• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sneed vs. Bauman

poorgriz said:
wbtfg said:
poorgriz said:
cmtgrizzly said:
I will be very interested to see if Andersen can have as big of an effect on the game from the linebacker position as he did from QB. I am sure they will use him on O some too but to be honest I think overall this may be a loss for the Cats. Troy was a big part of their offense last year and it seemed like alot of it came from him improvising and using his atheleticism to gain key first downs and touchdowns on long runs. I really dont think Baumann will be as effective from the QB positon as Andersen was even if he throws it better, and he may or may not. Even if they use Andersen on offense it wont be as frequently as if he was the starting QB which decreases his overall big play potential. I could be wrong but I just think he may have less overall efficacy and he was very effective last year.

Then why in the hell would Choate have made this move? Have you guys not seen enough yet to understand Jeff Choate knows what he's doing? Maybe this year after he beats you for the fourth year in a row, on the way to a first round bye and second round home playoff game while the griz sit at home, maybe then you'll begin to understand. :thumb:

It’s impossible to predict the future, but the big reason Troy isn’t playing qb is because Troy doesn’t want to play qb. He wants to play LB and he may have an opportunity at the next level as a lb.

That said, if Troy walked in to Choate’s office and said “I want to play qb” I have no doubt Troy would instantly be the starting qb. Choate loves the +1 run game.

But as it stands now, Troy WANTS to be a full time lb.

Disagree.

I disagree as well. If Choate thought he should be playing QB to win more games he would be playing QB. The coach’s job is to win games, not prep players for careers AFTER college.

poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
ilovethecats said:
wbtfg said:
It’s impossible to predict the future, but the big reason Troy isn’t playing qb is because Troy doesn’t want to play qb. He wants to play LB and he may have an opportunity at the next level as a lb.

That said, if Troy walked in to Choate’s office and said “I want to play qb” I have no doubt Troy would instantly be the starting qb. Choate loves the +1 run game.

It's always interesting to see all of the different takes in regards to players in this state. All we heard all year was what a joke it was for us to be playing our best linebacker at qb. We'll never win because we can't throw. Now this season we can apparently afford (hopefully afford) to put Troy where he wants to play. On defense. Suddenly the other side chimes in what a loss this is for our offense. :lol:

I understand it though. TA is an athlete we rarely see at this level. An in-state kid that can seemingly do it all. Pretty fun to talk about actually.

As wbtfg said, I think we'll still see TA on the offense side of the ball a decent amount. Just a little wrinkle to throw in there. But the kid wants to hit people. Our linebackers went from very mediocre last season to a group that I think can be one of the best in the league.

I agree with your basic point, but part of this will depend on how well the new qb performs.

While I don't know how athletic TA is, I would doubt this is true:

"TA is an athlete we rarely see at this level." FCS has lots of kids who are very athletic. Maybe the Cats and Griz don't get many of them, but other schools do. I think of the many good athletes that the Griz and Cats have had, and I don't think TA is better than most of them. Maybe he is, but I am not there yet. I like his competitiveness and ability to win as much or more than his athleticism.

You can define "athleticism" however you want but the reality is Troy Andersen is a freak of nature. 6' 3", 230 pounds and one of the fastest players in the FCS. Almost impossible to tackle one on one. I mean you could tackle him, but most couldn't. :lol:

"one of the fastest players in the FCS"

Says who?

poorgriz said:
cmtgrizzly said:
I will be very interested to see if Andersen can have as big of an effect on the game from the linebacker position as he did from QB. I am sure they will use him on O some too but to be honest I think overall this may be a loss for the Cats. Troy was a big part of their offense last year and it seemed like alot of it came from him improvising and using his atheleticism to gain key first downs and touchdowns on long runs. I really dont think Baumann will be as effective from the QB positon as Andersen was even if he throws it better, and he may or may not. Even if they use Andersen on offense it wont be as frequently as if he was the starting QB which decreases his overall big play potential. I could be wrong but I just think he may have less overall efficacy and he was very effective last year.

Then why in the hell would Choate have made this move? Have you guys not seen enough yet to understand Jeff Choate knows what he's doing? Maybe this year after he beats you for the fourth year in a row, on the way to a first round bye and second round home playoff game while the griz sit at home, maybe then you'll begin to understand. :thumb:

Your fellow cat fan has it right. Troy wanted to play linebacker, it was said in a recent interview. Choate did not indicate he felt losing Andersen at QB was his first choice.

ilovethecats said:
wbtfg said:
poorgriz said:
cmtgrizzly said:

It's always interesting to see all of the different takes in regards to players in this state. All we heard all year was what a joke it was for us to be playing our best linebacker at qb. We'll never win because we can't throw. Now this season we can apparently afford (hopefully afford) to put Troy where he wants to play. On defense. Suddenly the other side chimes in what a loss this is for our offense. :lol:

I understand it though. TA is an athlete we rarely see at this level. An in-state kid that can seemingly do it all. Pretty fun to talk about actually.

As wbtfg said, I think we'll still see TA on the offense side of the ball a decent amount. Just a little wrinkle to throw in there. But the kid wants to hit people. Our linebackers went from very mediocre last season to a group that I think can be one of the best in the league.

You guys are way overstating what I said as it fits your agenda. I never said “big loss”, “huge loss”, “what a loss”. I also never said anything about you guys using him as a QB last year, another fabrication. I am also one person and certainly dont speak for “the other side”. I simply was making the point that Andersen is a great asset for your team and being at QB gives him the most opportunity to impact the game and he certainly did last year. Furthermore, I have always been pretty complementary toward Choate. You are welcome for the opportunity to expunge some anxiety and energy with some posts that were all about making yourselves better about your upcoming year. All therapy is free here. Must be why you all come back so frequently.

cmtgrizzly said:
poorgriz said:
cmtgrizzly said:

Your fellow cat fan has it right. Troy wanted to play linebacker, it was said in a recent interview. Choate did not indicate he felt losing Andersen at QB was his first choice.

No. If Choate made decisions about what was in specific players' interests that would not be fair to the rest of the team and the health of the program in general. I'm not saying there is zero player input into that decision process... i.e. "Jacob, we're thinking about moving you from DE to TE based on depth issues, what do you think about that?" If Choate actually felt TA was hands down our best QB and we're going to win more games at QB with him there, that's where he'd be.

If Justin Herbert came to his coach in the Fall and said coach, I'm not feeling QB any more, can you move me to linebacker? NOT HAPPENING!!

That Justin Herbert analogy is about as dumb as they come. He is possibly the best QB in the west and can’t play LB. Makes no sense at all for him or the team to switch.
That is completely opposite for TA. He’s the best QB you got, but he could be the 2nd best LB in the conference. Should his interest be in his own future, or to continue to save Choaches’ bacon?
TA’s situation is not like most players. Without him, Choach has an even worse losing record, and they know it. But exceptions are made for exceptional circumstances.
We’ve all heard how after Choach put TA thru the ringer last year, he let TA pick his position this year. Does anyone NOT believe that?
With that playoff win, TA just bought choach 5 more years, so it’s ok to reward him with a switch back, at least for now.

garizzalies said:
That Justin Herbert analogy is about as dumb as they come. He is possibly the best QB in the west and can’t play LB. Makes no sense at all for him or the team to switch.
That is completely opposite for TA. He’s the best QB you got, but he could be the 2nd best LB in the conference. Should his interest be in his own future, or to continue to save Choaches’ bacon?
TA’s situation is not like most players. Without him, Choach has an even worse losing record, and they know it. But exceptions are made for exceptional circumstances.
We’ve all heard how after Choach put TA thru the ringer last year, he let TA pick his position this year. Does anyone NOT believe that?
With that playoff win, TA just bought choach 5 more years, so it’s ok to reward him with a switch back, at least for now.

Garizzalies, do you stay up all night making this stuff up? Can't wait for this season to unfold. We will see that Choates building strategy is right-on. Sorry guy, but your take on this situation is way off base.

bigsky33 said:
garizzalies said:

Garizzalies, do you stay up all night making this stuff up? Can't wait for this season to unfold. We will see that Choates building strategy is right-on. Sorry guy, but your take on this situation is way off base.

de82dce7-5e90-4074-b5f4-58acbdadd81b.jpg.w1920.jpg

Back