• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2015 Griz Football Recruiting- 4 Transfers/ 17 Verbals/ 4 WO's

bigkid said:
With the scholarship reductions Montana kids will be walking on if they want to be a Griz. In my estimation few with get much assistance.
Not necessarily. Last year we had 9 signees and 5 of them were MT kids. We got some very good out of state kids to walk on, some of which had schollie offers to other schools.

Man I love recruiting! Used to play NCAA football and sim the seasons just so I could do the recruiting. A big thank you to everyone that contributes to this board in the months that come and obviously huge thank you to Nike for the start and Payton for getting the hint to start the thread! :lol: Truly appreciate all the time it takes to do this.

AZGrizFan said:
CrunchGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
NikeGrizz said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/_undertheradar_/status/472464470019563520[/tweet]
for everyone knocking on this kid for being 5'11 should watch this. kids a beast

Can't recall the last time a saw a QB who was so accurate while throwing on the run. And holy crap is that kid fast.

What struck me was how good his touch passes were. I realize it's his highlight video, but he was droppin' dimes all over the place. Maybe not the biggest arm in the world, but great escapability (not a word, I know), accuracy on the run, and touch.

One thing I liked: every pass was on a ROPE. Even when running left, or throwing across his body....he had some zip on that ball.

That kid can play some damn football! Hope he likes Maroon and Silver!

AZGrizFan said:
NikeGrizz said:
for everyone knocking on this kid for being 5'11 should watch this. kids a beast

Can't recall the last time a saw a QB who was so accurate while throwing on the run. And holy crap is that kid fast.
I suspect he had some not-so accurate throws that did not make the reel....

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
NikeGrizz said:

I suspect he some not-so accurate throws that did not make the reel....

Well, he has an almost 72% completion rate....so, not TOO many I suspect. :cool: ;)

Buttegrizzle said:
I know I'm a homer but I'd like to see Dalton Daum on that list. Anyone who watched AA High school football can see he was a huge part of Dallas Cook's runaway passing numbers. Also of course the fastest 100m kid in the history of montana track... But let's see if he wants to walk on?

The Griz want him. Daum, will be a lock to be a 3-time Class AA All State football player, and a 4-time All State track athlete (with 4 state podium finishes in 100M).

I'd say he's even in the running for the Montana Gatorade Player of the Year in football...I'm biased, yes, but the numbers will put him in contention, not my bias.

Info on in-state guys is the hardest info to find. I find it hard to believe that both UM and the other guys have not offered Daum. But until its in print or his social page... we wait

[tweet]https://twitter.com/sleeperathletes/status/474265272812331009[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/mbasports1/status/474256352177451008[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/villanueva_____/status/474237394103717888[/tweet]

Paytonlives said:
Info on in-state guys is the hardest info to find. I find it hard to believe that both UM and the other guys have not offered Daum. But until its in print or his social page... we wait

Right on, Paytonlives. Thanks for the thread btw.

Here's an article where the word "interest" is used for Daum: http://mtstandard.com/sports/i-think-it-s-my-time-butte-high-s-daum/article_1631e750-e7b8-11e3-95cf-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May 30, 2014 1:00 am • By Alan Dale The Montana Standard
(0) Comments

Butte High’s track and field program has fought for higher roster numbers in recent times.

As the boys and girls in purple and white compete in the Class AA state track finals, today and Saturday at Memorial Stadium in Great Falls, they more than make up for their lack of numbers with quality.

Junior Dalton Daum, arguably one of the highest recruited athletes from Butte in recent years, has enjoyed a season that has combined great talent with purpose and redemption.

Daum finished second in the state 100 meters and 200 meters as a freshman. Despite running even faster — 10.84 and 21.62 seconds respectively — the following year, he was left to settle for third-place finishes at the end of his sophomore season.

“There were just faster kids I guess,” he said. “I don’t think that happens too often but then there are some kids who come out of nowhere.”

Daum dropped his 100 mark to as low as 10.66 seconds this season, while his best time in the 200 has been 21.78. Both times are ranked No. 1 in the state heading into this weekend’s finals.

“I am hoping it’s my time. I really think it is,” Daum said. “I have been telling myself I am tired of second and third, and this is my time. I just really want to win. That would be sweet.”

Daum came into the year with an obvious sense of purpose and has not been denied in seeking what he believes to be rightfully his: the title of the state’s best sprinter.

“The one thing that has Dalton ahead of everyone else is that he is such a competitor,” Butte High coach Arie Grey said. “He’s real quiet, doesn’t say a whole lot, but when it’s time to compete he puts his game face on.

“The ones that say they want to win are just saying it but with Dalton, he just goes out and does it. He doesn’t talk about it, he doesn’t worry about it, he just does it.”

Daum also has a chance to bask in state glory as a member of the 4x100- and 4x400-meter relay teams. Running the second leg of the 4x400 relay last weekend, Daum propelled his team from last to first with a blazing leg of 49.3 seconds, helping Butte High claim the Eastern AA championship in the event.

“We needed a time like his and a big burst like that to put us up front,” senior teammate Clay Dean said. “He just wanted it really bad. Sometimes he acts like he doesn’t care but when he gets out there he just wants to win and beat everyone. It was crazy seeing him go to first to last. That’s when we realized we could really win.”

“I told him all along that he is a 400 guy,” Grey said. “He didn’t want to hear that because of that sprinter mentality. You look at that 4-by-4 run and that gave him more confidence to know that he can step up.

“He has a big weekend ahead of him.”

Daum’s improvement has been largely due to a different mental approach.

“My starts have improved a lot last year after not being the best out of the blocks last year,” Daum said. “I am running a lot more smoothly and relaxed, not so tense, and that’s helped a lot. The last two years, I was always a tense runner with my fist clenched and you would see my veins popping out of my neck.

“Coach (Charlie) Merrifield told me to stay relaxed, focus on the finish line and wiggle my fingers to keep me relaxed and that’s helped a lot.”

Many of track and field’s successful athletes spend countless hours working on their respective events to become better. Daum spends a lot of his time as a member of the Butte Miners, a local American Legion baseball team.

Daum’s success has come while also being a member of the baseball team. His athletic gifts in football and track have led to some serious attention from colleges. Colorado State, Montana, Montana State and Harvard have expressed football interest while Daum has received a number of letters from collegiate track programs.

“He’s not just a fast guy, he’s an athlete,” Grey said. “He can play any sport there is out there. He plays football. He plays basketball. He’d probably be a great wrestler. He’s not just a speed guy, he’s also a smart athlete too. He is smart enough to know where to put himself to suceed. He is a great student as well which also helps.”

With all the different options on how to spend what little spare time he has, Daum has remained focused.

“It keeps me busy,” he said. “I go from school, to track, to baseball. “That’s how I have been my whole life. I get pretty used to it and don’t get much of a break.

“For the most part I do enjoy it. Sometimes it does take a toll on you after a while. My main focus is track because we still have a long baseball season ahead of us.”

Known for his calm and relaxed demeanor, Daum’s cool – which he believes is a family trait – can only come in handy this weekend.

“My whole family is pretty much like that and I got that mostly from them,” he said. “You might as well stay calm and go with the flow. That’s how I see it.”

Dean, for one, is looking forward to watching Daum compete.

“He’s just a great guy and takes everything positively,” Dean said. “Nothing seems to bother the kid and when the pressure comes on, he just goes out and competes. He just does what he does best. He puts everything toward his work and the more motivation it gives him, the better.”

A follow up to the above pre-state track meet article... Daum won the 100M and 200M sprints.

I say this because the TV news outlets in Missoula, Bozeman and Great Falls (that broadcast in Butte) only reported the 100M victory, and did not report on the 200M victory.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/nathanj53/status/475500261323321344[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/r_bowers12/status/475506485451972608[/tweet]

Not saying we don't go after out of state kids. Seems like we are
Recruiting out of state more than local kids. Heard Bobkitty's and
Carroll and others are banging down doors locally? Where's our local
Kids?? We're missing the boat I think, the other state schools are swarming
Our stand out local kids.. Just my opinion from what I'm seeing

grizfan442 said:
Not saying we don't go after out of state kids. Seems like we are
Recruiting out of state more than local kids. Heard Bobkitty's and
Carroll and others are banging down doors locally? Where's our local
Kids?? We're missing the boat I think, the other state schools are swarming
Our stand out local kids.. Just my opinion from what I'm seeing

Relax...
Its been this way for 20 years, The Griz get the players they want (for the most part)

Last year we had a parent/uncle on here bashing UM because they did not contact his son. It seems that no Big sky team did because he ended up at Carroll.

Remember its all about needs Right now UM is looking to get
4-6 OL Prospects
7-8 D/LB's Big and Fast
2-4 WR that can flat out fly.
3-4 S/CB that are fast
1-2 QB's

I dont know how many Montana Players fit the bill, and BTW most Montana football players star in thier Senior year, so its hard to offer ones that have not bloomed.

Late into the fall last year there we posters on here ripping UM about not having Montana Players verbals. Yet come signing day, all were amazed at the number of Montana players coming to UM.

So just relax... all in good time, UM will get Montana Players and I for one hope that Mr. Daum is one of them.

new lb offer http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=7693510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

would also like to point out we have offered 4 defensive players from the same high school in Berkley California (St. Mary's College HS)
CB-Roman Grace
S-Ron Smith
LB - Aaron Mercadel
LB - Ben Schrider

Back