• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Why no top notch QB's at UM?

HelenaHandBasket said:
KDyrud said:
Remember that short, scrawny dude from Great Falls we recruited. Like 5'3 and 134 pounds? Plus he's a redhead, yuck. Only won games because of the defense and all the offensive weapons overcoming his shortfalls. Pun intended. Barely did anything after college anyway. Played somewhere with walruses and blizzards and maple syrup. Maybe someday we can finally get a real player at QB in this place.

I totally get your comparison since absolutely nothing has changed over the last 30 years.

Wrong ! They change the flavor of the kool-aid at least every other year.

mthoopsfan said:
No, he wasn’t. He was a pick machine. Brown threw no picks last season. 1.5 yards per carry against Bison.
Brown threw “no picks” because Brown rarely threw the ball past the LOS.

Quarterback #1: 37/66, 319 yards, 1TD, 0 INT, 56.6% completion, long of 22, 23 rushes for 17 yards, 0.7 average, 1 TD

Quarterback #2: 30/44, 323 yards, 3TD, 3 INT, 68.18% completion (highest on team), long of 32 yards, 39 rushes, 189 yards, 4.8 average (highest of 3 QB’s), 1 TD (and newsflash: his 1.5 ypc against NDSU was twice what Johnson’s average was).

I mean, who wants a QB that completes almost 70% of their passes and averages almost 5 yards a carry? Right?

I’ll take QB #2 all day and twice on Sundays. QB2 wins the Weber game AND the Sac game if given the opportunity. And probably the Idaho game. We’d have been at worst 9-2 instead of 7-4, had a seed, been able to rest the first weekend and get Johnson healthy, and also gotten valuable development time for the heir apparent. Instead your overly risk-averse pal Bobby decided to piss away the entire season by first failing to develop Britt sufficiently, then forcing a square peg into a round hole repeatedly for 2 1/2 games and driving off the heir apparent.

Then fires the OC. :lol:

Brilliance personified.

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:
No, he wasn’t. He was a pick machine. Brown threw no picks last season. 1.5 yards per carry against Bison.

Quarterback #1: 37/66, 319 yards, 1TD, 0 INT, 56.6% completion, long of 22, 23 rushes for 17 yards, 0.7 average, 1 TD

Quarterback #2: 30/44, 323 yards, 3TD, 3 INT, 68.18% completion (highest on team), long of 32 yards, 39 rushes, 189 yards, 4.8 average (highest of 3 QB’s), 1 TD (and newsflash: his 1.5 ypc against NDSU was twice what Johnson’s average was).

I mean, who wants a QB that completes almost 70% of their passes and averages almost 5 yards a carry? Right?

I’ll take QB #2 all day and twice on Sundays. QB2 wins the Weber game AND the Sac game if given the opportunity. And probably the Idaho game. We’d have been at worst 9-2 instead of 7-4, had a seed, been able to rest the first weekend and get Johnson healthy, and also gotten valuable development time for the heir apparent. Instead your overly risk-averse pal Bobby decided to piss away the entire season by first failing to develop Britt sufficiently, then forcing a square peg into a round hole repeatedly for 2 1/2 games and driving off the heir apparent.

Brilliance personified.
You are presuming those bad QB decisions were made by the head coach. I doubt it and maybe that's why the OC was fired.

Spanky2 said:
kemajic said:
That is true but we know the outcome of your speculation favoring Brown. It was pitiful. My speculation favoring Britt in the Weber game remains viable speculation. In spite of your int BS, we'll never know.

It didn't take long for Britt's move to NAU to turn sour; they didn't bring in Milner to sit. Looks like Britt rides the pine there like he did here, or hits the portal again with only a move down or sitting a year as options. He wasted a portal move and achieved nothing.
Is Brown still with the team?

Brown.......the Mack Anderson of Griz FB.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

Brilliance personified.
You are presuming those bad QB decisions were made by the head coach. I doubt it and maybe that's why the OC was fired.

Well, that’s where the buck stops, IMHO.

But hey, maybe that’s just me.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Britt didn't develop at qb because he didn't perform last year in spring ball and didn't always listen to the coaches. It was his own fault.

My recollection is that Brown attempted more downfield passes than Britt.

Yes, Britt is a much better runner than Brown.

Britt got most of his playing time in mop up situations, except at NDSU. When it counted, he didn’t perform very well. His only TD came at the end of the game when the game was essentially over.

Johnson wins the SS and Weber games. I’m not so sure that Britt does. He might have, but I think he would have thrown picks and made mistakes. He was completely unprepared to play in those games too.

In the game that counted, NSDU, again, Britt showed very little in the second half, until the last drive. He wasn't close to starter quality.

2d half drives, before last TD drive. 3-0. 6-14 and pick. 3 for minus 1. 11-63 and pick. 3-1. So, three 3 and outs. 27 for 77 yards and 2 picks. Sacked twice. About 5-7 and a TD.

By drive, 2-2 for 7. 2-3 for 8 and pick. 0-2. 2-5 with a 32 yarder and pick. Brown 1-1 for 5. Then the TD drive at the end

Britt rushed 12 times for 18 yards in the game. Long was 11. So, netted 7 yards on 11 runs, of which 2 were sacks. So, when it counted, Britt rushes were fewer per carry than Brown.

The worst performance by a QB last year was Johnson vs Idaho. Terrible in every regard including 2 really bad picks to end the game.

Cue the "he was sick" crowd.

Yet the coaches left him in. Gross.

All this depends on how we define developing qbs.
If it's about developing FBS transfer qbs, the GRIZ have been solid there. Unfortunately, injuries have prevented them from truly getting to higher levels of accomplishments. A potential, B to C results, depending on your grading curve.

Now, the part of this that extreme loyalists don't like, and have difficulty facing the results. How many GRIZ HS QB commits have actually developed to being solid to terrific FCS qbs? Without researching it, off the top my head, I'll comfortably go with Berquist and Selle. Feel free to add anyone I'm forgetting.

Even if we can honestly come up with another 3 names, that would be 5 HS QB recruits that developed well under the Hauck regime. Considering, the number of years, Hauck has been the GRIZ Head Coach, that's not a good history.

Meanwhile, EWU has struck it rich with how many qbs over the years? MSU has done a better job developing their HS recruited QBs. NAU has had good qbs. Idaho is hard to judge, but seem to be rich with McCoy. Sac's qbs haven't put up big #s, but have led them well under Taylor. Again, just off the rop of my head, no research.

If we developed our commits well, why have we turned to FBS drop downs MOST years? Why the same play calls for a pocket qb (Brown) as your multi dimensional qb (Johnson)? Shouldn't the play calling be more about the skill sets of the qb in the game? Why very little loyalty to your recruited hs qb's over the years? Yes, I legitimately see Britt's reasoning. Even if one disagrees with him. It is his opinion, not ours.
I'll give our HS qb recruit development a D+, with Berquist and Selle having saved this from a F.

So, taking out my Griz bias, strictly based on hs qb recruits history, I can see why recruits and coaches would question the GRIZ. I can see why the likes of EWU and MSU would rate ahead of the GRIZ to recruits, coaches, and advisors.

Like it or not, our HS QB commits aren't very favorable over Hauck's time at Montana. If we don't better utilize our WRs, that may eventually take a recruiting hit also.

This is just my honest opinion, like it or not.

In Hauck first stint of 7 years, he has Ochs and Disney for the first two years. Then Bergquist for 3 of the next 4, with Swogger in one year. Then Selle. Personally, I don't see the gripe there. Should he have benched Ochs?

In Hauck's second stint, with 4 seasons, he's had Sneed, Humphrey and Johnson. I don't see the gripe there either. Should those three have been benched? At UM, Hauck has always had very good, good or at least pretty good qb's. Every single year. The injury goofed up this season, and hurt a past season or two. Yes, I know, every team should have a Brock Purdy in reserve.

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Britt didn't develop at qb because he didn't perform last year in spring ball and didn't always listen to the coaches. It was his own fault.

Britt got most of his playing time in mop up situations, except at NDSU. When it counted, he didn’t perform very well. His only TD came at the end of the game when the game was essentially over.

Johnson wins the SS and Weber games. I’m not so sure that Britt does. He might have, but I think he would have thrown picks and made mistakes. He was completely unprepared to play in those games too.

In the game that counted, NSDU, again, Britt showed very little in the second half, until the last drive. He wasn't close to starter quality.

2d half drives, before last TD drive. 3-0. 6-14 and pick. 3 for minus 1. 11-63 and pick. 3-1. So, three 3 and outs. 27 for 77 yards and 2 picks. Sacked twice. About 5-7 and a TD.

By drive, 2-2 for 7. 2-3 for 8 and pick. 0-2. 2-5 with a 32 yarder and pick. Brown 1-1 for 5. Then the TD drive at the end

Britt rushed 12 times for 18 yards in the game. Long was 11. So, netted 7 yards on 11 runs, of which 2 were sacks. So, when it counted, Britt rushes were fewer per carry than Brown.

77 yards in 3 drives. Against the 2nd best team in the country.

Brown: 114 yards in 4 QUARTERS. Against Weber State.

You do the math.

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:

You do the math.

I'm not comparing them. I'm saying Britt didn't do much when he had a chance. You are enamored with Britt. I am not and never was. And my impression from what I saw on egriz is that he wasn't a good team player.

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

You do the math.

I'm not comparing them. I'm saying Britt didn't do much when he had a chance. You are enamored with Britt. I am not and never was. And my impression from what I saw on egriz is that he wasn't a good team player.

I’m enamored with winning. Brown gave (gives) us no shot at that.

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:

Feel free to talk about Brown all you want. Brown won a lot more games than Britt ever did.

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Feel free to talk about Brown all you want. Brown won a lot more games than Britt ever did.

Sure could have used a couple of those last year.

mthoopsfan said:
In Hauck first stint of 7 years, he has Ochs and Disney for the first two years. Then Bergquist for 3 of the next 4, with Swogger in one year. Then Selle. Personally, I don't see the gripe there. Should he have benched Ochs?

In Hauck's second stint, with 4 seasons, he's had Sneed, Humphrey and Johnson. I don't see the gripe there either. Should those three have been benched? At UM, Hauck has always had very good, good or at least pretty good qb's. Every single year. The injury goofed up this season, and hurt a past season or two. Yes, I know, every team should have a Brock Purdy in reserve.
You just proved my point. Only Berquist and Selle were high school qb commits. Which happened to be the 2 I said I thought they developed. I also posted, rest of the starting qbs have been developed at FBS programs and transferred here. Hence, my comments on a questionable history at developing the hs qb commits.

Fortunately, if Vidlak stays here for his remaining eligibility, most of his development will be as a GRIZ. I like that he should be here 3 years.

I think we're saying similar things. You're focusing more on the qbs who proved themselves well. I'm adding in the many HS qb recruits who weren't developed well as a GRIZ.

I think preparing and developing our qb depth chart has a lot of room for improvement. Overall history suggests, it's been a staff weakness.

As for this season, I'm hoping we have 2 qbs we can consistently win with. I'm tired of the man going down, and so many struggles with backups. At the very least, better play calling that caters to that qbs strengths. Running option plays with Brown makes ZERO sense. Running the same offense with him as you did Johnson doesn't help a qb succeed.

My question is, did the staff fail at developing back up qbs, or fail at adjusting appropriately to back up qbs? It's one or the other. Which is it? The staff is at fault with one aspect. It’s their responsibility to do 1 or both those things.

In Hauck's first 7 years, his qb's in years 3-7 (5 years) were 4 high schoolers he recruited and 1 drop down. We can't expect a new coach to arrive at a school and immediately have high schoolers he recruited ready to play.

In Hauck's next 4 year stint, he hasn't had a high schooler at qb, at least yet. Again, I don't see how we can expect him to have a high schooler he recruited be the qb before year 3 or 4. I suppose Britt could have been one; I have my doubts. Brown was probably thought to be one, but didn't seem to step up last fall from making good progress the prior year.

To me, the data is too thin, at this point.

Wasn't Humphrey here for 3 years? Who developed him? Like the Vidlak point.

In any event, I could care less where the qb comes from. I actually like drop downs, as they are known and proven to a significant extent. I agree that it would be nice to have more 2/3 starters, wherever they come from.

I assume there will be some qb's available after spring ball in a few months. They'd have to get up to speed on the playbook and teammates fast, though. Hopefully, the current roster have some terrific prospects who will develop fast.

mthoopsfan said:
In Hauck's first 7 years, his qb's in years 3-7 (5 years) were 4 high schoolers he recruited and 1 drop down. We can't expect a new coach to arrive at a school and immediately have high schoolers he recruited ready to play.

In Hauck's next 4 year stint, he hasn't had a high schooler at qb, at least yet. Again, I don't see how we can expect him to have a high schooler he recruited be the qb before year 3 or 4. I suppose Britt could have been one; I have my doubts. Brown was probably thought to be one, but didn't seem to step up last fall from making good progress the prior year.

To me, the data is too thin, at this point.

Wasn't Humphrey here for 3 years? Who developed him? Like the Vidlak point.

In any event, I could care less where the qb comes from. I actually like drop downs, as they are known and proven to a significant extent. I agree that it would be nice to have more 2/3 starters, wherever they come from.

I assume there will be some qb's available after spring ball in a few months. They'd have to get up to speed on the playbook and teammates fast, though. Hopefully, the current roster have some terrific prospects who will develop fast.

QBs haven't been developed at UM since BH return. That's why the head coach fired the qb coach and offensive coordinator. Germer is next if there if aren't significant improvements.

uptopgriz said:
kemajic said:
That is true but we know the outcome of your speculation favoring Brown. It was pitiful. My speculation favoring Britt in the Weber game remains viable speculation. In spite of your int BS, we'll never know.

It didn't take long for Britt's move to NAU to turn sour; they didn't bring in Milner to sit. Looks like Britt rides the pine there like he did here, or hits the portal again with only a move down or sitting a year as options. He wasted a portal move and achieved nothing.

Britt didn't leave because of not starting next year. He was lied to about playing at Weber and the horrible coaching that happened in the QB room. Try to argue that quality coaching was happening with qbs at UM.

You are just full of sh*t. Britt left because Bobby wouldn't name him next year's starter, a classic Gresch move, only Britt had the prior knowledge Bobby doesn't do that. These spoiled prima donnas who are big man in high school and think the keys should be just handed to them, and admittedly don't work hard and take advantage of opportunities in practice, find out quickly who is really in charge. HIs level of immaturity seems obvious to everyone but you. Britt's foolish portal move at the outset to NAU is now looking even more foolish. He may have the talent to be all you speculate he could be, but he wasn't willing to put in the effort to make it happen. We are a better team without him, and I do hope he finds the room and desire at NAU to grow up.

Back