• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2016 Griz Football Recruiting (38)- 20 Verbals/ 8 Transfers/ 10 Walk-Ons & 3 Offers

Xavier looks like a very good WR, but the Missoulian is reporting that the Griz recruited him as a corner. Tall, fast and big vert. Nice combo for a lockdown corner.

go96griz said:
firmgriz said:
Xavier James, a 6' 2" corner from Arizona, became the fifth commitment for the Griz today. Sounds like a great young player! Welcome Xavier and congratulations to the coaches on another fine addition to the class of 2016!

Nice, he's a 2 star recruit on Rivals. They also list him as a WR and based on Semore's tweet about speed I am guessing he's slated to play WR.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Xavier-James-166048/print

Also a 2 star WR on Scout.

http://www.scout.com/player/8476342n-xavier-james/
kyle sample says CB

I don't care where they are from I'd like to see three big tough Defensive Linemen come. I keep looking for some good looking players to play on D but i'll have to wait until we get 12 more receivers. O. K.

Umista said:
I don't care where they are from I'd like to see three big tough Defensive Linemen come. I keep looking for some good looking players to play on D but i'll have to wait until we get 12 more receivers. O. K.

Don't know about you but I REALLY like the way Kyle Davis performed against Cal Poly. And Nate Bradley. They just need to put on a little more weight.

AZGrizFan said:
XxSpectrexX said:
So my question is this... are you of the opinion that the best Texas high school player at each position is better than the best at each position in Montana? Just curious and not upset at all, I just want some clarification into what you stated earlier. I do agree that a lot of the kids these days are coddled into absolute uselessness.

:lol: :lol:

Yes, and it's not even close. If I took the best 65 HS players in the state of Texas they'd compete with most teams in the BSC right out of the gate. The top 80 ranked players in Texas are 4 star and above--and are all going to schools like Alabama, LSU, Stanford, Texas, Auburn, Ole Miss, Ohio State, Michigan, etc., etc. Are there some duds in there? Most likely....but that team would destroy half the BSC immediately, and probably do even better than that.

YES! The best Texas HS player at each position is better than the best MT player at each position....by margins I cannot describe. Good grief. Texas football players populate the rosters of every FBS school in Texas....and Oklahoma, OK State, Kansas, Kansas State...on and on, on. It's not close on this topic. Over 155 High Schools in San Antonio alone. Now add Dallas and Houston...and outlying football factories in Western Texas. It's just simple math.

Yes, I'd love to see some big nasty maulers with bad attitudes added to this class soon, on both lines!

Umista said:

2 toughest positions to recruit at FCS level are shut down corner and run stopping nose guard/defensive tackle. We had one coming in that would be playing now, but didn't make grades.

grizatwork said:
Umista said:

2 toughest positions to recruit at FCS level are shut down corner and run stopping nose guard/defensive tackle. We had one coming in that would be playing now, but didn't make grades.

Maybe he makes the grades for 2016?

SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
XxSpectrexX said:
So my question is this... are you of the opinion that the best Texas high school player at each position is better than the best at each position in Montana? Just curious and not upset at all, I just want some clarification into what you stated earlier. I do agree that a lot of the kids these days are coddled into absolute uselessness.

Yes, and it's not even close. If I took the best 65 HS players in the state of Texas they'd compete with most teams in the BSC right out of the gate. The top 80 ranked players in Texas are 4 star and above--and are all going to schools like Alabama, LSU, Stanford, Texas, Auburn, Ole Miss, Ohio State, Michigan, etc., etc. Are there some duds in there? Most likely....but that team would destroy half the BSC immediately, and probably do even better than that.

YES! The best Texas HS player at each position is better than the best MT player at each position....by margins I cannot describe. Good grief. Texas football players populate the rosters of every FBS school in Texas....and Oklahoma, OK State, Kansas, Kansas State...on and on, on. It's not close on this topic. Over 155 High Schools in San Antonio alone. Now add Dallas and Houston...and outlying football factories in Western Texas. It's just simple math.

You should just really be the spokesperson for the state of Texas... I'm willing to bet you have some college flag from a school down there hanging up as well.

XxSpectrexX said:
SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
XxSpectrexX said:

You should just really be the spokesperson for the state of Texas... I'm willing to bet you have some college flag from a school down there hanging up as well. Conversation is over, please remove then steer from outta your backside before you sit down.

I coached in both states at AA in Montana and 3A in Texas.

Because of sheer numbers this debate is useless.

The only real difference is not strength or desire its speed. The game in Texas is A LOT faster. Does not mean there are kids that could not play in Texas from Montana, in fact its been done. Its just a factor of speed in numbers.

For proof of this a few years back I coached against a 3A team (800-1100 Students- similar to Montana AA)
and every D line starter they had ran less than 4.7 40's. We had a kid at RB (that started for TCU in college) that weighed 225 and ran a legit 4.48. We could not run outside against that D-line, but we battered them until they weakened between the Tackles.

I love the payers in Montana, they will give every thing they have and usually are very good students and kids. But to think that Montana teams could play against the same level in Texas is just foolish. And yes, the best Texas players are much better, because of speed then the best Montana player.

BTW... The reason this has come up is that msu has recruited Texas very hard. Trust me the players they are getting are Average to below average Texas players. There are hundreds of colleges/JC and universities in Texas, and given a choice 99.9% of Texas players stay at home.

I would venture a guess that most if not all the msu Texas players did not REALLY have any Texas choices.

I talked many times to Texas players about checking out UM and I always got this response, great program, but I don't want to be that far from home and play in the cold.

SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
XxSpectrexX said:

I'm more than okay with the talent disparity if it means being from Montana and not Texas...

Htowngriz said:
SoldierGriz said:

I'm more than okay with the talent disparity if it means being from Montana and not Texas...

Having lived down here now for going on 3 years, I can tell you that most Texans have nothing but respect for Montana (the state) and even Montana (the program). Sure it's anecdotal evidence, but there's a bit of a "kindred spirit" amongst Texans that they feel drawn to Montana and Montanans as "brothers from another mother" in that our mindsets, our work ethics and our makeup are very similar.

That being said, 80% of the state is pretty much a shithole (a point which even most Texans will agree with you on), and if I weren't in San Antonio (and the Hill Country in general) there's no WAY I could live here...

I DO miss mountains, though. :( :( :(

Paytonlives said:
BTW... The reason this has come up is that msu has recruited Texas very hard. Trust me the players they are getting are Average to below average Texas players. There are hundreds of colleges/JC and universities in Texas, and given a choice 99.9% of Texas players stay at home.

I would venture a guess that most if not all the msu Texas players did not REALLY have any Texas choices.

I talked many times to Texas players about checking out UM and I always got this response, great program, but I don't want to be that far from home and play in the cold.
My coworkers daughter got an offer from UM for volleyball, but she chose Western Washington so she wouldn't be too far from home (Everett).

PhxGriz said:
Paytonlives said:

My coworkers daughter got an offer from UM for volleyball, but she chose Western Washington so she wouldn't be too far from home (Everett).

Ummm...thanks for that PhxGriz. Volleyball... :thumb:

Bobby Hauck taught me that same thing concerning good linemen on either side are the toughest positions to recruit and obtain good quality kids.

Having just said that I still want at least one or two.

Yes I did notice the play of our young undersized players on the D-Line. Liked what I saw...they are comers.

You should just really be the spokesperson for the state of Texas... I'm willing to bet you have some college flag from a school down there hanging up as well.[/quote]

I fly the only flag that matters. Facts are stubborn. I cheer for Montana Players as hard as anyone...born and raised in Central Montana, and UM Alum. I am just temporarily displaced in Texas.

SoldierGriz said:
XxSpectrexX said:
You should just really be the spokesperson for the state of Texas... I'm willing to bet you have some college flag from a school down there hanging up as well.

I fly the only flag that matters. Facts are stubborn. I cheer for Montana Players as hard as anyone...born and raised in Central Montana, and UM Alum. I am just temporarily displaced in Texas.

Sorry, SG...your opinion differs from his, obviously you've been warped by your time down here. :lol: :lol:

Re: Valentino Daltoso 2016 OLine Boise High School:

Game summary versus rival Borah: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/09/11/3981887/boise-pulls-off-ot-stunner.html#storylink=cpy

The Boise High football team covered 95 yards in just over a minute to score the game-tying touchdown in the final seconds of the fourth quarter.

Then it took one swat from 6-foot-5, 290-pound Boise defensive tackle Valentino Daltoso’s left hand to pull off a 45-44 overtime victory against Borah on Friday night at Dona Larsen Park.

But when the Lions lined up for the game-tying PAT, Daltoso overpowered Borah’s line, knocking down the kick for the win.

“Honestly, I was just trying to knock the dude in front of me over,” Daltoso said. “I just put my hand up, and I guess it was a low kick and I got my hand on it.

“I couldn’t even explain (the moment). I just started running.”

Looks like he's growing anyways, up to 6'5" and 290 lbs. :clap:

Back