• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Caleb Lyons doesn't have a full ride? C'mon Man!

THE BETCH said:
My my, what a refreshing thread. Whatever happened to the adults on egriz?
Well if they are certain Griz parents (adults) they are assaulting fans and choking high school kids.

It is Easter

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ajmazzolini/status/586991022816632832[/tweet]

Again, nothing against the kid, but this is why we don't base giving scholarships (or taking them away) just on performance during spring ball.

uofmman1122 said:

Again, nothing against the kid, but this is why we don't base giving scholarships (or taking them away) just on performance during spring ball.
Good thing for Jansenn (3 drops) and Chase (3 or 4 drops) or they'd both be losing theirs?

uofmman1122 said:

RobGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

Good thing for Jansenn (3 drops) and Chase (3 or 4 drops) or they'd both be losing theirs?
Lyons had a couple drops today too. Better not give him a scholly after all. [emoji41]

Allezchat said:
RobGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

Lyons had a couple drops today too. Better not give him a scholly after all. [emoji41]
No Sh1t? I guess that's why we were talking about it maybe??? ALL of our recievers had drops.

:roll:

RobGriz said:
Allezchat said:
RobGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

No Sh1t? I guess that's why we were talking about it maybe??? ALL of our recievers had drops.

If Stitts believes that Caleb Lyons has the potential to be a key player within the Montana program, then Caleb will get a scholarship. If Stitt doesn't see Caleb fitting into the program, then Lyons won't get a scholarship.

From my perspective, Caleb has the talent to be a key player within the UofMontana football program or somewhere else. :cool:

Ken Jones said:
RobGriz said:
Allezchat said:
RobGriz said:

If Stitts believes that Caleb Lyons has the potential to be a key player within the Montana program, then Caleb will get a scholarship. If Stitt doesn't see Caleb fitting into the program, then Lyons won't get a scholarship.

From my perspective, Caleb has the talent to be a key player within the UofMontana football program or somewhere else. :cool:

I don't think that having the potential to be a key player merits a scholarship for a walk-on. Hope Lyons has a better attitude than you and is determined and dedicated to play for the Griz.

PlayerRep said:
Ken Jones said:
RobGriz said:
Allezchat said:

I don't think that having the potential to be a key player merits a scholarship for a walk-on. Hope Lyons has a better attitude than you and is determined and dedicated to play for the Griz.

PR, I am a little confused by your post. For a walk on, I would think the coaching staff believing a player can be a key player would be part of the formula. Showing the potential to be a key player would certainly be a higher priority than not showing the potential. I am sure academics, and off the field behavior are also weighed. As for on the field play, what would be more important than showing the potential to be a key player? Would you mind adding some clarification to this? I am asking not to disagree with you, or be a hard ass, I honestly am a little confused by how you posted that. :thumb:

Did you mean, a walk on should 1st prove to be a key player verses the potential to be a key player that does not prove it?

mtgrizrule said:
PlayerRep said:
Ken Jones said:
RobGriz said:

PR, I am a little confused by your post. For a walk on, I would think the coaching staff believing a player can be a key player would be part of the formula. Showing the potential to be a key player would certainly be a higher priority than not showing the potential. I am sure academics, and off the field behavior are also weighed. As for on the field play, what would be more important than showing the potential to be a key player? Would you mind adding some clarification to this? I am asking not to disagree with you, or be a hard ass, I honestly am a little confused by how you posted that. :thumb:

Did you mean, a walk on should 1st prove to be a key player verses the potential to be a key player that does not prove it?

First, you took out the word "potential" and changed it to "can". That makes a difference.

Second, I think walk-ons often need to "prove" that they can be key, or whatever the right term is. Has Lyons already done that--I don't know. Maybe he has.

Third, scholarships depend on how many other players including receivers are key players or have shown they are close to being key players.

Fourth, the awarding of scholarships depend on the number of scholarships available.

Fifth, with all of the players who have been brought in, I assume a number of scholarships have had to be awarded to them.

Sixth, UM is still short 4 scholarships due to the ncaa.

Seventh, note the discussion on when Mariani got a scholarship. Apparently not until his redshirt junior year. I thought he had been showing huge potential all along. I spotted him in summer workouts after his redshirt year. I thought he was good then and showed alot of potential.

Eighth, note that the thread title calls for a "full ride". FCS allows 63 scholarships. UM is down 4. How many kids do you think have full rides? How many receivers? While Lyons may merit a partial now, I suppose, there is no way he merits a full ride. It just doesn't work that way in FCS and at UM.

As I've said previously, the coaches liked Lyons after seeing him last fall. He has looked good so far this spring. Maybe not so much today, but he wasn't the only one with drops today.

I have full faith in the University of Montana coaching staff making a competent decision about who gets a scholarship and when. After all, they are professional coaches. I would leave it at that.

RECEIVING: Chase Naccarato: 3 for 11; Jamaal Jones: 2 for 86/ TD; Ellis Henderson 3 for 31/TD; Josh Janssen: 1 for 8; Zach Hollenbeck: 3 for 20; Caleb Lyons: 3 for 19; Spring: 2 for 14; Nguyen: 4 for 8; Jeffery Salamon: 3 for 22; Ryan Burke: 2 for 9/TD; Carlson: 4 for 44/TD.

WRs with touchdowns:

Jamall Jones
Ellis Henderson
Ryan Burke
Reese Carlson

WRs with the most yards:

Jamall Jones
Ellis Henderson
Reese Carlson
Jeffery Salamon
Zach Hollenbeck

Player..........excellent post. My son's coach in another conference told me once that potential means nothing. A player has to prove himself on the field or court.

Spanky said:
Player..........excellent post. My son's coach in another conference told me once that potential means nothing. A player has to prove himself on the field or court.

Most athletic scholarships are awarded based on potential. :cool: Preferred walk-ons are awarded the status 'cause they have the potential to earn a scholarship. :) Some walk-ons have the potential to earn scholarships too. :clap: Potential is the key to unlock the door to opportunity. After his red-shirt year, Caleb Lyons is showing the potential to earn an athletic scholarship with his performances in 2015 spring ball. :)

Ken Jones said:
Spanky said:

Most athletic scholarships are awarded based on potential. :cool: Preferred walk-ons are awarded the status 'cause they have the potential to earn a scholarship. :) Some walk-ons have the potential to earn scholarships too. :clap: Potential is the key to unlock the door to opportunity. After his red-shirt year, Caleb Lyons is showing the potential to earn an athletic scholarship with his performances in 2015 spring ball. :)

I'm pulling for the kid.

But he has averaged this spring 5 yards a catch in one scrimmage, 4 yards a catch in another scrimmage, and 6 yards a catch this final spring scrimmage.

Long ways to go for a full-ride. :twocents:

IntuitiveGriz said:
Ken Jones said:
Spanky said:

I'm pulling for the kid.

But he has averaged this spring 5 yards a catch in one scrimmage, 4 yards a catch in another scrimmage, and 6 yards a catch this final spring scrimmage.

There's a summer camp to go ... I'm looking forward to Caleb Lyons getting some playing time in 2015 as a special team players, receiver or both.

Ken Jones said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Ken Jones said:
Spanky said:

I'm pulling for the kid.

There's a summer camp to go ... I'm looking forward to Caleb Lyons getting some playing time in 2015 as a special team players, receiver or both.

:thumb: :D

Ken Jones said:
Spanky said:

That's not true for kids who are walk-ons. Kids who are already in the program have to show more than potential. They have to do something in practice, scrimmages and/or in games. I agree that Lyons has shown potential to earn playing time and a scholarship. In fact, he may have shown more than potential. That doesn't mean that he's going to get a partial right away, and I can't imagine that he's in line for a full ride at this point.

Back