• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Caleb Lyons doesn't have a full ride? C'mon Man!

I also don't think that having an opinion about whether one player deserves a scholly over another makes the player "entitled".

Your suggestion is a fine one. However, with our limited number of available scholarships I am sure the staff wants to have the right kids receiving scholarship support. It is their call. They are the professionals.

Spanky said:
Then he should let the young man earn a scholarship
Your powers of cognitive reasoning are only surpassed by your poetic usage of the English language. :thumb:

GrizSpartan said:
Your suggestion is a fine one. However, with our limited number of available scholarships I am sure the staff wants to have the right kids receiving scholarship support. It is their call. They are the professionals.
agreed. Let's stop with this "opinion" crap on eGriz.

No offense intended toward Caleb or any player working toward a scholarship. It will be a hard decision for the coaches as to who gets scholarships or not. Also keep in mind the likes of Marc Mariani and Colt Anderson did not get their scholarship until later. Correct me if my memory is wrong, I thought they waited until their JR seasons.

Also keep in mind the GRIZ are working with less scholarships through the next 2 seasons still. Seriously, how many WR's should be on scholarship? It would be wise to allocate those scholarships to build depth at as many positions as possible. Overloading 1 or 2 positions with scholarships does not make much sense.

I won't be surprised if the GRIZ add one or a few BCS transfers as well. I hope whoever does not get a scholarship will stick with it like other great GRIZ walk ons have done.

mtgrizrule said:
No offense intended toward Caleb or any player working toward a scholarship. It will be a hard decision for the coaches as to who gets scholarships or not. Also keep in mind the likes of Marc Mariani and Colt Anderson did not get their scholarship until later. Correct me if my memory is wrong, I thought they waited until their JR seasons.

Also keep in mind the GRIZ are working with less scholarships through the next 2 seasons still. Seriously, how many WR's should be on scholarship? It would be wise to allocate those scholarships to build depth at as many positions as possible. Overloading 1 or 2 positions with scholarships does not make much sense.

I won't be surprised if the GRIZ add one or a few BCS transfers as well. I hope whoever does not get a scholarship will stick with it like other great GRIZ walk ons have done.

Good post.
Once the scholarship reduction has run its course, do any of you think Stitt will use all available schollys? Or will he continue the practice of leaving a few hanging out there unused?

"Lyons has lead in receptions in both scrimmages and shown incredible ability to pile up “yards after catch”. He’s been doing kick returns as well. Caleb has a chance to get some time on the field this season. He needs to keep working on blocking and probably not grabbing negative 6 yard passes (ha) but he’s been one of the younger guys that’s really jumped out."

- BWahlberg

I think Caleb Lyons is earning notoriety and respect. The coaches will make the right decision for the team.

uofmman1122 said:
Word is he earned a full ride scholarship until he caught that horrible pass for -6 yards.

It's a rough world out there.

lol ... it must have been something to see ... lol. At least, he caught the ball ... lol. :cool:

Kenny -

Just because you run the Lakes Lancers Football Facebook page, hyping every single Lancer, doesn't mean Caleb Lyons has earned a full-ride. C'MON MAN :!:

There is a video on Kenny's facebook page, get this, asking "So is Montana ready for Caleb (The Amazing) Lyons? :shock: :?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65ApjQud41E[/youtube]

I like Caleb. He seems like he's going to be a good WR.

But come on. It's spring ball.

Which of these WRs is going to lose or cut his scholarship so Caleb can get one?

Ellis Henderson?
Jamaal Jones?
Chase Naccarato?
Tyler Lucas? (I'm assuming he's getting a scholarship)
Josh Jansen?
Ryan Burke?
Taylor Walcott?

Not to mention some of the stud players that were recruited this year.

If he's seriously worthy of a scholarship, he'll get one eventually. I'm pretty sure those were the terms of him being offered a spot on the football team. Let's see him in an actual game (like most of the players above) before we start crying about it.

mtgrizrule said:

Mariani recieved his scholarship his 4th season with the Griz (Red-Shirt JR).

Anderson recieved his scholarshp his 3rd season with the Griz (Red-Shirt SO).

To be clear to the board, just because I am questioning (HARD) Ken Jones in regards to Lyons having earned a FULL RIDE scholarship, all while the kids is still in his 1st preferred-walkon year :lol:... doesn't imply one way or another what I think about the kid.

I actually think he is pretty good. A small, more quick than fast, kid with good hands. He'll possibly earn a scholarship down the road after the scholarship restrictions are lifted. Time will tell...

uofmman1122 said:

Which of these WRs is going to lose or cut his scholarship so Caleb can get one?

Ellis Henderson?
Jamaal Jones?
Chase Naccarato?
Josh Jansen?
Ryan Burke?
Taylor Walcott?

If he's seriously worthy of a scholarship, he'll get one eventually. I'm pretty sure those were the terms of him being offered a spot on the football team. Let's see him in an actual game (like most of the players above) before we start crying about it.

It was posted on Egriz that Taylor Walcott has retired from football due to injury.

But also on WR scholarship is Marq Rogers and Reese Carlson (rated number 5 receiver in Washington by Northwest Elite Index). I believe WR Nico Graham recieved a partial out of HS.

IntuitiveGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

Ellis Henderson?
Jamaal Jones?
Chase Naccarato?
Josh Jansen?
Ryan Burke?
Taylor Walcott?

It was posted on Egriz that Taylor Walcott has retired from football due to injury.

But also on WR scholarship is Marq Rogers and Reese Carlson (rated number 5 receiver in Washington by Northwest Elite Index). I believe WR Nico Graham recieved a partial out of HS.

Good point, coach Stit did say that he believed "a few" 2015 HS WR scholarship signees could play right away in the fall. It depended on how much depth the team already had. Time will tell...

We have considerable talent at the WR position. We have limited scholarships available for the entire team and the coaches will make the difficult decisions which players will receive full or partial scholarships. It doesn't help a player for some ding bat to post on this board that he should have a full ride scholarship using language like C'mon Man!

AZGrizFan said:
GrizSpartan said:
agreed. Let's stop with this "opinion" crap on eGriz.
That's just your opinion......

Ken Jones said:
"Lyons has lead in receptions in both scrimmages and shown incredible ability to pile up “yards after catch”. He’s been doing kick returns as well. Caleb has a chance to get some time on the field this season. He needs to keep working on blocking and probably not grabbing negative 6 yard passes (ha) but he’s been one of the younger guys that’s really jumped out."

- BWahlberg

I think Caleb Lyons is earning notoriety and respect. The coaches will make the right decision for the team.
If your basing his popularity off of what Wahlberg writes then every student athlete on the Griz deserves a scholarship. They are all bigger, faster, stronger, catch everything, really making a move this spring/fall, opening eyes and whatever other hyperbole you can think of.

Our players have no weaknesses, only strengths.

:coffee:

Back