• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2015 Talent

Ugh... wandering into this argument here since it's a typical hand grenade that Alpha tosses, however... There's more that a little bit to support his argument. The main factor is... the unknown.

We've seen this before in 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and a little bit in 2013. We had a lot of long-time starters and contributors leave in key positions leaving a lot of unknown players to take the helm. Add in a new system on offense, new coaches, new S&T program... I can see it.

Go down the line:

QB: We have 6 guys who I think only one has actually started a college game and many who haven't completed a pass in a game at the college level yet.

RB: Our main producing running backs from the last 3 years are gone and now we're looking at a stable of all new guys.

WR: A solid group but a changing system has some question marks and if we can't find a QB to get them the ball... who knows how productive they'll actually be.

TE: Kind of sort of doesn't exist anymore?

OL: Mixed bag, obviously having Schmaing and Weyer back is key. Hopefully Dietrich & Reese keep improving and we see Tood, Luke, and a few others rise to the occasion.

DL: Biggest drop-off due to graduation. Not to say that Kidder, Peevey, and Crittenden (the guys I presume will replace Takai, Rehm, and Wags) won't be great... or even better. But at this point you can't just say those three are "more talented" than the guys they're replacing

LB: Good talent here, can't say it's a bad group at all. Very deep and experienced.

CB: I think our corners get a rough go of it because we now expect every corner to be the next Trumaine Johnson and when they aren't... we tear them to shreds. No corner is mistake free and no one gets singled out more than our corners and safeties do when being criticized on here. Harris is a good corner that I'd put on a Houston Roots or Tuff Harris type of level. Beyond that we've got JR Nelson who played a bunch and then some red shirted freshman and sophomores who have little experience playing. The talent here could be good... it could be bad.

S: Same as corners. Whitted is a freak athlete and one of our better safeties when healthy. The loss of an "old pro" in Hermey with his experience will be felt. Dallaserra brings experience, beyond that a lot of youth with little to no playing time. Tough to measure talent here without seeing how these guys have improved.\

K/P: Kicker returns all of last years guys plus a walk-on... who knows, hopefully the new coaches get our kickers some experienced coaching and assistance (Delaney's crew as I'm told did not have any coach that could help the kickers). Punters... honestly I wonder if Lider will push Shaw. Lider has a quicker motion and towering punts, can also handle kickoffs. Shaw we'll have to see and I wonder if he's even 100% yet after missing most of the season. Time will tell, Shaw certainly is the strongest punter when healthy.

So when you go down the line and base the argument of experience and known production you've got pretty much just 2 positions that seem to stand out with talent that's on-par or above the usual average we see at Montana, that's the LBs and WRs. After that, it's a bunch of unknowns. We'll have to see.

BWahlberg said:
Go down the line:

QB: We have 6 guys who I think only one has actually started a college game and many who haven't completed a pass in a game at the college level yet.

RB: Our main producing running backs from the last 3 years are gone and now we're looking at a stable of all new guys.

WR: A solid group but a changing system has some question marks and if we can't find a QB to get them the ball... who knows how productive they'll actually be.

TE: Kind of sort of doesn't exist anymore?

OL: Mixed bag, obviously having Schmaing and Weyer back is key. Hopefully Dietrich & Reese keep improving and we see Tood, Luke, and a few others rise to the occasion.

DL: Biggest drop-off due to graduation. Not to say that Kidder, Peevey, and Crittenden (the guys I presume will replace Takai, Rehm, and Wags) won't be great... or even better. But at this point you can't just say those three are "more talented" than the guys they're replacing

LB: Good talent here, can't say it's a bad group at all. Very deep and experienced.

CB: I think our corners get a rough go of it because we now expect every corner to be the next Trumaine Johnson and when they aren't... we tear them to shreds. No corner is mistake free and no one gets singled out more than our corners and safeties do when being criticized on here. Harris is a good corner that I'd put on a Houston Roots or Tuff Harris type of level. Beyond that we've got JR Nelson who played a bunch and then some red shirted freshman and sophomores who have little experience playing. The talent here could be good... it could be bad.

S: Same as corners. Whitted is a freak athlete and one of our better safeties when healthy. The loss of an "old pro" in Hermey with his experience will be felt. Dallaserra brings experience, beyond that a lot of youth with little to no playing time. Tough to measure talent here without seeing how these guys have improved.\

K/P: Kicker returns all of last years guys plus a walk-on... who knows, hopefully the new coaches get our kickers some experienced coaching and assistance (Delaney's crew as I'm told did not have any coach that could help the kickers). Punters... honestly I wonder if Lider will push Shaw. Lider has a quicker motion and towering punts, can also handle kickoffs. Shaw we'll have to see and I wonder if he's even 100% yet after missing most of the season. Time will tell, Shaw certainly is the strongest punter when healthy.

That's spot on!

:cool:

QB, RB down. Receivers (compared to who played last year) up. O-line either push or up, probably up. D-line down, but not way down. Backers up. Secondary slightly down or push, with potential to be improved (loss of Hermey hurts). Kickers up. Return game, push or up. To me, whether up, down or push overall, depends on the qb. Obviously, a critical position, and perhaps even more important in the new offense.

imo, we lost less this year than we typically lose. Returning entire units on wr and and lb rarely happens. We might be bad this year, who knows? But to say that we lost more talent than normal is simply not correct. Also, it's okay to not just state the obvious that we lost so and so and they'll be tough to replace. The day the 2013 season finished, I said the 2014 lb corp would be even better, and guess what? They are, and they are all back. Add in the fact that with Henderson and Schmaing we are instantly adding two KNOWN impact players, both potential All American types. That doesn't usually happen. I honestly don't see how anyone could think the o-line will be worse than last year unless you're just trying to take the middle road on everything.

D-line should be solid. Barring injury, I would be shocked if it isn't.
QB is a question mark but I'm not worried about it. New offense, fresh eyes on the talent, and a whole bunch of kids to choose from.
Safety is a question mark, but it has been most years lately with injury and such.
CB play has improved steadily over the last few and I can't see it taking any major drop-offs.
RB I think running back is overrated in terms of predicting offensive success, personally.

Our offense was pretty bad last year against good teams. If o-line and consistency improves, (which I'm expecting and so is Stitt), so will our offense. I trust our d will be at the top of the conference.

Alpha, are we rating talent based on all of Div 1 football, or just compared to the FCS programs?

FCS only ranking: 7
BCS and FCS combined: 5

Compared to last season
OL- up
RB- slightly down
WR-UP dramatically
QB- Down to start. With a better offensive scheme, QB results will be better by the end of the season.

DL- Down
LB-UP
DB's (Safety and CB)-even. I feel pass coverage will improve due to Gregorak's progress as a coach, and Stitt wanting more aggressive schemes.

K- up
P- up
Return game- up
coverage teams-even.

Having lost 3 starts, both guards and the center, and even with a tackle returning, what's the reason for the optimism for the same or improved o-line?

PlayerRep said:
Having lost 3 starts, both guards and the center, and even with a tackle returning, what's the reason for the optimism for the same or improved o-line?

For me, it is a combination of things. (1) The return of Germer, which is my main reason. (2) A scheme that emphasizes getting rid of the ball quicker more often. (3) Improved OL play the last month of the season by the underclassmen. Even if the same staff would have returned from last season, I would expect improved OL play this coming season. Maturity and experience is a huge factor for OL play. A lot of the growing pains are over with. (4) A few of the guys mentality the last month of the season in taking accountability for their play individually and as a unit.

My biggest question mark for the OL will be run blocking in the new scheme. The scheme alone helps pass blocking and protection. I am not sure how the new offensive scheme can impact run blocking as much? Common sense tells me, it should open the field more for our running game to be consistent, or improved. Beyond that, I really cannot think of anything.

mtgrizrule said:
PlayerRep said:

For me, it is a combination of things. (1) The return of Germer, which is my main reason. (2) A scheme that emphasizes getting rid of the ball quicker more often. (3) Improved OL play the last month of the season by the underclassmen. Even if the same staff would have returned from last season, I would expect improved OL play this coming season. Maturity and experience is a huge factor for OL play. A lot of the growing pains are over with. (4) A few of the guys mentality the last month of the season in taking accountability for their play individually and as a unit.

My biggest question mark for the OL will be run blocking in the new scheme. The scheme alone helps pass blocking and protection. I am not sure how the new offensive scheme can impact run blocking as much? Common sense tells me, it should open the field more for our running game to be consistent, or improved. Beyond that, I really cannot think of anything.
Agreed on all points and adding another. 5) Compared to last year, O-line couldn't get much worse.

PlayerRep said:

mtgrizrule pretty much nailed it. Coaching change should make big difference. Also, We did not have an o-lineman like Schmaing last year who could seal the left edge (both running and passing) and protect the qb's blind side. He will come in as our best lineman. The twins were serviceable, that is all. BOth Weyer and Luke are good centers. I think Luke redshirted and should be a good one. Qb makes better decisions when they feel protected. O-line was coming on at the end of the year. Bunch of young guys who were probably played too early due to lack of depth should come in with much better size and strength as a unit. I won't go back and put weights on here but we simply too young and small on the O-line last year. I expect our line to look something more like this by fall:

LT Schmaing - 295lbs
McCauley Todd - 300lbs
Robert Luke - 305lbs
Weyer - 280
Reese - 285

Alaska Griz said:
PlayerRep said:

mtgrizrule pretty much nailed it. Coaching change should make big difference. Also, We did not have an o-lineman like Schmaing last year who could seal the left edge (both running and passing) and protect the qb's blind side. He will come in as our best lineman. The twins were serviceable, that is all. BOth Weyer and Luke are good centers. I think Luke redshirted and should be a good one. Qb makes better decisions when they feel protected. O-line was coming on at the end of the year. Bunch of young guys who were probably played too early due to lack of depth should come in with much better size and strength as a unit. I won't go back and put weights on here but we were simply too young and small on the O-line last year. I expect our line to look something more like this by fall, and I like this lineup btw:

LT Schmaing - 6'7" 295lbs
LG McCauley Todd - 6'7" 300lbs
C Robert Luke - 6'4" 305lbs
RG Ben Weyer - 6'4" 280
RT David Reese - 6"6 285lbs

Alaska Griz said:
PlayerRep said:

mtgrizrule pretty much nailed it. Coaching change should make big difference. Also, We did not have an o-lineman like Schmaing last year who could seal the left edge (both running and passing) and protect the qb's blind side. He will come in as our best lineman. The twins were serviceable, that is all. BOth Weyer and Luke are good centers. I think Luke redshirted and should be a good one. Qb makes better decisions when they feel protected. O-line was coming on at the end of the year. Bunch of young guys who were probably played too early due to lack of depth should come in with much better size and strength as a unit. I won't go back and put weights on here but we simply too young and small on the O-line last year. I expect our line to look something more like this by fall:

LT Schmaing - 295lbs
McCauley Todd - 300lbs
Robert Luke - 305lbs
Weyer - 280
Reese - 285

Thanks for the various responses. Lukes didn't redshirt.

Alaska Griz said:
RB I think running back is overrated in terms of predicting offensive success, personally.
I don't and it's my biggest concern offensively.

kemajic said:
Alaska Griz said:

I've already illustrated the Chase Reynolds example in the recruiting thread. He was given a shot in one game, seized it, and never looked back. I'm not real high on Favors like some, but i think Counts, Logwood, and Nyguen could be effective. Sometimes it's not about having a star running back, but an o-line that creates holes and backs that can run through them.

Alaska Griz said:
kemajic said:
Alaska Griz said:

I've already illustrated the Chase Reynolds example in the recruiting thread. He was given a shot in one game, seized it, and never looked back. I'm not real high on Favors like some, but i think Counts, Logwood, and Nyguen could be effective. Sometimes it's not about having a star running back, but an o-line that creates holes and backs that can run through them.
Counts has proven that he is a quality RB, now we just have to hope that he stays healthy and can adapt to Stitt's offense. But you're right, between those other 3 guys at least one should prove to be capable of production in this offense. I'm not high on Nguyen but I like Logwood and Favors.

brewskis said:
Alaska Griz said:
kemajic said:
Alaska Griz said:

Counts has proven that he is a quality RB, now we just have to hope that he stays healthy and can adapt to Stitt's offense. But you're right, between those other 3 guys at least one should prove to be capable of production in this offense. I'm not high on Nguyen but I like Logwood and Favors.

I like Nguyen's 8.0 yards per carry and shiftiness, and I think he has good acceleration. (Canada and Van, 5.6 and 5.8.)

PlayerRep said:
brewskis said:
Alaska Griz said:
kemajic said:

I like Nguyen's 8.0 yards per carry and shiftiness, and I think he has good acceleration. (Canada and Van, 5.6 and 5.8.)

I think UM should persuade MSU kicker Trevor Bolton to transfer by offering him a crack at the running back position...dude averaged 25.0 yards per carry last season...must be good.

I like Nguyen's 8.0 yards per carry and shiftiness, and I think he has good acceleration. (Canada and Van, 5.6 and 5.8.)[/quote]

I think UM should persuade MSU kicker Trevor Bolton to transfer by offering him a crack at the running back position...dude averaged 25.0 yards per carry last season...must be good.[/quote]

How many carries did he have to earn that average? You can't take away the fact that while Nguyen might not be an egriz favorite, the coaches like him, he had the highest ypc on the team, and he's only gonna be a true junior. There's a good chance he busts out and has a huge year this year. For the record, I don't ever want to see him returning punts.

Alaska Griz said:

I think UM should persuade MSU kicker Trevor Bolton to transfer by offering him a crack at the running back position...dude averaged 25.0 yards per carry last season...must be good.[/quote]

How many carries did he have to earn that average? You can't take away the fact that while Nguyen might not be an egriz favorite, the coaches like him, he had the highest ypc on the team, and he's only gonna be a true junior. There's a good chance he busts out and has a huge year this year. For the record, I don't ever want to see him returning punts.[/quote]

Alaskagriz, we don't yet know which HB's the coaches like. Justin Green knows what each hb did last year, their strengths, and weaknesses. Who knows what the pecking order will be for Stitt's new offense? It is possible, the depth chart could vary opponent to opponent, depending on the strengths and weaknesses of each opponent. :thumb:

I kinda think alpha might be right. He does God's work. He was almost successful when he ran the Kardashians off the road near Bozeman the other day. if they're ever dumb enough to come back to MT, he'll finish the job.

Back