• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Shannon Lashes Out on Facebook

grizzlygrumpa said:
On April 1 I posted in response to "moneyball" that the procedure used "smacked of the pflu treatment" i.e. the despicable high handed and inexcusable firing without cause of robin pflugrad. The whole aftermath of that has never been acknowledged ; not the Jordy Johnson trial and acquittal which then cost $250 000 in damage for his ordeal; the krakauer screed; the Stitt show; so one would think that when it came time to make this personnel decision Haslam would want to be as fair as he could and avoid any similar situation. The fact is he offered and she accepted a renewal of her contract and then he abruptly changed his mind i.e., "pulled the rug" . He was at least obligated to allow her 1 more year.

Wow I can see you're not biased in the least lol! You sir are officially nominated for idiotic post of the week. It would be truly dense to compare Shannon and Robin's situations as they are not in the least bit analogous. First and most importantly, Robin was a HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL head coach who had taken his team to the national semifinals a few months before his firing and had his team trending upwards. Pflugrad had Griz Nation's unquestioned support and most believed he would bring home a championship in the near future. Shannon, on the other hand, has taken a solid, but on the decline WBB program and made it substantially worse. I know Shannon very well personally and really like her, but there really is no doubt she did a piss poor job as HC and deserved to be fired. The fact is she had lost the confidence of the majority of her team. Additionally, Shannon's "focus" on her job rather than her social life was not all it should've been. If it had been anyone other than Shannon, she would have been let go long ago. The rash of player defections and her 1-7 record versus the Cats are no coincidence.

gotgame75 said:
grizzlygrumpa said:
On April 1 I posted in response to "moneyball" that the procedure used "smacked of the pflu treatment" i.e. the despicable high handed and inexcusable firing without cause of robin pflugrad. The whole aftermath of that has never been acknowledged ; not the Jordy Johnson trial and acquittal which then cost $250 000 in damage for his ordeal; the krakauer screed; the Stitt show; so one would think that when it came time to make this personnel decision Haslam would want to be as fair as he could and avoid any similar situation. The fact is he offered and she accepted a renewal of her contract and then he abruptly changed his mind i.e., "pulled the rug" . He was at least obligated to allow her 1 more year.

Wow I can see you're not biased in the least lol! You sir are officially nominated for idiotic post of the week. It would be truly dense to compare Shannon and Robin's situations as they are not in the least bit analogous. First and most importantly, Robin was a HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL head coach who had taken his team to the national semifinals a few months before his firing and had his team trending upwards. Pflugrad had Griz Nation's unquestioned support and most believed he would bring home a championship in the near future. Shannon, on the other hand, has taken a solid, but on the decline WBB program and made it substantially worse. I know Shannon very well personally and really like her, but there really is no doubt she did a piss poor job as HC and deserved to be fired. The fact is she had lost the confidence of the majority of her team. Additionally, Shannon's "focus" on her job rather than her social life was not all it should've been. If it had been anyone other than Shannon, she would have been let go long ago. The rash of player defections and her 1-7 record versus the Cats are no coincidence.

I liked the substance/views of your post. While I agree the 2 situations were very different, there was the common element of having been told they would get an extension.

The core problem is that Shannon is not a very good teacher. A big part of coaching is teaching, IMHO. When a team has chronic problems that show up throughout the season, like the LG’s inability to close out close games, compounded by chronically poor perimeter defense and the inability to make shots down the stretch, it’s the coach’s job to teach the players how to cope with, and eventually to overcome, the problems. These problems, which became obvious to fans as the season went on, continued to plague the team, even contributing to the loss to NAU in the tournament. Shannon was not able to correct them in practice. They led directly to losses to the Cats in Missoula, Idaho in OT on the road, SUU, and NAU.
It’s often the case that great players do not make great coaches or managers. This is often attributed to the fact that such players cannot teach average players the skills that came so naturally to them. I think Shannon is another example of a great player who did not become a good coach.

I see egriz has finally been drug into the Facebook group, and as expected, they wholeheartedly disagree with us :lol: what they fail to realize though, is they’re all basing their judgements off of Shannon being the greatest player in history. Most of them are friends with Shannon or personally know her. They fail to recognize what she did as a coach which is not much.

Highest injury rate in the big sky (by far), highest transfer rate in the big sky (by far), only 5 players graduated in 4 years. That’s really about all you need to look at to evaluate what she did as a coach. Come on #iamwith21movement :lol:

Egriz is somehow lower on the feeding scale than Facebook? That's hilarious. Facebook has set back social discourse back centuries. I mean it was solely responsible for sending our political debate in the deepest recesses of the septic tank of interpersonal communications.

This is a part of the grieving process of them. I've been a Lady Griz supporter for as long as I can remember, and I missed very, very few games over the years when I was in Missoula. Anyone with a soul recognizes that this was the worst possible end for a person that was and is one of the single most important figures in Montana hoops history. Maybe she deserved better treatment on her exit, but again it was hardly unfounded. This however wasn't a capricious despotic event led by a tin pot dictator.

There was no ulterior motive here, no nefarious activities by some deep state booster or Brutus-like machinations by Petrino. The more they go down that path, they are going to have to be fitted with tin-foil hats. Right now it is grieving, bargaining. It'll run its course.

Grizfan-24 said:
Egriz is somehow lower on the feeding scale than Facebook? That's hilarious. Facebook has set back social discourse back centuries. I mean it was solely responsible for sending our political debate in the deepest recesses of the septic tank of interpersonal communications.

This is a part of the grieving process of them. I've been a Lady Griz supporter for as long as I can remember, and I missed very, very few games over the years when I was in Missoula. Anyone with a soul recognizes that this was the worst possible end for a person that was and is one of the single most important figures in Montana hoops history. Maybe she deserved better treatment on her exit, but again it was hardly unfounded. This however wasn't a capricious despotic event led by a tin pot dictator.

There was no ulterior motive here, no nefarious activities by some deep state booster or Brutus-like machinations by Petrino. The more they go down that path, they are going to have to be fitted with tin-foil hats. Right now it is grieving, bargaining. It'll run its course.

Well put 24

Grizfan-24 said:

Just looking through that group makes my head hurt. While I agree that change needed to be made to restore stability to the program and I do feel bad for Shannon that she wasn't retained, this is an instance where a small group of people that felt she was wronged didn't look at the big picture of how the program was trending further downward under her tutelage. It's one thing to voice your displeasure about a big legacy name at UM not getting renewed, but to call for the heads of the athletic director, president, and head of the board of regents over that is taking it too far.

I grieved about her dismissal for all of a few hours when I learned of the news, and then moved on the following day. I wish these people would do the same.

BWahlberg said:
Grizfan-24 said:

Well put 24
:thumb:

PlayerRep said:
gotgame75 said:

I liked the substance/views of your post. While I agree the 2 situations were very different, there was the common element of having been told they would get an extension.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, other than what Shannon has been stating, do we know for sure that she was offered another year for certain?

Now they’re trying to say that Bodnar has told Haslam that he’s “walking a thin line”. they do realize that Haslam has to get Bodnar’s approval on any coaching changes right?

Griz til I die said:
Now they’re trying to say that Bodnar has told Haslam that he’s “walking a thin line”. they do realize that Haslam has to get Bodnar’s approval on any coaching changes right?

I call BS on the walking thin line thing from Bodnar. I can't imagine he would have said that in this situation, but if he had, no one would find out from him. Doesn't seem like something Haslam would be blabbing either.

That group seems to be dwelling on the final action, but I don't seem to see anyone wondering what happened between the possible extension talk and the non-renewal and led to the final action. No one in that group seems to want to address that elephant.

PlayerRep said:
Griz til I die said:

I call BS on the walking thin line thing from Bodnar. I can't imagine he would have said that in this situation, but if he had, no one would find out from him. Doesn't seem like something Haslam would be blabbing either.

I read through it a couple days ago. Sounds like a group of friends got together to create a “movement”. They profess to be Lady Griz fans then proceed to trash the program, some players and coaches. They are doing SCS a disservice, and tarnishing her legacy far more than any actions Haslam took. As an outsider, I can see it very clear.

We all know Haslam did not make this decision on his own. You can bet that Bodnar had to agree. How do we even know if it wasn’t Bodnar that went to Haslam and said, “we got a problem”, take care of it. Haslam perhaps never even made the call. We may never know.

But that group sounds like they thrive on hate and discord. Accept it, and move on. Nothing is ever going to happen that will satisfy them. They did out a prominent eGriz poster though.

Haven’t we beat this topic to death enough Griz fans? Despite all the rhetoric the bottom line is Shannon is no longer the Griz women’s basketball coach and Mike Petrino is, end of story. Deal with it and move on. It’s unfortunate that things didn’t go her way, that’s life and sometimes life sucks but her continued involvement in feeding the firestorm only diminishes her legacy in my humble opinion. The stats speak for themselves. For whatever reason, and there are many, she just couldn’t get everyone on the same page. I feel bad for her but now it’s time for her to turn her energies in to a more positive direction.

ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:

I read through it a couple days ago. Sounds like a group of friends got together to create a “movement”. They profess to be Lady Griz fans then proceed to trash the program, some players and coaches. They are doing SCS a disservice, and tarnishing her legacy far more than any actions Haslam took. As an outsider, I can see it very clear.

We all know Haslam did not make this decision on his own. You can bet that Bodnar had to agree. How do we even know if it wasn’t Bodnar that went to Haslam and said, “we got a problem”, take care of it. Haslam perhaps never even made the call. We may never know.

But that group sounds like they thrive on hate and discord. Accept it, and move on. Nothing is ever going to happen that will satisfy them. They did out a prominent eGriz poster though.

There is an ad today in the Billings Gazette (not a Griz friendly publication) by the #iamwith21 Movement asking for donations to a GoFundMe account to keep these ads running. Also asking you to contact Bodner and Clayton Christian to show your support. Maybe I will contact them to show support for the decision they did make.

I was hopeful that Shannon could have had a Rob-like career with the Lady Griz. It would have been an ultimate feel good story. It didn't pan out. I agree that if anyone other than Shannon had been the coach, they would have been gone way before now.

Sport said:
Haven’t we beat this topic to death enough Griz fans? Despite all the rhetoric the bottom line is Shannon is no longer the Griz women’s basketball coach and Mike Petrino is, end of story. Deal with it and move on. It’s unfortunate that things didn’t go her way, that’s life and sometimes life sucks but her continued involvement in feeding the firestorm only diminishes her legacy in my humble opinion. The stats speak for themselves. For whatever reason, and there are many, she just couldn’t get everyone on the same page. I feel bad for her but now it’s time for her to turn her energies in to a more positive direction.

+1

For those of you who have contributed to the “go fund me” account to continue this onslaught against Kent Haslam I have a suggestion for you. Why not put all of this extra effort and dollars into something more useful? Maybe even some of you could direct your efforts and dollars to a “go fund me” account for our overworked health care workers or the EMT workers who face life threatening perils everyday.

Back