• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Justin Roper on Vernon Adams, Montana, and FCS vs FBS

mtgrizrule said:
WOW, some of us just cannot put things behind us regarding a former GRIZ. Big deal, he fell short of playing expectations at the collegiate level. Why bash the guy years later? When he was at Montana, he was in his early 20's. Seriously, no need to be bashing this guy the way some are. I am happy he is earning a respectful like most of us, and not in trouble with the law.

Good luck to Justin Roper, wherever life takes him.

Good luck to him, however, I think he is the one resurrecting his play at Montana and bashing the FCS. Saying the talent was a step slow and not having receivers the FBS caliber. Read the thread again and you will see he was playing with receivers who were in the FBS, he just didn't make plays. Too bad he could not let it go without bashing the FCS....VA did just fine with FCS talent to lay some serious offense on OSU and UW. I think he will be OK

mtgrizrule said:
WOW, some of us just cannot put things behind us regarding a former GRIZ. Big deal, he fell short of playing expectations at the collegiate level. Why bash the guy years later? When he was at Montana, he was in his early 20's. Seriously, no need to be bashing this guy the way some are. I am happy he is earning a respectful like most of us, and not in trouble with the law.

Good luck to Justin Roper, wherever life takes him.

It has nothing to do with "playing expectations" and everything to do with his stupid excuses about why he wasn't even successful at the (apparently) non-Division 1 level of football. I mean really....because THE GAME WAS TOO SLOW??? That is fucking comical right there...

AZGrizFan said:
ordigger said:
Wow....look at everybody throw Roper under the bus. Ironically when he was sitting on the bench 80% of egriz was screaming for him to play, get him in there. Now many of those same supporters are on the bandwagon of hate.

Nope. Not this 80%. Selle was always the better option and him going down early in that 2010 season absolutely KILLED Pflu's chances of a decent season.

I remember some great football mind made a post about Selle getting injured as Sellebration. The moron thought the Griz were better off with Selle injured.

Tyson Alger said:
Obviously it was more of an Oregon-tailored story, so I couldn't spend too much time on his stint in Montana, but here are some leftovers:

On transfering to Montana: "I still wonder, 'What if I stayed?' But I don't regret leaving at all. It was a lot of fun in Montana. My decision to go there helped me as a person, player and coach. It was a lot of fun to experience a different part of the country."

On Bob Stitt: "I didn't get to watch the full game, just the end. That's the type of Montana team that I'm used to, the one that everyone fears. It's kind of a little swagger. They don't care who you are. You'll come here (Wash/Griz) and it's not what you'll think it will be."

Thanks for the extra insight. Some of it did come across as sour-grapes. One has to wonder, though, how it would have been had Bobby just made a decision to go with one quarterback from the get go if that would have made a difference in performance/confidence. Though you can also wonder why the QBs on '09 couldn't step up and separate themselves (until Selle did in the playoffs)? I don't really have ill-will towards Roper, but I had wished Selle had been the man from the get-go. He had the fire that didn't seem to be there with Roper.

I'm also a little surprised you frequent this board, Tyson!

PeauxRouge said:
Tyson Alger said:
Obviously it was more of an Oregon-tailored story, so I couldn't spend too much time on his stint in Montana, but here are some leftovers:

On transfering to Montana: "I still wonder, 'What if I stayed?' But I don't regret leaving at all. It was a lot of fun in Montana. My decision to go there helped me as a person, player and coach. It was a lot of fun to experience a different part of the country."

On Bob Stitt: "I didn't get to watch the full game, just the end. That's the type of Montana team that I'm used to, the one that everyone fears. It's kind of a little swagger. They don't care who you are. You'll come here (Wash/Griz) and it's not what you'll think it will be."

Thanks for the extra insight. Some of it did come across as sour-grapes. One has to wonder, though, how it would have been had Bobby just made a decision to go with one quarterback from the get go if that would have made a difference in performance/confidence. Though you can also wonder why the QBs on '09 couldn't step up and separate themselves (until Selle did in the playoffs)? I don't really have ill-will towards Roper, but I had wished Selle had been the man from the get-go. He had the fire that didn't seem to be there with Roper.

Brint tipped me off on Twitter that the story was getting some traction over here. Hadn't been over here in a while. Glad to see Griz talk is strong as ever.

I guess there are some unresolved issues with this guy Roper and some fans in Griz nation. But really, what did he say about the speed of the game that isn't true? I sensed a little FBS envy from some of you.....the guy basically admitted that he didn't meet expectations at either level. No need to get "thin skinned" over his comments.

Tyson Alger said:
PeauxRouge said:
Tyson Alger said:

Brint tipped me off on Twitter that the story was getting some traction over here. Hadn't been over here in a while. Glad to see Griz talk is strong as ever.

Welcome back Tyson. Visit more often

CV Griz Fan said:
I guess there are some unresolved issues with this guy Roper and some fans in Griz nation. But really, what did he say about the speed of the game that isn't true? I sensed a little FBS envy from some of you.....the guy basically admitted that he didn't meet expectations at either level. No need to get "thin skinned" over his comments.

:thumb: :clap:

The behavior in this thread is stomach turning, act like adults and quit denegrating a former player.

BWahlberg said:
Written by a UM grad as well, interesting little read.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/09/what_awaits_vernon_adams_jr_wi.html#incart_river
I think that Vernon Adams has proved that he can play at the FBS level.

How 'Loper' ever got rated highly enough for FBS attention still mystifies me. Now I know he has a ten cent head to match his proven skills.

kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
Roper---Swogger.....Swogger---Roper....
Swogger better than Roper. At least he beat MSU and got us to the quarters.

Kem - sure you noted your avatar, @ auction, went for more than a half million in the last day or two. Did you keep your old one?

Back