• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UCLA/USC

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

I've yet to hear of either a Cat or Griz function outside of Montana with the Athletic Departments and coaches in attendance. Both schools make their rounds throughout Montana.

Uh, it happens at least annually in Seattle, Spokane and Portland. Hauck, Travis, Tinks, O'Day, Haslam, Maes, Ingram have all been here at events. Hell, up until a few years back we had annual Roundball golf tournament and they came and played in it.

I'm sure when we're FBS and have far more revenue, they'll be able to do it even more.

Ursa Major said:
EverettGriz said:
There are significant resources at the FBS level. And it’s not just football television revenue. A MWC basketball team who advances to the Sweet 16 would earn more than the total annual athletic budgets of most bsc programs. Paying the fixed-cost bills would not be an issue, in my mind.

The large but — and it’s a really big one — is the answer to the questions Ursa raises: specifically what will NIL due to the economics of college athletics long-term, and will the state legislators have the foresight to invest up-front monies necessary for the start up costs, in order to get long-run financial gain from the athletic departments.

EG,

I hope that one or both of the schools are doing some behind the scenes lobbying on these issues in Helena with the BOR. At least to put the idea on the table, gauge the support for such a move and develop some potential contingency plans.

I can foresee a scenario where the hot chick in class says “yes” on going to the school dance with you only to later have to call her back and say “my parents won’t let me go.”

Even a concerned citizens group could do some preliminary advocating for the cause. With the slowdown in the housing market I’m sure Mike and Brint have some free time on their hands. They could load Data Point into a small bowl grab a cold pack at Ole’s and be in Helena in two hours.

I agree completely on all points, Ursa.

I would just encourage Brint to put together some graphs before heading out.

"Both schools made $20 million in media rights revenue in the Pac-12 in 2021. Based on Big Ten revenue projections, the two schools could make upwards of $100 million apiece when they join the conference in 2024." Source: Yahoo.

Where's Montana's big NIL money going to come from?

"What is the largest nil deal?
Five-star recruit in Class of 2023 signs agreement with collective that could pay him more than $8 million. Two NIL experts The Athletic spoke to believe this deal is the largest individual NIL deal signed by a non-professional athlete.Apr 19, 2022"

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/story/sports/college/football/2022/03/17/8-million-nil-alabama-football-nick-saban/7053577001/

"Nine states sanction high school NIL: Alaska, California, Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York and Utah.May 26, 2022"

"Ohio State believes it needs $13 million in NIL money to keep its football roster together"
https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2022/06/ohio-state-believes-it-needs-13-million-in-nil-money-to-keep-its-football-roster-together-doug-lesmerises.html

"Mountain West Should Not Be Too Worried About Losing Members"

"At the moment, it seems that the news is where will the Pac-12 schools go if that league does fall apart. The options are all over the place and a lot of it has to do if Oregon and Washington leave

From rumors and reports, the Pac-12 is not currently looking at any of the Mountain West schools to add, but again, that could change if the two big Northwest schools leave.

Even if the Huskies and Ducks leave, the Big 12 could swoop in and take the Arizona and Rocky Mountain schools, which has been an option reported.

That could end up meaning that the Pac-12 falls apart and the Mountain West might actually be able to land a few teams like Oregon State and Washington State."

The rest are a step below and the Pac-12 without USC and UCLA is just a little bit better than the Mountain West.

However, Fresno State, San Diego State, Boise State, and others would still probably like to jump to that league if the right teams are in there."

https://mwwire.com/2022/07/03/mountain-west-should-not-be-too-worried-about-losing-members/

So what sport are you going to add to become FBS eligible? Because right now you’re not. So forget about this talk to the Mountain West.

SactoHornetFan said:
So what sport are you going to add to become FBS eligible? Because right now you’re not. So forget about this talk to the Mountain West.

We have a hockey team, just make it an official and not a club sport and we’re good to go. Not that big of a deal

EverettGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
EG,

I hope that one or both of the schools are doing some behind the scenes lobbying on these issues in Helena with the BOR. At least to put the idea on the table, gauge the support for such a move and develop some potential contingency plans.

I can foresee a scenario where the hot chick in class says “yes” on going to the school dance with you only to later have to call her back and say “my parents won’t let me go.”

Even a concerned citizens group could do some preliminary advocating for the cause. With the slowdown in the housing market I’m sure Mike and Brint have some free time on their hands. They could load Data Point into a small bowl grab a cold pack at Ole’s and be in Helena in two hours.

I agree completely on all points, Ursa.

I would just encourage Brint to put together some graphs before heading out.

I don’t know, EG, a couple of pros like that don’t need graphs. Mike and Brint could walk into the governor’s office tomorrow with the owner’s manual from a 1979 Sunbeam handheld hair dryer and walk out with a tacit agreement to cover additional scholarship costs for both schools.

Every time I see either of them walking towards me I move my wallet from my back pocket to my front pocket.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
SactoHornetFan said:

We have a hockey team, just make it an official and not a club sport and we’re good to go. Not that big of a deal

Riiiiiiiiight

SactoHornetFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Riiiiiiiiight

The correct answer is Mens Golf...that would be 7 mens sports to combine with 9 womens. I know, I know, rocket science.

SactoHornetFan said:

Can’t tell if this is a serious question…..

EverettGriz said:
SactoHornetFan said:

Can’t tell if this is a serious question…..

Does it matter what a Pam state fan thinks about what Montana will or wont do?

Since the PAC12 schools are tier 1 research schools, most likely UC Davis, Utah State, or Colorado State would be invited into the conference.

HelenaHandBasket said:
1981Griz said:
Since the PAC12 schools are tier 1 research schools, most likely UC Davis, Utah State, or Colorado State would be invited into the conference.

I quit at UC Davis. :roll:
Agree. If Utah and Colorado stay put, USU and CSU would make sense.

The battle between the major conferences is turning into a blood bath. Talk of Clemson, Florida State and Miami leaving the ACC or Arizona, Arizona State leaving the PAC 12 will have a devastating impact on their existing conferences. What will happen to the Mountain West after the dust settles? Do they lose several schools? What happens to Montana and Montana State? Will the Mountain West have much interest?
Many of you have been talking about conference changes in the future. Well, you are right, but the future is here in a very big way. The NCAA seems to have forfeited their power to the conferences.
At this point, what is the destiny of UM and MSU regarding athletic conferences?

Spanky2 said:
At this point, what is the destiny of UM and MSU regarding athletic conferences?
Since it's all about money and we bring little TV market, it's not a beacon of light.

kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:
Since it's all about money and we bring little TV market, it's not a beacon of light.
It’s looking like the only option will be to stay FCS in the Big Sky Conference. Lack of action by UM administration may have cost us a favorable outcome.

Back