• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM Grizzlies @ #25 Washington Huskies

Once upon a time we beat them on their home court! Yup, this UM alum as a UW grad student watched the Griz jaw drop the Dogs that night in '92, or maybe '93?

MTbest said:
Once upon a time we beat them on their home court! Yup, this UM alum as a UW grad student watched the Griz jaw drop the Dogs that night in '92, or maybe '93?

We were a free throw away from taking them to OT the last time we played them

Wish it had been a bit closer, but after the slow start I was impressed with their ability to make a comeback and hang with a team that was more physically imposing than they were. It was nice to see them working the zone and figuring it out at times. That's something that didn't happen with Tinkles teams in the tournament (How's that for alliteration!) Our guys competed and worked their asses off. If only we had the bigs that were stuck in limbo, that would have been a really fun game!

34 fouls to 18. Washington shoots 33 more FT. UW Somehow only has 7 fouls in second half. Real kicker was Pridgett getting his 4th foul on a ridiculous technical after someone shoved the ball in his chest.
Montana had more assists and was pretty close in rebounds. Too bad we couldn’t have seen what Montana could do at full strength tonight.

ValleyGriz said:
34 fouls to 18. Washington shoots 33 more FT. UW Somehow only has 7 fouls in second half. Real kicker was Pridgett getting his 4th foul on a ridiculous technical after someone shoved the ball in his chest.
Montana had more assists and was pretty close in rebounds. Too bad we couldn’t have seen what Montana could do at full strength tonight.
Was gonna start a thread on the Box Score, but you did a great job. There are actually more stats that are crazy in this game. Just Wow, not sure I have ever watched a game like this, and witnessed these kind of odd stats?

Without saying anything more about the foul situation, a few bullet points.
• Montana played solid defense against a much larger, fast opponent. This alone is going to help this team down the road.
• Loved how the Griz refused to be intimidated. So many times I've seen a Montana team play scared, nervous or tentative. At the game's start there was a bit of that, but this team didn't back down. That makes this game a valuable confidence builder for a very young team.
• Montana got valuable experience against an outstanding zone defense and an outstanding defensive team. You could just see how they were starting to get a vision of how their zone offense (the passes into the high post especially) was starting to open things up for them. Montana will probably not see a zone defense as good as Washington's for the rest of the season, so this was the perfect opportunity to work on stretching that zone.
• I particularly see this game as a confidence-builder for Eddy Egun (shot well, still tentative on offense), Kyle Owens (battled & moved well in tall timber) and especially Josh Vazquez. I think this was a breakout game for Josh, and a sign of his potential to score... both from the perimeter and on drives (though he passed off on a couple of drives instead of finishing with a shot attempt).
• Though he didn't shoot at a very good percentage, this was also a good outing for Kendal Manuel. He's starting to realize his ability to dribble penetrate into the key (especially in the 2nd half). As he gets more comfortable, I think his shots will start falling.
• I'm seeing game-by-game growth from Mac as well. His ability to patrol the upper key by hedging the middle on D has improved a ton. He moves well, runs the court well. I also think as he goes up against Power 5 bigs, it will help him down the road.
• Was also nice to see Sayeed generate some offense for himself. He's tough to defend one on one, and he paced the Griz in the 2nd half until he got his final two mystery fouls.
• Carter Hollinger had a quiet game, but I think he's going to be very valuable in the paint for Montana as the season progresses.
• Timmy looks like he's still getting into game shape after missing almost the enire preseason.
• Lastly, this is still a young team, but tonight I saw glimpses of the type of team they have the ability to become. I don't yet know if they'll realize that potential this season... but think they can get close. Go Griz.

grizzlyjournal said:
Without saying anything more about the foul situation, a few bullet points.
• Montana played solid defense against a much larger, fast opponent. This alone is going to help this team down the road.
• Loved how the Griz refused to be intimidated. So many times I've seen a Montana team play scared, nervous or tentative. At the game's start there was a bit of that, but this team didn't back down. That makes this game a valuable confidence builder for a very young team.
• Montana got valuable experience against an outstanding zone defense and an outstanding defensive team. You could just see how they were starting to get a vision of how their zone offense (the passes into the high post especially) was starting to open things up for them. Montana will probably not see a zone defense as good as Washington's for the rest of the season, so this was the perfect opportunity to work on stretching that zone.
• I particularly see this game as a confidence-builder for Eddy Egun (shot well, still tentative on offense), Kyle Owens (battled & moved well in tall timber) and especially Josh Vazquez. I think this was a breakout game for Josh, and a sign of his potential to score... both from the perimeter and on drives (though he passed off on a couple of drives instead of finishing with a shot attempt).
• Though he didn't shoot at a very good percentage, this was also a good outing for Kendal Manuel. He's starting to realize his ability to dribble penetrate into the key (especially in the 2nd half). As he gets more comfortable, I think his shots will start falling.
• I'm seeing game-by-game growth from Mac as well. His ability to patrol the upper key by hedging the middle on D has improved a ton. He moves well, runs the court well. I also think as he goes up against Power 5 bigs, it will help him down the road.
• Was also nice to see Sayeed generate some offense for himself. He's tough to defend one on one, and he paced the Griz in the 2nd half until he got his final two mystery fouls.
• Carter Hollinger had a quiet game, but I think he's going to be very valuable in the paint for Montana as the season progresses.
• Timmy looks like he's still getting into game shape after missing almost the enire preseason.
• Lastly, this is still a young team, but tonight I saw glimpses of the type of team they have the ability to become. I don't yet know if they'll realize that potential this season... but think they can get close. Go Griz.
Journal I think you are “dead nut” on everything, but Mac? I hope he can pick it up, but starting to wonder? Also, Timmy had his worst game against a big time program! That’s a first for him. Kid got confidence and skills. Timmy will be huge for us the next two years. You are right the injury has him off his game a tad. I like this team!!!

ValleyGriz said:

I hate to say it, but UM needs to stop scheduling UDub. We get fucked like a common street whore every time we set foot in that building.

And FWIW, I hope the Zags beat Washington by 334.

Travis quote:,

"I think the conversation was more if we bring this type of energy every night, we'll be happier with where we're sitting over a period of time," DeCuire said. "We need to state it and we need to show that we can play to the level of competition every night. We need to bring this effort for 40 minutes."

Good synopsis by journal. Washington is going to do this defensively to most of the teams they play this year so there is that. They are huge. And two of those dudes are projected 1st round if not lottery NBA picks next summer.

Back