• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Starting Griz QB

alabamagrizzly said:
CDAGRIZ said:
True. But I thought he was gonna be the troof from the jump. Is he not in the mix? Honest question for the board.

Apparently all this board knows is Cam’s next in line and some of us are afraid of losing Brown. Also, I’m guessing Rostad’s grandpa might not post on eGgiz.

Actually, this is what we know, and it's from the head coach:

"The 6-foot-2, 194-pound Humphrey showed his ability and came out of fall camp as the leader in the clubhouse. Hauck said that was because of his “higher completion percentage, fewer interceptions, better understanding of the offense.”

Practice photos aren’t definitive, I know. But if I’m guessing based on those, Cam is QB1 and Brown is QB2. Cam is in most. Brown is the only other so far.

Interesting. Maybe I’m just the last to know, lol.
Kris’ brother, Kamden, is a qb on the sCats roster. They are California boys. Moved here not long ago.

My bad... Kamden was*, not “is”.

remember back when Sneed and Cam came into training camp at the same time and both were competing against the previous year's starter and on day one Sneed jumped right in with the number 1's without being told he was number 1. BH had mentioned that later. I guarantee Cam never forgot that and I doubt anybody is going to be moving him without a fight. The others will have to stay hungry because they will be one injury away from getting a shot.

retiredpopo said:
remember back when Sneed and Cam came into training camp at the same time and both were competing against the previous year's starter and on day one Sneed jumped right in with the number 1's without being told he was number 1. BH had mentioned that later. I guarantee Cam never forgot that and I doubt anybody is going to be moving him without a fight. The others will have to stay hungry because they will be one injury away from getting a shot.

I remember and, as one who doesn’t normally play Monday morning qb, I’m pretty sure coach knew what he was doing and made the right call. I’m pretty sure he’ll do the same thing this year, making the right call that is.

Some of you are missing my point about Brown possibly transferring if he is not named the starter, I just stated that, if Cam and Brown are basically even after spring, but Cam gets the nod because of things like "knowing the system better", or "he has some starting experience", or "he is a senior and the other players like him", then we may risk losing a possible great 3-4 year starter because of the kid wanting to play and not ride the pine. These kids today are quick to pull the plug and transfer.
Allow me to pose this question....... if Brown transferred to Weber, or to MSU, and became their All-Conference QB, would you still agree that Cam should have started? I guess I don't understand the fawning over Cam by some of you. He had one solid game last season, but also looked very shaky at times. He certainly wasn't up to Sneed's level as a QB, don't you agree? And, he is a senior, so it is not like he hasn't had opportunities to be the #1 QB before. I just don't think he is the caliber of most of our previous starting QBs. Obviously many of you do. I guess we will see. If Brown had only back-up quality skills, then this discussion would be moot. But, I believe Brown is the real deal, and could be a great Griz QB if given the chance. I am hearing this from several people close to the program, as well as a longtime Montana high school coach whose name I will not mention. That is all I am going on. I would just hate to lose a home-grown QB talent when great QBs are so difficult to find. Just ask the Bobcats.

hunt-ducks said:
Some of you are missing my point about Brown possibly transferring if he is not named the starter, I just stated that, if Cam and Brown are basically even after spring, but Cam gets the nod because of things like "knowing the system better", or "he has some starting experience", or "he is a senior and the other players like him", then we may risk losing a possible great 3-4 year starter because of the kid wanting to play and not ride the pine. These kids today are quick to pull the plug and transfer.
Allow me to pose this question....... if Brown transferred to Weber, or to MSU, and became their All-Conference QB, would you still agree that Cam should have started? I guess I don't understand the fawning over Cam by some of you. He had one solid game last season, but also looked very shaky at times. He certainly wasn't up to Sneed's level as a QB, don't you agree? And, he is a senior, so it is not like he hasn't had opportunities to be the #1 QB before. I just don't think he is the caliber of most of our previous starting QBs. Obviously many of you do. I guess we will see. If Brown had only back-up quality skills, then this discussion would be moot. But, I believe Brown is the real deal, and could be a great Griz QB if given the chance. I am hearing this from several people close to the program, as well as a longtime Montana high school coach whose name I will not mention. That is all I am going on. I would just hate to lose a home-grown QB talent when great QBs are so difficult to find. Just ask the Bobcats.

If Cam is named the starter than it is because BH and the rest of the coaching staff see him as the QB who has the best chance to lead us to a championship. Not sure what is so hard about that. If Brown pulls a GJ and leaves that is his issue and next year we will have another starting QB from the pool of QB's and that QB will be the one who earns the starting spot. What makes you think if Brown transfers because he is not named starter that he would not enter the portal next year anyway? When people won't mention names you have to wonder why. those long time high school coaches they know what is best for the Griz no doubt about it lol. If Brown deserves to start he will start based on his merits not because coach is afraid he will enter the portal.

hunt-ducks said:
You seem to be critical of some for backing Humphery based on limited evidence but you are fine backing Brown based on no evidence.

I'm not knocking Brown but let's be honest we don't even know if he has back-up quality skills as he's never taken a snap in a college football game. You seem to want to start a QB controversy where one guy is 76-128 59.4% for 1002 yards, 8 TD to 2 Picks and the other guy is 0-0 for 0 yards with 0 TD and 0 picks.

hunt-ducks said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Disagree. You start the guy that you believe gives you the best chance to win and whether or not the kid might be there the next season shouldn't really matter.

What if Brown gives the Griz a better chance to win?

Wouldn't that fall under the bolded?????

hunt-ducks said:

No one is missing your point. If Cam gets the nod, it is because they feel he gives them a better chance to win this season. You can't make decisions based on the what-ifs. I also don't think people are "fawning" all over Cam.

HelenaHandBasket said:
hunt-ducks said:
What if Brown gives the Griz a better chance to win?

Wouldn't that fall under the bolded?????

And isn't this what Spring and Fall practices are designed to do?

And once those determinations are made, can't they be changed in the future if deemed necessary by a plethera of possible reasons?

SaskGriz said:
hunt-ducks said:
You seem to be critical of some for backing Humphery based on limited evidence but you are fine backing Brown based on no evidence.

I'm not knocking Brown but let's be honest we don't even know if he has back-up quality skills as he's never taken a snap in a college football game. You seem to want to start a QB controversy where one guy is 76-128 59.4% for 1002 yards, 8 TD to 2 Picks and the other guy is 0-0 for 0 yards with 0 TD and 0 picks.

Thank you for providing the stats. As I said, Cam had one great game where he threw for 4 TDs. I was less than impressed in other games he appeared in. Does an 59% completion percentage, having the best group of receivers in the Big Sky, impress anyone? Not me. Cam was never in the same league as Sneed last season starting in spring ball. There was never a QB battle, Sneed was clearly the superior QB, and it was evident early-on. I'll go on record in saying this....... if Cam is our starting QB, we will have the weakest starting QB in recent memory, and be right up there with the Cats in the QB department. Just my prediction, and I am sure most of you will not agree with it. I realize that hope springs eternal, and all of us want desperately to believe that Cam will just move into the starting QB job, and we will not miss a beat from last season with Sneed. I don't believe that for a minute. If I am wrong, and I hope I am, you can remind me of my doubt and I will take it like a man. I know nothing about how good Brown would be as a starter, and neither does anybody. But I do have an opinion about Cam, and if he is the answer, don't expect the same results on offense as last season, cause I don't think the talent is there like in past years. This forum is to discuss Griz football, and if everyone is always in agreement then it becomes quite boring, right?

One thing I’m sure is certain. If they’re as close as all of ducks sources say they are, Bobby will certainly use these 2(hopefully 3) spring games to see some separation.

hunt-ducks said:
Thank you for providing the stats. As I said, Cam had one great game where he threw for 4 TDs. I was less than impressed in other games he appeared in. Does an 59% completion percentage, having the best group of receivers in the Big Sky, impress anyone? Not me. Cam was never in the same league as Sneed last season starting in spring ball. There was never a QB battle, Sneed was clearly the superior QB, and it was evident early-on. I'll go on record in saying this....... if Cam is our starting QB, we will have the weakest starting QB in recent memory, and be right up there with the Cats in the QB department. Just my prediction, and I am sure most of you will not agree with it. I realize that hope springs eternal, and all of us want desperately to believe that Cam will just move into the starting QB job, and we will not miss a beat from last season with Sneed. I don't believe that for a minute. If I am wrong, and I hope I am, you can remind me of my doubt and I will take it like a man. I know nothing about how good Brown would be as a starter, and neither does anybody. But I do have an opinion about Cam, and if he is the answer, don't expect the same results on offense as last season, cause I don't think the talent is there like in past years. This forum is to discuss Griz football, and if everyone is always in agreement then it becomes quite boring, right?

If Cam or Brown is the starting QB, then it means he beat out the others. You seem to want to argue about something that no one is taking a stance on the counterpoint.

hunt-ducks said:
SaskGriz said:

By your own criteria for criticizing Cam, it makes less sense to start Brown than it does to start Humphrey. You're blasting people for having nothing but "hope" that Cam will be a good QB, while advocating for a guy that hasn't thrown a meaningful football pass in nearly three years.

And seriously, if Kris Brown transfers because he doesn't win the job, then we're better off without him, and he likely doesn't have what it takes to be a good starting QB for the Griz, or anyone else for that matter.

I don't think he's that kind of guy, and I'm sure if he saw you on here insinuating that he is, I'd imagine he'd be a little pissed off about it.

Like I said, he will start if he gives us the best chance of winning, and if he doesn't, then he's got a great shot at being the guy for the next two years after Humphrey leaves.

hunt-ducks said:
SaskGriz said:

First rule of getting out of a hole you’ve dug?

STOP DIGGING. FFS, you’re making an impossible argument. Let’s just let it sort itself out and trust the coaches to make the right decision.

AZGrizFan said:
hunt-ducks said:

STOP DIGGING. FFS, you’re making an impossible argument. Let’s just let it sort itself out and trust the coaches to make the right decision.

Hilarious! I guess it is not kosher to have an opinion who goes against the hope of Griz fans. Even more hilarious is to read the comments from posters who supposedly like to discuss Grizzly football...... that is, as long as one follows the popular opinion. Look, I have made my predictions, and will live by them. If I am wrong, I will admit as such. But to believe that a senior QB who was never good enough to start as a sophomore and junior, but now is the answer, humors me. How many seasons did the Bobcat fans tell us that they had finally solved their pathetic QB issues? It seems that posters on here seem to think that our team can never experience those same problems. But I think we may be seeing it this season unless one of the other QBs suddenly emerges, which is entirely possible. I just am not sold that Humphrey is the answer.

uofmman1122 said:
hunt-ducks said:
By your own criteria for criticizing Cam, it makes less sense to start Brown than it does to start Humphrey. You're blasting people for having nothing but "hope" that Cam will be a good QB, while advocating for a guy that hasn't thrown a meaningful football pass in nearly three years.

And seriously, if Kris Brown transfers because he doesn't win the job, then we're better off without him, and he likely doesn't have what it takes to be a good starting QB for the Griz, or anyone else for that matter.

I don't think he's that kind of guy, and I'm sure if he saw you on here insinuating that he is, I'd imagine he'd be a little pissed off about it.

Like I said, he will start if he gives us the best chance of winning, and if he doesn't, then he's got a great shot at being the guy for the next two years after Humphrey leaves.

First, I never said he would transfer. Second, I am not "blasting people". I am discussing football, which is supposedly what this site is about, right? My comments are based upon watching Humphrey play, that's all. I didn't ask you to agree with my opinion, did I? But I don't agree with yours. Is that allowed here? Fill me in.

hunt-ducks said:
AZGrizFan said:

Hilarious! I guess it is not kosher to have an opinion who goes against the hope of Griz fans. Even more hilarious is to read the comments from posters who supposedly like to discuss Grizzly football...... that is, as long as one follows the popular opinion. Look, I have made my predictions, and will live by them. If I am wrong, I will admit as such. But to believe that a senior QB who was never good enough to start as a sophomore and junior, but now is the answer, humors me. How many seasons did the Bobcat fans tell us that they had finally solved their pathetic QB issues? It seems that posters on here seem to think that our team can never experience those same problems. But I think we may be seeing it this season unless one of the other QBs suddenly emerges, which is entirely possible. I just am not sold that Humphrey is the answer.
Yet you're sold on a guy who you've never seen in a college football game before. :lol:

I feel like you're just trolling us now, and if so, well done. :thumb:

I see pickle is bak under another name? That or a clone maybe, the language is awfully familiar...looking forward to see how things turn out, and the decisions the coaches make for the benefit of the team. Go GRIZ!

Back