• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What Came 1st, The Snap, or the Timeout?

CatzWillRise said:
Sounds like no one here has reffed the game.

Of course, otherwise we wouldn't be commenting on this. Seriously, how much worse could some fans do than some Big Sky officiating crews? The officiating in this conference, and much of college football and basketball is questionable, at best.

mtgrizrule said:
CatzWillRise said:
Sounds like no one here has reffed the game.

Of course, otherwise we wouldn't be commenting this. Seriously, how much worse could some fans do than some Big Sky officiating crews? The officiating in this conference, and much of college football and basketball is questionable, at best.

You wont get any argument from me on the shitty quality of BSC refs.
Just keep in mind that they are not biased, just bad refs

I think it’s logical to say it’s when the TO was called not when the whistle is blown. Take the timeouts before delay of game. There are usually flags littering the field when they grant a TO. I agree that some of the officiating has been atrocious, but I would hope a referee can tell if a TO was yelled at him before a play was snapped.

My question is why was it legal for Choate to be all the way down standing behind the line judge two plays in a row? I thought they had to stay in the "box" on the sidelines?

grzz said:
My question is why was it legal for Choate to be all the way down standing behind the line judge two plays in a row? I thought they had to stay in the "box" on the sidelines?

The answer is: It doesn't matter. We were unable to get a few inches when it mattered most. End game.

grzz said:

I noticed that in the first half as well, he was all the down in the goal line for the 3 plays at the end of the half as well. And just stayed down there when the plays were going on and then would call time out while he was practically standing in the end zone.

CDAGRIZ said:
grzz said:

The answer is: It doesn't matter. We were unable to get a few inches when it mattered most. End game.

Thanks, I had somehow missed that living under a fucking rock the last 48 hours.

There are many reasons they lost the game, I'm just asking a question and if you don't have an answer to it, maybe just don't respond?

grzz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
grzz said:

Thanks, I had somehow missed that living under a fucking rock the last 48 hours.

There are many reasons they lost the game, I'm just asking a question and if you don't have an answer to it, maybe just don't respond?

No. I'm not aware of a coaches box in CFB. If there is one, I don't think Choach was out of it when he called a timeout before the play, which we ran again right after. Better?

CDAGRIZ said:
grzz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
grzz said:

Thanks, I had somehow missed that living under a f***[*] rock the last 48 hours.

No. I'm not aware of a coaches box in CFB. If there is one, I don't think Choach was out of it when he called a timeout before the play, which we ran again right after. Better?

It was dumb that we ran the same play twice, but I think there is a coaches box as if you look on the sidelines, there is a box from the 30 yard line to the other 30 yard line.

helenagrizfan#1 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
grzz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Thanks, I had somehow missed that living under a f***[*] rock the last 48 hours.

It was dumb that we ran the same play twice, but I think there is a coaches box as if you look on the sidelines, there is a box from the 30 yard line to the other 30 yard line.

Thanks! I honestly didn't know that.

bandit218 said:
I think it’s logical to say it’s when the TO was called not when the whistle is blown. Take the timeouts before delay of game. There are usually flags littering the field when they grant a TO. I agree that some of the officiating has been atrocious, but I would hope a referee can tell if a TO was yelled at him before a play was snapped.

This 100%. What alot of you fail to realize is it's when the coach calls timeout. Not when the whistle gets blown. Watch a ref call a timeout on the line. He will start running out as he's putting his whistle in his mouth. As long as the coach calls the timeout prior to the ball being snapped is all that matters.

How about this one. There was a penalty for the griz having 12 men on the field. Flags flew. But.....timeout was called at the same time as what you're arguing about. So you were helped by your coaches doing the exact same thing.

grzz said:

The Rule. Looks like a coach is not to be way of the team area or coaching box and call a TO.

"A head coach who is in, or in the vicinity of, his team area or coaching box may request a timeout between the time the ball is declared dead and the next snap.

Where was Choate?

Allezchat said:
bandit218 said:

This 100%. What alot of you fail to realize is it's when the coach calls timeout. Not when the whistle gets blown. Watch a ref call a timeout on the line. He will start running out as he's putting his whistle in his mouth. As long as the coach calls the timeout prior to the ball being snapped is all that matters.

How about this one. There was a penalty for the griz having 12 men on the field. Flags flew. But.....timeout was called at the same time as what you're arguing about. So you were helped by your coaches doing the exact same thing.

1. Where is the rule that says when a TO is called? Meaning where is the support for your above statement?

2. It is specifically in the rules that a coach/team can call a TO to say an illegal substitution penalty. In the situation you mentioned, the ball was not close to being snapped.

grzz said:

Can be outside the box with referee permission.

PlayerRep said:
Allezchat said:
bandit218 said:

1. Where is the rule that says when a TO is called? Meaning where is the support for your above statement?

2. It is specifically in the rules that a coach/team can call a TO to say an illegal substitution penalty. In the situation you mentioned, the ball was not close to being snapped.

A team has 3 seconds for the extra player(s) to leave the field after the huddle or lining up.

Back