• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Some Good Basketball Going On ...

grizindabox said:
PeauxRouge said:
grizindabox said:
IdaGriz01 said:
My opinion, for sure ... on several levels.

Aside from some other questionable (at best) calls, the final call was total BS ... and a pet peeve: Defender goes up, arms extended over his shoulders (maybe hie "leaned" slightly , maybe not). Shooter leaps into him (across a clear gap, I would observe) ... foul called on the defender. Basically, under the current "interpretation" of the rules, defenders pretty much cannot move a muscle, while the offensive player can leap anywhere he wants to get off a shot.

We've seen plenty of cases where the shooter actually moved sideways, or at least at an angle, into the defender and still gets the call. I know they want to encourage offense, but it's gotten totally ridiculous.

That was a foul all the way. Shooter was straight up and defender jumped into him.

Agreed. It was the right call, technically. But I still wish they would just swallow the whistle in the last few seconds. I don't really think the foul affected Guy's shot in any real way.

If it is a foul you have to call it even with 1.5 seconds left.
The refs let them play the whole game, should not be decided in the last second.

fanofzoo said:
grizindabox said:
PeauxRouge said:
grizindabox said:
That was a foul all the way. Shooter was straight up and defender jumped into him.

Agreed. It was the right call, technically. But I still wish they would just swallow the whistle in the last few seconds. I don't really think the foul affected Guy's shot in any real way.

The refs let them play the whole game, should not be decided in the last second.

That is a crappy take. There are rules and officials are supposed to follow them. They are supposed to call fouls, and it that case, the official didn't decide the game, the guy fouling the shooter and that player making 3 free throws did. I guess you feel that the missed double dribble was fine because the officials shouldn't decide the game?

grizindabox said:
fanofzoo said:
grizindabox said:
PeauxRouge said:

That is a crappy take. There are rules and officials are supposed to follow them. They are supposed to call fouls, and it that case, the official didn't decide the game, the guy fouling the shooter and that player making 3 free throws did. I guess you feel that the missed double dribble was fine because the officials shouldn't decide the game?

Maybe if they followed them the whole game it wouldn’t be so egregious when they decide to suddenly follow them in the last 3 seconds.

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
fanofzoo said:
grizindabox said:

Maybe if they followed them the whole game it wouldn’t be so egregious when they decide to suddenly follow them in the last 3 seconds.

So the issue isn't the call with 1.5 seconds left, it is how the game was officiated the other 39 minutes and 58.5 seconds.

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
fanofzoo said:

So the issue isn't the call with 1.5 seconds left, it is how the game was officiated the other 39 minutes and 58.5 seconds.

The ref's let them play the entire game with "no calls" on very physical play, why at the end ? Yes looking at the replay there was a foul but be consistent with the entire game.

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
fanofzoo said:

Honestly, I don’t care. My Red Raiders rolled Michigan State and will roll Virginia as well on Monday.

:D :D

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
fanofzoo said:

It was clearly a foul. Even Charles Barkley said it was a foul. The rules were changed a few years ago to state specifically that the defender couldn't come into and under the shooter. It was a critical stupid play by the defender. The missed double dribble call was inexcusable.

FWIW, and admittedly it's not worth much, but how many of us armchair point guards made that call on the double dribble before the review by Gene Salvatore on the broadcast? If you watch enough ball you probably see 10 double dribble and carrying infractions a game that are technically infractions that are never called!
However I agree that it should have been called and that if was a big mistake.

The call on the foul at the end was a clear violation and was right in front of the ref. He had no choice instinctively but to make that call regardless of the circumstance. The fact that Mr. Guy hit all three free throws under that kind of pressure was very impressive.

I don't care who wins tomorrow as long as it is a well played game. I do hope the officiating is not controversial, but that may be asking too much.

griznative24 said:
grizbro said:
Women’s Nat. Championship is all you can ask for!

What a game. I was rooting for Ogunbowale but that was a fun watch.

Much drama. One of the most engrossing games I've seen since Saturday.

But, oh! Was it testimony to how far behind the Lady Griz have fallen. The men are at a point where they can go out and compete credibly against just about anybody. The Lady Griz? In a life or death situation, with sportsmanship thrown to the wind, a Notre Dame, Baylor or UConn would beat the Lady Griz by 100 points.

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

It was clearly a foul. Even Charles Barkley said it was a foul. The rules were changed a few years ago to state specifically that the defender couldn't come into and under the shooter. It was a critical stupid play by the defender. The missed double dribble call was inexcusable.

Agreed. It was clearly a foul. Just like it was clearly a kicked ball and clearly a double dribble. Then in the 2nd game the refs missed 4-5 plainly obvious traveling calls on Michigan State, including a couple that happened in the last couple of critical minutes. It’s strange...it’s like the refs are becoming spectators as the game winds down...

AZGrizFan said:
Agreed. It was clearly a foul. Just like it was clearly a kicked ball and clearly a double dribble. Then in the 2nd game the refs missed 4-5 plainly obvious traveling calls on Michigan State, including a couple that happened in the last couple of critical minutes. It’s strange...it’s like the refs are becoming spectators as the game winds down...

When was the kicked ball?

Anyone know what’s the Las Vegas spread is also the over and under? Should be a good game tonight Lotta defense.
Should go down to the wire.

LivingstonNative said:
Anyone know what’s the Las Vegas spread is also the over and under? Should be a good game tonight Lotta defense.

I believe it’s Virginia -1.5 last I checked. And right around 119 for the over/under.

ilovethecats said:
LivingstonNative said:

I believe it’s Virginia -1.5 last I checked. And right around 119 for the over/under.
At 119, I would be tempted to go with the over!

LivingstonNative said:
ilovethecats said:
LivingstonNative said:

Yep I did. Never go with the over when TT is playing but was just too tempting. About 10 points lower than any of their games so gave it a shot!

ilovethecats said:
LivingstonNative said:
ilovethecats said:
LivingstonNative said:

Yep I did. Never go with the over when TT is playing but was just too tempting. About 10 points lower than any of their games so gave it a shot!
TT IS HEATING UP! Looks like a good choice as of now. TT is up 25 - 24 with over three minutes to go in the half.

ilovethecats said:
LivingstonNative said:
ilovethecats said:
LivingstonNative said:
Well, double the halftime score and you're good on the over. :)

But who knows how it will go from here? One hell of a game so far.

ID,
This game is for the basketball purist, like yourself. Some local radio jock, said the ratings would be down for this game because Zion was not playing. I could give a rats A$$!

Back