• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Some Ask a Taboo Question: Is America Overreacting to Coronavirus?

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
NBC News @NBCNews
8h
Scientists warn of a potential wave of coronavirus-related brain damage as new evidence suggests COVID-19 can lead to severe neurological complications, including inflammation, psychosis and delirium.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/scientists-warn-potential-wave-covid-linked-brain-damage-n1233150?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

Thanks for the article.

I've conducted a study of the Covid in our greater family. An older unhealthy black uncle of someone a nephew is married to, got it and died fairly quickly in Atlanta. One of our sons and his wife has had it for less than the week, and has had minor symptoms. He started working out, at home, on day 2. I assume he is mildly depressed because he couldn't do his fishing trip to Alaska with his buddies, which is why he took the test. His younger spouse was a bit sicker, and achey. My nurse niece had a high fever, and tested positive. Woke up completely fine today with no symptoms. If that holds, hers will have lasted 18 hours. She has to isolate for 72 more hours. Hopefully, none of them have the lingering brain problem cited in the linked article. Fingers crossed. Obviously, the virus impacts people in very different ways.

A doctor friend told me about the brain issues a few days ago. He believes older and unhealthy people should be very careful, but go about their lives as best they can and not freak out. He's telling his and our kids that they need to be careful and not end up giving the covid to their families.
Inflammation of the brain is very painful. I had encephalitis at age 15 and could have died. If the Covid-19 virus can result in brain damage to some, caution is a must.

ilovethecats said:
grizindabox said:
Maritsa Georgiou @MaritsaNBCMT
10m
#BREAKING The Missoula City-County Board of Health unanimously votes to pass and enact rule requiring face coverings in all Missoula Co. businesses and indoor public spaces. #mtnews #COVID19

I'm sure the rest of our larger counties will follow suit.

It will be interesting to see what kind of impact this will have, and how quickly we'll notice a difference if everyone is required masks in public.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the mask mandate doing a whole lot. Here in NM we have been mandated to wear masks in public for 2 months now, and yet our cases continue to rise. Our restaurants were allowed to have indoor service at 50% capacity, but the governor announced today that, as of the 13th, they must go back to takeout and delivery only. However, even her health and human services cabinet secretary (who is a doctor) says that he believes that the majority of the spread is coming from large family and private gatherings where people are closely mingling without masks. Imagine that. We have been under very strict lockdown here and I think people are just fed up, especially the younger crowd who don't see much risk to themselves. How do you fix that? I don't think you do at this point.

Da Boyz Mom said:
ilovethecats said:

It will be interesting to see what kind of impact this will have, and how quickly we'll notice a difference if everyone is required masks in public.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the mask mandate doing a whole lot. Here in NM we have been mandated to wear masks in public for 2 months now, and yet our cases continue to rise. Our restaurants were allowed to have indoor service at 50% capacity, but the governor announced today that, as of the 13th, they must go back to takeout and delivery only. However, even her health and human services cabinet secretary (who is a doctor) says that he believes that the majority of the spread is coming from large family and private gatherings where people are closely mingling without masks. Imagine that. We have been under very strict lockdown here and I think people are just fed up, especially the younger crowd who don't see much risk to themselves. How do you fix that? I don't think you do at this point.

I see that NM just pushed high school football and soccer to the spring.

Spanky2 said:
PlayerRep said:
Thanks for the article.

I've conducted a study of the Covid in our greater family. An older unhealthy black uncle of someone a nephew is married to, got it and died fairly quickly in Atlanta. One of our sons and his wife has had it for less than the week, and has had minor symptoms. He started working out, at home, on day 2. I assume he is mildly depressed because he couldn't do his fishing trip to Alaska with his buddies, which is why he took the test. His younger spouse was a bit sicker, and achey. My nurse niece had a high fever, and tested positive. Woke up completely fine today with no symptoms. If that holds, hers will have lasted 18 hours. She has to isolate for 72 more hours. Hopefully, none of them have the lingering brain problem cited in the linked article. Fingers crossed. Obviously, the virus impacts people in very different ways.

A doctor friend told me about the brain issues a few days ago. He believes older and unhealthy people should be very careful, but go about their lives as best they can and not freak out. He's telling his and our kids that they need to be careful and not end up giving the covid to their families.
Inflammation of the brain is very painful. I had encephalitis at age 15 and could have died. If the Covid-19 virus can result in brain damage to some, caution is a must.

Totally agree Spank, they still don’t know the long term potential of this virus yet some of the fellas about 25% are being pretty cavalier because they are young healthy and invincible so they don’t need to mask up like a bunch of pussies. Problem is the mask is for the protection of the broke down immune compromised rest of the population of pussies like me who dont want to die from this fucking virus by playing like Nikki in the Deerhunter. The mask is not a pink ribbon or rainbow ribbon or red or blue ribbon, think of more like a victory garden or war bond drive, like a very patriotic thing to be doing like standing (or kneeling) for the anthem show due respect for a symbol that represents everyone’s hope and dreams of what it means to each of us be an American. Ask what we can all do for our country to keep it safe for all of its children and grand parents and sons and daughters and husbands and wives. Right on. please everyone take good care as this thing continues to spread, death rate is down let’s try and keep it there. :thumb:

Da Boyz Mom said:
ilovethecats said:

Along the same line as your post, I sent the following email to the Missoula mayor last week (and posted this in this thread):

"See (below) what Cindy Farr said in the Missoulian recently. How would requiring masks in licensed business solve the problem that Cindy has stated? Where’s the data showing how many people have been infected in licensed businesses in Missoula or Missoula County? It drives me nuts when people just pull ideas out of a hat, and they have no data to back up the idea. Maybe there is data. If so, articulate it.

"Cindy Farr, incident commander for the local Health Department's COVID-19 response team, [said] in her daily briefing on Wednesday.

"The cases indicate that we are affecting those closest to us, those that we probably care about the most and are spending the most time with. We’re seeing families, friends and workplaces affected."

If the Missoula cases are affecting people who know each other, i.e. families, friends and work colleagues, why would masks in licensed businesses be necessary or helpful?"

For argh and others:

I mentioned this company several weeks ago, in a discussion about MT companies involved with Covid research. There was a short discussion on the company. The company just raised a large chunk of VC money.

"Inimmune raises $22 Million in Series A Funding Led by Two Bear Capital
July 9, 2020 – For Immediate release Contact: Liz Marchi 406-249-0637
(Missoula, MT)

Inimmune, www.inimmune.com, a biotechnology company developing immune therapies and components for more effective vaccines, announced today that it raised $22 million in Series A funding. It was the Missoula-based company’s first outside investment. The round was led by Two Bear Capital, www.twobearcapital.com, a new firm based in Whitefish, Montana. Two Bear Capital Founder and Managing Partner Michael Goguen will join Inimmune’s board of directors.

“We are excited to partner with Two Bear Capital for this Series A investment. We could have looked outside of Montana for investors but were happy to find a local VC firm that connected with our vision to grow a world-class biotech company right here in Montana,” said Dr. Jay Evans, President and CEO at Inimmune.

The company plans to use the Series A investment to advance at least two late-stage pre-clinical drug candidates in oncology and allergy through Phase I human clinical trials.
Inimmune is nationally recognized for its innovative approach to treatments leveraging the immune system, especially its development of novel adjuvants, which are compounds added to therapies to improve or direct an immune response. Adjuvants are an important component in safe, effective vaccines. Inimmune has partnered with the University of Montana in the urgent race to develop a vaccine against COVID-19. Inimmune is also advancing immune-based therapies for a variety of other dangerous emerging pathogens, such as antibiotic resistant infections.

“Effectively harnessing the incredible power of the human immune system has the potential to prevent or cure the most devastating diseases faced by humanity – from Covid-19, to cancer, to neurodegenerative diseases and more – and the need for solutions today is more urgent than ever,” said Two Bear Capital’s Michael Goguen. “The team at Inimmune combines world-class immunology and vaccine expertise, proven track records and a passion for solving some of the most important medical crises of our time. We are honored to be partners with them as they advance their promising therapies to the next level.”
Inimmune was started in 2016 by co-founders Drs. Kendal Ryter, Helene Bazin- Lee, David Burkhart and Jay Evans, along with a team of 11 experienced scientists from GlaxoSmithKline. In addition to the co-founders, Inimmune employs an experienced team of chemists, immunologists and formulation scientists with a track record of notable achievements in synthetic molecule development, immunology, and drug delivery. The company has raised more than $12 million in research grants and contracts since 2016, including a recent $2 million grant from the National Institutes of Health.

ABOUT INIMMUNE:
Inimmune Corp. (Missoula, MT) is a privately held biotechnology company focused on the discovery and development of innovative immunotherapeutics and vaccines. Inimmune is harnessing the human immune system to create safe and effective treatments for allergy, infectious disease, autoimmunity and cancer. Their laboratories and offices are housed in the Montana Technology Enterprise Center (MonTEC) in Missoula.

ABOUT TWO BEAR CAPITAL:
Two Bear Capital (TBC) was founded and is led by venture capitalist and Montana philanthropist Michael Goguen. With associates in Whitefish, MT, the San Francisco Bay area and San Diego, CA, TBC invests in early stage companies with disruptive innovations at the intersections of biotech, bioinformatics, machine learning / AI and cybersecurity that deliver dramatically better solutions to the most critical problems affecting human health, security and wellness."

This article about blood type is interesting. I would like argh! to provide a few professional articles about Sickle Cell Anemia if he would be so kind.

https://www-latimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-07-09/link-between-covid-19-and-blood-type?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&_amp=true&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.latimes.com%2Fscience%2Fstory%2F2020-07-09%2Flink-between-covid-19-and-blood-type

Dutch Lane said:
Spanky2 said:

Totally agree Spank, they still don’t know the long term potential of this virus yet some of the fellas about 25% are being pretty cavalier because they are young healthy and invincible so they don’t need to mask up like a bunch of pussies. Problem is the mask is for the protection of the broke down immune compromised rest of the population of pussies like me who dont want to die from this f###[#] virus by playing like Nikki in the Deerhunter. The mask is not a pink ribbon or rainbow ribbon or red or blue ribbon, think of more like a victory garden or war bond drive, like a very patriotic thing to be doing like standing (or kneeling) for the anthem show due respect for a symbol that represents everyone’s hope and dreams of what it means to each of us be an American. Ask what we can all do for our country to keep it safe for all of its children and grand parents and sons and daughters and husbands and wives. Right on. please everyone take good care as this thing continues to spread, death rate is down let’s try and keep it there. :thumb:

Dutch Lane said:
argh! said:
what, 3+ years wasn't enough to get ppe ready for trump? c'mon greenie, you are more rational than that most of the time!

enjoy the lake.

The reason PRs credibility keeps dwindling on this thread is he will claim he dislikes Trump and we shouldn’t listen to our lying ears and eyes when Trump tweets or spouts off crazy bullshit in one post and then another post he will defend Trump strongly at every turn in his other posts. It’s like he pretends, I believe that is called cognitive dissonance.

I take responsibility for some of this when I asked you way back how could Trump credibly claim to have inherited bad tests for a virus that didn’t yet exist when Obama was president. Rather then just accept Trump for the proven pathological liar that he is, PR stared splashing. Do you remember that diatribe where he tried to explain away Trumps complete lie by arguing Trump doesn’t use words precisely and we shouldn’t take what he says seriously or some dumb shit like that. Then he claims Trump meant the red tape regarding testing left in place by Obama. Then when it was reported that red tape was in fact never adopted by Congress or the FDA under Obama, he went back to railing on that Trump didn’t really mean the word “tests” he meant the entire testing program and the CDC and the like. The best part is after PR did all this splaining, Trump continued to claim he he inherited a bad test from Obama and his administration.

PR, please don’t bother to respond to this, we had that debate already and you failed miserably in your defense of the fella in Whitehouse who you claim to dislike. I agree with Arg! Trump had 3 1/2 years to put his own people and policies in place, cut any red tape, and to make sure the strategic stockpile was being managed and stocked adequately by his administration for a likely pandemic that both Bush and Obama administrations correctly predicted was coming. But Remember this blast from the past “nobody could have predicted a pandemic like coronavirus.” PR, what did he really mean to convey there? No no please don’t answer, I was making a joke. Please just ignore this post like you ignore Trumps abject incompetence in failing to lead his and our country though the pandemic. Thanks :thumb:
I think Dutch and PR should do a podcast together. It would be highly entertaining. Because this is entertaining as hell reading you two poke each other.

grizindabox said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

I see that NM just pushed high school football and soccer to the spring.

Correct. And actually it's probably a good thing. Outdoor exercise was an exception to the mask rule but the governor is now changing that. Football practice usually starts the first of August here, when we are often still experiencing very hot weather. Football+masks+hot weather seems like a terrible combination to me.

I am not at all confident schools will be allowed to open this fall either. NM is already at the very bottom of the country in education and this is only going to make things worse.

PlayerRep said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

Along the same line as your post, I sent the following email to the Missoula mayor last week (and posted this in this thread):

"See (below) what Cindy Farr said in the Missoulian recently. How would requiring masks in licensed business solve the problem that Cindy has stated? Where’s the data showing how many people have been infected in licensed businesses in Missoula or Missoula County? It drives me nuts when people just pull ideas out of a hat, and they have no data to back up the idea. Maybe there is data. If so, articulate it.

"Cindy Farr, incident commander for the local Health Department's COVID-19 response team, [said] in her daily briefing on Wednesday.

"The cases indicate that we are affecting those closest to us, those that we probably care about the most and are spending the most time with. We’re seeing families, friends and workplaces affected."

If the Missoula cases are affecting people who know each other, i.e. families, friends and work colleagues, why would masks in licensed businesses be necessary or helpful?"

Exactly. There is zero proof that the virus is being spread via restaurants here, yet the governor must be seen as "doing something" to contain the spread, so closing restaurants was her brilliant idea.

Here's another nonsensical closing - half of our state parks are completely closed, and the other half are only open for day use. No camping allowed. I guess the virus spreads like wildfire among families camping outdoors at least 50 feet from each other. So many of these rules and closures make absolutely no sense. I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone.

Da Boyz Mom said:
PlayerRep said:

Exactly. There is zero proof that the virus is being spread via restaurants here, yet the governor must be seen as "doing something" to contain the spread, so closing restaurants was her brilliant idea.

Here's another nonsensical closing - half of our state parks are completely closed, and the other half are only open for day use. No camping allowed. I guess the virus spreads like wildfire among families camping outdoors at least 50 feet from each other. So many of these rules and closures make absolutely no sense. I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone.
Camping spots in Seeley last weekend were packed but I agree with you that camping might be the healthiest option for people to enjoy life right now. I had a friend that suggested loosening open container laws in Missoula to allow social distancing. I laughed at first but honestly it makes complete sense.

UncleRico said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

Camping spots in Seeley last weekend were packed but I agree with you that camping might be the healthiest option for people to enjoy life right now. I had a friend that suggested loosening open container laws in Missoula to allow social distancing. I laughed at first but honestly it makes complete sense.

I’m pretty sure Butte doesn’t have an open container law, or at least when I was growing up it didn’t. Maybe now they do but just don’t on St. Pats. Maybe one of the fellas from the mining city knows. But it makes more sense then drinking in a crowded social distancing taproom. IMO cheers for doing away with oppressive prohibition style limits on personal freedom. Come on who’s with me this one? Come on you 2A freakers and mask boycotters this is also a cause worth fighting for. Beer outside in the summer time in the streets of our cities and in the stadiums on our beloved campuses. :thumb:

Dutch Lane said:
UncleRico said:

I’m pretty sure Butte doesn’t have an open container law, or at least when I was growing up it didn’t. Maybe now they do but just don’t on St. Pats. Maybe one of the fellas from the mining city knows. But it makes more sense then drinking in a crowded social distancing taproom. IMO cheers for doing away with oppressive prohibition style limits on personal freedom. Come on who’s with me this one? Come on you 2A freakers and mask boycotters this is also a cause worth fighting for. Beer outside in the summer time in the streets of our cities and in the stadiums on our beloved campuses. :thumb:

I don't even drink alcohol but I think this is a worthwhile idea. Bars here have been completely closed since March, while restaurants have been open sporadically at least. (And I guess are being allowed to continue patio service at limited occupancy which I just found out). Why not have outdoor beer gardens? Can't be any riskier than say, protesting...

Dutch Lane said:
UncleRico said:

Preach Brother

Dutch Lane said:
UncleRico said:

I believe there is an open container ordinance in Butte but only 2am-6am, or something like that, and not during festivals. The early-bird spin dry. I think there is one or two walk-up bars. One of the toughest bars in town has a free limo service.

garizzalies said:
Dutch Lane said:
I believe there is an open container ordinance in Butte but only 2am-6am, or something like that, and not during festivals. The early-bird spin dry. I think there is one or two walk-up bars. One of the toughest bars in town has a free limo service.

Thanks for the information, that’s what I will always love about butte its practical and makes sense. Who needs to be having an open container from 2am to 6 am? Now 1:59 am or 6:01 am damn straight you should be able have an open container outside enjoying your beer or other favorite beverage. Which bar would that be with the limo? I’m gonna guess the pair a dice, no? :thumb:

PlayerRep said:
Dutch Lane said:
That’s a lot to unpack. Let’s start with Flynn because his unmasking controversy was a huge deal. Well, it turns out because the Kislyak phone calls were recorded and transcribed by the FBI and not the NSA, his name was never masked in the first placed. May 20, 2020 Wapo story “ Michael Flynn’s name was never masked in FBI document on his communications with Russian Ambassador.” So in reality it was actually Flynn who unmasked himself when he made the calls.Lol So that’s a fallacy that is still being promoted by Hannity and Trump, even after his new director of national intelligence told Sen. Graham’s subcommittee. So theres that. Trump has been saying that the unmasking of Flynn was part of Obamagate. He is obviously not telling the truth then right? Am I missing something fellas?

PR, I was talking to a judge this weekend who said if the Supreme Court dismisses the guilty pleas entered by Flynn, then the crime of lying to the FBI could never credibly be prosecuted and he would never take it as a serious crime again if Flynn who is the head of the entire national security apparatus can lie in an FBI interview about a call to the Russians. He was like what materially bigger lie is there. He was like how the [#]f### can I ever credibility sentence a kid say for lying to the FBI about his fraudulent student loan application. He has a good point. I know the next time I have a client who is charged with lying I’ll cite only Flynn in my sentencing memorandum. Barr has basically de-nutted the FBI in order to save Trump from having to pardon Flynn which would look bad. I think it’s a bullshit crime myself and is used primarily to squeeze co-defendants to proffer each other. But believe me people do routinely go to prison for lying to the FBI and it’s mostly for really petty lies. It happens everyday to poor bastards who aren’t connected to the president. Hannity finally got something right there are two tiers of justice in our country. Lol.

I said Congress released unmasking info; didm't mention Flynn in that regard. In point of fact, Flynn conversations were unmasked multiple times. Flynn did not unmask himself; that is just a dumb statement. Whether detected by NSA or FBI, that information is confidential intelligence information and it's illegal to leak it. Leaking of often worse then the initial step of unmasking. I hope a reporter or two gets in trouble over leaks. The leaking, and publishing of that info, is very inappropriate.

If you really did talk to a judge who said those things, those comments are wrong and inappropriate. The FBI agents who interviewed Flynn initially didn't believe he lied, and the whole thing was going to be dropped, until Comey et al decided to keep it alive in order to keep "investigating". Also, it's improper to start or continue an invalid investigation, set up/entrap someone, and then charge them with lying to the FBI. It's also improper to withhold favorable information from the defense. Surprising that a dui lawyer doesn't know and appreciate that.

Barr is a terrific AG. Glad he's smart, experienced and tough, and trying to get to the bottom of all this, correct some of the abuses and wrongs, and discourage anything like this happening again. Again, I believe of these people will be charged.
Did you see where Judge Sullivan petitioned the DC circuit for en banc review? What’s your prediction of the decision? I’m thinking it gets granted and the decision is reversed. The court split is 7-4 Democrat appointed judges, so yeah the case is getting remanded for a hearing in front of Sullivan. Question is when will Trump finally intervene and stop letting him twist in the wind?

Back