• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Caleb Lyons doesn't have a full ride? C'mon Man!

Ken Jones

After watching this young man perform in high school, I was surprised when he decided to attend the University of Montana ... especially when I heard he was going to be a preferred walk-on. After his red-shirt year and the performance on the scout team, I thought he earned a scholarship. But, no ... there was a coaching transition in place. Fair enough.

After the scrimmage on the March 21st, I think it's evident that Caleb Lyons has been a team player, ready to make a positive impact on and off the field.

C'mon Man ... give him a full ride!

If I remember correctly, Caleb suffered a pretty serious injury his senior year.
Most schools pulled away.
It sounds as though he has recovered. If he continues and makes the game squad I'd venture a guess that a schollie might follow.

Serious question here. Why would a school give a kid like Caleb a full ride when they are getting his services for free now. I know the kid may deserve it but wouldn't a coach think he should keep the scholarship to bring in some new blood? Don't take me wrong, I think all preferred walk-ons show up to earn a ride and in some cases they do but don't you think this crosses the mind of every coach?

Lovethecats75 said:
Serious question here. Why would a school give a kid like Caleb a full ride when they are getting his services for free now. I know the kid may deserve it but wouldn't a coach think he should keep the scholarship to bring in some new blood? Don't take me wrong, I think all preferred walk-ons show up to earn a ride and in some cases they do but don't you think this crosses the mind of every coach?

Nice commitment!

Ron Ash

Ursa Major said:
Lovethecats75 said:

Nice commitment!

Ron Ash

The commitment to commitment only runs from players to Coach Ron Ash and his super professional staff. It is not a two way street. It's more like a one way freeway. Coach Ron Ash does not owe players a God damned thing, as his actions confirm year after year.

Ken Jones said:
After watching this young man perform in high school, I was surprised when he decided to attend the University of Montana ... especially when I heard he was going to be a preferred walk-on. After his red-shirt year and the performance on the scout team, I thought he earned a scholarship. But, no ... there was a coaching transition in place. Fair enough.

After the scrimmage on the March 21st, I think it's evident that Caleb Lyons has been a team player, ready to make a positive impact on and off the field.

RECEIVING: Jamaal Jones 5-50, Ellis Henderson 4-47, Josh Janssen 2-45, Caleb Lyons 7-37, Tristen Clark 3-26, Chase Naccarato 3-18, Logwood 2-12, Reese Carlson 2-11, Connor McGuire 1-10, Mitch McLaughlin 4-8, Ryan Burke 1-6, Zach Hollenback 1-3, Nguyen 1-2, Johnson 2-0.

Lyons was the 4th leading receiver, yardage-wise. He averaged 5 yards a catch.

One thing to keep in mind is that one of the greatest Griz WR of all-time (now in the NFL) was a preferred-walkon, and he earned a scholarship his 4th year with the team... Marc Mariani.

Almost same thing with one of the greatest Griz safeties of all-time (now in the NFL) was a preferred-walkon, and he earned a scholarship his 3rd year with the team... Colt Anderson.

And you are yelling for a Lyons scholarship now? :lol:

IntuitiveGriz said:
Ken Jones said:

RECEIVING: Jamaal Jones 5-50, Ellis Henderson 4-47, Josh Janssen 2-45, Caleb Lyons 7-37, Tristen Clark 3-26, Chase Naccarato 3-18, Logwood 2-12, Reese Carlson 2-11, Connor McGuire 1-10, Mitch McLaughlin 4-8, Ryan Burke 1-6, Zach Hollenback 1-3, Nguyen 1-2, Johnson 2-0.

One thing to keep in mind is that one of the greatest Griz WR of all-time (now in the NFL) was a preferred-walkon, and he earned a scholarship his 4th year with the team... Marc Mariani.

Almost same thing with one of the greatest Griz safeties of all-time (now in the NFL) was a preferred-walkon, and he earned a scholarship his 3rd year with the team... Colt Anderson.

Seven catches for 37 yards, against the 1 team defense, as a redshirt freshman, please let me reiterate my statement: C'mon Man ... give him a full ride!

Of course, Montana can continue to show future recruits that gifted talent is under appreciated and under rewarded @ Montana.

Ken Jones said:
Of course, Montana can continue to show future recruits that gifted talent is under appreciated and under rewarded @ Montana.

Or they can continue to show them that gifted talent is rewarded with NFL careers when you go to Montana... :cool: :cool:

Word is he earned a full ride scholarship until he caught that horrible pass for -6 yards.

It's a rough world out there.

In June the staff will be deciding who gets scholarships and who might lose a scholarship. Until then, the non scholarship players are just that. Caleb certainly should merit heavy consideration. What we don't know is, what have other non scholarship players been doing behind the scenes? I bet an argument could be made for other players too.

Ken Jones said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Ken Jones said:

Seven catches for 37 yards, against the 1 team defense, as a redshirt freshman, please let me reiterate my statement: C'mon Man ... give him a full ride!

Egriz probably is not the best place to state the case for Caleb...You're probably hurting his cause posting about him here.

mtgrizrule said:
In June the staff will be deciding who gets scholarships and who might lose a scholarship. Until then, the non scholarship players are just that. Caleb certainly should merit heavy consideration. What we don't know is, what have other non scholarship players been doing behind the scenes? I bet an argument could be made for other players too.

And reserved scholarships for potential transfers and perceived holes to fill. Lyons is only a frosh, but is already well-regarded from his red shirt season and good play in spring scrimmages. He is in the mix to be one of the 8 receivers who will get playing time. That may or may not mean that there will a partial scholarship for him this year. It's a numbers game, especially this year with new coaches and holes to fill for the new offense.

If he is as great as Jones thinks he is, perhaps he would have been in line for a scholarship elsewhere? The young man will probably earn a scholarship, but fans like Jones should let the coaches make that decision.

CV Griz Fan said:
Ken Jones said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Ken Jones said:

Egriz probably is not the best place to state the case for Caleb...You're probably hurting his cause posting about him here.

Your response is disappointing to learn ... "probably hurting his cause posting about him here."

If the Montana coaches make their scholarship decisions based on comments from supporters, nonsupporters or both, rather than results, talent, leaderships and ability to enhance the team, then I don't see Montana winning the Big Sky anytime soon. :cool:

Spanky said:
If he is as great as Jones thinks he is, perhaps he would have been in line for a scholarship elsewhere? The young man will probably earn a scholarship, but fans like Jones should let the coaches make that decision.

Obviously, the coaches will make the decisions. Obviously, the coaches, media and supporters see stats. What's not obvious: the business of collegiate athletics. :cool:

Annoying when people feel entitled. There are a lot of good players that don't now or at least didn't as a true frosh get a scholarship. Business of small time football is a lot more about doing the most with less. Historically the um has done a good job giving talented kids an opportunity if they and their families can be patient. If the kid is truly that good and is a gamer his time and money will come.

grizd said:
Annoying when people feel entitled. There are a lot of good players that don't now or at least didn't as a true frosh get a scholarship. Business of small time football is a lot more about doing the most with less. Historically the um has done a good job giving talented kids an opportunity if they and their families can be patient. If the kid is truly that good and is a gamer his time and money will come.
While Ken Jones knows Caleb and his family well his coming on here to promote Caleb getting a scholarship has nothing to do with Caleb feeling "entitled" and he is very much aware he needs to earn it.

Latest posts

Back