• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vigen addresses Zac Crews' 'horrible mistake,' walk-on opportunity

rgrizfan said:
uptopgriz said:
Imagine BH talking openly about Crews instead of trying to sneak him into UM.

Wasn't Crews in Bozeman for a year before Vigen addressed the situation?
I think he was a part time student for one semester with no ties to the football program. He is now addressing it because the kid is a walk on now.
The crap storm generated by the former players on the griz are what tied Hauck's hands here.

PDXGrizzly said:
I think the difference is the proximity. The decision to not let Crews on the team happened BEFORE crews spent the last year in purgatory. He had to show himself to be both contrite and willing to put in the effort to play. Given the circumstances of the issue, there was no way he could have done that at Montana. It would have heaped too much excess controversy onto the program.

Im happy that Crews gets a chance to play again, even if it’s for the Cats. He’s done his time and has done the things that he needed to to be able to have this opportunity. A second chance doesn’t always come with things like this.

Spot on.

indian-outlaw said:
rgrizfan said:
Wasn't Crews in Bozeman for a year before Vigen addressed the situation?
I think he was a part time student for one semester with no ties to the football program. He is now addressing it because the kid is a walk on now.
The crap storm generated by the former players on the griz are what tied Hauck's hands here.

Correct, but Vigen and the administration addressed the situation once Crews asked to join the team - and the team addressed it as well. Just not for public consumption. Did Vigen handle it better than Bobby? Absolutely, but his circumstances were different too. Put differently so the trolls can follow, had Crews committed to MSU first, the same thing would have happened - he'd have ended up at UM and Bobby would look good. The only difference is that the trolls over here would still be bashing Vigen and all things MSU, thinking only of themselves and not what matters - Crews gets a chance to atone, attend college, and play the game he loves.

Bear Spray said:
indian-outlaw said:

Correct, but Vigen and the administration addressed the situation once Crews asked to join the team - and the team addressed it as well. Just not for public consumption. Did Vigen handle it better than Bobby? Absolutely, but his circumstances were different too. Put differently so the trolls can follow, had Crews committed to MSU first, the same thing would have happened - he'd have ended up at UM and Bobby would look good. The only difference is that the trolls over here would still be bashing Vigen and all things MSU, thinking only of themselves and not what matters - Crews gets a chance to atone, attend college, and play the game he loves.

Then, it's kind of dubious to say Sixx "absolutely handled it better."
Also, I heard Sixx orders tilapia at steakhouses. Not sure if true.

grizghost said:
....sounds like Vigen did that right thing....most black players that I played with
in the past would have accepted the apology and moved on...sounds like that
is what's happening...not surprised!.....like I said before the team/coaches could
have used this as a learning tool ...what does it prove to just axe a kid for a stupid
mistake.....never let a good crises go to waste....someone said!

Crews will be a better player and person...Cats will be a better team.

...the Griz lost on this one!...sorry to say!

Not really. The first portion of public outcry is always way stronger. And even more so with the state of racial tension the country was in when Crews made the comments. Montana had to do what they did. It was really a no brainer. And they still received a ton of scrutiny for doing the right thing.

Whatever team came in behind Montana and gave this kid a chance was always going to be in a much better position and have much less public outcry. Not sure how people don’t realize this.

CDAGRIZ said:
Bear Spray said:

But the menu described it as "Humanely farm-raised tilapia. Flown in fresh weekly from our farm in Jasper, Arkansas".

Sixx is all about two things: Quality and the humane treatment of his food.

mthoopsfan said:
Bok_Choi said:
That Cruzado and Costello, or as I like to call them Abbott and Costello, are open-minded and provided him plausible deniability is critical. Am also glad the article mentions the importance of the drunk driving coach as a yardstick on whether or not to make the decision. Everything you need to know about the program. Just win baby.

I once heard the Cat basketball coach, from a number of years ago, say that every time he ran into Cruzado on campus, she would come shake his hand and say, "Just win."

When athletics is the front porch of the university, winning is the only thing acceptable. Unfortunately, that doesn't always come with ethics.

EverettGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

But the menu described it as "Humanely farm-raised tilapia. Flown in fresh weekly from our farm in Jasper, Arkansas".

Sixx is all about two things: Quality and the humane treatment of his food.

Correct. I heard he has walked out of restaurants because they didn't have biographies of the chickens they planned to use to make his favorite dish: unseasoned boiled chicken breast with Miracle Whip.

Bok_Choi said:
mthoopsfan said:
I once heard the Cat basketball coach, from a number of years ago, say that every time he ran into Cruzado on campus, she would come shake his hand and say, "Just win."

When athletics is the front porch of the university, winning is the only thing acceptable. Unfortunately, that doesn't always come with ethics.

How about when you're not winning and you have questionable academics?

uptopgriz said:
Bok_Choi said:

How about when you're not winning and you have questionable academics?

MSU should have decades of data, and maybe some research, on the not winning part.

Butte5518 said:
Bok_Choi said:
Everything you need to know about the program. Just win baby.

Naaaaaa - this is what can happen when you allow the TEAM to act like a TEAM instead of allowing The Kaimen to dictate policy!!! :thumb:

Kaimin. but, nowadays, its Kaiperson or some other f*cking pronoun.
I'm actually surprised that rabble haven't tried to change the name officially. :roll:

3-7-77 said:
Butte5518 said:
Naaaaaa - this is what can happen when you allow the TEAM to act like a TEAM instead of allowing The Kaimen to dictate policy!!! :thumb:

I'm actually surprised that rabble haven't tried to change the name officially. :roll:

The name "Kaimin" is derived from the Salish Indian word "Q̓ey̓min" and means "something written" or a "message".

BadlandsGrizFan said:
grizghost said:
....sounds like Vigen did that right thing....most black players that I played with
in the past would have accepted the apology and moved on...sounds like that
is what's happening...not surprised!.....like I said before the team/coaches could
have used this as a learning tool ...what does it prove to just axe a kid for a stupid
mistake.....never let a good crises go to waste....someone said!

Crews will be a better player and person...Cats will be a better team.

...the Griz lost on this one!...sorry to say!

Not really. The first portion of public outcry is always way stronger. And even more so with the state of racial tension the country was in when Crews made the comments. Montana had to do what they did. It was really a no brainer. And they still received a ton of scrutiny for doing the right thing.

Whatever team came in behind Montana and gave this kid a chance was always going to be in a much better position and have much less public outcry. Not sure how people don’t realize this.

what this dude said. plus, given bobby's connection to (warranted or unwarranted) some less than ideal citizens on his teams in the past, i think it was his only real option. not saying it couldn't have been handled differently, but ultimately, i think this was the only option for bobby.

mtgriz said:
3-7-77 said:

The name "Kaimin" is derived from the Salish Indian word "Q̓ey̓min" and means "something written" or a "message".

Sounds like the Yiddish pronunciation of "Hymen" and means "something blocking" or "partial plug"

griznative24 said:
Said it once and I'll say it again: Kid seems like a douche, I wish him luck
Glad you had enough common sense(barely) to use "seems" like a douche, as you should, because you don't know him. I'll chime in, from what i know of him, the kid "seems" like a good kid that made an adolescent dumb mistake

griznative24 said:
Said it once and I'll say it again: Kid seems like a douche, I wish him luck

I doubt he is any more of a douche than you, but of course, since I don't know you, maybe I am giving you too much benefit of the doubt.

Back