• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2015 Talent

mtgrizrule said:
Alaska Griz said:
I like Nguyen's 8.0 yards per carry and shiftiness, and I think he has good acceleration. (Canada and Van, 5.6 and 5.8.)

Alaskagriz, we don't yet know which HB's the coaches like. Justin Green knows what each hb did last year, their strengths, and weaknesses. Who knows what the pecking order will be for Stitt's new offense? It is possible, the depth chart could vary opponent to opponent, depending on the strengths and weaknesses of each opponent. :thumb:

Umm...take a look at your post mtgrizrule...I think you're putting my name on other's quotes. Anyway, I'll be more specific...Justin green has remarked on a variety of occasions that he in fact likes what Nguyen brings to the field. He is obviously well liked by the team. Does that mean Justin likes him better than other running backs? Only if YOU want it to mean that. I simply said he was well liked, nothing more. My point was to grizinthebox who compared a kickers average ypc to Nyugens. Not an accurate one. I could care less who runs the ball. My point is that if a player is well liked by his team and his stats are good or better than the other running backs, anyone who is hoping he doesn't get carries might be setting themselves up for frustration. And had you quoted my post about Chase Reynolds just above instead of tacking my name on PlayerReps quote, you would see that I just explained why there doesn't need to be a star running if you have a committee.

Alaska Griz said:
mtgrizrule said:
Alaska Griz said:
I like Nguyen's 8.0 yards per carry and shiftiness, and I think he has good acceleration. (Canada and Van, 5.6 and 5.8.)

Alaskagriz, we don't yet know which HB's the coaches like. Justin Green knows what each hb did last year, their strengths, and weaknesses. Who knows what the pecking order will be for Stitt's new offense? It is possible, the depth chart could vary opponent to opponent, depending on the strengths and weaknesses of each opponent. :thumb:

Umm...take a look at your post mtgrizrule...I think you're putting my name on other's quotes. Anyway, I'll be more specific...Justin green has remarked on a variety of occasions that he in fact likes what Nguyen brings to the field. He is obviously well liked by the team. Does that mean Justin likes him better than other running backs? Only if YOU want it to mean that. I simply said he was well liked, nothing more. My point was to grizinthebox who compared a kickers average ypc to Nyugens. Not an accurate one. I could care less who runs the ball. My point is that if a player is well liked by his team and his stats are good or better than the other running backs, anyone who is hoping he doesn't get carries might be setting themselves up for frustration. And had you quoted my post about Chase Reynolds just above instead of tacking my name on PlayerReps quote, you would see that I just explained why there doesn't need to be a star running if you have a committee.

Alaskagriz, I did not do anything to quote thing. It is some damn problem with EGRIZ. The same thing happened to me a few days ago on 1 of the basketball threads. I think it is in KEMP thread, or either of the 2 in game threads for Weber State or Idaho State. :thumb:

Brock Landers said:
Just for a bit of framework, alpha please rate (out of 10) the talent of the following players:

Marc Mariani
Vernon Adams
Josh Harris
Antwon Moutra
Jordan Johnson
Jake Bleskin
John Nguyen
Peter Nguyen
Dan Moore
Denarius McGhee

Marc Mariani - 8
Vernon Adams - 6
Josh Harris - 5
Antwon Moutra - 6
Jordan Johnson - 7
Jake Bleskin - 5
John Nguyen - 4
Peter Nguyen - 3
Dan Moore - 6
Denarius McGhee - 6

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Brock Landers said:
Just for a bit of framework, alpha please rate (out of 10) the talent of the following players:

Marc Mariani
Vernon Adams
Josh Harris
Antwon Moutra
Jordan Johnson
Jake Bleskin
John Nguyen
Peter Nguyen
Dan Moore
Denarius McGhee

Marc Mariani - 8
Vernon Adams - 6
Josh Harris - 5
Antwon Moutra - 6
Jordan Johnson - 7
Jake Bleskin - 5
John Nguyen - 4
Peter Nguyen - 3
Dan Moore - 6
Denarius McGhee - 6

Any 10s in the BSC in the last decade or so?

I'm starting to like you Alaskagriz, guy actually seems pretty rational. Honestly Nguyen's 8 yards/carry amazes me, I dont know if I just went to the bathroom at all the wrong times....but I never remember seeing anything impressive from him. As far as acceleration, nothing stands out to me. I think there is way more potential in the other guys, but thats just my opinon. If Nguyen becomes our go to guy AND our run game is strong, then I'll be happy to have been proven wrong. I'm hoping a strong passing game will make life fairly easy for whoever is running the ball.

CDAGRIZ said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Brock Landers said:

Marc Mariani
Vernon Adams
Josh Harris
Antwon Moutra
Jordan Johnson
Jake Bleskin
John Nguyen
Peter Nguyen
Dan Moore
Denarius McGhee

Marc Mariani - 8
Vernon Adams - 6
Josh Harris - 5
Antwon Moutra - 6
Jordan Johnson - 7
Jake Bleskin - 5
John Nguyen - 4
Peter Nguyen - 3
Dan Moore - 6
Denarius McGhee - 6

No

I would give Jared Allen a 9 (2001-2003)
In 41 games at Idaho State:
The three-time All-Big Sky Selection - 250 tackles, 38.5 sacks, 73 stops for losses, seven fumble recoveries, three touchdowns, 13 forced fumbles, three interceptions, 26 pass deflections, and one blocked kick.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Brock Landers said:

Marc Mariani
Vernon Adams
Josh Harris
Antwon Moutra
Jordan Johnson
Jake Bleskin
John Nguyen
Peter Nguyen
Dan Moore
Denarius McGhee

Marc Mariani - 8
Vernon Adams - 6
Josh Harris - 5
Antwon Moutra - 6
Jordan Johnson - 7
Jake Bleskin - 5
John Nguyen - 4
Peter Nguyen - 3
Dan Moore - 6
Denarius McGhee - 6

No

I would give Jared Allen a 9 (2001-2003)
In 41 games at Idaho State:
The three-time All-Big Sky Selection - 250 tackles, 38.5 sacks, 73 stops for losses, seven fumble recoveries, three touchdowns, 13 forced fumbles, three interceptions, 26 pass deflections, and one blocked kick.

Thanks. Just trying to give the people an idea of the relativity of your rankings so they can stop getting all mad.

Those people are stupid and will never get it, even if we tried to explain it, they will just complain, bitch and create conspiracy theories about an online opinion.

Nguyen(2 yrs) 532 yds 4 receps 4 TDs; quick, shifty, no top end
Counts(2 yrs) 292 yds 8 receps 3 TDs; strong, no top end; unknown health
Logwood(1 yr) 121 yds 0 receps 0 TDs; unknown
Favors(1 yr) 56 yds 0 receps 0 TDs; unknown

To replace:

Canada(4 yrs) 3435 yds 52 receps 42 TDs; quick, good top end, durable
Van(2 yrs) 1166 yds 76 receps 19 TDs; quick, shifty, good top end; fragile

In spite of the maroon-colored glasses opinions, I remain concerned.

Alaska Griz said:
kemajic said:
Alaska Griz said:
RB I think running back is overrated in terms of predicting offensive success, personally.
I don't and it's my biggest concern offensively.

I've already illustrated the Chase Reynolds example in the recruiting thread. He was given a shot in one game, seized it, and never looked back. I'm not real high on Favors like some, but i think Counts, Logwood, and Nyguen could be effective. Sometimes it's not about having a star running back, but an o-line that creates holes and backs that can run through them.
Sometimes a star RB makes the OL look much better than it is.

kemajic said:
Alaska Griz said:
kemajic said:
Alaska Griz said:
RB I think running back is overrated in terms of predicting offensive success, personally.
I don't and it's my biggest concern offensively.

I've already illustrated the Chase Reynolds example in the recruiting thread. He was given a shot in one game, seized it, and never looked back. I'm not real high on Favors like some, but i think Counts, Logwood, and Nyguen could be effective. Sometimes it's not about having a star running back, but an o-line that creates holes and backs that can run through them.

And vice-versa... :| :|

Afraid of our running backs?

If healthy this season Logwood will be on top. Counts is a great back and I hope he is healthy as he is a very good all around back. Nyguen will be back as a shifty/quick guy with low top end but very useful and will play. These 3 will be our top RBs this season. Favors will play some and of course we have some new Frosh. Remember in Stitt's game these backs need to have the ability catch the ball.

Stitt thinks faster and quicker than most realize. He will be impressed with Nyguen's quicks, he will love Count's power and catching abilities and he will be impressed with Logwood's shifty running along with his slippery power!

Umista said:
Afraid of our running backs?

If healthy this season Logwood will be on top. Counts is a great back and I hope he is healthy as he is a very good all around back. Nyguen will be back as a shifty/quick guy with low top end but very useful and will play. These 3 will be our top RBs this season. Favors will play some and of course we have some new Frosh. Remember in Stitt's game these backs need to have the ability catch the ball.

Stitt thinks faster and quicker than most realize. He will be impressed with Nyguen's quicks, he will love Count's power and catching abilities and he will be impressed with Logwood's shifty running along with his slippery power!

Ooooooh. Slippery Power. #ILOVEit

PlayerRep said:
Having lost 3 starts, both guards and the center, and even with a tackle returning, what's the reason for the optimism for the same or improved o-line?

Huh? Maybe you need to check your meds. Recall that you posted:

PlayerRep said:
QB, RB down. Receivers (compared to who played last year) up. O-line either push or up, probably up. D-line down, but not way down. Backers up. Secondary slightly down or push, with potential to be improved (loss of Hermey hurts). Kickers up. Return game, push or up. To me, whether up, down or push overall, depends on the qb. Obviously, a critical position, and perhaps even more important in the new offense.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
Alaska Griz said:
Sometimes it's not about having a star running back, but an o-line that creates holes and backs that can run through them.

And vice-versa... :| :|
2 or 3 more vice-versas and we may have it.

Grisly Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
Having lost 3 starts, both guards and the center, and even with a tackle returning, what's the reason for the optimism for the same or improved o-line?

PlayerRep said:
QB, RB down. Receivers (compared to who played last year) up. O-line either push or up, probably up. D-line down, but not way down. Backers up. Secondary slightly down or push, with potential to be improved (loss of Hermey hurts). Kickers up. Return game, push or up. To me, whether up, down or push overall, depends on the qb. Obviously, a critical position, and perhaps even more important in the new offense.

Nope. I was just looking for other and solid reasons. I was just guessing. Was looking for the specific reasons of others. I was hoping someone had some specific scoop on the younger players who would step up to become starters.

PlayerRep said:
Grisly Fan said:
PlayerRep said:

PlayerRep said:

Nope. I was just looking for other and solid reasons. I was just guessing. Was looking for the specific reasons of others. I was hoping someone had some specific scoop on the younger players who would step up to become starters.

If you look at the possible mix of starters on the O-line:

T:
Schmaing - our best tackle
Reese - started 3/4's the season, great young talent
Dietrich - could move inside but did play the full season at LT
Thiebes - Started the first 2 or 3 games of the year, backed up once he got healthy again

G:
Todd - played against Wyo and started the next week
Weyer - 2 year starter, rock solid
Kelly - not much experience but great size
Dietrich - wonder if he'll move back to G with Schmaing back

C:
Luke - great potential as a true soph, pulled ST duty this season
Weyer - rumor is he's moving to this spot

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Brock Landers said:

Marc Mariani
Vernon Adams
Josh Harris
Antwon Moutra
Jordan Johnson
Jake Bleskin
John Nguyen
Peter Nguyen
Dan Moore
Denarius McGhee

Marc Mariani - 8
Vernon Adams - 6
Josh Harris - 5
Antwon Moutra - 6
Jordan Johnson - 7
Jake Bleskin - 5
John Nguyen - 4
Peter Nguyen - 3
Dan Moore - 6
Denarius McGhee - 6
So Moutra, for example, was a just-above-average talent? A slight tick above where our team collectively is right now?

Back