• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM vs. EWU on ESPN2

Mousegriz said:
EverettGriz said:
I have commended the bsc for the espn deal. I also factually stated it was 8 years too late, and unarguably 4 years too late when they re-upped with pluto for a second contract.

Look, ultimately this is likely a good deal for all involved. But that doesn't mean we can't point out the obvious deficiencies. I've watched games (far too many of both) at that abomination both in person and on television. And I'm telling you, if I didn't have a hard, hard rooting interest, I'd turn the channel or walk out 5 minutes in, because that's about as much as my eyes (and good sense) can take. If that happens to the casual observer, it may be a net-negative.

Really? Such a tough life we all have to lead watching our favorite college football team play one 3 hour game every other year on a red field instead of a green one! Personally for me...green artificial turf compared to dulling fall natural grass is pretty tough on the eyes too! And watched Boise a bit the other night too.....whew!!

To each is own, I guess.

CDAGRIZ said:
Mousegriz said:
Really? Such a tough life we all have to lead watching our favorite college football team play one 3 hour game every other year on a red field instead of a green one! Personally for me...green artificial turf compared to dulling fall natural grass is pretty tough on the eyes too! And watched Boise a bit the other night too.....whew!!

Isn't that pretty much what he's saying, though? We will all watch, no doubt. But, a lot of people won't. Maybe because of the field, maybe because of the awful environment, maybe for other reasons. Without putting words in his mouth, I believe what EG was saying is that that TV eyes on the Griz will be fewer than if ESPN2 televised a game at WaGriz instead of Woodward Field.
Well said.

CDAGRIZ said:
Isn't that pretty much what he's saying, though? We will all watch, no doubt. But, a lot of people won't. Maybe because of the field, maybe because of the awful environment, maybe for other reasons. Without putting words in his mouth, I believe what EG was saying is that that TV eyes on the Griz will be fewer than if ESPN2 televised a game at WaGriz instead of Woodward Field.
First, let me say ... this is a GOOD thing for the Griz, the Big Sky, and FCS football in general. Except for the special deals for HBCU, how often do FCS-only games show up on national networks? We have DirecTV and search the whole guide. The last one I could find was Hampton at Howard, shown on NBSSN on Saturday September 18. (That's another HBCU arrangement, as far as I can tell.) You simply don't (or hardly ever) find them, except for the FCS championship, and perhaps the semi-finals. (According to the latest I read, none of the earlier rounds will be "broadcast" in the future, they'll only be available by streaming.)

That being said, I have to agree that fewer TV eyes are likely to stick around at the Eagle-Griz game in Cheney ... unless ESPN devises a way (spends the money) to attract more viewers. As I noted on another post, the start of the Griz game will be competing with the Auburn-LSU game on ESPN. I have no idea how ESPN could keep them watching the Griz game, but the annoyance of the odd field and lack of a respectable facility will certainly make their job more difficult. And yes, I too believe their job would be easier if the game were in Missoula/WaGriz.

One final thought that just hit me: Is Joe Albi Stadium in Spokane still usable? ESPN probably can't force a relocation of the game to Missoula, but a move to Spokane or Pullman seems not out of the question. (As it happens, Washington State in on the road that weekend.)

IdaGriz01 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
First, let me say ... this is a GOOD thing for the Griz, the Big Sky, and FCS football in general. Except for the special deals for HBCU, how often do FCS-only games show up on national networks? We have DirecTV and search the whole guide. The last one I could find was Hampton at Howard, shown on NBSSN on Saturday September 18. (That's another HBCU arrangement, as far as I can tell.) You simply don't (or hardly ever) find them, except for the FCS championship, and perhaps the semi-finals. (According to the latest I read, none of the earlier rounds will be "broadcast" in the future, they'll only be available by streaming.)

That being said, I have to agree that fewer TV eyes are likely to stick around at the Eagle-Griz game in Cheney ... unless ESPN devises a way (spends the money) to attract more viewers. As I noted on another post, the start of the Griz game will be competing with the Auburn-LSU game on ESPN. I have no idea how ESPN could keep them watching the Griz game, but the annoyance of the odd field and lack of a respectable facility will certainly make their job more difficult. And yes, I too believe their job would be easier if the game were in Missoula/WaGriz.

One final thought that just hit me: Is Joe Albi Stadium in Spokane still usable? ESPN probably can't force a relocation of the game to Missoula, but a move to Spokane or Pullman seems not out of the question. (As it happens, Washington State in on the road that weekend.)
I feel like for people who don’t watch games on the red field as often as we do might find it a little bit interesting. Think about it, how many casual college football fans have ever heard of Eastern Washington or seen a red football field? I feel like if it were my first time, it might be kind of fascinating to watch a game on a red field for a little bit. Not saying they would tune in the entire game, but it may spike curiosity for a little bit.

ESPN chose to broadcast this game, at E Washington, on ESPN2 because they were already scheduled to broadcast it on ESPNU.

Last week they didn't just decide "Why don't we broadcast one on that ugly ass field instead of one in Missoula". They chose that game months ago based on the promising Griz / Eagle match up. Same game to show. They just upgraded the channel they'll broadcast it on.

One of these days ESPN will come back to Missoula. Who knows it may even be a playoff game this year.

During and after the game, ESPN will field many negative comments about the red field and Eastern Washington.

Guess what….High school recruits love the red turf, it gives EWU recognition. No one really cares what a bunch of adults think about the field, recruits and current players love it…and in reality, that’s all that matters.

marceagfan5 said:
Guess what….High school recruits love the red turf, it gives EWU recognition. No one really cares what a bunch of adults think about the field, recruits and current players love it…and in reality, that’s all that matters.

Yeah ... guess what ... that’s exactly what convinced McGourin where to play ball, and EWU could really use some players like him on defense ... my bet is, all that matters, is whether EWU fields enough defense.

I lived in Spokane for 12 years and would really like to go over for the game, but EWU fans are abominable hosts. Going to a game in Cheney is a putrid experience, much worse than Blowsman. I’m happy for the ESPN upgrade and won’t have any second thoughts about deciding to stay far away from that shit-hole.

goatcreekgriz said:
marceagfan5 said:

Yeah ... guess what ... that’s exactly what convinced McGourin where to play ball, and EWU could really use some players like him on defense ... my bet is, all that matters, is whether EWU fields enough defense.

I lived in Spokane for 12 years and would really like to go over for the game, but EWU fans are abominable hosts. Going to a game in Cheney is a putrid experience, much worse than Blowsman. I’m happy for the ESPN upgrade and won’t have any second thoughts about deciding to stay far away from that shit-hole.

Have you been in the past decade? Just curious…

You bet I have. I also went to Albi to cheer for EWU in the 1997 playoffs against Youngstown State. Did you make that game?

I think there were more Montana fans cheering for EWU against Youngstown than there were EWU fans. That will never happen again.

goatcreekgriz said:
You bet I have. I also went to Albi to cheer for EWU in the 1997 playoffs against Youngstown State. Did you make that game?

I think there were more Montana fans cheering for EWU against Youngstown than there were EWU fans. That will never happen again.
So ... maybe you and marceag will answer the questions I asked/implied earlier: (1) Is Albi still usable for a football game? (2) Do you think there's a chance that ESPN might "request" ($$$ talks) a change of venue to Spokane or Pullman?

IdaGriz01 said:
goatcreekgriz said:

So ... maybe you and marceag will answer the questions I asked/implied earlier: (1) Is Albi still usable for a football game? (2) Do you think there's a chance that ESPN might "request" ($$$ talks) a change of venue to Spokane or Pullman?
(1) I believe Albi has been razed, no longer a FB venue; and (2) No.

Beat these punk ass bitchs. I hate everything about this program. Go Griz hate the Tampon turf.

IdaGriz01 said:
goatcreekgriz said:

1) no

2) 0% chance

Spokane is building a new downtown stadium that will be the home of the new pro soccer team, but EWU will not use it.

People think that EWU will make FCS football look bad because of facilities, but tbh, there facilities are better than most in FCS. I suggest if so many have an issue, write ESPN and ask them not to televise that game.

marceagfan5 said:
All that matters, really? Are they the ones that send donations into the AD for support and facility upgrades? Methinks the "bunch of adults" matter.

Griz’til seems closest—of course us biased fans know WaGriz is better but we have to look at it from Disney’s perspective. Nobody cares about FCS but the novelty of the used maxi-pad piques interests. That may get them to tune in, but it’s only half the equation; the drama will keep them intrigued.

And the drama is guaranteed to be higher @ EWE. Guaranteed. I’ve been to a ton of these games up there and it is horrifically hard to win there. Can’t explain why. They will be all gaaked up. This game will be huge. And tight. That’s usually not the case for non-playoff games in WaGriz. Disney is not going to risk putting on a possible FCS regular season blowout in WaGriz. There’s no novelty or guarantee of drama. Who’s going to watch that? But on this field, with these teams, chances are, drama will be high.

kemajic said:
marceagfan5 said:
All that matters, really? Are they the ones that send donations into the AD for support and facility upgrades? Methinks the "bunch of adults" matter.

11 years with the red turf, 5 National semis, 2 National championship games and 1 championship. Sam Houston has had a similar run over the past decade and their stadium is probably worse that EWUs. Pretty apparent that the “facility” doesn’t matter much to most of the top FCS athletes. Most FCS programs don’t have a Washington Family to pump money into the program but they are still making it work with the product in the field

Once viewers see that EWU "defense" for the first two minutes, they won't even remember the ugliness of that horrendous red field.

Back