• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2017 Badlands Bowl

Richard Cranium said:
Montana has produced one Olympian Casey ...

Montana Olympic Medalists

1. Anthony Washington
2. Dave Johnson
3. Dink Templeton
4. Heather McPhie
5. Jason Lamy-Champuios
6, Judy Martz i
7. Keely Kelleher
8. Leif Orin Zimmerman
9. Levi Leipheimer
10. Lones Wigger
11. Pavlina Filipova
12. Scott Davis
13. Eric Bergoust
14. Tommy Moe
15. Larry Questad
16. Jay Warwick (Demonstration sport)

UMGriz75 said:
Richard Cranium said:
Montana has produced one Olympian Casey ...

Montana Olympic Medalists

1. Anthony Washington
2. Dave Johnson
3. Dink Templeton
4. Heather McPhie
5. Jason Lamy-Champuios
6, Judy Martz i
7. Keely Kelleher
8. Leif Orin Zimmerman
9. Levi Leipheimer
10. Lones Wigger
11. Pavlina Filipova
12. Scott Davis
13. Eric Bergoust
14. Tommy Moe
15. Larry Questad
16. Jay Warwick (Demonstration sport)

I believe he was speaking specifically about hockey olympians.

UNDfan said:
runtheoption said:
MT just has a higher quality of HS football than ND. From what I can gather from a few message boards, some of this due to a higher population so there are more kids to choose from. There is something like 200 HS teams in MT (granted, a lot of those are 6-man but there are still going to be few gems from the 6-man ranks) and only 90 in ND, so there is also probably a higher percentage of HS boys actually out playing football in MT compared to ND. Also, supposedly ND does not regularly get anywhere near their best 20-30 players to play in this game, and even if we did, we still probably wouldn't be anywhere near as dominant as MT has been.

Last, don't forget about the "Buffet-litis Effect." Speed kills.

Montana doesn't even have HS hockey. Many hockey players skip fb now, and they are some of the better athletes. Bismarck and Minot schools have surpassed Fargo and West Fargo in hockey prowess, and sometimes even competes with Grand Forks schools.

Montana boys have plenty of alternatives for sports other than football. It isn't a foregone conclusion that all the best athletes play football anymore in any state. There are a lot of kids that focus on one sport and play that year round now. With numerous AAU tournaments and sports camps, off seasons aren't really even off seasons anymore, even at the middle school level.

I will say this though. I went to college in North Dakota and the Montana kids definitely grow up with more of a dedication and focus on football than North Dakota kids do. I think a lot of that is a culture thing and some good youth and high school programs/leadership in the state. An awful lot of it is tied to the success Montana kids have had playing college football at UM and MSU, with kids wanting to be the next Dickenson, Fellows, Huntsberger, etc...

I really don't see the lopsidedness of this game changing. North Dakota should probably be playing South Dakota or Wyoming.

20 minute highlight clip of the game. Couldn't get it to link like it used to. Or like I used to, lmao...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSvAkS1NwO8&t=191s

get'em_griz said:
UNDfan said:
runtheoption said:
MT just has a higher quality of HS football than ND. From what I can gather from a few message boards, some of this due to a higher population so there are more kids to choose from. There is something like 200 HS teams in MT (granted, a lot of those are 6-man but there are still going to be few gems from the 6-man ranks) and only 90 in ND, so there is also probably a higher percentage of HS boys actually out playing football in MT compared to ND. Also, supposedly ND does not regularly get anywhere near their best 20-30 players to play in this game, and even if we did, we still probably wouldn't be anywhere near as dominant as MT has been.

Montana doesn't even have HS hockey. Many hockey players skip fb now, and they are some of the better athletes. Bismarck and Minot schools have surpassed Fargo and West Fargo in hockey prowess, and sometimes even competes with Grand Forks schools.

It's funny how North Dakotans brag about playing a sport on a frozen surface, yet won't play football outdoors because "it's too cold".
We want our grand parents and great grandparents to show up. We respect our elders.

UNDfan said:
get'em_griz said:
UNDfan said:
runtheoption said:

It's funny how North Dakotans brag about playing a sport on a frozen surface, yet won't play football outdoors because "it's too cold".
We want our grand parents and great grandparents to show up. We respect our elders.

Yeah, ok. That's why you build a dome. Sure.

DuCharme said:
UNDfan said:
get'em_griz said:
UNDfan said:

North Dakota has a tradition of building facilities in all our cities where older people can get out in the winter. They are called convention centers, exhibition halls, arenas, something that is practically unknown in the wilds of Montana.

UNDfan said:
DuCharme said:
UNDfan said:
get'em_griz said:

North Dakota has a tradition of building facilities in all our cities where older people can get out in the winter. They are called convention centers, exhibition halls, arenas, something that is practically unknown in the wilds of Montana.

God this is laughable

UNDfan said:
DuCharme said:
UNDfan said:
get'em_griz said:

and, in spite of all that, Montana still manages to welcome more than 5 million tourists each year..hmmm And, in South Carolina, where I live most of the year, people know that Montana is the GRIZ...most here wouldn't know where or who NDSU is much less UND....I am not being insulting, just telling you truth.

GrizLA said:
UNDfan said:
DuCharme said:
UNDfan said:

and, in spite of all that, Montana still manages to welcome more than 5 million tourists each year..hmmm And, in South Carolina, where I live most of the year, people know that Montana is the GRIZ...most here wouldn't know where or who NDSU is much less UND....I am not being insulting, just telling you truth.
You will have to get to know it when your Regents move you to the Summit League.

UNDfan said:
GrizLA said:
UNDfan said:
DuCharme said:

You will have to get to know it when your Regents move you to the Summit League.

Actually, Montana is the only school playing football at the FCS that South Carolinians know. I believe there are 7 or so FCS schools in the state, and they all pretty much measure their programs by Montana's...sorry. When Coastal Carolina went to Missoula and won over a poorly coached team it inspired them to be FBS...UND and all those schools you think are so great, are not so great in the eyes of the football world...sorry.

UNDfan said:
runtheoption said:

UND Souix Hockey; giving Saskatchewan and Manitoba kids who can't play in WHL a chance to still put skates on. Just kidding Wisconsin, Minnesota and the Souix are probably the top US collegiate programs.

SaskGriz said:
UNDfan said:
runtheoption said:

UND Souix Hockey; giving Saskatchewan and Manitoba kids who can't play in WHL a chance to still put skates on. Just kidding Wisconsin, Minnesota and the Souix are probably the top US collegiate programs.
Yeah, Toews, Oshie, and Parise are a who's who of the NHL, UND alums, but they couldn't play in the WHL!!! What a joke!

BC, BU, Denver and us are the powers teams now. Wisconsin has been dreadful for years.

Penn St is coming on now though. Maybe Montana St will do a feasibility study for hockey now that the NHL will pay for five studies. They like the product produced.

GrizLA said:
UNDfan said:
GrizLA said:
UNDfan said:

Actually, Montana is the only school playing football at the FCS that South Carolinians know. I believe there are 7 or so FCS schools in the state, and they all pretty much measure their programs by Montana's...sorry. When Coastal Carolina went to Missoula and won over a poorly coached team it inspired them to be FBS...UND and all those schools you think are so great, are not so great in the eyes of the football world...sorry.

And reality slaps poor little UNDFan in the face once again.

AZGrizFan said:
GrizLA said:
UNDfan said:
GrizLA said:

And reality slaps poor little UNDFan in the face once again.

That is so delusional. Live just a hop, skip and jump from Greenville-Spartanburg, and almost all people don't give a crap about FCS, and dont know shit about Griz football.

It's all Clemson talk, not piss ant FCS programs.

Back