• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

16 1/2

This was one of the more gripping games I've seen in a while. We don't go to OT if Krslovic doesn't get the steal on that in-bounds pass late in the second half and we would be sitting 12-1 instead of 13-0 in league play. Everyone stepped up when they needed to and that was all the difference in this OT win. Great teams aren't always great; they're great when they have to be.

And Sac State coach Brian Katz should be lucky he didn't get himself ejected (which carries an automatic one-game suspension). There were quite a few instances where he should gotten at least a technical foul for going full-Jim Harbaugh but the officials didn't whistle him for one.

griz71 said:
LivingstonNative said:
fanofzoo said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:
Either that or it should go to the student section! They brought it tonight, they should get credit for at least one if not two of the FT misses

Yes lets give it up for the students. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I’ll second that! :clap:
Anyone know what the attendance was for th game?

Only 360 were students. :oops:

MissoulaCanucksFan said:
This was one of the more gripping games I've seen in a while. We don't go to OT if Krslovic doesn't get the steal on that in-bounds pass late in the second half and we would be sitting 12-1 instead of 13-0 in league play. Everyone stepped up when they needed to and that was all the difference in this OT win. Great teams aren't always great; they're great when they have to be.

And Sac State coach Brian Katz should be lucky he didn't get himself ejected (which carries an automatic one-game suspension). There were quite a few instances where he should gotten at least a technical foul for going full-Jim Harbaugh but the officials didn't whistle him for one.

Krslovic had a very good game. His defense against Strings in the second half was very good. Not sure UM would have won without his D. Strings had 21, but on 9-24 shooting and with 6 turnovers. Strings had 12 points in about the first 10 minutes or so, and then was held in check.

Jaredkuehn said:
Kadeezy said:
Refs deciding this one late. Sad.

Hmm, were you there? Strings was hip checking our ball handlers all night, they finally called it at the end of regulation.

Multiple missed traveling calls on Sac St.

Missed a pretty obvious goal tend in n Sac St.

Jamar Akoh got the shit beat out of him in the paint. Sac St fouled out two bigs “defending” him, but there plenty more no-calls in the paint.

Your going to put this one on the refs? Really?

SAC missed plenty of opportunities (inbounds turnover, missed free throws, layups). But, even the Montana announcers on TV we’re talking about bad calls going against the Hornets towards the end of regulation and OT. Bottom line is SAC didn’t do enough to win at Montana, just frustrating that it always seems like you need to beat the Griz and their reputation to leave Missoula victorious.

MissoulaCanucksFan said:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/962535146518802432[/tweet]

PlayerRep said:
MissoulaCanucksFan said:

Krslovic had a very good game. His defense against Strings in the second half was very good. Not sure UM would have won without his D. Strings had 21, but on 9-24 shooting and with 6 turnovers. Strings had 12 points in about the first 10 minutes or so, and then was held in check.
this was a point of emphasis from TDC, saying that Strings would get his points but the key was to make him less efficient getting there, taking away potential looks and points from his teammates. I agree with you, Krslovic's D was one of the keys to the game and it was right out of coach's game plan!

grizzlyjournal said:
MissoulaCanucksFan said:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/962535146518802432[/tweet]

I didn't notice many bad calls going against SS. There were more than went against UM, including a number of no calls on shots. Too many foul calls in first half, but not as many after that.

What's an example of a bad call against SS later in the game?

and let's remember that we, when the Griz are on road, always see "fair, equal" refs in the "nest" or "bird-cage" or whatever they call the shoe box in Sac!

Kadeezy said:
Jaredkuehn said:
Kadeezy said:

Hmm, were you there? Strings was hip checking our ball handlers all night, they finally called it at the end of regulation.

Jamar Akoh got the shit beat out of him in the paint. Sac St fouled out two bigs “defending” him, but there plenty more no-calls in the paint.

SAC missed plenty of opportunities (inbounds turnover, missed free throws, layups). But, even the Montana announcers on TV we’re talking about bad calls going against the Hornets towards the end of regulation and OT. Bottom line is SAC didn’t do enough to win at Montana, just frustrating that it always seems like you need to beat the Griz and their reputation to leave Missoula victorious.
Yes, because home cooking ONLY happens in Missoula.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kadeezy said:
Jaredkuehn said:
Kadeezy said:

Get out of here with that. SAC beat the Griz in Dahlberg last year. We couldn’t stop Strings.

It was a great game and ya got beat. Take your medicine.

First and foremost Katz is one of the best coaches in the conference. I have a tremendous amount of respect for what he has done at Sac State. He is damn intense on the floor and last night he gets those players of his to match his intensity. He's a dang good defensive mindand it showed last night. Sac State is NOT the least talented team in the conference, and Strings is one five or ten best players in the conference.

For the first time in almost two months, you saw a Grizzly team offensively settle for some pretty marginal shots. Some I would say are a bit guilty in the second half of trying to get everything back in one possession. Travis got them settled, and possession after possession they found a way to feed Akoh and Krysolovic in the paint. They had plenty of good looks, and missed a number of point blank ones. Sac State did a great job at condensing their defense (packing the key), to prevent Rorie and Oguine access to the rim. The ball movement was a bit more stale and give credit to Sac State for not giving a lot of seams to the hoop. They settled for a lot one pass three's last night, more than I had seen since the pre-conference games. Simply they had to work hard to get shots and had a lot of contested jumpers. Kudo's to Sac State.

Montana excels in speeding teams up on offense, and last night they couldn't. Sac slowed the pace, limited breakouts (only 11 turn overs) and got good quality shots. Their posts skipped the ball out of double teams well, and their 3pt shooting was beyond exceptional last night. They didn't crash the boards on the offensive end and had guys (typically two or three) back on defense. That is a pretty recipe for slowing the game down.

Katz has a point about the officiating. We know it is inconsistent, they tightened up late in the game on certain things but not others. The hedge foul that sent Kryslo to the line was dubious (considering it had gone on much of the night), as was the over the back on the other end a few possessions before. They make free throws in the last two minutes, his point is moot.

Idaho is likely the only team in the conference who can duplicate that type of game plan. I don't think Weber State can, though I wouldn't put it past a Rahe coached team to find a way to do that. They don't strike me as being as good defensively as they had been in years past. Nor does Idaho for that matter, but they have good wings and length that can cause problems.

They found a way to win, and that is all that matters. Not sure that would have happened the past two years. Ugly, but they won. Great effort by both teams.

PlayerRep said:
I didn't notice many bad calls going against SS. There were more than went against UM, including a number of no calls on shots. Too many foul calls in first half, but not as many after that.

What's an example of a bad call against SS later in the game?
One that may have stuck out for me was in OT when Moorehead got tripped up under the basket by Chibueze Jacobs with 2:21 in OT (which was a Sac State possession), got called for the foul in the process and Katz went full Harbaugh. I had to rewatch the OT period on watchbigsky.com to dig the play up.

Now I am in no way trying to bash Brian Katz, I think he's a very underrated coach and does a great job with talent that doesn't match the caliber that Montana or Weber State would have. And I admire he brings a great deal of intensity and his teams have to feed off of it so they can compete in even tough games (like the one they played in just last night), but there are times where intensity gets the better of a good coach and last night was a perfect example.

Kadeezy said:
Bottom line is SAC didn’t do enough to win at Montana, just frustrating...

Bottom line is SAC didn't do enough to win at Idaho, Eastern Washington, Weber State, Idaho State nor Montana State, either. For a team with a 6 - 19 record, you sure have delusions of grandeur.

Grizfan-24 said:
First and foremost Katz is one of the best coaches in the conference. I have a tremendous amount of respect for what he has done at Sac State. He is damn intense on the floor and last night he gets those players of his to match his intensity. He's a dang good defensive mindand it showed last night. Sac State is NOT the least talented team in the conference, and Strings is one five or ten best players in the conference.

For the first time in almost two months, you saw a Grizzly team offensively settle for some pretty marginal shots. Some I would say are a bit guilty in the second half of trying to get everything back in one possession. Travis got them settled, and possession after possession they found a way to feed Akoh and Krysolovic in the paint. They had plenty of good looks, and missed a number of point blank ones. Sac State did a great job at condensing their defense (packing the key), to prevent Rorie and Oguine access to the rim. The ball movement was a bit more stale and give credit to Sac State for not giving a lot of seams to the hoop. They settled for a lot one pass three's last night, more than I had seen since the pre-conference games. Simply they had to work hard to get shots and had a lot of contested jumpers. Kudo's to Sac State.

Montana excels in speeding teams up on offense, and last night they couldn't. Sac slowed the pace, limited breakouts (only 11 turn overs) and got good quality shots. Their posts skipped the ball out of double teams well, and their 3pt shooting was beyond exceptional last night. They didn't crash the boards on the offensive end and had guys (typically two or three) back on defense. That is a pretty recipe for slowing the game down.

Katz has a point about the officiating. We know it is inconsistent, they tightened up late in the game on certain things but not others. The hedge foul that sent Kryslo to the line was dubious (considering it had gone on much of the night), as was the over the back on the other end a few possessions before. They make free throws in the last two minutes, his point is moot.

Idaho is likely the only team in the conference who can duplicate that type of game plan. I don't think Weber State can, though I wouldn't put it past a Rahe coached team to find a way to do that. They don't strike me as being as good defensively as they had been in years past. Nor does Idaho for that matter, but they have good wings and length that can cause problems.

They found a way to win, and that is all that matters. Not sure that would have happened the past two years. Ugly, but they won. Great effort by both teams.

thats a pretty good break down of the game. :thumb:

Grizfan-24 said:

Wel said.

Fortunately, I unexpectedly got to attend this game. Thanks to work moving my start time to Sunday Morning.
Despite inconsistent shooting from both teams, I really enjoyed the competitiveness of the teams, and an epic OT game. It was good to see the GRIZ win a tight contested game, with the defense having to come up BIG!!!

Michael Oguine is impressing me more and more. I posted a few times that I needed to see him establish a consistent 3 pt shot, and show the ability to play PG, when needed. Well, he has proven to me he can do both, at least from the college 3 point line, and beginning to learn how to create for others. With another year to build his skills, I honestly will not be surprised to see him get a legitimate chance at the NBA. His defense and athleticism are already NBA caliber. If he adds a little more range, with consistency, and continues to progress his passing abilities, he very well could make the NBA.

As for his running mate at guard, Ahmad Rorie is just fine, despite some 3 point struggles. I really am not going too concerned with his 3 point inconsistency. Mechanically, his shot still looks good and smooth. His misses are rimmers and in then outs, for the most part. He is not forcing his shots. He needs to continue shooting the shots he gets. That threat is important to keep his penetrating and dishing at a high level. I honestly would not put restraints on him. He is too good of a player to not break out of the slump. He is also a very hard working dedicated player. He has a lot of pride in his game and leadership. To his doubters, I see why you are doubting his shooting. However, from coaching standpoint, you have to believe in him, being his shot is still looking good, and his misses are not terrible. I am expecting him to break out of his shooting slump soon.

As much as I love Akoh in the post and rebounding, he needs to convert more often inside with this opportunities. I actually think he can easily do just that. I don't why or how, but he has gotten into the habit of often shortarming/shotputting his shots from inside 7 feet, that are not lay ins or dunks. He appears to be in a hurry to get his shot off (could be as a result of wanting to beat double teams and the banging). He needs to get back to extending his shooting hand fully, and keep the ball coming off his fingertips. Too many of his shots appear to be coming off the middle of his fingers, or even his palm. Again, nothing to get too worried about. Being he has a good touch from the FT line, I feel the coaches will take care of this pretty easily. He just needs a lot of shooting reps with all types of shots.

Speaking of post players, Krslovic has really developed a nice feathery touch with his jump hooks. It looks to me that he actually can be called on to score more, if and when needed. His help defense and defensive awareness is top notch. I've heard many commentators and coaches mention that he is the best post defender in the conference as for holding position and being in the right places. He just isn't a true shotblocker.

Bobby Moorehead continues to amaze me. The kid has become a defensive stopper, good rebounder, and really doesn't care what role he plays offensively. His attitude has to be contagious for his team. He is an unsung leader, that leads by example. Keep in mind, he is so much more capable of scoring more. I'd love to see him have another breakout scoring game, with 15+ points and 4+ 3 pt shots. I wonder if Travis will run more plays for him, being he has been pretty consistent from 3 this season?

Why were the UND and Sac games closer than expected? (1) Rorie stuggling offensively has accounted for about 10 less points per game. (2) Falls and Nicholas are showing some typical Freshman inconsistencies. In tight games, a coach has to have a shorter leash with letdowns. Being those games were close, it had to be hard for Travis to give the time to get through some struggles. Falls seems to be having a few careless turnovers and fouls of late. Nicholas, seems to be a little tentative on offense. I have not seen either struggling in defensive responsibilities. Then again, I have no idea what DeCuire is calling for in the defensive responsibilities. Little things like that are also common for Freshmen players.

Defensively, the steals by Krslovic (end of regulation), then Rorie (OT sideline deflection to Oguine) were as huge of defensive plays the GRIZ have had all season. Granted, the team has had so many key defensive plays this season, it is hard to not credit them for that. Due to the blow out nature of Wins, many of those plays can get lost in the shuffle. Those 2 steals really reminded me of the clutch steals Will Cherry would come up with time and time again, throughout his career. He seemed make those kind of steals most every game. I feel Oguine and Rorie are each capable of those kind of defensive plays every game. Yet, the gambling mentality does not pay off with the questionable officiating in this conference.

This fan is becoming more and more convinced in the potential of this team for this and next season. I am so proud of this team. Especially how hard they play and the pride they take in their performance every damn second of every game. Here is to a successful road trip against EWU and Idaho this weekend. Keep it going, GRIZ!!!!!!

I forgot to mention, how impressed I am by Sac State. They are one of those teams that you can say "they are better than their record". They showed a lot of toughness and grit. They also have some good length and agility, which could lead to a consistent defensive team. Maybe Kadeezy can comment further, but it appears to me, they are lacking the belief they can win. To me, all they need is more consistency and confidence. I hope they find those things for rest of the season and can play spoiler. As long they don't play spoiler against the GRIZ.

Follow up from Andrew Houhgton

GRIZ HOOPS NOTEBOOK: Strategy, Oguine dunk push Griz past Sac State
https://skylinesportsmt.com/griz-hoops-notebook-strategy-oguine-dunk-push-griz-past-sac-state/

Latest posts

Back