• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

3 reasons for and 3 reasons against an improved 2016 defense

BWahlberg

DONOR
Trying to keep some Grizzly football discussions going here. What would you guys add to the list?

Reasons for an improved defense

1. Building off last season - as reports and press conference statements suggest there was a shift in the Grizzly defense on the final stretch of the season with big wins against strong offenses in EWU, MSU, and SDSU. Reports rolled in that the defense suddenly showed some very different looks, masked personnel differently, and used all new blitzes. This would suggest that if our new DC Jason Semore did provide the input that was rumored to be given, this defense will continue to grow. The 2016 defense seems to promise mixed looks of 3-4 and 4-3 defenses with 3-3-5 as well. It confused teams last season and with a full year to build on it things the defense should be a bear to prepare for. Additionally the additions of a safety coach in Schillenger and LBs coach in Niekamp gives Semore time to be a "walk-around DC" that can focus all over and not have to focus directly on the LBs like Gregorak did in daily practices.

2. This group is full of hitters and run-stoppers - yes all defenders that play at this level like to hit, but some just excel more. In the prior years the LB corps has been mostly made up of lighter and faster safeties that were converted to LBs. Now the LB corps will feature a mix of kids that came here as LBs out of high school and guys who have demonstrated on special teams and in defensive sets that they defend the run well and can lay the wood. Add in the hard-hitting safeties we have, the larger corners that are projected to start, and the new transfers at the D-line and you've got a lot of large and physical players out there. It's been a trade-off these last few years, improved pass coverage but getting ground out against run teams. This roster suggests a return to a top-tier rush defense.

3. We might have some of the best individual position players in the Big Sky - While maybe a bold prediction in some departments I do believe that this defense will have some of the very best in the Big Sky, if not the FCS. It starts with JR Nelson and Caleb Kidder. These two guys are some of the best in the business and key players that should help the defense. Can JR Nelson have a Trumaine Johnson-esque effect and lock down a portion of the field like we saw in 2011? Can Kidder become a Duncan / Saenz / Takai type of road block in the middle of the field? Beyond them I'm fully bought in to Connor Strahm and Josh Buss. Are they the best in the Big Sky? No, not yet. But they're going to surprise. Strahm is a menace and a bully on the field. Buss reminds me of a young Jordan Tripp.

And then the three reasons against improvement

1. No dominant pass-rusher - In all of our recent years it seems there's been an easy hand-off from dominant pass-rusher to the next. Now I'm not saying we don't have one, I'm expecting a lot from Ryan Johnson this year, but there isn't that heir-apparent that's just waiting and ready to go that I can see. In the pass-heavy Big Sky the Griz are going to need a few young D-ends to step up and will need Ryan Johnson to move to the next level. I believe he can, but we're going to have to wait and see.

2. Too many fresh starters - 8 of 11 will be new to the field. That's A LOT. The defense is bringing in transfers and moving a few guys around to build the defense up. One could point out that of some of the expected starters like McKinley, Delaney, Strahm, Buss, & Johnson that there were plenty of reps to be had on ST and situational spots... but that's a long stretch from that to starting full time. Prior years have also suggested that teams with a lot of turnover on the defense take step back (2008, 2012, 2014) but usually rebound the following year with experience (2009, 2013, 2015).

3. Big gap of inexperience at safety - Yamen Sanders returns as the only safety with experience, he had a good season as a run stopper but showed some needed improvement in the passing game (especially on big plays/deep passes/play-fakes). Manu Rasmussen was expected to start alongside him, but now he's transferred out. That leaves two walk-ons and two red shirt freshman. Mick Delaney made some noise on ST last season, but I don't think he really played a down at safety in games. Beyond that there's Timmons, Epperly, Sandry, and Williams... none of whom have played a down I don't think (plus there's Crow who arrives in the fall technically). Much like D-end we've got a vital position in the defense that'll need a few younger guys to adapt FAST.

(and yes I could've easily added "no Ty Gregorak" to a reason but I figured I'd focus more on roster and current coach based outlooks)

Nicely done. I think your reasons against are a bit stronger than reasons for, but not by much.

One thing that can and should mitigate a small downturn in defensive performance is improved offensive consistency. If we can convert a higher rate of third downs, improve red zone efficiency, and keep our QB healthy...then defense will have a chance to mature.

Really need a few guys to step up at EVERY position on defense. Safety and DE seem particularly thin. Yamen and Ryan Johnson being the only two guys that I can think of with serious playing experience. I like Markell Sanders and most any LB to step up and fill starting roles just fine.

Really interested to see what changes Semore brings to the defense. HUGE changes to that side of the ball this offseason between coaching turnover and graduating seniors.

I fail to see any mention of Tucker Schey. I believe this kid will light up this defense....I believe this defense will be better than last year. Maybe because of the passion I know these kids will play with! HEART!

SoldierGriz said:
Nicely done... If we can convert a higher rate of third downs, improve red zone efficiency, and keep our QB healthy...then defense will have a chance to mature.

This. Better offense, better defense.

Oh hell! One Griz nut case is going to toss in the Gregorak VS Semore case so I'll go first.
Ty did a good job as a DC. But his weak point was he concentrated waaaay to much on the LBs and not enough on the DBs etc. His very strong suit was his raw raw ---- talent and ability to become "friends" with his players especially the LBs. Overall he did a good job and I like him and my wife simply loves the guy.

Semore is a coach I have only met once and I am guessing a bit on what I think I know about him. He is progressive in his thinking and he has the ability to think outside the box. As his defense gets going the next few years I beleive he will have us in a much better position so as we won't get beat by the Polys and PSs and other teams we should beat. Also he is in tune with Stitt. Ty was not!

I look forward to watching our defense come out smokin the next few years. Toss in some 3 - 4 sets among other new inovative changes and I think we will end up with a far better defense the next few seasons because of the DC coaching change.

Umista said:
Oh hell! One Griz nut case is going to toss in the Gregorak VS Semore case so I'll go first.
Ty did a good job as a DC. But his weak point was he concentrated waaaay to much on the LBs and not enough on the DBs etc. His very strong suit was his raw raw ---- talent and ability to become "friends" with his players especially the LBs. Overall he did a good job and I like him and my wife simply loves the guy.

Semore is a coach I have only met once and I am guessing a bit on what I think I know about him. He is progressive in his thinking and he has the ability to think outside the box. As his defense gets going the next few years I beleive he will have us in a much better position so as we won't get beat by the Polys and PSs and other teams we should beat. Also he is in tune with Stitt. Ty was not!

I look forward to watching our defense come out smokin the next few years. Toss in some 3 - 4 sets among other new inovative changes and I think we will end up with a far better defense the next few seasons because of the DC coaching change.
Someone had to say it....well done U. I feel great about Semore. Change is constant in all things, especially college football. I believe we will be better off in Stitt's tenure with Semore in control of the defense.

Umista said:

I will stick with the views of other coaches, including Delaney who supported TG for head coach and former assistants who must have suggested and supported TG for DC at Hawaii, and multitudes of players. Yes, Semore will be on the same page as Stitt. And various coaches and players have said good things about Semore, including that he knows alot about defense and people like him. My main worry about Semore is his relatively small amount of coaching and DC experience (he was a grad asst at Okla St 3 seasons ago). Hopefully, he knows enough and has enough experience to be a good or pretty good DC at this level immediately. Hopefully, some shift towards to 3-4 won't throw off the defense until they learn it well. Hopefully, he can cause the new players to fit in with the current players right away.

Well said BW. A lot of questions but a lot of positives to point to as well.

Depth at the safety is a concern, but given Semore worked with this group last season and didn’t bring in a transfer, I feel better about the group that is returning.

Whether it was Ty leaving or Stitt forcing him out, his departure is a huge plus for this team moving forward. That is no knock on Ty. Last season Stitt was trying to instill his style, which is very disciplined and business-like, with a player friendly DC who I’ sure many of the player thought should have gotten the HC job.. Anyone else not surprised this didn’t work out??

Bottom line, Stitt has his guy and I think he will do good things with this defense. In the little I’ve heard from Semore, I’ve been impressed. He’s sharp, creative, and confident in his vision.

Ca9Ggr-UUAEn8CT.jpg:large

As some pointed out as well - if the offense can show improvement in points per game/TOP/and 3rd down conversions that could go a long way to help the defense as well. A few of our losses (Poly and Weber) were by a very small margin. With a better offense and the same defensive output the Griz would've been 9-2 entering the playoffs and probably had a week off and wouldn't have been travelling to NDSU in that 2nd round.

BWahlberg said:
Trying to keep some Grizzly football discussions going here. What would you guys add to the list?

Reasons for an improved defense

1. Building off last season - as reports and press conference statements suggest there was a shift in the Grizzly defense on the final stretch of the season with big wins against strong offenses in EWU, MSU, and SDSU. Reports rolled in that the defense suddenly showed some very different looks, masked personnel differently, and used all new blitzes. This would suggest that if our new DC Jason Semore did provide the input that was rumored to be given, this defense will continue to grow. The 2016 defense seems to promise mixed looks of 3-4 and 4-3 defenses with 3-3-5 as well. It confused teams last season and with a full year to build on it things the defense should be a bear to prepare for. Additionally the additions of a safety coach in Schillenger and LBs coach in Niekamp gives Semore time to be a "walk-around DC" that can focus all over and not have to focus directly on the LBs like Gregorak did in daily practices.

2. This group is full of hitters and run-stoppers - yes all defenders that play at this level like to hit, but some just excel more. In the prior years the LB corps has been mostly made up of lighter and faster safeties that were converted to LBs. Now the LB corps will feature a mix of kids that came here as LBs out of high school and guys who have demonstrated on special teams and in defensive sets that they defend the run well and can lay the wood. Add in the hard-hitting safeties we have, the larger corners that are projected to start, and the new transfers at the D-line and you've got a lot of large and physical players out there. It's been a trade-off these last few years, improved pass coverage but getting ground out against run teams. This roster suggests a return to a top-tier rush defense.

3. We might have some of the best individual position players in the Big Sky - While maybe a bold prediction in some departments I do believe that this defense will have some of the very best in the Big Sky, if not the FCS. It starts with JR Nelson and Caleb Kidder. These two guys are some of the best in the business and key players that should help the defense. Can JR Nelson have a Trumaine Johnson-esque effect and lock down a portion of the field like we saw in 2011? Can Kidder become a Duncan / Saenz / Takai type of road block in the middle of the field? Beyond them I'm fully bought in to Connor Strahm and Josh Buss. Are they the best in the Big Sky? No, not yet. But they're going to surprise. Strahm is a menace and a bully on the field. Buss reminds me of a young Jordan Tripp.

And then the three reasons against improvement

1. No dominant pass-rusher - In all of our recent years it seems there's been an easy hand-off from dominant pass-rusher to the next. Now I'm not saying we don't have one, I'm expecting a lot from Ryan Johnson this year, but there isn't that heir-apparent that's just waiting and ready to go that I can see. In the pass-heavy Big Sky the Griz are going to need a few young D-ends to step up and will need Ryan Johnson to move to the next level. I believe he can, but we're going to have to wait and see.

2. Too many fresh starters - 8 of 11 will be new to the field. That's A LOT. The defense is bringing in transfers and moving a few guys around to build the defense up. One could point out that of some of the expected starters like McKinley, Delaney, Strahm, Buss, & Johnson that there were plenty of reps to be had on ST and situational spots... but that's a long stretch from that to starting full time. Prior years have also suggested that teams with a lot of turnover on the defense take step back (2008, 2012, 2014) but usually rebound the following year with experience (2009, 2013, 2015).

3. Big gap of inexperience at safety - Yamen Sanders returns as the only safety with experience, he had a good season as a run stopper but showed some needed improvement in the passing game (especially on big plays/deep passes/play-fakes). Manu Rasmussen was expected to start alongside him, but now he's transferred out. That leaves two walk-ons and two red shirt freshman. Mick Delaney made some noise on ST last season, but I don't think he really played a down at safety in games. Beyond that there's Timmons, Epperly, Sandry, and Williams... none of whom have played a down I don't think (plus there's Crow who arrives in the fall technically). Much like D-end we've got a vital position in the defense that'll need a few younger guys to adapt FAST.

(and yes I could've easily added "no Ty Gregorak" to a reason but I figured I'd focus more on roster and current coach based outlooks)

And so far a personal foul machine with some of the dumbest plays of last season.

BWahlberg said:
Loved the personal fouls. About time someone puts a scare into the other guys.
Are you nuts, at 15 yds/foul? I'd think good, clean, hard hitting would do the same. Also, a good way to get ejected.

Grizzoola said:
BWahlberg said:
Are you nuts, at 15 yds/foul? I'd think good, clean, hard hitting would do the same. Also, a good way to get ejected.

Thought you were a fan of Hauck? Did you ever watch his teams play? They averaged a few personal fouls per game!

BWahlberg said:
Grizzoola said:
BWahlberg said:

Thought you were a fan of Hauck? Did you ever watch his teams play? They averaged a few personal fouls per game!

Very very true. That's what I loved about Hauck coached teams. Swagger!!!

Back