• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Some Good Basketball Going On ...

DPGriz said:
Duke really put a pretty bad team around Zion and the rest of the freshmen. No shooters, no depth, just hoping for Zion to do everything and it wasn't enough once they got to the tourney.
And if Zion doesn't go pro, with his NBA expectations, he'd be an idiot. Too much $$$ to stay in college.

IdaGriz01 said:
DPGriz said:
Duke really put a pretty bad team around Zion and the rest of the freshmen. No shooters, no depth, just hoping for Zion to do everything and it wasn't enough once they got to the tourney.
And if Zion doesn't go pro, with his NBA expectations, he'd be an idiot. Too much $$$ to stay in college.

No chance he comes back. Ditto Barrett and Reddish so a ton to replace for K and Duke. Currently only have the 10th ranked recruiting class on 247 and 6th ranked on Rivals so they're probably in for a relatively rough year, at least by Duke standards.

DPGriz said:
IdaGriz01 said:
DPGriz said:
No chance he comes back. Ditto Barrett and Reddish so a ton to replace for K and Duke. Currently only have the 10th ranked recruiting class on 247 and 6th ranked on Rivals so they're probably in for a relatively rough year, at least by Duke standards.
Zion is set ... since he showed a good recovery from his injury.

Have not heard how Reddish stands health-wise. If he's considered "damaged goods," that could make a big difference in his potential draft status.

Just glad Duke lost. Not sure who I'll be rooting for next weekend, probably MSU, as I like Izzo.

Amazing turnaround in the NIT. Lipscomb (regular-season winner in the Atlantic Sun) just beat Wichita State, 71-64. Now WSU was just a so-so team in the AAC, but they had a 7 point lead with about 3:30 left in the game ... and never scored again. So the Lips advance to the championship game of the NIT. (In case you're wondering, Lipscomb is a private school located in Nashville.)

IdaGriz01 said:
Amazing turnaround in the NIT. Lipscomb (regular-season winner in the Atlantic Sun) just beat Wichita State, 71-64. Now WSU was just a so-so team in the AAC, but they had a 7 point lead with about 3:30 left in the game ... and never scored again. So the Lips advance to the championship game of the NIT. (In case you're wondering, Lipscomb is a private school located in Nashville.)
Lipscomb was a good mid-major team this year, but unfortunately didn't have the resume to gain an at large NCAA tournament bid. Glad they've made it to the NIT championship.

grizband said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Lipscomb was a good mid-major team this year, but unfortunately didn't have the resume to gain an at large NCAA tournament bid. Glad they've made it to the NIT championship.
Wichita State is a fairly talented team (as is Lipscomb), but you could tell -- toward the end -- that Lipscomb just wanted it more.

IdaGriz01 said:

Pretty amazing what they have done this year.

Back in the 80's/90's, Belmont and Lipscomb were NAIA powers. Belmont went DI first, led by Rick Byrd. Lipscomb followed a couple years later - Lipscomb's longtime coach left the school because of this, and they struggled mightly after that, while Belmont surged.

This is the first year that Lipscomb has come close to Belmont's level.

Belmont and Lipscomb are about 1 mile apart on either end of Belmont Boulevard. I used to work near the Lipscomb campus and actually have seen NAU play there (back in 2000) - NAU won.

Auburn played Virginia tough in the first half and built a three point lead. But they've gone crazy for 3-pointers so far in the 2nd half ... and the shots are not falling. Not in dire straits yet, but need to tighten up.

fanofzoo said:
Auburn got hosed by the ref's.
My opinion, for sure ... on several levels.

Aside from some other questionable (at best) calls, the final call was total BS ... and a pet peeve: Defender goes up, arms extended over his shoulders (maybe hie "leaned" slightly , maybe not). Shooter leaps into him (across a clear gap, I would observe) ... foul called on the defender. Basically, under the current "interpretation" of the rules, defenders pretty much cannot move a muscle, while the offensive player can leap anywhere he wants to get off a shot.

We've seen plenty of cases where the shooter actually moved sideways, or at least at an angle, into the defender and still gets the call. I know they want to encourage offense, but it's gotten totally ridiculous.

grizindabox said:
fanofzoo said:
The missed double dribble was the game.
Probably, yet Auburn still had a chance after that screw-up by the refs. None of the so-called "experts" are willing to come right out and say it (so far). But even their weasel words say that bad officiating decided that game (the wrong way).

I'm not much for "conspiracy" theories, but it's hard to avoid the thought that the refs chose (for whatever reason) to "protect" the one remaining 1-seed in the field.

IdaGriz01 said:
fanofzoo said:

Aside from some other questionable (at best) calls, the final call was total BS ... and a pet peeve: Defender goes up, arms extended over his shoulders (maybe hie "leaned" slightly , maybe not). Shooter leaps into him (across a clear gap, I would observe) ... foul called on the defender. Basically, under the current "interpretation" of the rules, defenders pretty much cannot move a muscle, while the offensive player can leap anywhere he wants to get off a shot.

We've seen plenty of cases where the shooter actually moved sideways, or at least at an angle, into the defender and still gets the call. I know they want to encourage offense, but it's gotten totally ridiculous.

That was a foul all the way. Shooter was straight up and defender jumped into him.

grizindabox said:
IdaGriz01 said:
fanofzoo said:

That was a foul all the way. Shooter was straight up and defender jumped into him.

The shooter was definitely fouled. When a shooter goes straight up, the defender is to give the shooter room to land safely. The defender was absolutely in that space. As for the missed double dribble, the refs blew it.

grizindabox said:
IdaGriz01 said:
fanofzoo said:

Agreed. It was the right call, technically. But I still wish they would just swallow the whistle in the last few seconds. I don't really think the foul affected Guy's shot in any real way.

PeauxRouge said:
grizindabox said:
IdaGriz01 said:
fanofzoo said:

Agreed. It was the right call, technically. But I still wish they would just swallow the whistle in the last few seconds. I don't really think the foul affected Guy's shot in any real way.

If it is a foul you have to call it even with 1.5 seconds left.

Have seen enough replays to say that the final call against the Auburn defender was maybe correct. But the fact is that, it should not have come down to that ... had the refs not made the earlier d-dribble screw-up. Since we picked (by the numbers) Virginia, it worked out for us ... A-OK (but not very happy about it).

Meanwhile, we went against the numbers and picked the "hot team" in T Tech ... and they won. Will probably pick the Red Raiders for the finals. They've looked really good while Virginia has struggled in several games. But we're a bit worried because the Auburn game is not the first where VA seems to have benefited from the officiating.

IdaGriz01 said:
Have seen enough replays to say that the final call against the Auburn defender was maybe correct.

It was correct. But you are correct that the missed double dribble was the issue.

Back