• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What do you consider Eastern Montana

What do you consider Eastern Montana

• Everything east of the divide.

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Everything east of the Rocky Mountain Front.

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • Everything east of Bozeman.

Votes: 27 26.7%
  • Everything east of 11 miles west of Lewiston, the geographical center of Montana.

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Everything east of Billings.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Everything east of Miles City.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Everything east of Glendive.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Everything east of Wibaux.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There is no eastern Montana, it’s actually western North Dakota.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Bobcats suck.

Votes: 66 65.3%
  • Western North Dakota sucks.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • All of North Dakota sucks.

Votes: 47 46.5%

• Total voters
GRIZ PHAN said:
Billings is in eastern Montana. MSU Billings changed its name for the third time from Eastern Montana College in 1995. Or should it have been named Central (instead of Eastern) Montana Normal School when it was founded in 1927?

Because Billings isn’t in central Montana.

…alzada..is in eastern montana…
…yaak..is in western montana…
…montana’s longest road trip…
…800 the way the crow flys…

… :shock: …

Blgs Griz Fan said:
griz4life said:
The east starts on the other side of Billings, Grass Range, Havre, etc. There is such a thing as Central Montana. If you want to rile up someone from Eastern Montana, tell them you mean Billings when you reference it.

A non native would probably say the state includes Missoula, Bozeman, Butte and Glacier Park. Full stop.

I am often amused by those people slamming Billings. I have been here for a long time and know the city and people very well. Is Billings perfect? Is it a sh*thole? Is it eastern or central Montana? Those are all valid questions.
My opinion is Billings is central Montana and not eastern Montana. I used to earn beer money for the weekend by betting ill informed students that I was closer to the highest point in Montana in downtown Billings than in downtown Missoula or even Bozeman if it is highway miles.
Yes, Granite Peak is a short hour and a half away not that you can drive to it. Now pay my five bucks. In fact the second highest mountain range, The Crazy Mountains, is roughly 100 miles west. Having visited, hiked, and explored the Beartooth Mountains I always considered the mountains around Missoula to be mere foothills. Some of us enjoy living in Billings because the mountains are an hour away but so is the prairie. So Billings does have access to more geologic diversity.
Missoula was and is a quirky college town. It has managed to maintain that for decades and is refreshing to visit and I would even consider relocating there. Bozeman is well Bozangeles and has sold out its Montana roots to the money factor. I often call Gallatin Valley California's' Northern Colony. I do business in Bozeman and most of the long time residents are not happy with the change. Unless they profit from it in their busines.
Great Falls really hasn't changed much. It is still heavily influenced by the Golden Triangle and Malmstrom AFB. I have always though it to be the least friendly major Montana community. Plus they don't seem to have many defined neighborhoods.
Kalispell is and will continue to be dependent on Glacier, Flathead Lake and the scenery. Helena? Helena can best be described as old money, new money, lotsa of money or government. I had a friend accept a job with the Department of Commerce and moved there for a few years. He said his impression was that the residents seldom smile.
I had the opportunity to distribute a major construction related product line in Montana. I found that businesses west of the Divide tended to look to Spokane for wholesale distribution and were reluctant to do business with a Billings distributor. In a way that makes sense because of the shipping situation.
One disadvantage Billings does have is it has a high concentration of social service, specifically rehabilitative services. Unfortunately that can bring in those with behavior and even criminal problems. Law enforcement in Bozeman and the rest of California's Northern Colony are know to take street people, homeless and those likely to cause trouble to the bus station and buy them a one way ticket to Billings and sometimes Butte. I have been told this by three members of law enforcement there one of which was in a command position. Come on Bozeman, put your big boy pants on and address your own social problems at home.
Both Bozeman and Missoula have homeless encampment and significant numbers living in RV's. I don't see concentrated encampments in Billings.
Is Billings the sh*thole many claim it to be? It depends entirely on your perspective and what it is compared to. It is the most populous, it has numerous job opportunities in a variety of business and it has been rated as one of the easiest places to start a new business. The health care facilities are great and in fact The Billings Clinic has numerous campuses around the state including Bozeman and Missoula. The only four year medical school is pretty much weathered in construction wise and should open before too long. Yes, it is private for profit but it does fill a need.
The Billings economy is broad based and when a recession hits Billings doesn't feel as much pain as other Montana communities. In my opinion I nominate Bozeman as the true shithole of Montana because it is the least Montana community and has sold out to the influence of money. Gianforte and Daines are good examples.

Good summary of Montana's major towns. And, I second the nomination of Bozeman as THE shithole of Montana. :thumb:

Blgs Griz Fan said:
argh! said:
it is everything east of lewiston. geology and geography were frequent lessons, given on endlessly long automobile trips, only to be repeated again. i was taught lewiston was the center, east/west was determined by proximity to lewiston. from the east, all the way to the... west.

What's Idaho have to do with this?

sorry sorry sorry leh, i meant lewistown.*

*that is malay for sorry, i meant lewistown.

What are the toughest towns in Eastern Montana? I’m talking the real tough ones where the tough live. I feel like Hardin is too obvious, so I’m looking for other options.

CDAGRIZ said:
What are the toughest towns in Eastern Montana? I’m talking the real tough ones where the tough live. I feel like Hardin is too obvious, so I’m looking for other options.
You know how the old Central Montana saying goes: "You never wanna see a Butte boy and a Hardin boy enter a crowded pizza place at the same time".

3-7-77 said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
I am often amused by those people slamming Billings. I have been here for a long time and know the city and people very well. Is Billings perfect? Is it a sh*thole? Is it eastern or central Montana? Those are all valid questions.
My opinion is Billings is central Montana and not eastern Montana. I used to earn beer money for the weekend by betting ill informed students that I was closer to the highest point in Montana in downtown Billings than in downtown Missoula or even Bozeman if it is highway miles.
Yes, Granite Peak is a short hour and a half away not that you can drive to it. Now pay my five bucks. In fact the second highest mountain range, The Crazy Mountains, is roughly 100 miles west. Having visited, hiked, and explored the Beartooth Mountains I always considered the mountains around Missoula to be mere foothills. Some of us enjoy living in Billings because the mountains are an hour away but so is the prairie. So Billings does have access to more geologic diversity.
Missoula was and is a quirky college town. It has managed to maintain that for decades and is refreshing to visit and I would even consider relocating there. Bozeman is well Bozangeles and has sold out its Montana roots to the money factor. I often call Gallatin Valley California's' Northern Colony. I do business in Bozeman and most of the long time residents are not happy with the change. Unless they profit from it in their busines.
Great Falls really hasn't changed much. It is still heavily influenced by the Golden Triangle and Malmstrom AFB. I have always though it to be the least friendly major Montana community. Plus they don't seem to have many defined neighborhoods.
Kalispell is and will continue to be dependent on Glacier, Flathead Lake and the scenery. Helena? Helena can best be described as old money, new money, lotsa of money or government. I had a friend accept a job with the Department of Commerce and moved there for a few years. He said his impression was that the residents seldom smile.
I had the opportunity to distribute a major construction related product line in Montana. I found that businesses west of the Divide tended to look to Spokane for wholesale distribution and were reluctant to do business with a Billings distributor. In a way that makes sense because of the shipping situation.
One disadvantage Billings does have is it has a high concentration of social service, specifically rehabilitative services. Unfortunately that can bring in those with behavior and even criminal problems. Law enforcement in Bozeman and the rest of California's Northern Colony are know to take street people, homeless and those likely to cause trouble to the bus station and buy them a one way ticket to Billings and sometimes Butte. I have been told this by three members of law enforcement there one of which was in a command position. Come on Bozeman, put your big boy pants on and address your own social problems at home.
Both Bozeman and Missoula have homeless encampment and significant numbers living in RV's. I don't see concentrated encampments in Billings.
Is Billings the sh*thole many claim it to be? It depends entirely on your perspective and what it is compared to. It is the most populous, it has numerous job opportunities in a variety of business and it has been rated as one of the easiest places to start a new business. The health care facilities are great and in fact The Billings Clinic has numerous campuses around the state including Bozeman and Missoula. The only four year medical school is pretty much weathered in construction wise and should open before too long. Yes, it is private for profit but it does fill a need.
The Billings economy is broad based and when a recession hits Billings doesn't feel as much pain as other Montana communities. In my opinion I nominate Bozeman as the true shithole of Montana because it is the least Montana community and has sold out to the influence of money. Gianforte and Daines are good examples.

Good summary of Montana's major towns. And, I second the nomination of Bozeman as THE shithole of Montana. :thumb:

The difference in Missoula is this: when I was growing up there, it was both a quirky college town AND a very centrist blue collar town, with the pulp mill, lumber yards, Bonner mill, etc., etc. ALL of the blue collar industry is gone now, run out by the envirowhackos, and what’s left is largely left wing liberals working for the university.

uofmman1122 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
You know how the old Central Montana saying goes: "You never wanna see a Butte boy and a Hardin boy enter a crowded pizza place at the same time".

Very true. I’ve lived my life by those words.

Spanky2 said:
GRIZ PHAN said:
Billings is in eastern Montana. MSU Billings changed its name for the third time from Eastern Montana College in 1995. Or should it have been named Central (instead of Eastern) Montana Normal School when it was founded in 1927?

It certainly is, southcentral MT. Are you losing it Spank?

AZGrizFan said:
3-7-77 said:

The difference in Missoula is this: when I was growing up there, it was both a quirky college town AND a very centrist blue collar town, with the pulp mill, lumber yards, Bonner mill, etc., etc. ALL of the blue collar industry is gone now, run out by the envirowhackos, and what’s left is largely left wing liberals working for the university.
What they said,

kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:
Well Kem, maybe I am but I’ve lived here a long time now and I’ve always known Billings is in eastern Montana. I went to high school in Hardin. Do you think Hardin is in south central Montana? Do you think the former MSUB teams should have been called the south central Montana Yellowjackets?

I know that South Central does it it like nobody does. To all the neighbors (looking at you Lockwood) you got much flavor, but let’s flip the track and bring the old school back.

Spanky2 said:
kemajic said:
Well Kem, maybe I am but I’ve lived here a long time now and I’ve always known Billings is in eastern Montana. I went to high school in Hardin. Do you think Hardin is in south central Montana? Do you think the former MSUB teams should have been called the south central Montana Yellowjackets?
Billings prizes its access to Yellowstone Park. How eastern is that?

AZGrizFan said:
3-7-77 said:

Yes!! God forbid you can actually breath the air now. Fvcking leftists. If only we could all go back to the days of those month long air inversions, Missoula would be such a better place to live.

Also, although I can’t say this with 100 percent confidence, I bet it was the damn libs that brought all those delicious breweries into town, corrupting our youth with the devil’s potion. Next they’re want us to teach evolution in the schools, as if to suggest dinosaurs didn’t go for a nice cruise on the Ark!!

Spanky2 said:
GRIZ PHAN said:

isn't Lewiston, in Idaho?

AZGrizFan said:
3-7-77 said:

:thumb: With the exception of my wife and me!

Blgs Griz Fan said:
griz4life said:
The east starts on the other side of Billings, Grass Range, Havre, etc. There is such a thing as Central Montana. If you want to rile up someone from Eastern Montana, tell them you mean Billings when you reference it.

A non native would probably say the state includes Missoula, Bozeman, Butte and Glacier Park. Full stop.

I would have to agree about of the comments about Great Falls with the exception of Malmstrom AFB. Owning my own business and then later working at Malmstrom AFB I came to the conclusion that the Military folks from all over this Great Country was eye opening. Met some of the nicest folks of all colors. Everyone working to accomplish the same goal. Loved everything about working there!

Blgs Griz Fan said:
griz4life said:

Do you know that Daines’ parents both grew up in Billings?

“ Daines was born in Van Nuys, California,[2] the son of Sharon R. (Erickson) and Clair W. Daines.[3] He moved to Montana with his parents when he was two years old.[4] He was raised in Bozeman, Montana where he attended school from kindergarten through college.[5] Although born in California, he asserts that he is a fifth-generation Montanan, based on having a direct family line of people who have lived in Montana since his great-great-grandmother Karine Dyrud immigrated from Norway to Minnesota in 1869, and later moved to Montana. His parents both grew up in Billings, Montana, and returned to Montana to start their own home-construction business.”

CDAGRIZ said:
Billings is the toughest town in Eastern Montana. Miles City is second.

Back