• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will Cherry a Cav

Even just practicing with a team with James is going to be awesome for Will! Of course LeBron loves his defense, but also just seeing Will get a shot with his own favorite player is pretty cool!

i do love the griz said:
Even just practicing with a team with James is going to be awesome for Will! Of course LeBron loves his defense, but also just seeing Will get a shot with his own favorite player is pretty cool!
Wahoo!

Well he showed what he could do consistently within their organization this past year. This is great for Will and makes sense.

this to me is a fascinating story. here's why.

as we all knew, will had to prove himself this summer in las vegas. we here knew he could play and his "d" leagure performance showed that, but he had to prove it in las vegas. not the greatest shooter, he had to hustle, he had to scrap, he had to play terrific defense, he had to limit his turnovers. and...

...he had to catch a break.

meantime, by las vegas, everybody knew labron had returned to the cavs, and that kevin love was on his way. the "big three" of love, james and irving were looming. the media had pretty much annointed them a dynasty before they ever played a game. there was just one piece missing, and many questioned whether he was the right guy in the right place at the right time. that was mr. dave blatt, the new head coach, a guy who had spent more than 30 years as a player and coach in europe. sure, he'd built a huge reputation for himself in europe, most recently with maccabi tel aviv, but in the arrogant world of the nba, that is a little like performing well in the "d" league. blatt had to prove himself, he had to start in las vegas. this was not a well-established nba coach taking a nice casual summer vacation, and
caring less about the score. i got very much the impression he was tyrying to win every game, and prove himself.

this is where two men, will cherry and dave blatt, formed a common bond.

i watched every minute of every cavs game this summer, and what you noticed was that in every critical down-to-the wire stretch of every game, will was in the lineup. others may have started or played more minutes, but will was right there at crunch time, as blatt wanted him to be, because he felt will gave them the best chance of winning, which is what blatt keenly wanted to do. will played harrassing defense, handed out assists, scored a bit, completely took over one game. most especially, he didn't turn the ball over, and was always on the floor at the end.

flash forward a few months. will is cut by toronto. meantime, the cavs stink it up royally against the knicks in one of the most ballyhooed regular season games of all time. they've got the big payroll, all the stars, the coronation has begun. except, they lay an egg.

i think blatt was missing a guy just like will cherry, and i bet he was a huge influence in signing him. will still has to prove himself, just as he did in las vegas; there's just too much talent at this level for you not to perform. but he's on the fifteen man roster, and let's hope blatt has the guy he wanted. i think he does.

one final ironic note. one of will's biggest boosters and closest friends is damien lilliard. and guess who the cavs's next game is against, tuesday night: damien lilliard and the portland trailblazers. the game is on nba tv, and i'll be glued to it.

Wi'll's officially a Cav. Just announced by the club, and that he has been added to the 15-man roster.

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/releases/cherry-sign-141102" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(nice photo of Will via the link)

Thanks, also, Citay for the perspective & background. I subcribed to the NBA summer league stream & saw every game, but did not notice the interaction between Blatt & Cherry. I did do some recent reading on Blatt & noted that he's definitely considered an outsider in the NBA. Hope Will can fit in well with the coach & team.

Oh yeah... upon reading about Will late last night, immediately signed up for the stream of NBA League Pass.

This exactly what I hoped would happen. The Cavs obviously saw Will's potential in summer league, so it was an easy decision.

Missoulian sports editor Bob Meseroll made contact with Will on Sunday & wrote a great story for this morning's Missoulian. Great quotes from Will. A must read/

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/mens-basketball/former-griz-cherry-signs-deal-with-cavaliers/article_a906138d-ad41-552d-a8d8-27dd0bc6a1a7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Per The Sportsnetwork here's the Cav's November TV schedule.

11/04: @ PORTLAND 8:00PM MT ON CSN-NW
11/05: @ UTAH 7:00PM MT ON ROOT NW
11/07: @ DENVER 8:30PM MT ON ESPN/ALTITUDE
11/17: @ CLEVELAND w/DENVER 5:00PM MT ON NBA-TV & ALTITUDE
11/19: @ CLEVELAND w/SAN ANTONIO 5:00PM MT ON ESPN
11/21: @ WIZARDS 6:00PM MT ON ESPN

The channels are available to Charter subscribers.

Hope this is helpful.

before we all get too excited here, let's remember that nba active rosters have 13 players only. two more are on the roster but "inactive." i believe they travel with the team and sit on or behind the bench, but only in street clothes. i don't know when we'll see will on the bench, let alone the floor.

citay said:
before we all get too excited here, let's remember that nba active rosters have 13 players only. two more are on the roster but "inactive." i believe they travel with the team and sit on or behind the bench, but only in street clothes. i don't know when we'll see will on the bench, let alone the floor.

Still great to see that he may be "in the mix"! :clap: :thumb:

To my knowledge, all 15 players travel and get per diem. They travel due to the probability of injury. I thought they only suited up 12, it could be 13 now. 500k per year is nothing to sneeze at. Considering most of us are lucky to make that kind of coin in 10 years.

mtgrizrule said:
To my knowledge, all 15 players travel and get per diem. They travel due to the probability of injury. I thought they only suited up 12, it could be 13 now. 500k per year is nothing to sneeze at. Considering most of us are lucky to make that kind of coin in 10 years.
All 15 normally travel, unless they're injured and rehabbing, but there can only be 12 active players each game. The 12 active players can change for each game.

Best of luck to Will.

SWeberCat02 said:
mtgrizrule said:
All 15 normally travel, unless they're injured and rehabbing, but there can only be 12 active players each game. The 12 active players can change for each game.

Best of luck to Will.
Thanks, WeberCat.

I pretty much use my league pass to watch the Spurs and then catch some condensed games of other teams, but I will just have to try and pay closer attention to the Cavs, now. Good luck, Will.

SWeberCat02 said:
mtgrizrule said:

Best of luck to Will.
Did some searching and found that the number of active players is now 13, not 12. It was changed during the lockout shortened season and later made a permanent change.

Cavs need some good defensive pressure. They need to dump Delluvadova (sp) and add Will to the active roster to pester Lilliard.

:shock:

This is jaw dropping news! Will Cherry in the NBA period is exciting. But playing with Lebron James? I mean COME ON :!: WOW :clap:

Major congratualtions go out to you, Will. I am still in awe. :D

Back