• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Caleb Lyons doesn't have a full ride? C'mon Man!

IntuitiveGriz said:
Ken Jones said:
Spanky said:
Player..........excellent post. My son's coach in another conference told me once that potential means nothing. A player has to prove himself on the field or court.

Most athletic scholarships are awarded based on potential. :cool: Preferred walk-ons are awarded the status 'cause they have the potential to earn a scholarship. :) Some walk-ons have the potential to earn scholarships too. :clap: Potential is the key to unlock the door to opportunity. After his red-shirt year, Caleb Lyons is showing the potential to earn an athletic scholarship with his performances in 2015 spring ball. :)

I'm pulling for the kid.

But he has averaged this spring 5 yards a catch in one scrimmage, 4 yards a catch in another scrimmage, and 6 yards a catch this final spring scrimmage.

Long ways to go for a full-ride. :twocents:
You, realize that this is due to his position and the plays they're throwing to him....right???? Chase has a scholly and he avgd a little over 3 yds yesterday. Same position, same plays. Ellis and Jamaal get big yds on their plays because they run mostly vertical routes. Comparing outside receiver yds to inside receiver yds is apples/oranges

RobGriz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Ken Jones said:
Spanky said:
Player..........excellent post. My son's coach in another conference told me once that potential means nothing. A player has to prove himself on the field or court.

Most athletic scholarships are awarded based on potential. :cool: Preferred walk-ons are awarded the status 'cause they have the potential to earn a scholarship. :) Some walk-ons have the potential to earn scholarships too. :clap: Potential is the key to unlock the door to opportunity. After his red-shirt year, Caleb Lyons is showing the potential to earn an athletic scholarship with his performances in 2015 spring ball. :)

I'm pulling for the kid.

But he has averaged this spring 5 yards a catch in one scrimmage, 4 yards a catch in another scrimmage, and 6 yards a catch this final spring scrimmage.

You, realize that this is due to his position and the plays they're throwing to him....right???? Chase has a scholly and he avgd a little over 3 yds yesterday. Same position, same plays. Ellis and Jamaal get big yds on their plays because they run mostly vertical routes. Comparing outside receiver yds to inside receiver yds is apples/oranges

There aren't alot of vertical routes in Stitt's offense (or at least not compared to the past several years). The offense is designed more alot of shorter passes. But yes, the outside receivers have more opportunity in space. The inside receivers get good opportunity for catches too, and are supposed to rack up the YAC. What Lyons showed was that he could get open and catch the ball, but he didn't seem to break much or get the YAC. He wasn't the only receiver not catching the ball yesterday. However, based on what he had done the rest of spring ball, I was a bit surprised he didn't get a few more catches. Lyons is not in the same category as Henderson and Jones. They are all-american quality.

PlayerRep said:
RobGriz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Ken Jones said:

I'm pulling for the kid.

There aren't alot of vertical routes in Stitt's offense (or at least not compared to the past several years). The offense is designed more alot of shorter passes. But yes, the outside receivers have more opportunity in space. The inside receivers get good opportunity for catches too, and are supposed to rack up the YAC. What Lyons showed was that he could get open and catch the ball, but he didn't seem to break much or get the YAC. He wasn't the only receiver not catching the ball yesterday. However, based on what he had done the rest of spring ball, I was a bit surprised he didn't get a few more catches. Lyons is not in the same category as Henderson and Jones. They are all-american quality.
Agreed but it would be safe to say there aren't a lot of players in that category. And while I understand that about Stitts offense, there are verticals and during the scrimmage those routes were mostly run by the outside receivers and as you say they do get more opportunity in space. There were a lot of drops yesterday.
I will be interested to see how this new receiver from Penn State does.

RobGriz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Ken Jones said:
Spanky said:

I'm pulling for the kid.

Being a former receiver, I most certainly realize that the wide receivers that line up off of the line of scrimmage, which are the Flanker (Z receiver) and the Slot (Y receiver), get a lot of bubble passes. And that the Split End (X receiver), who lines up on the line of scrimmage towards the sideline, is more often the deep threat. The problem with Lyons' small per catch avg is that he hasn't turned those into long gains/touchdowns as of yet. But that's ok, Stitt has recruited scholarship players that will be arriving in the fall to do just that.

IntuitiveGriz said:
RobGriz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Ken Jones said:

I'm pulling for the kid.

Being a former receiver, I most certainly realize that the wide receivers that line up off of the line of scrimmage, which are the Flanker (Z receiver) and the Slot (Y receiver), get a lot of bubble passes. And that the Split End (X receiver), who lines up on the line of scrimmage towards the sideline, is more often the deep threat. The problem with Lyons' small per catch avg is that he hasn't turned those into long gains/touchdowns as of yet. But that's ok, Stitt has recruited scholarship players that will be arriving in the fall to do just that.
HAHA!!! You're a fucking idiot. If that's the case we're in serious trouble because of ALL of our inside receivers, which are H & Z in Stitts O, Lyons leads in catches and yds on all of the 4 or 5 different plays we've run in the 3 scrimmages. But I'm sure the untested freshman that have not seen a second of college football are much better than Caleb and Chase.
LOL "being a former receiver" BWAHAHAHA!!!! Back in '85 if coach had put you in you'd have been state champs, no doubt.

RobGriz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
RobGriz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
I'm pulling for the kid.

HAHA!!! You're a f***[*] idiot. If that's the case we're in serious trouble because of ALL of our inside receivers, which are H & Z in Stitts O, Lyons leads in catches and yds on all of the 4 or 5 different plays we've run in the 3 scrimmages. But I'm sure the untested freshman that have not see a second of college football are much better than Caleb and Chase.
LOL "being a former receiver" BWAHAHAHA!!!! Back in '85 if coach had put you in you'd have been state champs, no doubt.

The difference is, the incoming Freshman WR are already guaranteed scholarships coming in. With limited scholarships to use, I'd be surprised if any current walk on WR's are given a scholarship this coming year. Whatever remaining scholarships there is will be decided in June, or possibly when fall quarter begins.

mtgrizrule said:
RobGriz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
RobGriz said:

HAHA!!! You're a f***[*] idiot. If that's the case we're in serious trouble because of ALL of our inside receivers, which are H & Z in Stitts O, Lyons leads in catches and yds on all of the 4 or 5 different plays we've run in the 3 scrimmages. But I'm sure the untested freshman that have not see a second of college football are much better than Caleb and Chase.

The difference is, the incoming Freshman WR are already guaranteed scholarships coming in. With limited scholarships to use, I'd be surprised if any current walk on WR's are given a scholarship this coming year. Whatever remaining scholarships there is will be decided in June, or possibly when fall quarter begins.
And he may not be "given" a scholarship, but he will damn sure do his best to earn one.

RobGriz said:
mtgrizrule said:
RobGriz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

And he may not be "given" a scholarship, but he will damn sure do his best to earn one.

Lakes Football and its alumni have learned to focus and finish ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKOLqM-LnA0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. :cool: Caleb Lyons will not be the first or the last Lakes Football alumnus to earn his way in collegiate football. :thumb:

Spanky said:
The key word in your statement is earn.
And while I've no doubt he will earn one, truthfully I don't think it is a question of whether he's has one or not. The kid wants to be a Griz. Period.

Back