• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What do you consider Eastern Montana

What do you consider Eastern Montana

• Everything east of the divide.

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Everything east of the Rocky Mountain Front.

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • Everything east of Bozeman.

Votes: 27 26.7%
  • Everything east of 11 miles west of Lewiston, the geographical center of Montana.

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Everything east of Billings.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Everything east of Miles City.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Everything east of Glendive.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Everything east of Wibaux.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There is no eastern Montana, it’s actually western North Dakota.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Bobcats suck.

Votes: 66 65.3%
  • Western North Dakota sucks.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • All of North Dakota sucks.

Votes: 47 46.5%

• Total voters
AZGrizFan said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
We have had a lot of discussion on this post from Rodeo Cowboys in Billings, ala Spanky, to the ruggedness of the Bob , to the fact that both Argh! and Spanky agree eastern Montana is everything east of Lewiston, to the toughest towns in Montana, to Billings being a sh*thole, to Billings being in eastern Montana no wait make that central Montana and the list goes on.
Congratulations to all participants for keeping the discussion cordial and appropriate and nobody got challenge to meet at the Montana Club.
My original post was to take exception to AZGriz calling Billings a sh*thole. I obviously disagree with him but I understand his feeling and respect his right to that opinion. It is my opinion the true sh*thole is California's Northern Colony, Bozangeles aka Bozeman. I opine that is is so manufactured, plastic and resembles a Hollywood movie set.
It seems Argh! and Spanky agree that everything east of Lewiston is eastern Montana making virtually the whole state eastern Montana. I disagree because there is a western, central and eastern Montana and maintain Billings is in central Montana.
My reasoning for that is largely based on geography. Billings is in close proximity to 5 mountain ranges, Pryor, Crazy, Beartooth, Absaroka and Bull. Although the classification of Bull Mountains as being true mountains can be debated.
Billings is located on the banks of the Yellowstone River, the longest free flowing river in the lower 48 states. The Yellowstone and Billings location is the basis for my opinion of Billings being in central Montana. All of the major tributaries to the Yellowstone upsteam from Billings flow from the nearby mountains, the Beartooth, Absaroka, Crazy, and Bridger Mountains. The Yellowstone maintains its nature of being a cold water stream until it passes Billings and begins its north eastern direction. Shortly after Billings it changes to more of a warm water meandering stream typical of those in eastern Montana unlike the cold free flowing river at Billings. Even the native fish population changes beginning a bit downstream from Billings.
Based on the above it seems Billings has more in common with the central part of Montana than the eastern part. Yes Spanky Billings does host a rodeo every now and then and there is a cowboy presence. A lot of that is due to the fact that Billings does have the largest multipurpose arena in the state, The Yellowstone METRA. In case you didn't know, METRA is an acronym for Montana's Entertainment Trade and Recreation Arena. Aside from an occasional rodeo Billings is considered a metropolitan community in political circles die to the diversity of the economy and population.
Is it a sh*thole as AZGriz has proclaimed? That is entirely a matter of opinion. Is it a violent and crime ridden? Billings does have its issues and my original post pointed some of that out. Come on Bozanageles, put on your big boy pants and take care of your own social issues. As a matter of economics, Billings is the largest community between Minneapolis ( I know Fargo exists but so do the bison) and Spokane and the largest community in Wyoming and Montana north of Denver. I have read that the market area is considered to be over one million people because of its location.
What is the toughest community in Montana? Again the is up for debate but could include Hardin, Poplar, Deer Lodge, Heart Butte, Browning etc. Certain parts of Billings can hold its own in that category.
So I have given my opinions and tried to substantiate them, I know there will be those that disagree and I respect that. Again, I would like to congratulate everyone for the dialogue and cordial nature contained within.

I based my entire opinion on flying into Billings once. :D :D

Ohhhhh Kay. It's good to know how substantial your opinion is.. I've not had the good fortune to explore The Bob but it was on my bucket list until age and disability took its place.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Ohhhhh Kay. It's good to know how substantial your opinion is.. I've not had the good fortune to explore The Bob but it was on my bucket list until age and disability took its place.

I’m kidding….slightly. I’ve had several close relatives that have resided in various parts of Billings….I base most of my “opinion” on their experiences there….I’ve personally spent very little time there….but as I made pretty clear, after spending a portion of my youth traipsing around Eastern Montana, Wyoming, ND and Colorado looking for oil, I try to spend very little time anywhere east of the Divide when I’m fortunate enough to be back in the great state of Montana…. :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

I’m kidding….slightly. I’ve had several close relatives that have resided in various parts of Billings….I base most of my “opinion” on their experiences there….I’ve personally spent very little time there….but as I made pretty clear, after spending a portion of my youth traipsing around Eastern Montana, Wyoming, ND and Colorado looking for oil, I try to spend very little time anywhere east of the Divide when I’m fortunate enough to be back in the great state of Montana…. :thumb:

Good to know. I too serviced the oil fields of Eastern Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming, Alberta and Saskatchewan but long after the crude was found, drilled and pumped.
I spend some time west of the Divide but there are parts that make me feel closed in, ie west of Alberton.
The diversity of the land around Billings is a major factor in my staying here. I like the Big Daddy Beartooth Mountains but an occasional venture to the plains is refreshing.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Good to know. I too serviced the oil fields of Eastern Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming, Alberta and Saskatchewan but long after the crude was found, drilled and pumped.
I spend some time west of the Divide but there are parts that make me feel closed in, ie west of Alberton.
The diversity of the land around Billings is a major factor in my staying here. I like the Big Daddy Beartooth Mountains but an occasional venture to the plains is refreshing.

Definitely a “to each his own” thing. I absolutely LOVE the area from about Alberton all the way to Lookout Pass…..some of the most gorgeous, rugged country on the planet. And not many people. Another selling point.

MTCowpoke said:
3-7-77 said:
13 hr to Missoula? From WHERE??? There ain't that much of Montana left. Westby to Missoula (via Billings) is a little over 700 miles, Wibaux to Missoula is under 600 miles, Alzada to Missoula is well under 600 miles. Cheyenne to Missoula is under 800 miles( thats 10 hrs of driving, dude).Interstate speed is 80 mph, secondary road speed is 70 mph. You may need a new car, as that Nash Rambler just ain't up to the trip. :lol: 13 hrs. :roll:

Westby, Plentywood, etc takes roughly 13 hours when you are on a yellow school bus packed full of kids and having to stop every couple of hours to let them all pee.

UGH! That explains it. I feel for ya! You've had a taste of hell, so heaven awaits you in the end. :thumb:

I remember the Spencer family of Malta, Lance's parents, saying they went to all of Lance's games, or at least later in his career. I saw them in Pocatello once. They said they had driven from Malta to Plentywood to see a Friday night high school game, and then drove all night to Pocatello. Got there early enough to sleep a couple hours in the car before breakfast and game time at Ida. St.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
AZGrizFan said:

I have lived all over the state with exception if the Hi Line. I now live in Missoula but I think Billings gets a bad rap. You are an hour to Red Lodge and/or Abasrokee and both of those areas are amazing. Billings itself has pretty good dining options and the Montana Avenue area continues to add cool spots. The transformation from the seedy Montana Avenue of the 80's and 90's to all it has to offer today is pretty amazing. One of the best weekends in the state is the Magic City Bluefest in August. And Rocky football games are fun (they aren't Griz games ) but really fun. Dehler park with the Rims in the background is a great place to watch a game. It is a good town.

6gjkf1.jpg

AZGrizFan said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
We have had a lot of discussion on this post from Rodeo Cowboys in Billings, ala Spanky, to the ruggedness of the Bob , to the fact that both Argh! and Spanky agree eastern Montana is everything east of Lewiston, to the toughest towns in Montana, to Billings being a sh*thole, to Billings being in eastern Montana no wait make that central Montana and the list goes on.
Congratulations to all participants for keeping the discussion cordial and appropriate and nobody got challenge to meet at the Montana Club.
My original post was to take exception to AZGriz calling Billings a sh*thole. I obviously disagree with him but I understand his feeling and respect his right to that opinion. It is my opinion the true sh*thole is California's Northern Colony, Bozangeles aka Bozeman. I opine that is is so manufactured, plastic and resembles a Hollywood movie set.
It seems Argh! and Spanky agree that everything east of Lewiston is eastern Montana making virtually the whole state eastern Montana. I disagree because there is a western, central and eastern Montana and maintain Billings is in central Montana.
My reasoning for that is largely based on geography. Billings is in close proximity to 5 mountain ranges, Pryor, Crazy, Beartooth, Absaroka and Bull. Although the classification of Bull Mountains as being true mountains can be debated.
Billings is located on the banks of the Yellowstone River, the longest free flowing river in the lower 48 states. The Yellowstone and Billings location is the basis for my opinion of Billings being in central Montana. All of the major tributaries to the Yellowstone upsteam from Billings flow from the nearby mountains, the Beartooth, Absaroka, Crazy, and Bridger Mountains. The Yellowstone maintains its nature of being a cold water stream until it passes Billings and begins its north eastern direction. Shortly after Billings it changes to more of a warm water meandering stream typical of those in eastern Montana unlike the cold free flowing river at Billings. Even the native fish population changes beginning a bit downstream from Billings.
Based on the above it seems Billings has more in common with the central part of Montana than the eastern part. Yes Spanky Billings does host a rodeo every now and then and there is a cowboy presence. A lot of that is due to the fact that Billings does have the largest multipurpose arena in the state, The Yellowstone METRA. In case you didn't know, METRA is an acronym for Montana's Entertainment Trade and Recreation Arena. Aside from an occasional rodeo Billings is considered a metropolitan community in political circles die to the diversity of the economy and population.
Is it a sh*thole as AZGriz has proclaimed? That is entirely a matter of opinion. Is it a violent and crime ridden? Billings does have its issues and my original post pointed some of that out. Come on Bozanageles, put on your big boy pants and take care of your own social issues. As a matter of economics, Billings is the largest community between Minneapolis ( I know Fargo exists but so do the bison) and Spokane and the largest community in Wyoming and Montana north of Denver. I have read that the market area is considered to be over one million people because of its location.
What is the toughest community in Montana? Again the is up for debate but could include Hardin, Poplar, Deer Lodge, Heart Butte, Browning etc. Certain parts of Billings can hold its own in that category.
So I have given my opinions and tried to substantiate them, I know there will be those that disagree and I respect that. Again, I would like to congratulate everyone for the dialogue and cordial nature contained within.

Because I've lived and worked in four of the five communities you listed as the toughest communities in the state and don't really consider them tough by any measure, I'll not comment other than to say Billings is the single worst small urban center I have been in. I feel safer in Aurora, Colorado than in that meth hell hole. Reminds me of the Flathead and all of northwestern Montana, the Idaho Panhandle and northeast Washington.

Also, the Sheep Mountains are, by definition, mountains.

Why wasn't Westby a choice on our thoughts on what is "eastern Montana?"

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
AZGrizFan said:

I'll not comment other than to say Billings is the single worst small urban center I have been in.
Wearing your Bobcat gear was not a good idea.

Billings is definitely in South-Central Montana.

How do I know?

Just talk to your fellow Montanans that live in Miles City, Glendive, Sidney, Glasgow, Wolf Point, Culbertson, Plentywood, Baker, Ekalaka, Broadus and Alzada , and most of them, living within 100 miles or closer to North Dakota and/or South Dakota will tell you that they live in Eastern Montana, and Billings, about 250 miles from the ND border, is not part of Eastern Montana.

In fact, I know a few old boys from Eastern Montana that would actually get irritated and pissed off when MSU-Billings was known as Eastern Montana College. Again and again, they would tell me , "Billings is not in Eastern Montana--we are !!!"

And I have to smile when some of my Missoula friends, some of whom have never been west of the Continental Divide or if they have, it was when they went to a wedding or funeral when they were 7 years old, tell me Billings is flat and ugly. I am smiling because as I look out of my 7th floor office window, I am looking at Granite Peak and the Beartooth Mountains 60 miles to the west, the highest mountain range in Montana. And when I look to the south out those same office windows, I see the Pryor Mountains, rising to over 8,500 feet, 40 miles south of Billings. And to the north, south and east, 400-700 foot sandstone cliffs, the Rimrocks, that surround Billings.

Billings is definitely in Eastern Montana. How do I know? The state college in Billings was named Eastern Montana College.

Grizbeer said:
Billings is definitely in Eastern Montana. How do I know? The state college in Billings was named Eastern Montana College.
Directionally related to the real MT universities, for sure.

billingsgriz said:
And I have to smile when some of my Missoula friends, some of whom have never been west of the Continental Divide or if they have, it was when they went to a wedding or funeral when they were 7 years old, tell me Billings is flat and ugly.
Hmmm.... Last time I checked Missoula itself is west of the Continental Divide.

Billings is the hub business center of the large area of southcentral MT and northern WY, once referred to as the Inland Empire.

kemajic said:
Billings is the hub business center of the large area of southcentral MT and northern WY, once referred to as the Inland Empire.

Yes, Billings used to be Montana’s headquarter city for major manufacturer sales reps in the food/drug industry. Companies like Heinz, Eastman Kodak, Union Carbide, Proctor &Gamble, Colgate.

Can all of the options be true?

Semantically, grew up listening to friends and family consistently referring to Great Falls as "Eastern Montana." I know that geographically it makes no rational sense to refer Great Falls, the Golden Triangle, as Eastern Montana, but it was a part of the lexicon. So it 'feels' Eastern Montana while making those many car trips to Big Sandy and Havre in my youth, but the geographic reality not so much.

As a side note about drives:
1. Highway 200 might be my favorite road to travel in the state. Provides one of the most scenically diverse drives you could find, including long stretches of the Blackfoot, Clark Fork and Flathead Rivers but my favorite is coming over the top of Rogers Pass to the east and watching the whole plains open up before your eyes and it takes you through Lewistown which during the spring is so visually appealing.
2. For nostalgic purposes the other drive that I enjoy is the road between Malta to Grass Range/Judith Gap. Two particular reasons: First love that you can drive that road for five hours and not see another car (grass growing in the highway is an added bonus). The other it is you get to see the back side of the Bears Paw, the Missouri River Breaks (Fred Robinson Bridge) and the Crazies. Might seem desolate to some, but I enjoy the remoteness of that drive and how you can easily visualize what the plains looked like pre- American civilization.

Back