• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Trump Wants Live Sports Back Sooner than Later

EverettGriz said:
Agree I-O. My fear is that the less densely populated places are just slower to develop. It would be naive to think that one of the infected truckers from the meat packing plant in SD didn't stop at a gas station, a rest area, a convenience store, a restaurant in Montana. Now you potentially have dozens of locals infected, and what's worse, they don't know it.

This virus could devastate small Montana towns without hospitals.

Hospitals and health care facilities in MT, and many other places, are being hurt badly by the lack of patients and paying customers. Keep beds, etc. open in places like MT is one of the dummest piece es of advice that someone must have given. There are large layoffs in healthcare in places already.

Truckers from the meat plant presumably already driving the meat around the country. They probably back up their rig to a filled refrigerated container on wheels and drive off.

Gas stations don't have someone hugging the trucker when they stop for diesel. Copnveioence stores take precautions. Rest areas? Most aren't even open, and truckers don't hang out there. Restaurants aren't open, if you haven't noticed.

Less densely places generally don't develop cases, because there isn't any virus there, is my view.

EverettGriz said:
Agree I-O. My fear is that the less densely populated places are just slower to develop. It would be naive to think that one of the infected truckers from the meat packing plant in SD didn't stop at a gas station, a rest area, a convenience store, a restaurant in Montana. Now you potentially have dozens of locals infected, and what's worse, they don't know it.

So let's shut down the economy because somebody out there is still sick and may infect someone else. Why not shut down all busses because somebody might get hit? Or ban all pianos and/or anvils because somebody might get one dropped on their heads? Have you picked out your cave to hide in yet?

MikeyGriz said:
EverettGriz said:

So let's shut down the economy because somebody out there is still sick and may infect someone else. Why not shut down all busses because somebody might get hit? Or ban all pianos and/or anvils because somebody might get one dropped on their heads? Have you picked out your cave to hide in yet?

How about rather than using completely ridiculous non sequitur arguments, we do what is proven to work: We shelter at home. The longer places like SD fail to do this, the longer our economy will suffer and the deeper the recession. If we "reopen" the economy and the virus has a resurgence, we might as well use the paper our 401(k) balance is printed on as toilet paper.

And yes, thank you for asking, I HAVE indeed chosen my cave. It's called my home. Where I'm doing what actually needs to be done in order to beat this virus and reopen businesses.

EverettGriz said:
MikeyGriz said:

How about rather than using completely ridiculous non sequitur arguments, we do what is proven to work: We shelter at home. The longer places like SD fail to do this, the longer our economy will suffer and the deeper the recession. If we "reopen" the economy and the virus has a resurgence, we might as well use the paper our 401(k) balance is printed on as toilet paper.

And yes, thank you for asking, I HAVE indeed chosen my cave. It's called my home. Where I'm doing what actually needs to be done in order to beat this virus and reopen businesses.

If sheltering at home has been proven to work, why is NYC still having problems? Why has the virus not been stopped, not just blunted? I'm not saying that this action isn't helping reduce the infection rates. It is clearly better than doing nothing at all. If this action has been proven to work, why not have EVERYONE shelter and more quickly defeat this pandemic? My fear is that the cure will be worse than the disease.

The fact that NYC is still having problems is exactly the concern with the virus: increased numbers of cases, hospitalizations and death are trailing indicators. People exposed up to two weeks ago may just now begin exhibiting symptoms. This is why leveling the curve and minimizing the spread of the virus is so critical.

It's also why places like SD may still be in deep shit.

And of course, no one is happy with what's happened in the economy. But if Covid is allowed to continue for weeks and even months into the future, we may not have an economy to worry about. I want things back to normal just as much as the next guy. But to do it just to meet some arbitrary deadline is a sure way to decimate the economy (as well as kill thousands of Americans, if we still care about such things).

EverettGriz said:
The fact that NYC is still having problems is exactly the concern with the virus: increased numbers of cases, hospitalizations and death are trailing indicators. People exposed up to two weeks ago may just now begin exhibiting symptoms. This is why leveling the curve and minimizing the spread of the virus is so critical.

And of course, no one is happy with what's happened in the economy. But if Covid is allowed to continue for weeks and even months into the future, we may not have an economy to worry about. I want things back to normal just as much as the next guy. But to do it just to meet some arbitrary deadline is a sure way to decimate the economy (as well as kill thousands of Americans, if we still care about such things).

Sure are a lotta experts being created during this pandemic.

Your position seems to say let's be safe, stay home and let Covid "continue for weeks and even months into the future"...based on that... "we may not have an economy to worry about" is already pretty much a given!

All you people hunkered down are just delaying the inevitable. Get your ass out there and live your life. FFS, the mortality rate is what....0.1% Your in your house for that?!? The problem is that your watching too much damn TV while sitting on your ass. Won't be long now and the folks in SD will all have been exposed and over it. The only people that should be sheltered should be the compromised and the elderly. The rest of us need to move on. I haven't been locked up one single day and I'm fine and so are all the people I've been in contact with. Bunch of pansy asses!!!! Oh, and Go Griz!

Mousegriz said:
EverettGriz said:

Your position seems to say let's be safe, stay home and let Covid "continue for weeks and even months into the future"...based on that... "we may not have an economy to worry about" is already pretty much a given!

I'm no Covid expert. I simply listen to those who are.

Regarding the economy, yeah, I'm kind of an expert.

66volvo said:
Not so fast Donald! You also wanted to see the churches packed by this next Sunday for Easter because it would be "...a beautiful day, a beautiful date." As much as we all want organized, fan-based sports to resume, lets not be a part of further spread with persistent rolling waves throughout the country endangering peoples' lives. This will be with us for a long time. Sports will emerge when the time is prudent for it to do so.

Agree 1000%, to push it isn't the right answer. If we have to wait longer so be it. To come back sooner and see another increase in the spread would be a huge set back. Time is key,

EverettGriz said:
MikeyGriz said:

Talk about ridiculous arguments.

The bulk of SD's cases are in the country Sioux Falls is in, which is where the pork plant is, which is where most of the cases are. The plant was an essential service. A shelter in place order wouldn't have impacted any or that, or SD.

You are missing the point on SD. SD has 1168 cases. 934 of those cases are in the county Sioux Falls is in. 644 of those cases are associated with the meat plant. 518 employees at the meat plant are infected. Thus, all of SD including Sioux Falls has only 524 cases not associated with the meat plant, and only 234 cases outside of that county. MT has more deaths than SD. These stats are a day or two out of date, due to the date of the below article.

"The number of people testing positive for the coronavirus in South Dakota has surpassed 1,100, and more than half of those cases have some connection to the Smithfield Foods pork processing plant in Sioux Falls.

Health officials said Wednesday that 180 more people tested positive for COVID-19 in the last day, bringing the statewide total to 1,168 cases. A total of 934 cases were in Minnehaha County, the location of the Smithfield Foods plant.

"The plant is one of the largest known clusters of COVID-19 cases in the country. As of Wednesday, 644 people with connections to the plant were infected. That number includes 518 employees, including one who died on Tuesday morning."

https://apnews.com/b20cd0c7c71b828eb164fbe069050aac

EverettGriz said:
Mousegriz said:

You have no clue about the economy or the virus. I can see it in your posts.

PR, what's going on with you? You've done this great service, posting all this info. You can tell from 50 odd pages it's been great and engaging. The last couple days you've made a few posts that seem very insulting to some posters. No need, at least I don't think anybody is attacking you.

To everyone who is following this, remember they call it a novel coronavirus. Novel means it's new, so nobody knows what to do all the time. Not the CDC, not the Government, not any country, not anybody. Let's all take a breath and remember we are all trying to figure new stuff out. Are the rates of infection, mortality, spread, economic impact, whatever numbers gonna be "Jimmy the Greek" right? Hell no!

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

You have no clue about the economy or the virus. I can see it in your posts.

Hahahahah. You can’t make this shit up, people!!

https://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/university-of-wyoming-analysis-argues-social-distancing-outweighs-alternative-by-5-2-trillion/article_27fe4198-b477-5bbc-afdb-f75a793ecdc5.html?fbclid=IwAR3EHERbLrRh3LuKiDTJDWuMdLRQmMwKXdQr603T5s6MlKsEFSFTMziYxZk#tracking-source=home-the-latest

Huh.

EverettGriz said:
MikeyGriz said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/health/south-korea-coronavirus-retesting-positive-intl-hnk/index.html

SaskGriz said:
PR, what's going on with you? You've done this great service, posting all this info. You can tell from 50 odd pages it's been great and engaging. The last couple days you've made a few posts that seem very insulting to some posters. No need, at least I don't think anybody is attacking you.

To everyone who is following this, remember they call it a novel coronavirus. Novel means it's new, so nobody knows what to do all the time. Not the CDC, not the Government, not any country, not anybody. Let's all take a breath and remember we are all trying to figure new stuff out. Are the rates of infection, mortality, spread, economic impact, whatever numbers gonna be "Jimmy the Greek" right? Hell no!

I just call it as I seen em. Everett said he knows alot or decent amount about the economy. I disagree and I told him. Not an insult at all.

EverettGriz said:
https://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/university-of-wyoming-analysis-argues-social-distancing-outweighs-alternative-by-5-2-trillion/article_27fe4198-b477-5bbc-afdb-f75a793ecdc5.html?fbclid=IwAR3EHERbLrRh3LuKiDTJDWuMdLRQmMwKXdQr603T5s6MlKsEFSFTMziYxZk#tracking-source=home-the-latest

Huh.

1. The "study" is a joke, in my view. And it's not a study; it's another model, which is presumably way off base, like virtually all of them have been. Completely irrelevant and off base. I've gotten some feedback from others who agree. Written by a young associate professor who seems to be originally from Sweden. Her assumptions are wrong. The fact that Bullock has sited it, without even reading it I assume because it hasn't yet been published, shows how little he knows about economics and the virus. The fact that you cite it too, is the same. How can a governor being citing a newspaper article in an important decision he is making. I hope he isn't getting his info from airline magazines, like Regan apparently did.

From the Wyo. "study":

"Wyoming analysis found that social distancing efforts to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus outweigh the economic costs of such measures by trillions of dollars, while also saving more than a million lives.

[Who had advocated no social distancing? Wonder what the analysis says about the positive affect of washing hands, covering mouth on coughs/sneezes, and other basic things? Is that even factored in, and what is the quantity? What good does it do to compare social distancing to no social distancing. No one is going to just end all social distancing.]

"The $10 million figure used by researchers as a value for each American’s life is a “controversial number,” Thunstrom said, and it doesn’t take into account people’s age." [The study doesn't value the hundreds of thousands of kids who may die in 2020. See below.]

"It also indicates that more than 1.2 million lives will be saved, both as a direct result of decreased mortality from the disease itself and as a result of the health care system not being overrun by a wave of coronavirus patients.

“Based on our ... model, the total number of infections is projected to reach 287 million without social distancing and 188 million with social distancing,” Thunstrom and her colleagues wrote. “When combined with the differential mortality rates [what mortality rate was used?] when the health system capacity threshold is exceeded versus when not, the difference between the infection curves translates into about 1.24 million lives saved.”

[I bet the "study" uses a mortality rate that is way too high.]

2. Do you care about this?

""U.N. warns economic downturn could kill hundreds of thousands of children in 2020

Hundreds of thousands of children could die this year due to the global economic downturn sparked by the coronavirus pandemic and tens of millions more could fall into extreme poverty as a result of the crisis, the United Nations warned on Thursday."

"Hundreds of thousands of children could die this year due to the global economic downturn sparked by the coronavirus pandemic and tens of millions more could fall into extreme poverty as a result of the crisis, the United Nations warned on Thursday.

The world body also said in a risk report that nearly 369 million children across 143 countries who normally rely on school meals for a reliable source of daily nutrition have now been forced to look elsewhere.

“We must act now on each of these threats to our children,” U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said. “Leaders must do everything in their power to cushion the impact of the pandemic. What started as a public health emergency has snowballed into a formidable test for the global promise to leave no one behind.”

The United Nations said an estimated 42 million to 66 million children could fall into extreme poverty as a result of the coronavirus crisis this year, adding to the estimated 386 million children already in extreme poverty in 2019.

The U.N. report on children also said 188 countries have imposed countrywide school closures, affecting more than 1.5 billion children."

Reuters: https://apple.news/A2MjiQEsbQRynkwOT1c4rgQ

fanofzoo said:
EverettGriz said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/health/south-korea-coronavirus-retesting-positive-intl-hnk/index.html

As I have said, I have seen nothing to indicate that anyone has gotten the virus twice. An important thing to determine, but some scientists are saying that better tests detect more and better, and may be detecting the remnants of the virus after someone has gotten over the virus. More to come, I assume.

PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:

I just call it as I seen em. Everett said he knows alot or decent amount about the economy. I disagree and I told him. Not an insult at all.

The fact that you and I disagree confirms I'm right.

Not an insult.

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

The fact that you and I disagree confirms I'm right.

Not an insult.

Give us some stats on the economic situation. Let's see what you know and can find.

Do you value the lives of the mainly older and unhealthy people that this woman's analysis claims would be saved from no social distancing over the lives of hundreds of thousands of kids who the UN says may die in 2020 as a result of the economic downtown and increased poverty?

Back