• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2016 Recruiting Thread 23 Offers

IntuitiveGriz said:
AZDoc said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
dirtysoup said:
I hope they go after Andrew Grinde from CM Russell. Kid ran over, through, and around everybody last year. Gatorade POY and a chance to win it again next year. Only football player to win it twice in Montana was some guy named Dave Dickenson... (also CMR grad)

Past winners:

NAME..................YEAR.....POSITION.....SCHOOL..........CITY........

Andrew Grinde 2015 RB C.M.Russell Great Falls MT
Will Disslly 2014 TE/DE Bozeman Bozeman MT
Gunnar Brekke 2013 RB/DB Capital Helena MT
Caleb Kidder 2012 G/DE Capital Helena MT
Tanner Roderick 2011 QB Bozeman Bozeman MT
Matt Miller 2010 WR Capital Helena MT
Brock Osweiler 2009 QB Flathead Kalispell MT
Casey McMillan 2008l DT/G Billings Cent Billings MT
Matt Hustad 2007 DL Helena Helena MT
Alex Verlanic 2006 C/DT Drummond Drummond MT
Shawn Lebsock 2005 FB/LB Skyview Billings MT
Rob Schulte 2004 RB/DB Great Falls Great Falls MT
Kyle Samson 2003 QB Capital Helena MT
Ryan Grosulak 2002 RB/LB Billings West Billings MT
Mark Anderson 2001 TE Fergus Lewistown MT
Bo Bartik 2000 QB Billings West Billings MT
Pat Ryan 1999 TE/LB Billings West Billings MT
John Edwards 1998 QB Billings West Billings MT
Andy Petek 1997 LB Helena Helena MT
Ben Drinkwalter 1996 RB C.M. Russell Great Falls MT
Jon Ueland 1995 RB/WR Billings West Billings MT
Lance Lanning 1994 OT Havre Havre MT
Jason Crebo 1993 LB/TE Capital Helena MT
Joe Cummings 1992 LB/G Stevensville Stevensville MT
Dave Dickenson 1991 QB C.M. Russell Great Falls MT
David Dickerson 1990 QB C.M. Russell Great Falls MT
Chuck Mason 1989 LB Big Fork Big Fork MT
Jeff Tuss 1988 QB Captial Helena MT
Shane Collins 1987 LB/RB Bozeman Bozeman MT
Mitch Donahue 1986 LB Billings West Billings MT

That's a cool list. I played against 2 of those guys.

Cool, which ones? :cool:

I remember Shane Collins (my soph yr) and Jeff Tuss (my jr year) really well.

Collins was really tough. Great athlete. I mean really great. Because we lost to CMR (3-time champion 1984-1986) in the '86 state championship in Great Falls, 41-15. They were loaded. They had a couple players that could have won the '87 award, but Collins took it home.

Tuss lead his Capital HS Bruins from a 2 touchdown half-time deficit, 0-12, against us in Butte, to win the '87 state championship 14-12. I still can't get over that one.

I do not remember Chuck Mason my senior year, with him playing in a different classification. He must have been really good, because we lost the state semi-final game, by 1 score, to a really good Great Falls HS team in Great Falls, which won the state championship the next week. (not to mention the 3 players from my team that went on, all 3 be ALL-BSC and 2 of the 3 become 1-AA All-Americans... Can someone speak of Chuck Mason, I'd like to hear?

Jeff Tuss didn't play in the championship game. He broke his collar bone in the playoff win against Flathead. Chris Peccia started that game and brought us back.

Chuck Mason was a good Griz... I think he mostly was at DT after playing RB and LB in high school.. If I recall correctly he as around 6'5" 250 lbs in high school. He ran track on their 4x100 team which speaks to how fast he was at that size.

IntuitiveGriz said:
AZDoc said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
dirtysoup said:
I hope they go after Andrew Grinde from CM Russell. Kid ran over, through, and around everybody last year. Gatorade POY and a chance to win it again next year. Only football player to win it twice in Montana was some guy named Dave Dickenson... (also CMR grad)

Past winners:

Played many times against Lance Lanning and once against Joe Cummings. Lanning was a big dude and Cummings was tall and ripped. Funny story I was playing LB and got cut from the side flowing to the ball by Havre's center. I landed on top of him. Lanning pancaked our DT on top of me and then landed on all of us. Just remember Havre's center screaming under the pile "get off fat a$$".

Umista said:
Underestimating Stitt may be the downfall of some opposing teams we face this season. I am guessing we win some games we are expected to lose.
This new coach and crew will take recruiting to the next level.
Young men like a cool coach. They also enjoy playing for a winning team.
Many tools are available now to get a highly regarded player. I Predict a very good group of players coming in 2016.

Totally agree. Recruiting can be fickle when dealing with 17 year old kids, but when you have the resources Montana has and a fun energetic coach like Stitt the ceiling is sky high. I am optimistic about this season although the schedule will be tough again. 8 or 9 wins and a playoff berth is reasonable to expect this year. The 2016 season with a full a year under the Stitt regime and presumably a returning starter at qb a run at a national title is very possible.

Montana will be dominate again very soon!

Canyoncat said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
AZDoc said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Past winners:

I remember Shane Collins (my soph yr) and Jeff Tuss (my jr year) really well.

Collins was really tough. Great athlete. I mean really great. Because we lost to CMR (3-time champion 1984-1986) in the '86 state championship in Great Falls, 41-15. They were loaded. They had a couple players that could have won the '87 award, but Collins took it home.

Tuss lead his Capital HS Bruins from a 2 touchdown half-time deficit, 0-12, against us in Butte, to win the '87 state championship 14-12. I still can't get over that one.

I do not remember Chuck Mason my senior year, with him playing in a different classification. He must have been really good, because we lost the state semi-final game, by 1 score, to a really good Great Falls HS team in Great Falls, which won the state championship the next week. (not to mention the 3 players from my team that went on, all 3 be ALL-BSC and 2 of the 3 become 1-AA All-Americans... Can someone speak of Chuck Mason, I'd like to hear?

Jeff Tuss didn't play in the championship game. He broke his collar bone in the playoff win against Flathead. Chris Peccia started that game and brought us back.

Oh man, that sucked then. (Tuss injury)

I know losing our starting tailback (Senior, Russ Allen) was a major blow for our running offense. He blew out a knee on a run, right before the championship game, in practice on a low tackle, out in the flat, by our 1st team All-State strong safety (Randy Street -- 3 time state wrestling champ, son of legendary BHS wrestling coach). I started the JV at SS, I was a year younger (and not as good :lol:).

I remember we were driving on your side of the field, late in that game, when our QB (Todd Paffhausen) was intercepted over the middle, securing your W. Congrats to you guys, that was a great defensive game.

We also had a battle with RB Billy Cockhill the next season...

montanamike21 said:
Chuck Mason was a good Griz... I think he mostly was at DT after playing RB and LB in high school.. If I recall correctly he as around 6'5" 250 lbs in high school. He ran track on their 4x100 team which speaks to how fast he was at that size.

Thanks! :D

He definitely sounded like a more than worthy guy, big and fast!

AZDoc said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
AZDoc said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Past winners:

Played many times against Lance Lanning and once against Joe Cummings. Lanning was a big dude and Cummings was tall and ripped. Funny story I was playing LB and got cut from the side flowing to the ball by Havre's center. I landed on top of him. Lanning pancaked our DT on top of me and then landed on all of us. Just remember Havre's center screaming under the pile "get off fat a$$".

:laugh: :arrow: :lol:

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

NikeGrizz said:
New offer Samuel Akem a big wide receiver from Oklahoma!

Great down field blocker on defensive backs, especially being physical on safeties. Big enough to crack down on linebackers and defensive ends as well. Looks athletic in the passing game as well. He would shine in Stits offense, and put up professional scout worthy numbers here.

He looks GOOD.

NEW OFFER: Xavier James 6'1" 165 WR Buckeye, AZ (Verrado HS) @XJDAGREAT

via Jason Jewell from 247

"Verrado WR Xavier James tells me he was offered by Montana tonight."
@ jason247scout

No other offers

WaGriz4life said:
NEW OFFER: Xavier James 6'1" 165 WR Buckeye, AZ (Verrado HS) @XJDAGREAT

via Jason Jewell from 247

"Verrado WR Xavier James tells me he was offered by Montana tonight."
@ jason247scout

No other offers

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/high-school/recruiting/2015/03/20/verrado-xavier-davis-football-recruiting-montana-sergio-hernandez/25103841/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Montana has offered Buckeye Verrado junior wide receiver Xavier James after he turned in an impressive performance at a recent Nike combine.

James, 6-foot-1, 178 pounds, was timed under 4.6 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He caught 20 passes for 329 yards last season on a 9-2 team.

This is Verrado's first big football recruit.

Expect things to really pick up for James in May when spring football gets rolling.

Nike Sparq Verfied:

Height 6'1"
Weight 168lbs
40yd Dash 4.58
Shuttle 4.24
Vertical 35.3"
Power Ball 43'

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuxP8EyuF5k[/youtube]

Xavier James, Verrado, HS: Hudl 7 min video

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2197165/xavier-james" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Been reading up on junior day and there were over 140 recruits in attendance from literally all over the country..

Sure wish the Griz had a pipeline into Texas....living in S.A. now, there are some REALLY good players going D-II or D-III because they aren't getting the looks they really deserve. IMHO the MLB and a WR on the football team where my daughter attends HS are just two of those players...really shocked they're not playing D-I ball somewhere...and I know for a fact it's not because of grades or desire.

AZGrizFan said:
Sure wish the Griz had a pipeline into Texas....living in S.A. now, there are some REALLY good players going D-II or D-III because they aren't getting the looks they really deserve. IMHO the MLB and a WR on the football team where my daughter attends HS are just two of those players...really shocked they're not playing D-I ball somewhere...and I know for a fact it's not because of grades or desire.

I figured every single one of the wide receivers on that team would go D-1; I watched them play last year - all fast, all physical. Pipeline into NEISD here in San Antonio could be a gold mine for the Griz. They almost all run an uptempo, spread-type offense. These teams are well coached. Seems like square peg, square hole to me. AZ - let's get together for a game this year.

SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

I figured every single one of the wide receivers on that team would go D-1; I watched them play last year - all fast, all physical. Pipeline into NEISD here in San Antonio could be a gold mine for the Griz. They almost all run an uptempo, spread-type offense. These teams are well coached. Seems like square peg, square hole to me. AZ - let's get together for a game this year.

Agreed, and will do. My daughter's graduating in June, but we've got friends with daughters still on the dance team (and plus, I love HS football in general), so we'll still be going to games!

SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

It would not hurt to send Justin Green or Coach Stitt information on players and/or programs in TX which would be good to look into. If it were me, I'd email them coaching and AD contact info, along with a video link. Another thing to do is provide the AD's and/or HS coaches the gogriz.com recruiting link http://www.gogriz.com/recruiting/mont-recruiting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and educate their coaches on the Montana program. I would avoid interacting with the players and/or parents though about the program, it is easy to violate NCAA rules without knowing it . :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

It would not hurt to send Justin Green or Coach Stitt information on players and/or programs in TX which would be good to look into. If it were me, I'd email them coaching and AD contact info, along with a video link. Another thing to do is provide the AD's and/or HS coaches the gogriz.com recruiting link http://www.gogriz.com/recruiting/mont-recruiting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and educate their coaches on the Montana program. I would avoid interacting with the players and/or parents though about the program, it is easy to violate NCAA rules without knowing it . :thumb:

Well, being (mostly) ignorant of the rules, my fear (as a booster) has been violating them, so I've been overly conservative in my contact with either players OR coaches....still not entirely sure where the line is drawn, to be honest.

mtgrizrule said:
SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

What? The griz coaches don't get their recruiting info from egriz? :eek:

Back