• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2017 Badlands Bowl

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Bisonation said:
VimSince03 said:
I'll also assess the North Dakota roster. They once again have a very large offensive line but Montana has ran circles around them the past few years with better overall athleticism.

Ill Also assess the roster. only 1 NDSU PLAYER PLAYED IN IT and he was on the line .

We have yet to start our Montana vs Minnesota or Nebraska series. Give it time Beezon

I'm not sure he can count to 4... that is in 4 bison recruits from ND in 2017 and 1 is a walkon.

BTW bizon it's one two three four
Sorry this will be easier 1, 2, 3, 4
Or
Won, Too, threee, fore

Bisonation said:
VimSince03 said:
I'll also assess the North Dakota roster. They once again have a very large offensive line but Montana has ran circles around them the past few years with better overall athleticism.

Ill Also assess the roster. only 1 NDSU PLAYER PLAYED IN IT and he was on the line .

Yep and that o-lineman hurt his knee.

On Friday night at the banquet in Miles City, they introduced the players from each team. ND was introduced first and then sat at their assigned tables. While the Montana players were being introduced the ND players looked on at their noticeabley smallet opponents. One of the ND players seated no more than 10 feet in front of me had a shit eating grin on his face as he turned back to his seated teammates and said man they are small we are gonna kill e'm. I'll have to admit I thought the same thing. The ND parents, coaches and players were absolutely stunned and looked shell shocked during the game 65-0 with a running clock 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter is simply amazing. Up with Montana boys!

Richard Cranium said:
On Friday night at the banquet in Miles City, they introduced the players from each team. ND was introduced first and then sat at their assigned tables. While the Montana players were being introduced the ND players looked on at their noticeabley smallet opponents. One of the ND players seated no more than 10 feet in front of me had a shit eating grin on his face as he turned back to his seated teammates and said man they are small we are gonna kill e'm. I'll have to admit I thought the same thing. The ND parents, coaches and players were absolutely stunned and looked shell shocked during the game 65-0 with a running clock 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter is simply amazing. Up with Montana boys!
Sounds like the NoDaks experienced what George Armstrong Custer felt -- excessively confident then utterly slaughtered.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Bisonation said:
VimSince03 said:

I think it was pretty apparent why NDSU does not recruit North Dakota.

So "winning the state" is not a critical element? I heard somewhere it was.

Paytonlives said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Bisonation said:
VimSince03 said:

We have yet to start our Montana vs Minnesota or Nebraska series. Give it time Beezon

I'm not sure he can count to 4... that is in 4 bison recruits from ND in 2017 and 1 is a walkon.

Or
Won, Too, threee, fore

what are you talking about Zach Willis West Fargo, only NDSU recruit in the game.

MT just has a higher quality of HS football than ND. From what I can gather from a few message boards, some of this due to a higher population so there are more kids to choose from. There is something like 200 HS teams in MT (granted, a lot of those are 6-man but there are still going to be few gems from the 6-man ranks) and only 90 in ND, so there is also probably a higher percentage of HS boys actually out playing football in MT compared to ND. Also, supposedly ND does not regularly get anywhere near their best 20-30 players to play in this game, and even if we did, we still probably wouldn't be anywhere near as dominant as MT has been.

Last, don't forget about the "Buffet-litis Effect." Speed kills.

Bisonation said:
Paytonlives said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Bisonation said:

Or
Won, Too, threee, fore

what are you talking about Zach Willis West Fargo, only NDSU recruit in the game.

Brant Bohmert - WR
Cody Mauch - TE/DE
Zach Willish - OL/DL

The three NDSU recruits that played in this game.

Jack Pifer - QB
Andrew Jones - RB/LB

The two UND recruits that played in this game.

The rest of the roster were all Division II or lower recruits.

From the sounds of it we got another stud LB in Marcus Welnel.

Anyone else there to make any observations on any of the other future Griz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jodcon said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Bisonation said:
VimSince03 said:

I think it was pretty apparent why NDSU does not recruit North Dakota.

So "winning the state" is not a critical element? I heard somewhere it was.

Not saying whether it is or isn't, but the flaw in your statement is comparing Montana to North Dakota.

brewskis said:

Matthew Rensvold is going to be a force at the H-Receiver spot in a few years. He played really well on offense.

Still don't know what position Nate Dick will have the best future at for the Griz. I would continue to develop him at QB to start then I think his next best spot would be in the slot.

Mitch Roberts is making a natural transition to WR and I predict he's in the rotation by the time he's a sophomore.

Braxton Reiten will start off at the Z for the Griz. Mostly played in the slot last Saturday.

Marcus Welnel had a really good day in coverage and overall performance. He lives in the weight room and will be 225 by the time he hits fall camp. The Griz are very deep at LB for years to come but if you can cover as a LB at the FCS level, you will see the field.

Michael McGinnis went from safety to corner to wide receiver by the time this game started. Michael is an athlete that can develop as a receiver or secondary player. Versatility equals value.

Tanner Wilson lined up at safety and was part of the dominant performance by the defensive secondary. Still interested to see where he lines up in fall camp.

If I had to rank how they played for one all-star game against North Dakota:

1) Marcus Welnel
2) Matthew Rensvold
3) Nate Dick
4) Mitch Roberts
5) Tanner Wilson
6) Michael McGinnis
7) Braxton Reiten

Keep in mind, the Deming twins didn't play in this game along with Trevor Hoerner at LB. Brayden and Trevor were both selected as starters and Bryson was an alternate. The only Griz recruit not on the roster as a selection or alternate was McKenzie Holt.

VimSince03 said:
brewskis said:

Matthew Rensvold is going to be a force at the H-Receiver spot in a few years. He played really well on offense.

Still don't know what position Nate Dick will have the best future at for the Griz. I would continue to develop him at QB to start then I think his next best spot would be in the slot.

Mitch Roberts is making a natural transition to WR and I predict he's in the rotation by the time he's a sophomore.

Braxton Reiten will start off at the Z for the Griz. Mostly played in the slot last Saturday.

Marcus Welnel had a really good day in coverage and overall performance. He lives in the weight room and will be 225 by the time he hits fall camp. The Griz are very deep at LB for years to come but if you can cover as a LB at the FCS level, you will see the field.

Michael McGinnis went from safety to corner to wide receiver by the time this game started. Michael is an athlete that can develop as a receiver or secondary player. Versatility equals value.

Tanner Wilson lined up at safety and was part of the dominant performance by the defensive secondary. Still interested to see where he lines up in fall camp.

If I had to rank how they played for one all-star game against North Dakota:

1) Marcus Welnel
2) Matthew Rensvold
3) Nate Dick
4) Mitch Roberts
5) Tanner Wilson
6) Michael McGinnis
7) Braxton Reiten

Keep in mind, the Deming twins didn't play in this game along with Trevor Hoerner at LB. Brayden and Trevor were both selected as starters and Bryson was an alternate. The only Griz recruit not on the roster as a selection or alternate was McKenzie Holt.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I said last week after the game that Marcus looked really good in his drops and I still think that. I will say that I do think Dick's best shot is at QB. Yes he is smaller, and he arm strength and accuracy isn't FCS caliber, but what he did at Senior is reason enough to give him a shot at QB. His arm may not have the huge play making ability but his legs do. Put him at QB purely due to the fact that he is a playmaker with the ball in his hands and that is the position that touches the ball every single play. If not QB then yes slot WR is the next best thing.

runtheoption said:
MT just has a higher quality of HS football than ND. From what I can gather from a few message boards, some of this due to a higher population so there are more kids to choose from. There is something like 200 HS teams in MT (granted, a lot of those are 6-man but there are still going to be few gems from the 6-man ranks) and only 90 in ND, so there is also probably a higher percentage of HS boys actually out playing football in MT compared to ND. Also, supposedly ND does not regularly get anywhere near their best 20-30 players to play in this game, and even if we did, we still probably wouldn't be anywhere near as dominant as MT has been.

:lol:

Great post. And FWIW, several of MT's best players opted out as well...

runtheoption said:

Montana has the highest quality of football per capita in the united states easily. The best of the best are bred in Montana as i'm sure you all can agree :thumb:

runtheoption said:

Montana doesn't even have HS hockey. Many hockey players skip fb now, and they are some of the better athletes. Bismarck and Minot schools have surpassed Fargo and West Fargo in hockey prowess, and sometimes even competes with Grand Forks schools.

UNDfan said:
runtheoption said:

Montana doesn't even have HS hockey. Many hockey players skip fb now, and they are some of the better athletes. Bismarck and Minot schools have surpassed Fargo and West Fargo in hockey prowess, and sometimes even competes with Grand Forks schools.

It's funny how North Dakotans brag about playing a sport on a frozen surface, yet won't play football outdoors because "it's too cold".

get'em_griz said:
UNDfan said:
runtheoption said:

It's funny how North Dakotans brag about playing a sport on a frozen surface, yet won't play football outdoors because "it's too cold".

Cole Rosling class of 2016. Played hokey at a decent level and went to the griz and a scholarship. That's just one example. Anything North Dakota can do Montana can do it better.

Back