• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2016 Griz Football Recruiting (38)- 20 Verbals/ 8 Transfers/ 10 Walk-Ons & 3 Offers

NEW OFFER: Tanner Hawthorne 6'6" 275 OT Peoria, AZ (Centennial HS)

I watched him play last week on TV. Very good looking Olineman. Centennial's Oline is huge and very well coached, he is their left tackle. The guard who plays next to him is committed to Arizona State. His only other offer is from Missouri State.

Interesting how much attention the NDSU win brought the Griz nationally. Apparently they have been very busy fielding inquiries from student athletes all over the country that want to be Griz. Not surprising after the big show last weekend. It's great to be a Griz!

I'm willing to bet 90% of these band wagoning prospects aren't that good... just the way it is, half of the players playing today aren't that good and think that by calling a FCS program they'd be doing them a favor. Sure a couple of gems may reach out, but honestly I'm sure the majority are mediocre and think the world is a better place because of them.

XxSpectrexX said:
I'm willing to bet 90% of these band wagoning prospects aren't that good... just the way it is, half of the players playing today aren't that good and think that by calling a FCS program they'd be doing them a favor. Sure a couple of gems may reach out, but honestly I'm sure the majority are mediocre and think the world is a better place because of them.

While I agree that the % of duds is probably fairly high, it can do nothing but HELP the program in the long run. I did some research here not to long ago about 3/4/5 star athletes (in the state of Texas). In the past 3 years, Texas has averaged about 1200 3/4/5 star football players each year. Only about 400 of those sign with FBS schools, again, on average. Granted, some don't have the grades to go on to college, some go on to junior college and then FBS programs, and some don't continue their football careers at all...but even if that's HALF of the remaining 800, that leaves a LOT of football talent. And that's JUST the state of Texas.

AZGrizFan said:
XxSpectrexX said:

While I agree that the % of duds is probably fairly high, it can do nothing but HELP the program in the long run. I did some research here not to long ago about 3/4/5 star athletes (in the state of Texas). In the past 3 years, Texas has averaged about 1200 3/4/5 star football players each year. Only about 400 of those sign with FBS schools, again, on average. Granted, some don't have the grades to go on to college, some go on to junior college and then FBS programs, and some don't continue their football careers at all...but even if that's HALF of the remaining 800, that leaves a LOT of football talent. And that's JUST the state of Texas.

In my opinion football players are football players. Texas, California and Florida aren't an automatic "better than" card. I've seen a lot of football in my day and seen it all over the country and I think I've truly been disappointed more often than not at so called studs being just slightly better than average. I have seen 4 high school players that have impressed me and all though 2 were from Texas they were the kind of players that would be rare gems anywhere... Texas was just lucky enough to be where they lived, not started playing. I'm not hating on Texas as some states are just flat out horrible at the sport. I just think egos concerning football there are more abundant.

XxSpectrexX said:
AZGrizFan said:
XxSpectrexX said:

In my opinion football players are football players. Texas, California and Florida aren't an automatic "better than" card. I've seen a lot of football in my day and seen it all over the country and I think I've truly been disappointed more often than not at so called studs being just slightly better than average. I have seen 4 high school players that have impressed me and all though 2 were from Texas they were the kind of players that would be rare gems anywhere... Texas was just lucky enough to be where they lived, not started playing. I'm not hating on Texas as some states are just flat out horrible at the sport. I just think egos concerning football there are more abundant.

Yes, football players are football players. And Texas has 27,000,000 people. It's not rocket science that the most populous states (for the most part) produce the most football players. The outliers are Louisiana and Montana (on a per-capita basis)...and I've watched a LOT of Texas football in the last three years (HS and college), and from what I've witnessed, the "egos" are well deserved. And it's not ego if you can back it up--and they do.

227GRIZ said:
Parker Dumas outta Mount si is visiting tomorrow. He is on root right now and looks good

I met him this weekend and he is a legit 6'5" with a frame that could easily put on another 25# and be a beast. Looks like he's been offered by Wyoming and has interest from PSU and EWU.

AZGrizFan said:
XxSpectrexX said:
AZGrizFan said:
XxSpectrexX said:

Yes, football players are football players. And Texas has 27,000,000 people. It's not rocket science that the most populous states (for the most part) produce the most football players. The outliers are Louisiana and Montana (on a per-capita basis)...and I've watched a LOT of Texas football in the last three years (HS and college), and from what I've witnessed, the "egos" are well deserved. And it's not ego if you can back it up--and they do.

So I called up three friends of mine in San Antonio, Fort Worth and Katy... they beg to differ about all the players being deserving of the egos. They assure me the egos are courtesy of being with certain quality programs versus quality player skill sets. But to each his own, I still think a good 80-90% of the players out there are hype over quality.

XxSpectrexX said:
AZGrizFan said:
XxSpectrexX said:
AZGrizFan said:

So I called up three friends of mine in San Antonio, Fort Worth and Katy... they beg to differ about all the players being deserving of the egos. They assure me the egos are courtesy of being with certain quality programs versus quality player skill sets. But to each his own, I still think a good 80-90% of the players out there are hype over quality.

I didn't realize this was that important to you. a) it's all anecdotal evidence and b) almost ALL athletes have egos, as they've been coddled most of their young lives. And speaking of anecdotal evidence, at my daughter's HS (she just graduated) the football players are some of the most polite, humble kids in the school. I'm sure it's a bit different in the football factories of Katy, Allen, etc., etc.

Yes, football players are football players. And Texas has 27,000,000 people. It's not rocket science that the most populous states (for the most part) produce the most football players. The outliers are Louisiana and Montana (on a per-capita basis)...and I've watched a LOT of Texas football in the last three years (HS and college), and from what I've witnessed, the "egos" are well deserved. And it's not ego if you can back it up--and they do.[/quote]

So I called up three friends of mine in San Antonio, Fort Worth and Katy... they beg to differ about all the players being deserving of the egos. They assure me the egos are courtesy of being with certain quality programs versus quality player skill sets. But to each his own, I still think a good 80-90% of the players out there are hype over quality.[/quote]

I didn't realize this was that important to you. a) it's all anecdotal evidence and b) almost ALL athletes have egos, as they've been coddled most of their young lives. And speaking of anecdotal evidence, at my daughter's HS (she just graduated) the football players are some of the most polite, humble kids in the school. I'm sure it's a bit different in the football factories of Katy, Allen, etc., etc.[/quote]

Lol... it's not that important to me at all. I just find it amazing that most ppl I run across in, or from Texas are of the opinion that quality football players are raised on some farm out there ready to play in the NFL. Yes, in a state of 27 million people the odds of having more football players that are decent are higher- only because there are more kids playing the sport. I'm of the opinion that percentage-wise the number of better than average players to trash is about the same, or marginally higher. 7M people vs 17M people vs 27M people= roughly the same % of decent players, the difference maker by state in my opinion is weather. We know Montana is cold as hell compared to Texas and that Texas has football basically year round (and I've witnessed some of these 7 on 7 events) and am of the opinion that anybody can play ball in a compression shirt, shorts and gloves and look good. So my question is this... are you of the opinion that the best Texas high school player at each position is better than the best at each position in Montana? Just curious and not upset at all, I just want some clarification into what you stated earlier. I do agree that a lot of the kids these days are coddled into absolute uselessness.

XxSpectrexX said:
So my question is this... are you of the opinion that the best Texas high school player at each position is better than the best at each position in Montana? Just curious and not upset at all, I just want some clarification into what you stated earlier. I do agree that a lot of the kids these days are coddled into absolute uselessness.

:lol: :lol:

Yes, and it's not even close. If I took the best 65 HS players in the state of Texas they'd compete with most teams in the BSC right out of the gate. The top 80 ranked players in Texas are 4 star and above--and are all going to schools like Alabama, LSU, Stanford, Texas, Auburn, Ole Miss, Ohio State, Michigan, etc., etc. Are there some duds in there? Most likely....but that team would destroy half the BSC immediately, and probably do even better than that.

And on that note, I'd like to return the thread to it's regularly scheduled programming. Apologize for the hijack, folks.

AZGrizFan said:
XxSpectrexX said:
So my question is this... are you of the opinion that the best Texas high school player at each position is better than the best at each position in Montana? Just curious and not upset at all, I just want some clarification into what you stated earlier. I do agree that a lot of the kids these days are coddled into absolute uselessness.

:lol: :lol:

Yes, and it's not even close. If I took the best 65 HS players in the state of Texas they'd compete with most teams in the BSC right out of the gate. The top 80 ranked players in Texas are 4 star and above--and are all going to schools like Alabama, LSU, Stanford, Texas, Auburn, Ole Miss, Ohio State, Michigan, etc., etc. Are there some duds in there? Most likely....but that team would destroy half the BSC immediately, and probably do even better than that.

Whatever man... half the BCS players were simply overlooked in high school and that doesn't mean that they aren't just as good as these players that you're clamoring about... it means that maybe their program sucked, maybe they weren't prototypical size in the minds of people who evaluate players and never played the game. As for these top 80...half of them going to the big programs will most likely never get on the field till year 3 if then. I concede to your 'Everything is bigger in Texas' sized opinion of Texas players... just remember no matter where they are, or are from, they still are just kids and last time I checked there is no such thing as cloning the perfect athlete anywhere...even Texas. Back to the original subject now, I'm done with this one.

Xavier James, a 6' 2" corner from Arizona, became the fifth commitment for the Griz today. Sounds like a great young player! Welcome Xavier and congratulations to the coaches on another fine addition to the class of 2016!

firmgriz said:
Xavier James, a 6' 2" corner from Arizona, became the fifth commitment for the Griz today. Sounds like a great young player! Welcome Xavier and congratulations to the coaches on another fine addition to the class of 2016!

Nice, he's a 2 star recruit on Rivals. They also list him as a WR and based on Semore's tweet about speed I am guessing he's slated to play WR.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Xavier-James-166048/print

Also a 2 star WR on Scout.

http://www.scout.com/player/8476342n-xavier-james/

Back