• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Shannon Lashes Out on Facebook

On top of everything else, I believe Shannon is going through an identity crisis.

For this I have a great deal of sympathy.

Since she was a kid, her identity has been tied to basketball. First as a player. Then an Assistant Coach. Then a Head Coach. We're talking at least 40 years where basketball was integral to her identity--much of that time at one school, the University of Montana.

When other coaches get fired, it's easier to take the high road because they often move on to other coaching jobs. Maybe they take a demotion. But they're still coaches. Their egos may be bruised, but their identity remains intact.

For Shannon, that identity has been stripped--suddenly, emphatically, publicly. By the very school where she largely forged that identity.

As a younger man, I was a newspaper reporter. I loved that job. I loved being a reporter, telling people I was a reporter, enjoying the camaraderie of other reporters. But because I was in the wrong city and making little money, I left that identity behind for a better place.

Great move as I look back, but there ensued a period I now refer to as "my years of anguished seeking." Trying to replace that former identity with another. When I got to my own business--entrepreneur--my life opened up again.

I suspect Shannon is going through this anguish--one I know well. But she will get through it. She will come through this, with a great family, and the one enduring legacy that can never be taken away from her:

The Greatest Basketball Player in the History of the University of Montana.

There is a half-page ad on page c9 of today's Sunday Missoulian encouraging people to contact Seth Bodnar and Clay Christians in support of Shannon. Not a class move by somebody - move on and thank Shannon but let's not get into this mess. I understand the frustration on both sides, but this was not an irrational move by Haslam and Shannon got a fair shot at building a program. Enough.

I really just want to get on that page and ask one question. Does Shannon’s record after four years warrant her getting a contract extension?

I do think Haslam probably handled it wrong. But Shannon’s coaching record was not good enough. The players leaving was just icing on the cake.

citay said:
On top of everything else, I believe Shannon is going through an identity crisis.

For this I have a great deal of sympathy.

Since she was a kid, her identity has been tied to basketball. First as a player. Then an Assistant Coach. Then a Head Coach. We're talking at least 40 years where basketball was integral to her identity--much of that time at one school, the University of Montana.

When other coaches get fired, it's easier to take the high road because they often move on to other coaching jobs. Maybe they take a demotion. But they're still coaches. Their egos may be bruised, but their identity remains intact.

For Shannon, that identity has been stripped--suddenly, emphatically, publicly. By the very school where she largely forged that identity.

As a younger man, I was a newspaper reporter. I loved that job. I loved being a reporter, telling people I was a reporter, enjoying the camaraderie of other reporters. But because I was in the wrong city and making little money, I left that identity behind for a better place.

Great move as I look back, but there ensued a period I now refer to as "my years of anguished seeking." Trying to replace that former identity with another. When I got to my own business--entrepreneur--my life opened up again.

I suspect Shannon is going through this anguish--one I know well. But she will get through it. She will come through this, with a great family, and the one enduring legacy that can never be taken away from her:

The Greatest Basketball Player in the History of the University of Montana.

"stripped--suddenly, emphatically, publicly."

But for the 2 or 3 week period from the conversation about extension until the no-extension talk, nothing seems "sudden" to me. She was on the hottest for a year.

Shannon can do anything that she wants. Won't tarnish her legacy as a player. She's playing the crowd, a person could as far as saying manipulating people who obviously don't have or will not hear the information that the University has, those close to the program definitely have, and she surely has as to the issues that caused her dismissal. I've said this before, she has benefited greatly, and I mean greatly from an athletic department that valued each employee as not just a worker but a trusted family member. Had she been anywhere else, in any other college program, some of the things wouldn't have been handled the way they were. You can blame whomever you want but if you strip her prior legacy as a player here, you can make a simple argument that had she been Bob Stitt or some Jane Q Public off the street, she wouldn't have been given so much rope.

Haslam isn't perfect, and he butchered this situation massively. Had he been clear from the very beginning about those issues, and crystal clear both privately and publicly, I don't think we'd be here at this point. As I noted before, he's played his personnel decisions quiet and close to the vest, and he attempted to use that model again. But lets be clear here, his hand was forced because he was prepared to some degree to again ignore some of the more chronic issues with the program and offer a two year extension. He wasn't going to dismiss her and was willing to keep quiet many of the not so small issues that flagged her four year term as head coach. I'm just saying, I am not sure I'd want to poke the bear.

However, she and others need to own how poorly her four years went as a head coach of the program. Aside from record, and that 1-7 record against MSU hurts, there were a lot other issues that flagged her program. Some of those issues are tied to how Rob did things, unique Rob things, that she couldn't continue or carry out. I just don't think you could have done it constantly churning 4-6 players a year, bringing in new player after new player every year and expecting things to improve. Some of that falls on Shannon, some of it on the Athletic Department and some on the players.

The record speaks for itself and Shannon should acknowledge that. The non-renewal was likely not handled well but to me the decision by the AD was the right one without question. Shannon and Brian would be wise to take the high road and move on--both of you are way better than this. Let;'s all move on and GO Lady Griz for the next season

HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
She's going to end up tarnishing her Griz legend reputation.

When 2 good players go into the portal, with one going to a rival, and 3 others apparently go to the the AD (and perhaps president) to express their concerns (and potential plan to depart), something is very wrong with the program and big steps are necessary to save the program.

I don't know if Haslam handled the end part well or not, but he made the right decision, in my view. If I had to question what he did, I wonder if he should have not renewed last year, and wonder if he should have waited to talk to her this year until longer after the tourney. A first round loss, to a team you beat twice, and you say immediately or soon say that you plan to extend? Why say that so fast? Why not think about it for a week or two, and talk to returning players other others.

Hooked, why don't you re-post the Shannon stats you posted a few weeks ago. That told a lot of the story for me.

Ask and you shall receive!

- 52-69 record (42% wining percentage)
- 1-7 vs Cats
- 1-4 in Big Sky tourney
- only 5 players graduated under her in those 4 years
- 18 players with eligibility remaining left the program

This is the exact opposite of “getting it done on and off the court”
Will you please post in the Facebook group and provide the reality all these people need? :lol:

Grizfan-24 said:
Shannon is free to comment about any injustice if she wants but it works both ways. Haslam hasn't been forthcoming about a number of issues that led to her dismissal. I imagine she knows that, but again she can continue down whatever path that she wants.

Haslam has had over the course of his tenure a pretty clear about non-disclosure on personnel decisions beyond those that have become public knowledge. He was tight lipped on Stitt and very restrained with Plakorous. That has led to some strife between him and media types, but it does serve a purpose. He isn't just being vague here to send Shannon's supporters into a dither, he's just being consistent.

I'll be clear, I am not sure anyone is best interests (especially those within the program) are in airing everyone's dirty laundry in public. There is an iceberg principle here and I just don't think it serves anyone to completely undressing the Lady Griz's programs shortcomings in public.

As always, great post 24.

Griz til I die said:
HookedonGriz said:

- 1-7 vs Cats
- 1-4 in Big Sky tourney

Will you please post in the Facebook group and provide the reality all these people need? :lol:

I actually tried to but you have to join the group, and they are booting and deleting anyone who makes a negative comment. It’s the ultimate kumbaya over there.

Another consideration is that no one knows if Kent laid out possible contingencies during his initial discussion with Shannon. Perhaps he told her an extension would be available if there were no incidents of bad press/publicity to the program, or perhaps there were no more player defections.

I believe it's unfair to say that Kent handled the situation poorly when the only one telling a tale is Shannon. As has been pointed out, Kent is 100% consistent with the way he handles personnel decisions, and often his manners is not necessarily in his best interest, and leaves him open to criticism. If he could (or would) speak freely, the perception of poor handling may change.

To my mind at least, he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

EverettGriz said:
Another consideration is that no one knows if Kent laid out possible contingencies during his initial discussion with Shannon. Perhaps he told her an extension would be available if there were no incidents of bad press/publicity to the program, or perhaps there were no more player defections.

I believe it's unfair to say that Kent handled the situation poorly when the only one telling a tale is Shannon. As has been pointed out, Kent is 100% consistent with the way he handles personnel decisions, and often his manners is not necessarily in his best interest, and leaves him open to criticism. If he could (or would) speak freely, the perception of poor handling may change.

Very difficult decision for all involved for sure. In my opinion, Kent is handling this correctly, taking the high road. Shannon would have been better off just admitting that she is a young coach, she will get better, on and on. Right now she is showing exactly why there were issues in the locker room. Everyone is wrong at many points in their lives, admit it and move on, doesn't make you a bad person to be wrong, this is how you learn and become a better person. Tarnishing her legacy here, not a good idea in my opinion.

1972 said:
EverettGriz said:

Very difficult decision for all involved for sure. In my opinion, Kent is handling this correctly, taking the high road. Shannon would have been better off just admitting that she is a young coach, she will get better, on and on. Right now she is showing exactly why there were issues in the locker room. Everyone is wrong at many points in their lives, admit it and move on, doesn't make you a bad person to be wrong, this is how you learn and become a better person. Tarnishing her legacy here, not a good idea in my opinion.

Not only is Shannon tarnishing her legacy, she is making her future employment questionable. She is making getting another position at UM close to impossible, as well as a position at any other MUS school. ALL potential employers will look at her behavior with question. Additionally, she is making (probably with his consent) her husband's relationships within the athletic department, especially with the AD, very uncomfortable. Petrino held out the possibility that the Schweyen daughters may still stay on the team. How comfortable would they feel returning to the team? And how accepting would their teammates and coaches be? The decision has been made. It will not be reversed. Time to support Mike, his staff, and the 2020-21 Lady Griz.

maroonandsilver said:
1972 said:

Not only is Shannon tarnishing her legacy, she is making her future employment questionable. She is making getting another position at UM close to impossible, as well as a position at any other MUS school. ALL potential employers will look at her behavior with question. Additionally, she is making (probably with his consent) her husband's relationships within the athletic department, especially with the AD, very uncomfortable. Petrino held out the possibility that the Schweyen daughters may still stay on the team. How comfortable would they feel returning to the team? And how accepting would their teammates and coaches be? The decision has been made. It will not be reversed. Time to support Mike, his staff, and the 2020-21 Lady Griz.

:thumb:

HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
She's going to end up tarnishing her Griz legend reputation.

When 2 good players go into the portal, with one going to a rival, and 3 others apparently go to the the AD (and perhaps president) to express their concerns (and potential plan to depart), something is very wrong with the program and big steps are necessary to save the program.

I don't know if Haslam handled the end part well or not, but he made the right decision, in my view. If I had to question what he did, I wonder if he should have not renewed last year, and wonder if he should have waited to talk to her this year until longer after the tourney. A first round loss, to a team you beat twice, and you say immediately or soon say that you plan to extend? Why say that so fast? Why not think about it for a week or two, and talk to returning players other others.

Hooked, why don't you re-post the Shannon stats you posted a few weeks ago. That told a lot of the story for me.

- 1-7 vs Cats
- 1-4 in Big Sky tourney

Don't let the door hit you on your way out......you will have lots of time for social media :lol:

717s7e said:
There is a half-page ad on page c9 of today's Sunday Missoulian encouraging people to contact Seth Bodnar and Clay Christians in support of Shannon. Not a class move by somebody - move on and thank Shannon but let's not get into this mess. I understand the frustration on both sides, but this was not an irrational move by Haslam and Shannon got a fair shot at building a program. Enough.

Can the ad be linked or posted? I don't get the Missoulian, and didn't notice it online.

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/missoulian.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/eedition/1/79/1792e5b5-d2ab-52b7-b664-a28392f437af/5ea3d49e9afeb.magnified.jpg

This is the link to the page but not sure if you will be able to view it.

TrueGriz said:
https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/missoulian.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/eedition/1/79/1792e5b5-d2ab-52b7-b664-a28392f437af/5ea3d49e9afeb.magnified.jpg

This is the link to the page but not sure if you will be able to view it.

Thx. It was there.

EverettGriz said:

Well EG, I would say not doing right after the tourney loss was handling it poorly. The essence of time makes it seems odd. But I can't not argue with the ultimate decision.

I think Haslam bent over backwards to (possibly) renew her and that changed with the future defections. I am siding with Haslam on this, tough call but thats why you have the job.

After having four years to reflect on Shannon's performance, how could Haslam have conceivably reached the decision to give her a 2 year renewal. It certainly makes me question Haslam's administrative abilities.

As has been said, if Travis had a similar record, he would have been gone after 3 years. Does this mean that the AD is more concerned with what is happening with the male players than the female? That's not fair to the women.

By the way, if you haven't been to the Facebook site, this is a crusade to get the President and Board of Regents to fire Haslam and re-hire Shannon. It is turning into a feminist cause, as one would expect..

Back