• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Justin Roper on Vernon Adams, Montana, and FCS vs FBS

BWahlberg

DONOR
Written by a UM grad as well, interesting little read.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/09/what_awaits_vernon_adams_jr_wi.html#incart_river

Shouldn't take you a whole season to adjust (or not adjust) to a different speed of play. He was a flop, plain and simple.

BWahlberg said:
Written by a UM grad as well, interesting little read.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/09/what_awaits_vernon_adams_jr_wi.html#incart_river

Roper passes the buck a lot in that article. Like, for more yards than he did on the field.

Very interesting perspective and this answers some of my questions. My first thought is that if he has always been a Duck in his heart, the Grizzly never made it in there . . . or in his head.

What's a little funny is his comments that basically suggest inferior WRs at Montana. Now first and foremost, YES, Oregon's WRs (probably most of their backups and even the 3rd string guys) are better than most of the starters the Griz had. However in 2009 he had Marc Mariani and Jabin Sambrano to throw to. In 2010 Mariani was gone but Antwon Moutra from UCLA transferred to the Griz and Sambrano was coming into his own that year.

He had above average FCS talent (two of which either played or are playing in the NFL) and a drop-down Pac12 WR to throw to.

It's speed," Roper said. "It's the speed of every player, not just the secondary and the receivers. Defensive linemen and tacklers are a lot faster at the D-1 level. Linebackers are a lot faster."

I stopped reading right there.

Don't honestly care much what he's got to say after proving himself a complete idiot.

OK, I did read ONE more paragraph:

"Throws you were able to make at Eastern Washington may not translate," Roper said. "It could be the same route, the same type of corner route, but the throw you make is different. I very rarely had any arc or touch on any throw I made at Oregon. Every throw had to be zoomed in there really fast because windows close quickly. When I was at Montana, I had to adjust my throwing style because I was used to windows closing quickly and hitting people right out of their breaks on routes. It didn't really happen like that at Montana."

So THAT explains why he struggled here....everything happened so SLOWLY that big, bad Roper had to adjust his throwing style and slow shit down to the point that he struggled.

What a fucking joke.

"I very rarely had any arc or touch on any throw I made at Oregon".
Hey just like for the GRIZ, overthroper.
He will still be remembered for being the worst.
Suck it ducks.

And those throws VA was making sure seemed to work against Oregon State and UW with "slower" players...

UND at Montana several years ago. Griz clinging to a small lead just before halftime. 4th and inches at the north 47 yard line, going south. Staff goes for it on fourth down, calls a PASSING PLAY, and Roper promptly trips over his feet in the backfield as he drops back to pass. Everything about that play sucked, especially his execution of it.

Than why when he got back to throwing to players of his "elite" caliber for Georgias pro day...did they have to find another QB because he couldnt even hit a pass?????

I also love how he talks about the receivers not being as fast...oh ya...Marc Mariani justg wasn't quite quick enough for ya Roper??? Another funny note..Selles still kicking his ass in the football world...look at where the two are coaching and compare....anser to that..Roper was a moronic douche bag...and anyone who was ever around the guy knows it.

AZGrizFan said:
And those throws VA was making sure seemed to work against Oregon State and UW with "slower" players...
Thank you. My thought exactly.

Given the chance, Adams lit up some Pac-12 secondaries ... even if his EWU receivers didn't [supposedly] have the speed. Hmmm. He may have some trouble getting the most out of the OU playbook at first. But if the OC gives him a good play package to start with, I see no reason he can't do it again with Duck receivers and backs.

Obviously it was more of an Oregon-tailored story, so I couldn't spend too much time on his stint in Montana, but here are some leftovers:

On transfering to Montana: "I still wonder, 'What if I stayed?' But I don't regret leaving at all. It was a lot of fun in Montana. My decision to go there helped me as a person, player and coach. It was a lot of fun to experience a different part of the country."

On Bob Stitt: "I didn't get to watch the full game, just the end. That's the type of Montana team that I'm used to, the one that everyone fears. It's kind of a little swagger. They don't care who you are. You'll come here (Wash/Griz) and it's not what you'll think it will be."

IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Thank you. My thought exactly.

Given the chance, Adams lit up some Pac-12 secondaries ... even if his EWU receivers didn't [supposedly] have the speed. Hmmm. He may have some trouble getting the most out of the OU playbook at first. But if the OC gives him a good play package to start with, I see no reason he can't do it again with Duck receivers and backs.
But you have to realize he was using his more familiar slower team and not his new better faster team, that is why he did so well.

Wow....look at everybody throw Roper under the bus. Ironically when he was sitting on the bench 80% of egriz was screaming for him to play, get him in there. Now many of those same supporters are on the bandwagon of hate.

EverettGriz said:
For what it's worth, I'm glad he considers himself a duck and not a GRIZ. GRIZ have heart.

:clap: a million times. Obviously Montana was far beneath him and his skill level. :roll:

ordigger said:
Wow....look at everybody throw Roper under the bus. Ironically when he was sitting on the bench 80% of egriz was screaming for him to play, get him in there. Now many of those same supporters are on the bandwagon of hate.

Yah...that was just the uninformed fans that have never played the game....or go by ordigger...

Back