• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM Grizzlies @ #25 Washington Huskies

keena52 said:
grizzlyjournal said:
Without saying anything more about the foul situation, a few bullet points.
• Montana played solid defense against a much larger, fast opponent. This alone is going to help this team down the road.
• Loved how the Griz refused to be intimidated. So many times I've seen a Montana team play scared, nervous or tentative. At the game's start there was a bit of that, but this team didn't back down. That makes this game a valuable confidence builder for a very young team.
• Montana got valuable experience against an outstanding zone defense and an outstanding defensive team. You could just see how they were starting to get a vision of how their zone offense (the passes into the high post especially) was starting to open things up for them. Montana will probably not see a zone defense as good as Washington's for the rest of the season, so this was the perfect opportunity to work on stretching that zone.
• I particularly see this game as a confidence-builder for Eddy Egun (shot well, still tentative on offense), Kyle Owens (battled & moved well in tall timber) and especially Josh Vazquez. I think this was a breakout game for Josh, and a sign of his potential to score... both from the perimeter and on drives (though he passed off on a couple of drives instead of finishing with a shot attempt).
• Though he didn't shoot at a very good percentage, this was also a good outing for Kendal Manuel. He's starting to realize his ability to dribble penetrate into the key (especially in the 2nd half). As he gets more comfortable, I think his shots will start falling.
• I'm seeing game-by-game growth from Mac as well. His ability to patrol the upper key by hedging the middle on D has improved a ton. He moves well, runs the court well. I also think as he goes up against Power 5 bigs, it will help him down the road.
• Was also nice to see Sayeed generate some offense for himself. He's tough to defend one on one, and he paced the Griz in the 2nd half until he got his final two mystery fouls.
• Carter Hollinger had a quiet game, but I think he's going to be very valuable in the paint for Montana as the season progresses.
• Timmy looks like he's still getting into game shape after missing almost the enire preseason.
• Lastly, this is still a young team, but tonight I saw glimpses of the type of team they have the ability to become. I don't yet know if they'll realize that potential this season... but think they can get close. Go Griz.
Journal I think you are “dead nut” on everything, but Mac? I hope he can pick it up, but starting to wonder? Also, Timmy had his worst game against a big time program! That’s a first for him. Kid got confidence and skills. Timmy will be huge for us the next two years. You are right the injury has him off his game a tad. I like this team!!!

I was only able to listen to this game, while at work. I will be watching it from DVR later. With that said, I am leaning on the side of GJ here, regarding Anderson. Why is that?

(1) He is a hard worker, great attitude, and athletic.
(2) The coaches and his teammates really support him, and are committed to him. I can honestly, say, I've never heard a negative word by any of teammates, last year or this year. Normally, when you talk to players, they tell you like it is, with any of their teammates.
(3) It usually takes raw bigs 2+ years to develop and find their consistency. The better more talented bigs are playing at Power 5 schools. Mack will continue to progress. Quick developing bigs are the exception, rather than the rule in Div 1 ball.
(4) He has shown some positive glimpses against Power 5 schools. Granted, he needs to go from glimpses to consistency.
(5) Part of his inconsistency is mental. He needs to learn to build his confidence. Right now, his positives come from his athleticism. If he ever learns the ins and outs of college basketball, he is capable of being a very good Big Sky post player. Andrew Strait and Matthias Ward were the GRIZ post players that really understood what they could and couldn't do. They learned the game of basketball. Their success wasn't due to outstanding physical gifts, but sticking to their strengths. Physically and athletically, Anderson has more upside than either of those players. Strait put things together quickly. It took Ward a few years. IF I remember right, Ward started to play consistent toward the end of his 2nd season, then played consistently well from there on.

I honestly expect a similar pattern by Anderson. Fortunately for Anderson, he has a lot more scoring talent surrounding him. He doesn't have the pressure of becoming a big scorer. He just needs to focus on defense and rebounding, and take what he can get on offense. I am giving Anderson at least another year to give a fair evaluation. Will he reach his ceiling, or remain a floor level type of player?

Great post rule, skilled bigs don't grow on trees and don't tend to go to mid majors right out of high school. That leaves transfers or developing them like they are doing with Mack or they did with Fab, like it or not, it is what it is.

F the officials of this game. I finally got to watch the game with my DVR. Absolutely horrible officiating, especially the double tech call. McDaniels shoved the ball to Pridgett's chest, without being provoked. Yet, somehow the officials also T'd Pridgett.

As for rest of the game, the officiating took the game away from both teams. LOVE the intensity and the defense the GRIZ played. One again, shooting woes were the downfall for the GRIZ. Loved the UW students chanting, "Let them play".

Youth becomes experienced, and shooting will come around. Great effort from the GRIZ.

mtgrizrule said:
F the officials of this game. I finally got to watch the game with my DVR. Absolutely horrible officiating, especially the double tech call. McDaniels shoved the ball to Pridgett's chest, without being provoked. Yet, somehow the officials also T'd Pridgett.

As for rest of the game, the officiating took the game away from both teams. LOVE the intensity and the defense the GRIZ played. One again, shooting woes were the downfall for the GRIZ. Loved the UW students chanting, "Let them play".

Youth becomes experienced, and shooting will come around. Great effort from the GRIZ.

So, about as bad officiating as the Football crew?

Cuervohola said:
mtgrizrule said:

Worse. I wish there was some way to hold officiating more accountable. Every damn time the GRIZ play at a PAC 12 school, officiating tends to give the PAC 12 teams, even more of an advantage.

mtgrizrule said:
Cuervohola said:
mtgrizrule said:

Worse. I wish there was some way to hold officiating more accountable. Every damn time the GRIZ play at a PAC 12 school, officiating tends to give the PAC 12 teams, even more of an advantage.

Yeah, I remember JLM getting that TD called back. There was no way the officials were letting 14 points on the board for the Griz... I will always hate refs because they are patently blind and / or playing favorite at all levels.

There needs to be a group of 5 ordinary people assigned to each position group that press their buzzer if they see a penalty, then they hash it out. Get rid of all the on field zebras, there is no point in having them.

Back