• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Staff Shortages at stadium

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1440265781149724678?s=20

Another reason for labor shortage -trickle down from a jump in retirees

E_zaF6bVcAU7M0H

I know we see things differently, but for me this is one of the few positives coming out of Covid. It's like "I aint going to work on Maggie's farm no more". It is unionization without the union dues. Younger people see their generation in terms of Mark Zuckerberg who has billions but has simply enabled society to be missinformed and lied to, withoug contributing one iota to societies betterment. They see Jeff Bezos making billions off the pandemic. They see home prices that they will never be able to afford flipping burgers. So they say f........ it. It is too bad because they don't need to go to college - going into the trades, plumbing, electrical and carpentry will pay better. Yes they will be middle class and partially because of the downfall of unionization they will not be able to live their parents life. They have little barganining power other than to not show up at work. Personally I wish they would take a chance because we need skilled workers but I also understand why they may feel that is futile. But many of us, who grew up when there were better opportunities, should not complain when we have to wait for service at a resturant or go elsewhere because they aren't open. This is the legacy we, along with corrupt do-nothing politicians on both sides, have left them. I have a lot of compassion for the situation that they are facing.

sdk.catfish said:
I know we see things differently, but for me this is one of the few positives coming out of Covid. It's like "I aint going to work on Maggie's farm no more". It is unionization without the union dues. Younger people see their generation in terms of Mark Zuckerberg who has billions but has simply enabled society to be missinformed and lied to, withoug contributing one iota to societies betterment. They see Jeff Bezos making billions off the pandemic. They see home prices that they will never be able to afford flipping burgers. So they say f........ it. It is too bad because they don't need to go to college - going into the trades, plumbing, electrical and carpentry will pay better. Yes they will be middle class and partially because of the downfall of unionization they will not be able to live their parents life. They have little barganining power other than to not show up at work. Personally I wish they would take a chance because we need skilled workers but I also understand why they may feel that is futile. But many of us, who grew up when there were better opportunities, should not complain when we have to wait for service at a resturant or go elsewhere because they aren't open. This is the legacy we, along with corrupt do-nothing politicians on both sides, have left them. I have a lot of compassion for the situation that they are facing.

Nobody ever bought a house flipping burgers. That’s a job for teenagers. If you’re a grown-ass adult and you’re flipping burgers, it miiiiiight be because of some piss-poor decisions you made earlier in your life.

After last weeks failure to perform, you'd think major changes are in store for the Homecoming game. They've already failed on the parade, so UM better have the concession and gate problems solved this time around. $40+ general admission seats are another failure, otherwise. ISU charged $10 for general admission, but then, the product is, well....

garizzalies said:
I got a head full of ideas that are drivin' me insane

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q3euAfNhuR4

Dylan always has the right lyrics

#RATM Rocks It! Thanks for posting this!

AZGrizFan said:
sdk.catfish said:

Nobody ever bought a house flipping burgers. That’s a job for teenagers. If you’re a grown-ass adult and you’re flipping burgers, it miiiiiight be because of some piss-poor decisions you made earlier in your life.
Bingo!

3-7-77 said:
After last weeks failure to perform, you'd think major changes are in store for the Homecoming game. They've already failed on the parade, so UM better have the concession and gate problems solved this time around. $40+ general admission seats are another failure, otherwise. ISU charged $10 for general admission, but then, the product is, well....

Heads should roll!! :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
If you’re a grown-ass adult and you’re flipping burgers, it miiiiiight be because of some piss-poor decisions you made earlier in your life.

So your premise is that everyone can control everything that happens to them in life?

Grizzlies1982 said:
uofmman1122 said:
I'm not trying to slight your son here, but honestly this is just silly. I'll never understand certain Americans' aversion to taking help from the government, especially when they very obviously need it and it's due to no fault of their own.

This is just such a telling quote about the situation.

Your idea of "normal" is very likely "I can go and get service at all the places I used to before", while for a lot of the workers at these places "normal" means miserable working conditions where they are treated as completely disposable, coupled with insane hours, and poverty wages that barely pay enough for them to even survive, let alone live comfortably.

Whether you like it or not, the pandemic assistance provided for many people in this situation the first time in their adult lives where they didn't have to slave away in a meaningless, underpaid job in order to survive (Pandemic Aid Programs Spur a Record Drop in Poverty), and we're suddenly super surprised that these same people aren't rushing to go back to the way things were?

Anyways, I've already blown past my monthly quota for political posts on here, so carry on.

There is nothing wrong with accepting help when you really need it. I'm sure my son agrees with you too. It's a damn good thing we have a safety net.

However, in his case he lost hours in the food service industry and was left with little more than rent money. He was "starving" financially. He was never starving physically. His choice was to leave the business he loved and take a job in another business. He never "Needed" help. He took another job which gave him full time hours, problem solved.

You and "love the cats" make a hell of a lot of assumptions here. Horribilis addresses some of your economic misconceptions.

The pandemic has been a blessing for some of the starting wage workers, as wages have gone up almost everywhere. No you're not supporting your family at Taco Bell but the high school kid at the till is pulling in higher wages than before. This is good.

Over paying someone not to work (as in the case of my other son's girlfriend) is not good. She decided to go back to work after the extra unemployment kicker went away. Disincentive to working is bad.

Anyway, I'm done too. Nobody is changing anyone's minds tonight. Go Griz!
I get what you're saying, but there are not enough high school kids to cover all of these "high school" jobs.

You are seeing that right now.

You cannot call these service jobs "learner jobs" that pay too low to support an actual adult and then get mad that people that need to support themselves are not taking these jobs.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
If you’re a grown-ass adult and you’re flipping burgers, it miiiiiight be because of some piss-poor decisions you made earlier in your life.

So your premise is that everyone can control everything that happens to them in life?

Won't speak for AZ, but that is EXACTLY my premise.

Ursa Major said:
ilovethecats said:
It's not at all. Look at median income in say, 1990. Then look at median house prices.

Now, look at median income today. Then look at median house prices.

No need to make this more complicated than it needs to be.

If you’re still in a researching mood, take a look at college expenses for that same period.

Choices. Many are making very, very poor choices. Not one person was ever forced to take on debt. Not one.

AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Nope. I didn't say that. Some can. Some will. It's just a lot more difficult to do so now than it was a generation ago. Many olds think it's simple because it worked for them in a much different era. That's what I was saying. I don't really think it's up for debate that it's more difficult to buy a home now than back then.

I disagree. It’s certainly more difficult if you’re not working, or flipping burgers, yes. But starting (STARTING) pay in San Antonio for a teller is $38,000/year. So, lets say you and your spouse are BOTH tellers. These jobs require NO college degree. No experience. They are ENTRY LEVEL jobs. Combined you make $76,000/yr. You qualify for approximately a $450,000 mortgage (assuming the old standard 28% of income to a mortgage). There are currently 4,025 houses in the greater San Antonio area for sale UNDER the price of $450,000. Same applies in Dallas. There are 4,289 houses for sale currently UNDER $450,000. 5,976 are available in Houston. The list goes on and on.

Is it difficult to buy a house when you’re just starting out if you live in places like California and won’t move? Sure.
Is it difficult to buy a house if you have zero skills or drive and don’t want to do anything but flip burgers? Yep.
Is it difficult to buy a house when you’re just starting out if you don’t have two incomes coming in? Sure (but it was in 1980 and 1990 and 2000 as well).
Is it difficult to buy a house when you’re just starting out if you expect to be able to buy the same level of house you grew UP in, that was probably your parents’ 3rd or 4th or 5th house? Sure.

It’s called sacrifice. And honestly, most people don’t want to have to do it to get ahead. Relocate. Improve yourself. Enhance your skills. Get educated. Hold off having kids for a while. Prioritize your expenses. But no, they’d rather just bitch about “the system” and how it’s broken.

Edit: My company currently has 110 job openings, STARTING at $18/hr up to about $140,000. Every employee gets their health insurance paid for, HSA with $1200/yr funded by employer, 6% 401k match, short term AND long term disability paid for, 2 weeks vacation to start, sick leave accrues at 80 hours a year, in-house (Golds Gym-level) gym with personal trainers provided, in-house cafeteria, 70% havre Work-From-Home capability and career pathing for every position.

Guess what? Can’t fill ‘em.

OK, I’ll get off MY soap box now.

Excellent post. Choices, sacrifice, and deferred gratification.

it is funny a year ago at this time people would have gladly walked 5 miles sat in a cow field to watch the Griz play football and now they are complaining because they can't buy a soda and hotdog....eat before you come to the game.......lol.

...a novel concept that might help shortages...
...jobs that don't involve life safety...
...stop drug testing for weed...

... :idea: ...

Back