• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Starting Griz QB

hunt-ducks said:
I think that this article brings up a very good point that I had not considered, and that is the prospect of having Brown enter the transfer portal if he can't win the starting QB job. If the QB competition is close between Humphrey and Brown, I go with Brown if I am Hauck. Cam will leave after this season, and Brown could start for three years.

Disagree. You start the guy that you believe gives you the best chance to win and whether or not the kid might be there the next season shouldn't really matter.

HelenaHandBasket said:
hunt-ducks said:
I think that this article brings up a very good point that I had not considered, and that is the prospect of having Brown enter the transfer portal if he can't win the starting QB job. If the QB competition is close between Humphrey and Brown, I go with Brown if I am Hauck. Cam will leave after this season, and Brown could start for three years.

Disagree. You start the guy that you believe gives you the best chance to win and whether or not the kid might be there the next season shouldn't really matter.

If Humphrey was a proven commodity, that is one thing. But I don't think we know anything about how well he will do as the starter. Not enough minutes in that role to make that assumption. I'm going to go on record now in saying that Brown will be the starter before the season is over. As I stated in an earlier post, I would go with Brown if they were close in winning the starting job. If Humphrey is clearly the #1 after the spring games, then I will agree with you. My prediction is that he will not be the clear #1. This is more about how good Brown can be, versus about Humphrey not being very good. A long time Montana high school coach says Brown can be a great Big Sky QB.

hunt-ducks said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

If Humphrey was a proven commodity, that is one thing. But I don't think we know anything about how well he will do as the starter. Not enough minutes in that role to make that assumption. I'm going to go on record now in saying that Brown will be the starter before the season is over. As I stated in an earlier post, I would go with Brown if they were close in winning the starting job. If Humphrey is clearly the #1 after the spring games, then I will agree with you. My prediction is that he will not be the clear #1. This is more about how good Brown can be, versus about Humphrey not being very good. A long time Montana high school coach says Brown can be a great Big Sky QB.

Pretty sure none of them are a proven commodity. What I did say is you go with the guy that you believe gives you the best chance to win this season, it doesn't matter if he is a Sr or a So or if he might leave if beaten out.

Mousegriz said:
Rostad's grandpa told me his grandson would start for 4 years.

That’s the guy I was asking about. Thought he was supposed to be the real deal. Apparently, nobody knows anything about him.

HelenaHandBasket said:
hunt-ducks said:

Pretty sure none of them are a proven commodity. What I did say is you go with the guy that you believe gives you the best chance to win this season, it doesn't matter if he is a Sr or a So or if he might leave if beaten out.

Definitely on the side of Helena here as most probably should be. You definitely start the player that gives you the best chance to win now and certainly don’t start a player a year early cus you’re afraid he’ll transfer out if you don’t. For one thing, our cupboard is certainly pretty full of other unknown but probably good qb’s. If the competition is close but Cam has the edge, you go with Cam. For one thing I’m sure every Sr on the team will agree with that and any kid on the team that can see Cam is a better qb but coach starts the kid he’s afraid of losing, will probably lose a lot of respect for their coach, and rightly so.

alabamagrizzly said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Definitely on the side of Helena here as most probably should be. You definitely start the player that gives you the best chance to win now and certainly don’t start a player a year early cus you’re afraid he’ll transfer out if you don’t. For one thing, our cupboard is certainly pretty full of other unknown but probably good qb’s. If the competition is close but Cam has the edge, you go with Cam. For one thing I’m sure every Sr on the team will agree with that and any kid on the team that can see Cam is a better qb but coach starts the kid he’s afraid of losing, will probably lose a lot of respect for their coach, and rightly so.

What if Brown gives the Griz a better chance to win? He has not taken a snap in a live game situation, has he, so nobody can say that Cam is better. There are many questions still out on Cam, but some of you are enamored because of the next-in-line philosophy. The "gives us the best chance to win" statements are rhetoric ones, since Cam has never been THE MAN before, and since Brown has not taken a snap. If I know Bobby, he will not just give the starting job to Cam unless he earns it this spring. To me, since we do not return a starting QB, the job should be wide open, and I think it is. If Cam is the man this season, then we are back next season trying the find a #1 QB. If Brown wins the starting nod, we might be set for three years at that position. That would be a huge plus in my opinion.

We can yap all we want about current "culture" and how kids these days don't have commitment, blah blah blah. But I know competition is part of Hauck's program and every kid who signed to play for him at UM knows that too. You go with the best QB in the room THIS year. You play to win THIS year. Like I said, every player for the Griz knows the beauty of Hauck's program is you have a chance to play if you compete hard and pay attention to the details. I don't care who the QB is, I'll be cheering my arse off for the team.

"Montana's Cam Humphrey takes lead in QB battle into spring camp, but competition far from over"

"“Yeah, I mean, who doesn’t” want to start, Humphrey said after the Grizzlies’ third practice of spring camp Monday. “We’re all going to get out here and work as hard we can to take that job. I feel that I’m the best, the most capable for it. But so does Kris (Brown) and so does Kirk (Rygol). That’s the mentality every quarterback’s got to have.”

Humphrey is the heir apparent, but there’s competition behind him with redshirt freshman Kris Brown, FBS transfer Kirk Rygol, JUCO transfer Robbie Patterson and true freshman Carson Rostad all hoping to prove themselves worthy. And they have nearly four weeks to do that.

“The vibe is good. It’s competitive,” Montana coach Bobby Hauck said of the QB room. “It’s good competition between guys that like each other, which is exactly how it should be.”

The 6-foot-2, 194-pound Humphrey showed his ability and came out of fall camp as the leader in the clubhouse. Hauck said that was because of his “higher completion percentage, fewer interceptions, better understanding of the offense.”

“I can put the ball wherever it needs to be on the field from any part on the field,” Humphrey said. “Just like every quarterback, you can always be more consistent."

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montanas-cam-humphrey-takes-lead-in-qb-battle-into-spring-camp-but-competition-far-from/article_5776e2cf-2742-5f01-9554-ef95499fc0e0.html

hunt-ducks said:
alabamagrizzly said:

What if Brown gives the Griz a better chance to win? He has not taken a snap in a live game situation, has he, so nobody can say that Cam is better. There are many questions still out on Cam, but some of you are enamored because of the next-in-line philosophy. The "gives us the best chance to win" statements are rhetoric ones, since Cam has never been THE MAN before, and since Brown has not taken a snap. If I know Bobby, he will not just give the starting job to Cam unless he earns it this spring. To me, since we do not return a starting QB, the job should be wide open, and I think it is. If Cam is the man this season, then we are back next season trying the find a #1 QB. If Brown wins the starting nod, we might be set for three years at that position. That would be a huge plus in my opinion.
If Brown is that great, he'll win the job.

If he's thinking of transferring if he doesn't win the job this year, then we aren't missing out on a guy who doesn't want to be here.

hunt-ducks said:
alabamagrizzly said:

The QB's have all taken many snaps in practice and some in scrimmages. Assume you haven't attended any of those things. Lots of people including coaches, so many people have a good idea who is the better qb.

Who on egriz is enamored with the next-in-line philosophy? Can you point them out?

Cam has been the-man in several games.

No, the gives-the-best-chance to win is essentially saying who is the best qb at a particular point in time.

I don't care if Cam is the best qb this year, and UM is back to finding next year's best QB. That's what football is all about, in my view.

uofmman1122 said:
hunt-ducks said:

If he's thinking of transferring if he doesn't win the job this year, then we aren't missing out on a guy who doesn't want to be here.

My view too.

Speaking of Griz qb transfers. Gresch Jensen.

"Gresch Jensen
Manager at Amazon / QB Coach / Logistics Coordinator / Graduate Student"

"Area Manager
Amazon Logistics
Mar 2021 - Present1 month
Sumner, Washington, United States
· Coach, manage, and develop a team of Amazon associates"

"Private Instructor/Event Coordinator
Alliance QB Academy / Northwest 9 / 7on7 Association
Jul 2020 - Present9 months
Seattle, Washington, United States
• Head of Operations and Scouting for Northwest 9 Camps "

Volunteer asst football coach (qb's)
Auburn Mountainview High School (started March 2021)

Getting MBA through Southern Utah

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gresch-jensen-5623751a2

uofmman1122 said:
hunt-ducks said:

Well put.

alabamagrizzly said:
CDAGRIZ said:
That’s the guy I was asking about. Thought he was supposed to be the real deal. Apparently, nobody knows anything about him.

You mean besides his grandpa.

True. But I thought he was gonna be the troof from the jump. Is he not in the mix? Honest question for the board.

PlayerRep said:
Speaking of Griz qb transfers. Gresch Jensen.

"Gresch Jensen
Manager at Amazon / QB Coach / Logistics Coordinator / Graduate Student"

"Area Manager
Amazon Logistics
Mar 2021 - Present1 month
Sumner, Washington, United States
· Coach, manage, and develop a team of Amazon associates"

"Private Instructor/Event Coordinator
Alliance QB Academy / Northwest 9 / 7on7 Association
Jul 2020 - Present9 months
Seattle, Washington, United States
• Head of Operations and Scouting for Northwest 9 Camps "

Volunteer asst football coach (qb's)
Auburn Mountainview High School (started March 2021)

Getting MBA through Southern Utah

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gresch-jensen-5623751a2

looks like he is doing well.

CDAGRIZ said:
alabamagrizzly said:
You mean besides his grandpa.

True. But I thought he was gonna be the troof from the jump. Is he not in the mix? Honest question for the board.

Apparently all this board knows is Cam’s next in line and some of us are afraid of losing Brown. Also, I’m guessing Rostad’s grandpa might not post on eGgiz.

Back