• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2017 SPRING SCRIMMAGE -- APRIL 22 -- BUTTE

Minute video of where the Griz spring scrimmage will be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaSj1fG38M8

1) Entrance 1 is where you will enter, and where the tailgate will be. (It is the Northwest corner, on the intersection of S. Main St and E. Silver St.) It is directly to the right of the guy speaking.

2) This video was taken in 2014 when the place had grass. Turf has since been installed, in 2016.

For you history buffs: (taken from a plaque outside Naranche Stadium)

This stadium was originally constructed in 1937 and was known as Butte High Stadium. In 1942 the stadium was renamed Naranche Memorial Stadium, after former Butte High football star Eso Naranche, who was killed in action on June 1, 1942 in North Africa while serving in the United States Army as a Lieutenant. Naranche was an All-State Butte High Bulldog football player who later starred for the University of Montana Grizzlies from 1939-1941 and was an All-American fullback in his final year for the Grizzlies. He played in the 1942 East-West Shrine game at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans, Louisiana and intercepted a pass for the West team. Eso Naranche was elected into the Grizzly Sports Hall of Fame in November 1995.

Naranche Stadium has played host to numerous historic events throughout it's history, including the June 8, 1948 speech by President Harry Truman during his re-election campaign, two motorcycle jumps by Butte Daredevil Robert "Evil" Knievel in 1966 and 1969, some of the intra-state football games between the University of Montana and Montana State Univsersity were played here between 1926 and 1951, and hundreds of Butte High School and Butte Central football games, including numerous Montana State Championship football games.

In 1973, a section of the wooden bleachers in the stadium caught on fire and the Stadium was condemned, resulting in all high school games being moved to Montana Tech and later to Bulldog Memorial Stadium at East Middle School. In 2002, Butte School District No. 1 began the arduous task of reconstructing Naranche Stadium to enhance the Butte High School campus, revitalize the uptown area, and restore the tradition and history associated with Naranche Stadium. The reconstruction project was completed in 2011. Naranche Stadium will once again host football and other events on the campus of Butte High School.

I played football for BHS in the upper 80's. We practiced at the condemned Naranche Stadium every day, while he held our games at Bulldog Memorial Stadium at East Junior High. Which was/is a very nice, large stadium by the way, but had a track surrounding the field that pushed the fans back. I would have given my left you know what to have played at the new Naranche (on top of the field) on Fri nights. Is the Griz scrimmage here yet?!?! Can't wait. Go Griz.

After Friday's (tonight at 5p) scrimmage, the Griz will have only two full-pads practices left on the schedule to get in game-ready form before the proverbial lights go on at the annual Spring Game in Butte on April 22.

Montana has been fine tuning the details over the past week, and Stitt wants to make sure that his team is ready to roll when the pressure is on in a road game environment. Last season the Griz struggled on the road at 1-4, with the only win coming against then-ranked No. 3 Northern Iowa.

"I'm really looking forward to the spring game because we're on the road and we need to learn to play as well on the road as we do at home. There's going to be a lot of great fans there (yeah, me :lol: :thumb: ), and the kids are going to have to perform."

The 2017 Spring Game presented by Northwestern Mutual is set to kick off at 1 p.m. on Saturday, April 22, at Butte's historic Naranche Stadium.

Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for children and can be purchased at the Adams Center Box Office, online at GrizTix.com or at the gate on game day.

Proceeds from the spring game support the Grizzly Scholarship Association.

Friday's scrimmage (tonight at 5p) is free and open to the public.

PARKING -

I suggest coming early for the 1 pm scrimmage.

For one, because the tailgate/fun starts at 11 am.

And for another, because parking is at a AA high school and not at a Div 1 FCS University. There is actually really good parking up and down S. Main street right next to the field. But that will go quick. The 2nd best option is a student parking lot just West of the field a block. But again, those spots will go fairly quick. The nearby side streets are also good parking spots. So the remaining 4th option is the largest school parking lot, which is on the south east end of the school campus, on E. Platinum St (off S. Main St. a block).

One thing to remember is S. Main St. is on a hill (they don't call it the 'Richest Hill on Earth' for nothing). So if you or a loved one has limited mobility, you won't want to park down in that 4th option. The field does have excellent handicapped/wheelchair seating, the best view in the house.

LET'S GO GRIZ

Wondering if anyone knows where the high school track meets are held in relation to Naranche Stadium? My son has a track meet at 2 or 2:30 that day in Butte.

cmtgrizzly said:
Wondering if anyone knows where the high school track meets are held in relation to Naranche Stadium? My son has a track meet at 2 or 2:30 that day in Butte.

Your son will be competing at EAST MIDDLE SCHOOL, 2600 Grand Ave.

The 1:00 pm Griz scrimmage will be at NARANCHE STADIUM (Butte High campus), 401 S. Wyoming St.

(They are 2.5 to 3.0 miles apart, so 7 to 10 min, depending on the streets you take)

IntuitiveGriz said:
cmtgrizzly said:

Your son will be competing at EAST MIDDLE SCHOOL, 2600 Grand Ave.

The 1:00 pm Griz scrimmage will be at NARANCHE STADIUM (Butte High campus), 401 S. Wyoming St.

(They are 2.5 to 3.0 miles apart, so 7 to 10 min, depending on the streets you take)

Typing the two addresses above into a car or phone gps will get you there no prob.

To get from Naranche Stadium to East Middle School track (actually called Bulldog Memorial Stadium), you'll want to head 2 blocks north (uphill) of the Naranche Stadium and then:

Turn right onto E Mercury St
243 ft

Turn right at the 1st cross street onto S Arizona Ave
0.2 mi

Continue onto Utah Ave
0.6 mi

Turn left onto E Front St
0.2 mi

Continue onto Harrison Ave
0.3 mi

Turn left onto Grand Ave
Destination will be on the right
1.0 mi
East Middle School
2600 Grand Ave, Butte, MT 59701

cmtgrizzly said:

Hopefully he'll be back here for the State AA-B Track & Field Meet, May 26-27, 2017.

Thanks for the Intuitive. Would like to try to catch a little of the game before the meet. Hopefully will be back for state. My son has a lot to learn as this is his 1st year of track but did make varsity. My daughter did too but she is only a freshman so might make state for varsity relays but will be tough for individual sprints.

A GSA tailgating section will be roped off on E. Silver Street, which is directly on the north side of the stadium. In fact, it butts right up to the stadium.

Beverages will be available, and food vendors selling Butte specialties will be on hand for the two-hour pre-game tailgate,

Absolutely no alchohol will be allowed to enter inside Naranche Stadium, thank you.

IntuitiveGriz said:
A GSA tailgating section will be roped off on E. Silver Street, which is directly on the north side of the stadium. In fact, it butts right up to the stadium.

Beverages will be available, and food vendors selling Butte specialties will be on hand for the two-hour pre-game tailgate,

Absolutely no alchohol will be allowed to enter inside Naranche Stadium, thank you.

Can you buy tickets at the gate prior to the game??

info said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Can you buy tickets at the gate prior to the game??

YES, SIR!

You can buy them at the Northwest Entrance to the stadium (on S. Main St./E, Silver St.), which is convenient because that entrance is just outside the tailgate.

Should be plenty of good seats with the spring game being televised for the first time, that and with Montana Tech holding it's spring game at 1:00 pm in Butte as well.

The weather forecast is a nice 54 degrees at 1:00 pm, 56 degrees at 2:00 pm, and dry.

Latest posts

Back