• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

"touchdown" tommy merlot

Tommy reminds me alot of the Saints QB Taysom Hill. Great runner can beat you with the pass.
I do expect SHSU to come out a little more focused this game. If game is close in 4th qtr I like the cats chances. SHSU should not feel so confident in their pass game the cats held EB and ewu to lowest output of the year.

When Brent Vigen and Grady Bennett are saying the same things about a kid, it's probably worth paying attention. I don't think the comparisons to Troy Andersen hold water, but there's another comparison that make sense to me. And so my dear friends and brothers, cozy up to the fire with a cup of hot chocolate with the small marshmallows, and listen to my story. This is the story of a player that's was known in some parts as the 'Lad with a Russian Sounding Name'.

It all started in 2013 fall camp, the final year of Denarius McGhee. I attended a scrimmage and witnessed something extraordinary. A young RS freshman wearing the #5 took a zone read that should have been a loss of 4 yards to the house in a blink of an eye. About 4 different defenders had very good leverage and should have limited the play to about 8 yards, but this #5 with a funny name flatly outran nearly every player in backend, and it wasn’t even close. Somebody asked Rob Ash about this kid in an interview and the answer was very concise: he’s not ready to play QB at this level. As electric as the kid was with his feet, he was still unable to throw a football through his RS freshman year.

Fast forward to spring of 2014, there was an intense competition between three guys: the Russian Lad, Jake Bleskin, and Quinn McQueary. It wasn't clear who was QB1 coming out of spring, but then over the follow summer, something happened to the #5. He went to at least one elite QB camp and came away with improved mechanics and better decision making, and around the second scrimmage the following fall, he became QB1 and never looked back.

Tommy Mellott isn’t a complete QB yet, but I am quite confident he will be. He is (technically) a true freshman and only got QB4 reps through fall camp. As it was, he spent most of the fall camp on special teams. His reps as QB leading up to this playoff game didn’t include any packages other than Tommy right and Tommy left. He has had only two weeks to learn a more comprehensive package ahead of his first start, and needless to say, the conditions were awful for throwing the ball. This week will be better, and the marginal (at best) SHSU secondary shouldn’t sleep on this kid. Although many over here want to believe otherwise, Tommy Mellott gives this Bobcat football team a chance to win next Saturday.

Next year I suspect he’ll compete in the fall and slowly emerge as QB1 with a much more balanced skill set. Exactly like another kid did as he came into his sophomore season.

As I like saying over here to great effect…it’s all part of the plan.

ABQCat said:
When Brent Vigen and Grady Bennett are saying the same things about a kid, it's probably worth paying attention. I don't think the comparisons to Troy Andersen hold water, but there's another comparison that make sense to me. And so my dear friends and brothers, cozy up to the fire with a cup of hot chocolate with the small marshmallows, and listen to my story. This is the story of a player that's was known in some parts as the 'Lad with a Russian Sounding Name'.

It all started in 2013 fall camp, the final year of Denarius McGhee. In a scrimmage I attended a scrimmage and witnessed something extraordinary. A young RS freshman wearing the #5 took a zone read that should have been a loss of 4 yards to the house in a blink of an eye. About 4 different defenders had very good leverage and should have limited the play to about 8 yards, but this #5 with a funny name flatly outran nearly every player in backend, and it wasn’t even close. Somebody asked Rob Ash about this kid in an interview and the answer was very concise: he’s not ready to play QB at this level. As electric as the kid was with his feet, he was still unable to throw a football through his RS freshman year.

Fast forward to spring of 2014, there was an intense competition between three guys: the Russian Lad, Jake Bleskin, and Quinn McQueary. It wasn't clear who was QB1 coming out of spring, but then over the follow summer, something happened to the #5. He went to at least one elite QB camp and came away with improved mechanics and better decision making, and around the second scrimmage the following fall, he became QB1 and never looked back.

Tommy Mellott isn’t a complete QB yet, but I am quite confident he will be. He is (technically) a true freshman and only got QB4 reps through fall camp. As it was, he spent most of the fall camp on special teams. His reps as QB leading up to this playoff game didn’t include any packages other than Tommy right and Tommy left. He has had only two weeks to learn a more comprehensive package ahead of his first start, and needless to say, the conditions were awful for throwing the ball. This week will be better, and the marginal (at best) SHSU secondary shouldn’t sleep on this kid. Although many over here want to believe otherwise, Tommy Mellott gives this Bobcat football team a chance to win next Saturday.

Next year I suspect he’ll compete in the fall and slowly emerge as QB1 with a much more balanced skill set. Exactly like another kid did as he came into his sophomore season.

I see a Troy Anderson clone all the way. Helluva runner, not a great passer. No comparison to Delirious!!

go96griz said:
ABQCat said:

It all started in 2013 fall camp, the final year of Denarius McGhee. In a scrimmage I attended a scrimmage and witnessed something extraordinary. A young RS freshman wearing the #5 took a zone read that should have been a loss of 4 yards to the house in a blink of an eye. About 4 different defenders had very good leverage and should have limited the play to about 8 yards, but this #5 with a funny name flatly outran nearly every player in backend, and it wasn’t even close. Somebody asked Rob Ash about this kid in an interview and the answer was very concise: he’s not ready to play QB at this level. As electric as the kid was with his feet, he was still unable to throw a football through his RS freshman year.

I see a Troy Anderson clone all the way. Helluva runner, not a great passer. No comparison to Delirious!!

Think he is comparing him to Prukop which I don't see either

IntuitiveGriz said:
Grizzlies1982 said:
You’re right the kid is just a Freshman so his passing game should improve. Yet thus far he hasn’t shown an ability to pass. I was at their Idaho game. Kid’s running ability was al la Troy Andersen but his one down field throw was an off target floater and certainly a pick if Vandal DB wasn’t so bad.

The cats won’t win without some passing threat. Roving better be getting some reps this week. Tommy can rotate in and out, or go into the backfield. Yet if MSU is 80-20 run-pass (with 35% completion rate) Sam Houston will stack the box and destroy them like the Grizzlies did.

The 3 time class AA All State QB can throw deep. Proved it many times over the years.

Troy Andersen was also a multiple time class A All State QB who 'could' throw deep. None the less, his passing skill didn't translate well in college. He was great leading their team and scored a record number of rushing touchdowns. Though he certainly wasn't the one you wanted out there when it was 3rd and 12.

Your Butte kid is tough as nails and can run. Perhaps he can pass too at the college level. Though his tosses versus Great Falls, Kalispell, or Billings West don't necessarily guarantee he can consistently pull it off versus Big Sky teams. The passes he has thrown thus far spell disaster for MSU this coming weekend in Texas. As I posted above Rovig better be getting some reps in practice this week. He is going to be needed to at least rotate with Mellott.

As someone else posted, it would be nice if the kid were a Griz. Though if he were, he certainly would not be the Grizzly QB. His talents would be used elsewhere. He is a great athlete. I honestly wish him well. Though next year I'll be glad to see him in cat/Griz if he's still their quarterback. He will gain a few yards, but we will crush them again.

BWahlberg said:
MSU is going to look at a transfer or two to help the QB room
When has that ever worked for them?

Seriously, can anyone name an actual QB who transferred to MSC and was good?

Their Weather
+ Their “culture”
a QB wasteland

The best ones in recent memory transfered OUT of there or simply said “nah, I’m good.”

Mellott is very good player and someone if he does not get hurt will be a force for the next 3 years. Not sure I would ding him for passing in yesterday's wind. I bet they wish they would have been playing him all along instead of Mckay right now. they put together the right game plan for him and who knows...

Saying he is a terrible passer when they were literally playing a game with winds up to 50mph I think is a very unfair take. With weather like that it's going to change the game plan which in this case fit perfectly into what MSU likes to do, run the ball.

I really think this upcoming week against SHSU will be a better showcase of his abilities unless there is freak weather like there was this past Saturday

Grizzlies1982 said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
The 3 time class AA All State QB can throw deep. Proved it many times over the years.

Troy Andersen was also a multiple time class A All State QB who 'could' throw deep. None the less, his passing skill didn't translate well in college. He was great leading their team and scored a record number of rushing touchdowns. Though he certainly wasn't the one you wanted out there when it was 3rd and 12.

Your Butte kid is tough as nails and can run. Perhaps he can pass too at the college level. Though his tosses versus Great Falls, Kalispell, or Billings West don't necessarily guarantee he can consistently pull it off versus Big Sky teams. The passes he has thrown thus far spell disaster for MSU this coming weekend in Texas. As I posted above Rovig better be getting some reps in practice this week. He is going to be needed to at least rotate with Mellott.

As someone else posted, it would be nice if the kid were a Griz. Though if he were, he certainly would not be the Grizzly QB. His talents would be used elsewhere. He is a great athlete. I honestly wish him well. Though next year I'll be glad to see him in cat/Griz if he's still their quarterback. He will gain a few yards, but we will crush them again.

My thoughts exactly. AA Montana HS, while good, isn’t college.

UTGrizFan said:
Saying he is a terrible passer when they were literally playing a game with winds up to 50mph I think is a very unfair take. With weather like that it's going to change the game plan which in this case fit perfectly into what MSU likes to do, run the ball.

I really think this upcoming week against SHSU will be a better showcase of his abilities unless there is freak weather like there was this past Saturday
SHSU will stop the run like Montana did. Then good or bad, the kid's passing will be exposed.

kemajic said:
UTGrizFan said:

SHSU will stop the run like Montana did. Then good or bad, the kid's passing will be exposed.
Just so people know: The Griz ended the regular season as #4 in Rushing Defense, giving up just 75.1 rushing Yards per Game. (Great! :thumb: ) SHSU was #2, giving up only 71.4 YPG.

UTGrizFan said:

There is more evidence than Saturday's game that passing the ball is not Mellott's strength.

ABQCat said:

It all started in 2013 fall camp, the final year of Denarius McGhee. I attended a scrimmage and witnessed something extraordinary. A young RS freshman wearing the #5 took a zone read that should have been a loss of 4 yards to the house in a blink of an eye. About 4 different defenders had very good leverage and should have limited the play to about 8 yards, but this #5 with a funny name flatly outran nearly every player in backend, and it wasn’t even close. Somebody asked Rob Ash about this kid in an interview and the answer was very concise: he’s not ready to play QB at this level. As electric as the kid was with his feet, he was still unable to throw a football through his RS freshman year.

I spit hot cocoa all over my lap reading this fairytale.

Cats need to go back to recruiting QBs, like they did prior to 2015.

I hope this kid from Butte proves all the nay sayers wrong. It's not like he hasn't won a game or two. Weather in Texas might be more like that in Montana. SHSU has speed and talent, just like JMU. I think both teams will win their games though I think UM will be very close.

ABQCat said:

Thank you, I did cozy up to the fire after I grabbed a glass of whiskey, put on my cozy slippers, and even my smoking jacket (though I gave up smoking years ago). It was a lovely evening read.

It was also lovely that Brent, Grady, you and I all agree the dude is a football player! Though I don’t see the “Butte Lad” in the same category as either the Russian Lad, or the Irish Lad (ah memories, god I miss taunting those two).

Two out of these three could consistently complete a pass. The Butte Lad isn’t one. Two years from now you may say “see you were wrong”. I’ll man up and admit it if that happens.

However today while I am pulling for the cats to beat Sam Houston I see disaster with the lack of any real passing attack. Hope he proves me wrong. Cats defense will do well but if you only have a running game those Bearcats will win by two scores or more. Somehow if you keep it balanced MSU could come away with the upset. So. Dakota State will upset Villanova so you could have a semi-final game there in Bozeman. Come on kittens make that happen!

Good luck Tommy, and good luck cats. Go make Montana and the Big Sky proud! The Griz have their hands full with an even tougher challenge. Love to see a rematch in Frisco, Texas. It is possible. Go Griz!

Grizzlies1982 said:
The Griz have their hands full with an even tougher challenge. Love to see a rematch in Frisco, Texas. It is possible. Go Griz!
The Griz have a real challenge on their hands but not a big as MSU's. The Griz have a chance to win; MSU not so much.

I think he has a chance to be all around good. Obviously he is a pretty good running QB and he is athletic and I think he is motivated so he has a decent chance of figuring out any passing deficiency he has. I don’t think we know how deficient he is or isn’t yet. There isn’t much college data available.

kemajic said:
UTGrizFan said:

There is more evidence than Saturday's game that passing the ball is not Mellott's strength.

Ding ding ding. There’s a very BIG reason the cats only had him running the ball in their non-windy games too. Gamer, tough, explosive….yes….legit passing threat…..no.

Back