• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

#4 Montana @ #1 NDSU Game Thread

havgrizfan said:
Actually, the game was EVERY bit as close as the final score says. Yes Montana's offense was clamped down on by NDSU. But UM's defense did the same when it came to points. Or Monte, are you saying that every time NDSU kicked a FG, they should have gone for it on fourth and would have got it? That's just stupid. THE OBJECT of the defense is to STOP the other team's offense from gaining first downs, scoring touchdowns and giving up as few as points as possible. Montana's D did that today REGARDLESS of NDSU's rushing numbers. Eastern Washington and MSU's defenses would have allowed the Bizon DOUBLE what they scored against the Griz today.

BUT, UM's offense didn't hold up its end of the bargain. Holding the three-time national champ to ONE TD and 22 points, I'll take that performance EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK. The GRiz did NOT get dominated today. PERIOD. THE END. Klieman said in the postgame "We are darn lucky to be able to walk off the field with a victory today. That was one of the toughest tests from a defense we've had to face here in years."
:thumb:

Tell you what, get NDSU away from the MVFC officials today and I would say at least 5 more PI calls. They are very physical but got away with a lot of contact. Our O-Line had better gel or this will be a long season....our playcalling needs to get better and JJ is still off.....here is hoping UNC is just what the Dr. ordered.

PlayerRep said:
Given how good the Bison are on both sides of the ball, and how weak our offense was much of the time, the Griz, especially the D, played well. The o-line was having trouble giving JJ time. Probably not a big surprise, given the strength of NDSU's defense, the general lack of running game for the Griz, and the inexperience of the o-line. The o needs to find a way to finish those drives, and score from the red zone. Those possible TD's would have been huge. Congrats to the Griz. Congrats to the Bison. It was a very good game. Hard fought. Not won or lost of big mistakes, bad calls, etc.

considering that the bison have only one returning starting offensive lineman, watching this game you could see that they were well coached, stayed on assignment and demonstrated excellent blocking, blocking, blocking. 40 minutes of football for their offense out of 60 against our defense is outstanding and=sound coaching/play calling and having a couple of excellent runners. we have the runners and we are missing the rest that would equal their play.

Grisly Fan said:
Beating a team with a 27 game win streak in their house is a very tall order. JJ as a pocket passer is a disaster. Running the spread he would be a very different story with the talent the Griz have on the edges. Talent wasted...

you obviously didn't see his passes on the run today. his better completions were from the pocket.

Grisly Fan said:
Beating a team with a 27 game win streak in their house is a very tall order. JJ as a pocket passer is a disaster. Running the spread he would be a very different story with the talent the Griz have on the edges. Talent wasted...
Post of the day.

argh! said:
Grisly Fan said:

you obviously didn't see his passes on the run today. his better completions were from the pocket.

In large part because JJ threw while running for his life and not on designed roll outs too many times. JJ used to make good yards keeping the ball on the (few) read option plays. He needs to keep it more I think. He is still throwing high too many times. To argue with PlayerRep (pointless I know) our red zone success was 2/3. Just didn't get there enough.

GrizMusician said:
Grisly Fan said:
Post of the day.

Yup....

griznation23 said:
Dang 12 points with a weak offensive line... On a second thought we did fine.
Please. Bison f-ing toyed with the griz. Should have been 14+ worse. Take away 2 long pass plays and the griz stats look worse than horrible. "Wags" didn't do shit and JJ will be a sore dude tomorrow thanks to #53. By the way JJ is a very good QB.

503Griz said:
I gotta think an offense like EWU's would absolutely torch NDSU.
You should ask EWU how Towson's D tasted last year. Towson was a team built like NDSU, and they handled EWU's offense just fine. Only problem is, NDSU's D is much better.

marenlee said:
503Griz said:
You should ask EWU how Towson's D tasted last year. Towson was a team built like NDSU, and they handled EWU's offense just fine. Only problem is, NDSU's D is much better.

:roll:

It's not last year.

An average UM offense kept things interesting, and your offense wasn't that great.

'Toyed with the Griz' is hilarious.

Like I said, EWU would absolutely torch NDSU and I'm excited to watch it. Your fanbase deserves as much.

westnodak93bison said:
griznation23 said:
Please. Bison f-ing toyed with the griz. Should have been 14+ worse. Take away 2 long pass plays and the griz stats look worse than horrible. "Wags" didn't do shit and JJ will be a sore dude tomorrow thanks to #53. By the way JJ is a very good QB.

When you've been there before, you win with class, you lose with class. That's something you have yet to find. Congratulations to the Bison football TEAM on the win today.

503Griz said:
marenlee said:
503Griz said:

It's not last year.

An average UM offense kept things interesting, and your offense wasn't that great.

Like I said, EWU would absolutely torch NDSU and I'm excited to watch it. Your fanbase deserves as much.

Ugh... No crap. If I'm not mistaken, EWU was lights out last year also. How different are they this year? I find it funny you're quick to defend EWU, who has shown every year to choke it away to someone resembling a decent defense.

westnodak93bison said:
griznation23 said:

come back when the alcohol wears off. Bison deserved to win but they did not blow the Griz out by 30 like most of you pukes over on the Bison board were spewing all week. IF the Montana offense gels I would like another chance at NDSU.

Most fans on both sides have a great deal of class. It's the few aholes on both side that really stick out. I'm sure the Griz fans that made the trip to Fargo enjoyed their time. Would it not be great to have another game in Frisco? The only other team I think I could maybe be more excited for would be EWU. We should do this every year!

westnodak93bison said:
griznation23 said:
Shoulda woulda coulda, our "weak" D held ur powerful offense to only one TD and our horrible O line helped Bison keep the game alive. And yes, if our Oline could hang, JJ "woulda" done much better. Good game.

503Griz said:
marenlee said:
503Griz said:

It's not last year.

If EWU would absolutely torch NDSU, I can't even fathom how bad they would beat Montana. That game would be over after the first period.

griznation23 said:
Shoulda woulda coulda, our "weak" D held ur powerful offense to only one TD and our horrible O line helped Bison keep the game alive. And yes, if our Oline could hang, JJ "woulda" done much better. Good game.

I have heard this many many times from Bison opponents over the past 3 years. NDSU has a young offense that is not that great, and has a young O-Line, and a new QB. Scored just enough to win today. Griz D-Line did a great job today, one of the few that did not wear down as the game progressed.

JohnnyExtacy said:
If EWU would absolutely torch NDSU, I can't even fathom how bad they would beat Montana. That game would be over after the first period.

Add poster #1,250,000 to state this to the list. Unfortunately, EWU has not appeared in Frisco to present it's great offense. They are a great offense, but in the playoffs, there has been other teams that have defended it good enough to win. Saying EWU will torch NDSU really means nothing until they actually play the game.

To the rest of the Griz fans, best of luck the rest of the season. :thumb:

503Griz said:
marenlee said:
503Griz said:

It's not last year.

It wasn't UM's offense that kept it interesting. If you think it was your offense that kept the game interesting, you need to find a replay of the game and re-watch it. Your offense was almost non-existent with the exception of the one long pass. Your defense on the other hand, specifically the red zone defense, was very good and that is what kept the game interesting. I thought it was a very good game, and ended up being about as close as I thought it would. I was thinking it would be 2 scores.

As far as EWU goes, I haven't seen them play, so I don't know what to think about them. From what it sounds like though, NDSU would probably score double what they scored today, and I doubt they have played a defense as good as NDSU's. It would be a very interesting game. And if you think EWU would torch NDSU, what do you think they would do to Montana? The Griz gave up 440+ yards to an offense that "wasn't that great". I'm assuming that means I can expect to see EWU put up about 800 yards on Montana?

I understand that you're upset about the game, but by attempting to tear NDSU down, it just makes your team look that much worse. It was a great game between two very good teams. I think Montana will be very tough in the Big Sky, and I hope you guys win the rest of your regular season games.

Back