• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Toure/Flowers- WR's

Holy cats, how did this go from an amazing breakout game for Flowers to a beat down of Cam? The TDs to Flowers were things of beauty from both players. He and Sammy together will be a nightmare to cover. I was bummed when Samori left, but I feel much better now- for each of them.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
It’s not perfection, its consistency and finding the open receiver that most including myself want to see. When he’s on, cam is a terrific QB, and incredibly fun to watch. But he’s only on about 1/2 to 3/4 of the time. The other 1/2 to 1/4 of the time he doesn’t see the wide open guy and instead throws into traffic, which can lead to turnovers. He also has a tendency to overthrow receivers. He has time to improve, and maybe he will. But right now he is probably the biggest question mark on this team and it’s weakest link, as RB looks to be in good hands with the trio of Harris, Childs and Bergen.
This is the BS post of the year. Full of negative hyperbole. Cam only on half to 3/4 of the time?? Cam the team's weak link?? Reacquaint yourself with results and stats of the games. I will submit that RB remains my biggest concern since Knight went out. We have a good crew of PROSPECTS. That's much riskier than having CH at QB, who has managed all the games he's played in sans the Idaho game. He is a winner.

Ursus1 said:
I am still surprised that Turner doesn't get some touches (other than clean up) with the top 3 hurt.
Agree, especially on short yardage situations. 229 lb, still quick.

ChesterGriz said:
gotgame75 said:
For example, I assume you saw the pick 6 he threw that got erased by a WIU penalty? Not only did he overthrow his receiver, but threw in to tight coverage to begin with. It was a bad choice and a bad throw. We'd like to see things like this cleaned up a bit. Cam balled out today, but these kind of mistakes will us cost big time in tight games. A lot of this is decision-making, so I'm sure Cam will sharpen his skills and mastery of the offense as the season goes on.
I saw a pick 6 but I don’t recall a pick 6 that was erased by a penalty. Did I miss something?
It didn't happen; he's trying to support his lame narrative. The WIU TD that was called back was their offensive play.

codycleve said:
Not sure how this thread turned so fast but Flowers was our leading receiver tonight. He has that straight line down field speed. I don't think he is toure in the cuts in and out.however he is a deep threat for sure. I have been waiting for years for him to get involved in the offense.
His YAC could be superior to Toure; watch some of his KO returns to watch his field vision and cutting capability. He'd been underutilized as a receiver until Toure left. I remember Mariani not getting enough time as a sophomore.

Ursus1 said:
I am still surprised that Turner doesn't get some touches (other than clean up) with the top 3 hurt.

Agree after watching him last night I think he made a good case that he should get carries. Averaged 6+ per carry behind a 2nd team O Line.

kemajic said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
It’s not perfection, its consistency and finding the open receiver that most including myself want to see. When he’s on, cam is a terrific QB, and incredibly fun to watch. But he’s only on about 1/2 to 3/4 of the time. The other 1/2 to 1/4 of the time he doesn’t see the wide open guy and instead throws into traffic, which can lead to turnovers. He also has a tendency to overthrow receivers. He has time to improve, and maybe he will. But right now he is probably the biggest question mark on this team and it’s weakest link, as RB looks to be in good hands with the trio of Harris, Childs and Bergen.
This is the BS post of the year. Full of negative hyperbole. Cam only on half to 3/4 of the time?? Cam the team's weak link?? Reacquaint yourself with results and stats of the games. I will submit that RB remains my biggest concern since Knight went out. We have a good crew of PROSPECTS. That's much riskier than having CH at QB, who has managed all the games he's played in sans the Idaho game. He is a winner.

Amen. Other than the loss of multiple RB’s, there IS no weak spot on this team this year. And with THIS O-line and playmakers, even down to our 5th string RB may not be a “weakness”.

kemajic said:
ChesterGriz said:
I saw a pick 6 but I don’t recall a pick 6 that was erased by a penalty. Did I miss something?
It didn't happen; he's trying to support his lame narrative. The WIU TD that was called back was their offensive play.

I was sure it didn’t happen but I had to ask.

kemajic said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Dude, I don’t disagree. Cam is a winner! I just don’t subscribe to the “this team has no weaknesses” baloney. Every team has its weakness that other teams will look to exploit, and currently in my opinion that’s cam and his tendency to make poor decisions when pressured, his tendency to miss open receivers, and his tendency overthrow or put too much mustard on many of his passes. In your opinion the running backs are a potential weakness. Fine. I don’t get why it’s inappropriate to look at a great game and find the areas of needed improvement. Christ it’s not like I’m calling for him to be benched. A better team turns those two picks and a fumble into points. Child’s sat an entire quarter for a fumble, and it’s all good, but we can’t even have a discussion about cams mistakes?

Flowers is going to give teams fits this year. He’s finally breaking out. We are so talented at WR, and we have an excellent crop of young guys in the wings waiting their turn. This team is going to be very hard to beat. I don't see a loss on the schedule if we continue to play like this. The running game is only going to get better as our backs gain experience and our line continues to gel, which will only make it more difficult for teams to cover these wideouts.

goatcreekgriz said:
I don’t understand the criticism of Cam. Heck, even Tom Brady isn’t perfect, why is perfection expected of Cam? He had a heckuva game (again).

Tom Brady plays NFL competition, the best in the game. Not Western Illinois competition. Cam is okay. He's not great and he's not bad. He's a game manager. I'd take Sneed, Gustafson, Johnson, Selle etc over Cam. If he could put together a full game and get his emotions under control, he could be great. A lot of his passes are scary looking and our WRs make the most of a bad throw. He has already over thrown a lot of wide open people. If his first look isn't open he tends to take off. He needs to make better reads. To me, he seems to get overwhelmed at first until he gets comfortable. If we are playing NDSU. James Madison, or UNI, we don't have time for him to get comfortable. He needs to be comfortable right away. If he improves on that and his accuracy, we are in really good shape. Our defense is baller though and will bail us out a lot, if needed.

There isn't a winnable game on Nebraska's schedule for the rest of the season. No one on that team is doing great.

Flowers looks great

kemajic said:
codycleve said:
Not sure how this thread turned so fast but Flowers was our leading receiver tonight. He has that straight line down field speed. I don't think he is toure in the cuts in and out.however he is a deep threat for sure. I have been waiting for years for him to get involved in the offense.
His YAC could be superior to Toure; watch some of his KO returns to watch his field vision and cutting capability. He'd been underutilized as a receiver until Toure left. I remember Mariani not getting enough time as a sophomore.
Kem, something just occurred to me. Do you have any idea of the percentage of posters on the board that didn’t attend UM?

Griz Addict said:
goatcreekgriz said:
I don’t understand the criticism of Cam. Heck, even Tom Brady isn’t perfect, why is perfection expected of Cam? He had a heckuva game (again).

Tom Brady plays NFL competition, the best in the game. Not Western Illinois competition. Cam is okay. He's not great and he's not bad. He's a game manager. I'd take Sneed, Gustafson, Johnson, Selle etc over Cam. If he could put together a full game and get his emotions under control, he could be great. A lot of his passes are scary looking and our WRs make the most of a bad throw. He has already over thrown a lot of wide open people. If his first look isn't open he tends to take off. He needs to make better reads. To me, he seems to get overwhelmed at first until he gets comfortable. If we are playing NDSU. James Madison, or UNI, we don't have time for him to get comfortable. He needs to be comfortable right away. If he improves on that and his accuracy, we are in really good shape. Our defense is baller though and will bail us out a lot, if needed.
Just getting my head around this; Cam was 20-27 and threw 5 TD's, but he was inconsistent, he overthrows open receivers, and many of his passes were scary looking. Were all of these the 7 passes that weren't caught or were some of them the 20 passes that were? And he can't control his emotions and needs to make better reads. Again were these on the 7 out of 27 passes that he didn't complete or were some of his completions also not up to the standard one should expect.

Griz Addict said:
goatcreekgriz said:

I should pass on responding, but the Cam criticism is ridiculous.

First, I wasn't comparing him to Tom Brady (an amazingly overachieving sixth-round draft pick), but only noted that Brady makes mistakes, too. I could have referenced Johnny Unitas (or even Amanti Edwards), but some people on here wouldn't get it.

Second, Cam's stats are comparable to the better UM QBs over the last thirty years, granted it's still a small sampling, but Cam's stats are depressed because of the UW defense he faced. And beat. Yeah, he was the QB who led the offense against UW and threw no INTs against pro-prospect DBs. Heck, Gustafson threw two INTs against St. Francis. Who? St. Francis. Cam will make mistakes, but he threw zero INTs against UW. I certainly wouldn't take "etc." (Swogger? Roper?) over Cam.

UW is much better than NDSU, James Madison, or UNI. It's not even close. Western Illinois was pretty good and we'll know more after their game against EWU. I don't know what games you are watching, but I see few (if any) "scary looking" passes or "bad throws" from Cam. He's not perfect, but I hope you recorded the Western Illinois game and will watch it again. Maybe Cam should have taken the sack on the first INT against Western Illinois and needed to lead the receiver more on the second INT where no. 41 made a great play on the ball, but Cam was 20 for 27 passing and made some fantastic throws (including both TDs to Flowers, as well as passes to Akem and Roberts). How is this overthrowing "a lot of wide open people"? He also averaged seven yards a carry while running the ball.

I am not sure what you want from Cam. When I read posts like this, I feel like I'm listening to the Ramones because now I wanna sniff some glue.

Or Carbona.

Cam is our QB and he will take this team a long way.

goatcreekgriz said:
Griz Addict said:

First, I wasn't comparing him to Tom Brady (an amazingly overachieving sixth-round draft pick), but only noted that Brady makes mistakes, too. I could have referenced Johnny Unitas (or even Amanti Edwards), but some people on here wouldn't get it.

Second, Cam's stats are comparable to the better UM QBs over the last thirty years, granted it's still a small sampling, but Cam's stats are depressed because of the UW defense he faced. And beat. Yeah, he was the QB who led the offense against UW and threw no INTs against pro-prospect DBs. Heck, Gustafson threw two INTs against St. Francis. Who? St. Francis. Cam will make mistakes, but he threw zero INTs against UW. I certainly wouldn't take "etc." (Swogger? Roper?) over Cam.

UW is much better than NDSU, James Madison, or UNI. It's not even close. Western Illinois was pretty good and we'll know more after their game against EWU. I don't know what games you are watching, but I see few (if any) "scary looking" passes or "bad throws" from Cam. He's not perfect, but I hope you recorded the Western Illinois game and will watch it again. Maybe Cam should have taken the sack on the first INT against Western Illinois and needed to lead the receiver more on the second INT where no. 41 made a great play on the ball, but Cam was 20 for 27 passing and made some fantastic throws (including both TDs to Flowers, as well as passes to Akem and Roberts). How is this overthrowing "a lot of wide open people"? He also averaged seven yards a carry while running the ball.

I am not sure what you want from Cam. When I read posts like this, I feel like I'm listening to the Ramones because now I wanna sniff some glue.

Or Carbona.

Some of the criticism I have is that several of his 20 completions came when he threw to a receiver where there was good coverage and the catch was contested, meanwhile he has a wide open guy streaking across the middle. But yeah, he’s good, I’m not saying he isn’t, and neither are a lot of others, merely pointing out that the guy has not yet played to his potential.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
goatcreekgriz said:

Or Carbona.

Some of the criticism I have is that several of his 20 completions came when he threw to a receiver where there was good coverage and the catch was contested, meanwhile he has a wide open guy streaking across the middle. But yeah, he’s good, I’m not saying he isn’t, and neither are a lot of others, merely pointing out that the guy has not yet played to his potential.

Your points are reasonable and well-taken. Of course Cam can improve, and I hope he does. That’s different than saying he is erratic, emotionally fragile, and just an “okay” QB — Cam is good and I’m happy he plays QB for UM.

goatcreekgriz said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Your points are reasonable and well-taken. Of course Cam can improve, and I hope he does. That’s different than saying he is erratic, emotionally fragile, and just an “okay” QB — Cam is good and I’m happy he plays QB for UM.

So am I. I think most of the criticism is just ridiculous.

Latest posts

Back