• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM vs. EWU on ESPN2

EverettGriz said:
ilovethecats said:
Product on the field will trump everything.

Yes, that atrocity of a field is a complete clown car act show. I don't think even die-hard Eags fans could defend that thing. But you guys are on national tv. That's awesome. If the game shakes out like it should, and it's back and forth with an exciting finish, that's great exposure. If it's a blowout, that's ok exposure for the winning team.

Look at it this way. What's better; a barn-burning Griz win on that disgusting tampon, or a Griz loss in a ho-hum game in a packed Wash-griz?

Product on the field beats nice facilities 100 out of 100 times.

Yeah, I'm not sure I subscribe to the all exposure is good exposure theory.

As an example, if I pull up a restaurant on Yelp and browse through the photos, and I see a rat in half of them, I'm not likely to eat there no matter how many rave reviews there are about how good the food is.

The MWC has a lot of games on ESPN as well. My question is if you're a right tackle from Meridian, ID or a future political science major from Oxnard, CA and you see the facilities at ewoo, are you more likely or less likely to attend there or, say, Colorado State.
I agree with you, but sports are way different than food.

Look at NDSU. Fargo sucks and their ugly-ass dome is a shithole. But you rattle off a decades worth of championships and you'll start getting players you wouldn't have gotten prior.

Griz facilities are top-notch no question. I love going to games there. They're great to show off and play a part in you landing recruits. But winning games and championships will beat out facilities every time. So while I maintain everything about EWU is a clown car act show, they are somehow landing recruits good enough to put them in national contention. Not on the defensive side of the ball obviously.... :lol:

I guess my point was as ugly as that field is, and what a dump their stadium is, I don't see this being anything but great for the conference as a whole.

EverettGriz said:
ilovethecats said:
Product on the field will trump everything.

Yes, that atrocity of a field is a complete clown car act show. I don't think even die-hard Eags fans could defend that thing. But you guys are on national tv. That's awesome. If the game shakes out like it should, and it's back and forth with an exciting finish, that's great exposure. If it's a blowout, that's ok exposure for the winning team.

Look at it this way. What's better; a barn-burning Griz win on that disgusting tampon, or a Griz loss in a ho-hum game in a packed Wash-griz?

Product on the field beats nice facilities 100 out of 100 times.

As an example, if I pull up a restaurant on Yelp and browse through the photos, and I see a rat in half of them, I'm not likely to eat there no matter how many rave reviews there are about how good the food is.

The MWC has a lot of games on ESPN as well. My question is if you're a right tackle from Meridian, ID or a future political science major from Oxnard, CA and you see the facilities at ewoo, are you more likely or less likely to attend there or, say, Colorado State.
The MWC doesn't even have a TV contract with ESPN. Their deals are with FOX and CBS and their streaming service is Stadium.

RainierGriz said:
The.Real.2506 said:
Have the fizz ever won on the red turf?

Asking for a friend :thumb:

We have not.

And you all can thank AlphaGriz for that one. Remember when he buried a Griz token under the turf there? That turned out to be bad luck, the crazy bastage :lol:

ilovethecats said:
EverettGriz said:

Look at NDSU. Fargo sucks and their ugly-ass dome is a shithole. But you rattle off a decades worth of championships and you'll start getting players you wouldn't have gotten prior.

Griz facilities are top-notch no question. I love going to games there. They're great to show off and play a part in you landing recruits. But winning games and championships will beat out facilities every time. So while I maintain everything about EWU is a clown car act show, they are somehow landing recruits good enough to put them in national contention. Not on the defensive side of the ball obviously.... :lol:

I guess my point was as ugly as that field is, and what a dump their stadium is, I don't see this being anything but great for the conference as a whole.

Cats, have you been to Fargo? It’s a pretty nice town and you can’t compare the Dome to the Eastern Washington horrible field. I can’t accept it’s good PR to be associated with Eastern Washington on ESPN.

IdaGriz01 said:
Yukon said:
Decent time slot? It's 10:30pm eastern. Poor drunk bastards on the east coast will think the field is actual hell.
As my (long passed) Mom would say, "Quityerbitchin'." FWIW, unless the schedule changes, the Griz game will be on that channel right after the Power-5 matchup between Baylor and Oklahoma State. Yes, it will be opposite the Auburn-LSU game that starts at 7:00 pm MT on ESPN. Luckily, there's this thing called "Previous Channel" on most TV remotes ... I'll settle for the Griz being the "Previous Channel" choice. And if we have a good game and Auburn-LSU gets out of hand, they could be the main choice. This a huge opportunity and we need to embrace it.

And an OBTW: If the inferno offends your sensibilities that much, switch your view from color to shades-of-gray (yes, you can do that).
Shit, I would do that and then forget how to put it back.

Yukon said:
IdaGriz01 said:
As my (long passed) Mom would say, "Quityerbitchin'." FWIW, unless the schedule changes, the Griz game will be on that channel right after the Power-5 matchup between Baylor and Oklahoma State. Yes, it will be opposite the Auburn-LSU game that starts at 7:00 pm MT on ESPN. Luckily, there's this thing called "Previous Channel" on most TV remotes ... I'll settle for the Griz being the "Previous Channel" choice. And if we have a good game and Auburn-LSU gets out of hand, they could be the main choice. This a huge opportunity and we need to embrace it.

And an OBTW: If the inferno offends your sensibilities that much, switch your view from color to shades-of-gray (yes, you can do that).
Shit, I would do that and then forget how to put it back.

:lol: :lol: :clap:

Spanky2 said:
ilovethecats said:

Cats, have you been to Fargo? It’s a pretty nice town and you can’t compare the Dome to the Eastern Washington horrible field. I can’t accept it’s good PR to be associated with Eastern Washington on ESPN.
I have been to Fargo a bunch. Brother and sister currently live there. Like almost all places, I've found a few areas of that town that are ok. Couple nice golf courses. But overall I think it is lousy.

I wasn't comparing the dome to EWU's crap directly. Just comparing the fact that they are both dumpy. That old ugly outdated place is even worse in person than it shows on tv. And it looks terrible on tv. So in that regard, they are both the same to me. Both crappy places to play football in crappy towns I could never live in.

It's not like people watch NDSU on tv and are so wowed by the dome that they decide they want to play there. Same with EWU. But I know players are wowed by how much NDSU wins, thus they keep getting great players and remain nationally relevant.

ilovethecats said:
Spanky2 said:
I have been to Fargo a bunch. Brother and sister currently live there. Like almost all places, I've found a few areas of that town that are ok. Couple nice golf courses. But overall I think it is lousy.

I wasn't comparing the dome to EWU's crap directly. Just comparing the fact that they are both dumpy. That old ugly outdated place is even worse in person than it shows on tv. And it looks terrible on tv. So in that regard, they are both the same to me. Both crappy places to play football in crappy towns I could never live in.

It's not like people watch NDSU on tv and are so wowed by the dome that they decide they want to play there. Same with EWU. But I know players are wowed by how much NDSU wins, thus they keep getting great players and remain nationally relevant.
I’ve only been to Fargo a couple of times on business and had a favorable impression. Haven’t been to the Dome.
My view regarding Eastern Washington is it isn’t a school which is positive to be affiliated in an athletic conference.

Spanky2 said:
My view regarding Eastern Washington is it isn’t a school which is positive to be affiliated in an athletic conference.
Agree with this completely. The town and stadium are a complete clown car act show. I just don't think it's bad exposure for you guys playing them on ESPN2, regardless of the horrendous field, stadium and fans.

ilovethecats said:
Spanky2 said:
Agree with this completely. The town and stadium are a complete clown car act show. I just don't think it's bad exposure for you guys playing them on ESPN2, regardless of the horrendous field, stadium and fans.

We're like 10 or more months in on this, and I'll never not laugh.

CDAGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:

We're like 10 or more months in on this, and I'll never not laugh.

Me too. EG has used it flawlessly as of late.

ilovethecats said:
Spanky2 said:

Both of our schools may soon be presented with the opportunity of joining a good athletic conference. I just think it is wise not to billboard our current conference affiliation. In this instance, it will be unavoidable.

Spanky2 said:
ilovethecats said:

Both of our schools may soon be presented with the opportunity of joining a good athletic conference. I just think it is wise not to billboard our current conference affiliation. In this instance, it will be unavoidable.
Why? It's good for the Griz to be on ESPN2. Who cares if it's a bad look for the conference, it's good exposure for us. I'm kind of tired of all the pissing and moaning about this. For once the Big Sky does something good and gets an awesome TV deal with ESPN and all you guys are diminishing it because of the game and location that ESPN chose. People refuse to give the Big Sky any credit when they do something good. And now all of a sudden there's all kinds of posters who want to move up to the FBS because the FCS is a joke even though our conference is getting a lot more national exposure then we did even 2 years ago, as opposed to playing in the stupid Quick Lane Bowl. Just be grateful for once that something good is gonna happen for the Griz!

Griz til I die said:
Spanky2 said:
Why? It's good for the Griz to be on ESPN2. Who cares if it's a bad look for the conference, it's good exposure for us. I'm kind of tired of all the pissing and moaning about this. For once the Big Sky does something good and gets an awesome TV deal with ESPN and all you guys are diminishing it because of the game and location that ESPN chose. People refuse to give the Big Sky any credit when they do something good. And now all of a sudden there's all kinds of posters who want to move up to the FBS because the FCS is a joke even though our conference is getting a lot more national exposure then we did even 2 years ago, as opposed to playing in the stupid Quick Lane Bowl. Just be grateful for once that something good is gonna happen for the Griz!

Absolutely spot on, 100%

Griz til I die said:
Spanky2 said:

I have commended the bsc for the espn deal. I also factually stated it was 8 years too late, and unarguably 4 years too late when they re-upped with pluto for a second contract.

Look, ultimately this is likely a good deal for all involved. But that doesn't mean we can't point out the obvious deficiencies. I've watched games (far too many of both) at that abomination both in person and on television. And I'm telling you, if I didn't have a hard, hard rooting interest, I'd turn the channel or walk out 5 minutes in, because that's about as much as my eyes (and good sense) can take. If that happens to the casual observer, it may be a net-negative.

EverettGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

I have commended the bsc for the espn deal. I also factually stated it was 8 years too late, and unarguably 4 years too late when they re-upped with pluto for a second contract.

Look, ultimately this is likely a good deal for all involved. But that doesn't mean we can't point out the obvious deficiencies. I've watched games (far too many of both) at that abomination both in person and on television. And I'm telling you, if I didn't have a hard, hard rooting interest, I'd turn the channel or walk out 5 minutes in, because that's about as much as my eyes (and good sense) can take. If that happens to the casual observer, it may be a net-negative.
Look I don't disagree with you. Let's put it this way, do you think ESPN would've televised a game at Eastern if the opponent wasn't the Griz? That's why they're doing this because it just so happens that's where the game is this year. On next years schedule, I bet you they take the Griz vs. Idaho game in Missoula on October 12. We do play Eastern next year in Missoula the week before cat-Griz. Would they be willing to pick that game too? Possibly. Just a tough draw having the Eastern game in Cheney this year.

EverettGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

Really? Such a tough life we all have to lead watching our favorite college football team play one 3 hour game every other year on a red field instead of a green one! Personally for me...green artificial turf compared to dulling fall natural grass is pretty tough on the eyes too! And watched Boise a bit the other night too.....whew!!

i groan whenever i find out the game i want to watch is on that unsightly field. i guess it appeals to some, but not me.

Mousegriz said:
EverettGriz said:

Really? Such a tough life we all have to lead watching our favorite college football team play one 3 hour game every other year on a red field instead of a green one! Personally for me...green artificial turf compared to dulling fall natural grass is pretty tough on the eyes too! And watched Boise a bit the other night too.....whew!!

Isn't that pretty much what he's saying, though? We will all watch, no doubt. But, a lot of people won't. Maybe because of the field, maybe because of the awful environment, maybe for other reasons. Without putting words in his mouth, I believe what EG was saying is that that TV eyes on the Griz will be fewer than if ESPN2 televised a game at WaGriz instead of Woodward Field.

Back