• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The lack of a run game

I think everyone is actually making some sense:

- I think we have a great OL coach in Germer and he’s doing the best with what he’s got
- what he’s got has taken a major hit with Thayne, Torres, and Hart all out of the equation now....with those guys this would be an entirely different unit
- our run game has been abandoned because it’s defintiely not a strength...or WR core is our strength so they are playing toward that strength with quick passes from Sneed (to essentially replace our lack of running game)
- Calhoun coming back may help but I’m not getting my hopes up for it as there are just no holes to run through....literally none. Our lineman are getting blown up
- I liked what I saw in Cole Sain last week....freshman more than held his own. Maybe they’ll start experimenting with those young guys and see who can be a gamer
- the lack of a run game will catch up to us sooner or later....you can’t be a one trick pony

Oh eGriz! You never cease to amuse.

How can some of you wonder why the poor O-line is such a big mystery when this has been hammered on here for almost a decade since Hauck left?

The 3 coaches since Hauck’s first stint did not prioritize OLs. Period. Full stop. It’s that simple and we all know it.

We just did not realize how good we had it until those 3 coaches neglected it. Hell I seem to remember one year when Delaney got only 1 OL to stick in a class. So why are you all playing dumb on this issue? Never mind, don’t answer that

Forgot to mention that it didn’t help that the schemes changed with each coach, too. We went from Bobby-ball, to an Oregon-type spread, to grampa-ball, to whatever the hell you call Sitt’s Offense, and now back to square one. Each system has a different vision for OL body shape and technique

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
Assume you know that Germer took a walk-on TE and developed him into a multi-year starter at center? And Mike Ralstom from various positions to a starter. How about Reese from being a starter as a true frosh and then first team all-confernce as senior, or second team as a junior.

Do you think this was all just luck or magic?

I think it was necessity. He's been here 4 years. Why are we still talking about lack of O-line talent four years later?

I don't think there's a lack of o-line talent. Just lack of senior lineman and experienced linemen. My impression is that Hauck thinks this o-line group will be very good in the future. Injuries and departures can have a big impact on the o-line is they are the best or most experienced lineman. Hauck also believes in having many more o-lineman on the roster than Stitt did. I assume that's another problem now. Hauck would have traded some of the receiver recruits for o-line recruits in the past. Note that UM was down 4 (?) scholarships during the past 3 years.

garizzalies said:

How can some of you wonder why the poor O-line is such a big mystery when this has been hammered on here for almost a decade since Hauck left?

The 3 coaches since Hauck’s first stint did not prioritize OLs. Period. Full stop. It’s that simple and we all know it.

We just did not realize how good we had it until those 3 coaches neglected it. Hell I seem to remember one year when Delaney got only 1 OL to stick in a class. So why are you all playing dumb on this issue? Never mind, don’t answer that

Some of what you say may be true, but there were multiple good o-lineman at UM in the past 10 years, some of whom Hauck recruited. And, I thought the o-line was pretty good last year. Reese was first-team all conference, I believe.

garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:
We’ve basically been chasing our tail on the OL for about a decade
Not true.
What’s not true? Or did you mean to just disagree with my opinion?

UM has had some good o-lines and good o-lineman in the past decade, in my view. Last year's, for one. 10 years ago was a national champ game o-line. Also, players like Reese, Poehls, Kistler, Burton after that, to name a few.

So, I don't agree that UM has been chasing its tail on the OL for about a decade. One of things we're seeing now is a weak class that was mostly from Delaney's last year (for whatever reason) and what must have been a weak class from Stitt's first year. And some injuries and departures. So, UM is left with a lot of youth and inexperience, but not without talent.

If Germer can cobble together a credible o-line, despite the recent injurie; no more big injuries occur; and the injured guys come back soon; I am hoping the o-line will improve and will be stronger later in the year. While I don't know how soon Calhoun will be back on the field from being in the doghouse, I think he would make more out of small holes than what our other backs have done so far.

Sorry if some these points were covered in the last 500 posts or so
As per lack of running game subject
1. understandable with several staffs with different schemes
2. Swing pass and short routes look to be part of the run game similar to Bill Walsh West Coast
3. Rosie does a lot of different plays looking for good match ups so far, maybe due to lack of film or familiarity with opponents so far
4. UNI game too many tricky games on short yardage-MO line up with the big set once or twice and give offense opportunity, then try the tricky stuff if you fail with the simple
5. Sneed will get better with snaps and practice to get guys in right position RPO plays
6. good competition so far

garizzalies said:

Don't you know that all egriz posters are Mensa kings?

4theluvofgriz said:
garizzalies said:

Keen football observation right there! :thumb:

Knowing our coaching staff, I am sure they are working on it. Probably in two different ways. They are working with the OL the better them and they are working on what they do if they still can't run the ball. Such as the short passing game to get the ball to players who can get 5 - 10 yards a play. Then maybe our passing game can open up our running game. But I haven't seen that yet.

For those of you who better understand the schematics of a run game, can you explain what it is that makes an O-line great at run blocking? And what is it that this O-line is missing?

What is most important for a successful O-line? Is it the size, strength, talent, technique, or just experience? What is it that this O-line is lacking in? Thank you to anyone who can better explain what the biggest issue with this O-line is.

get'em_griz said:
For those of you who better understand the schematics of a run game, can you explain what it is that makes an O-line great at run blocking? And what is it that this O-line is missing?

What is most important for a successful O-line? Is it the size, strength, talent, technique, or just experience? What is it that this O-line is lacking in? Thank you to anyone who can better explain what the biggest issue with this O-line is.

Sorry, virtually no one on egriz has any clue about these things. However, that doesn't mean we can't comment on and criticize the run game, the o-line, the lack of holes, the o-line coach, the players, and the recruiting. Everyone on the internet is an expert.

NDSU Run Game:

2013 - 5.9 per run
2014 - 5.2 per run
2015 - 5.0 per run
2016 - 6.2 per run
2017 - 5.9 per run

Some perspective.

Ursa Major said:
4theluvofgriz said:
garizzalies said:

Keen football observation right there! :thumb:

Well that is his area of expertise.

PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:
We’ve basically been chasing our tail on the OL for about a decade
Not true.

UM has had some good o-lines and good o-lineman in the past decade, in my view. Last year's, for one. 10 years ago was a national champ game o-line. Also, players like Reese, Poehls, Kistler, Burton after that, to name a few.

So, I don't agree that UM has been chasing its tail on the OL for about a decade. One of things we're seeing now is a weak class that was mostly from Delaney's last year (for whatever reason) and what must have been a weak class from Stitt's first year. And some injuries and departures. So, UM is left with a lot of youth and inexperience, but not without talent.

If Germer can cobble together a credible o-line, despite the recent injurie; no more big injuries occur; and the injured guys come back soon; I am hoping the o-line will improve and will be stronger later in the year. While I don't know how soon Calhoun will be back on the field from being in the doghouse, I think he would make more out of small holes than what our other backs have done so far.
I’m not going to argue with you over semantics. To me, what you just described is chasing their tail. You have a different view/definition. I say we’ve been chasing our tail on the OL for a decade, and you mention a good OL “10 years ago.” :|
We may have had a good lineman here or there, but we certainly have not had a great overall line since Hauck left (with maybe one exception). No DOLA in a long time. Some of it is scheme and changing scheme, some is attrition, etc. But I think the biggest factor was recruiting priorities. You appear to at least somewhat agree with that as you mentioned at least 2 “weak classes.” So I’m not sure what we’re even arguing about. What do you think is the main factor contributing to the OLine issues?

garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:
Not true.

I’m not going to argue with you over semantics. To me, what you just described is chasing their tail. You have a different view/definition. I say we’ve been chasing our tail on the OL for a decade, and you mention a good OL “10 years ago.” :|
We may have had a good lineman here or there, but we certainly have not had a great overall line since Hauck left (with maybe one exception). No DOLA in a long time. Some of it is scheme and changing scheme, some is attrition, etc. But I think the biggest factor was recruiting priorities. You appear to at least somewhat agree with that as you mentioned at least 2 “weak classes.” So I’m not sure what we’re even arguing about. What do you think is the main factor contributing to the OLine issues?

I didn't realize we were arguing. Were we? Again, I just don't agree with chasing tail for 10 years comment. Also, don't agree that what you just said is chasing tail for 10 years. You agree that I don't have to agree with you and I can have my own view, right. I'm okay with the semantics explanation.

Back