• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UCLA/USC

Spanky2 said:
kemajic said:
Since it's all about money and we bring little TV market, it's not a beacon of light.
It’s looking like the only option will be to stay FCS in the Big Sky Conference. Lack of action by UM administration may have cost us a favorable outcome.
What action by UM admin would have changed our fate? Our big handicaps are the remote location and lack of significant TV market to bring to a game. UM admin could have changed that?

Spanky2 said:
kemajic said:
Since it's all about money and we bring little TV market, it's not a beacon of light.
It’s looking like the only option will be to stay FCS in the Big Sky Conference. Lack of action by UM administration may have cost us a favorable outcome.

I am not so sure that the BSC will continue to exist. I think most of the current athletic departments will struggle to maintain FCS level football with the possible loss of finances from payout games. Montana and Montana St may stay at a comparable level, but the surrounding landscape will change.

kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:
What action by UM admin would have changed our fate? Our big handicaps are the remote location and lack of significant TV market to bring to a game. UM admin could have changed that?
He's just trying to make excuses Kem. He's a little bitter that the PAC 12 doesn't appear to want any MWC schools.

kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:

In my view, yes, although it’s water under the bridge. Before decisions were based primarily on the size of TV markets, action by Dennison/O’Day, Engstrom/Haslam likely could have given us the opportunity to move to the Mountain West. Doing nothing while expressing satisfaction with FCS and the Big Sky Conference sealed our fate.

SactoHornetFan said:
So what sport are you going to add to become FBS eligible? Because right now you’re not. So forget about this talk to the Mountain West.

Baseball, Hockey, Wrestling would be my choices.

Spanky2 said:
kemajic said:

In my view, yes, although it’s water under the bridge. Before decisions were based primarily on the size of TV markets, action by Dennison/O’Day, Engstrom/Haslam likely could have given us the opportunity to move to the Mountain West. Doing nothing while expressing satisfaction with FCS and the Big Sky Conference sealed our fate.
I may be wrong, but I cannot recall anything close to an opportunity to move to the MWC. The only one I do recall was with the WAC and in retrospect that would have been a disaster. And there was always the BOR requirement that MSU tag along which was not on UM admin.

But you are right in that it has never appeared that UM admin has ever been aggressive in charting a future course for the program, seemingly satisfied with its role in the Big Sigh.

BIG 12 meeting today to discuss adding AZ, AZ ST, Utah, and Colorado.

They are also trying to figure out how to lure WA and OR - don't think they can do so, but their intent is to at least force a bidding war with the BIG.

Griz til I die said:
kemajic said:
He's just trying to make excuses Kem. He's a little bitter that the PAC 12 doesn't appear to want any MWC schools.
It's game of thrones right now with the power 5.

AZ, AZ ST, COLORADO, UTAH meeting with Big12. (today)
SEC hinting they want WA and OR.
PAC12 asking TCU and OK ST if they would join PAC12. (won't)
PAC 12 emergency meeting about money for schools (today)

Hell, at this rate, schools like WA ST and OR ST might need to JOIN the MWC.

Yukon said:
Griz til I die said:
It's game of thrones right now with the power 5.

AZ, AZ ST, COLORADO, UTAH meeting with Big12. (today)
SEC hinting they want WA and OR.
PAC12 asking TCU and OK ST if they would join PAC12. (won't)
PAC 12 emergency meeting about money for schools (today)

Hell, at this rate, schools like WA ST and OR ST might need to JOIN the MWC.

I think that’s exactly what’s going to happen (with Wazzu and OSU).

In all of the proposed moves over the years, it was never the PAC-12 that I thought would be disbanded. Heavy money would have been on the B-12.

Forgive me for I’ve been on the road without ability to really look at all of this. Here’s my dumb question: Does all of this movement just pertain to football? Or is it all sports?

kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:
I may be wrong, but I cannot recall anything close to an opportunity to move to the MWC. The only one I do recall was with the WAC and in retrospect that would have been a disaster. And there was always the BOR requirement that MSU tag along which was not on UM admin.

But you are right in that it has never appeared that UM admin has ever been aggressive in charting a future course for the program, seemingly satisfied with its role in the Big Sigh.

This is my understanding too, except that it was my understanding the UM's continued investment in new and improved facilities was done, at least in part, to get UM in position to respond to the likely changing landscape, which could include or have included a move-up.

mthoopsfan said:
kemajic said:

This is my understanding too, except that it was my understanding the UM's continued investment in new and improved facilities was done, at least in part, to get UM in position to respond to the likely changing landscape, which could include or have included a move-up.

My understanding as well.

AZGrizFan said:
In all of the proposed moves over the years, it was never the PAC-12 that I thought would be disbanded. Heavy money would have been on the B-12.

Same with me, but I think we both would have seem the issue coming had we known how bad the tv contract and Pac-12 Network was, and how little revenue the PAC-12 schools were getting. Yes, there was covid a year or so ago, but Big 10 got double the revenues of the PAC-12. I had more respect for the PAC-12 and what it was doing, than I should have. It looks like the PAC-12 will fall apart, or at least a shadow of itself. I wonder what WA and Oregon will do.

Griz til I die said:
kemajic said:

Why would I be bitter about that?

Spanky2 said:
The movement of schools within conferences involves all sports.

Thanks. Excuse me while I advise my sports-betting neighbor to go wild on some Big 10 water polo and golf futures.

CDAGRIZ said:
Spanky2 said:
The movement of schools within conferences involves all sports.

Thanks. Excuse me while I advise my sports-betting neighbor to go wild on some Big 10 water polo and golf futures.

Big 10 Beach Volleyball Champs

Senior_Class_2019_BVB_DL012.jpg

Back