• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

#5 Montana @ Wyoming Game Thread

qwerty15ster said:
Guys, we just lost to an FBS team by 5 points with a BRAND new O-line. Let's chill out a little. We'll get better as the year goes on. There were a lot of positives in this game.

Yes - an FBS team that is very, very poor. The players may improve, but how about the coaching. Three years of scratch your head, what the hell is going on, why did they do that? The damn announcers were even confused as to what the heck was going on in the fourth with use of timeouts and the play calling on the last drive was atrocious. I hope you are correct about improving. The Griz fan base will begin losing their patience if not.

some things you can fix, some things you cant. apparently hermanson tackling Rb's with the back of his rib cage is here to stay. HORRIBLE special teams....here to stay. unbelievable head coaching decisions....here to stay.

also, am i missing something, or should it have been our ball with 12 seconds left....? TV said is was 4th down when they downed it.

Eriul said:
A lot of positives to the game but anyone with any football IQ can see that Montana is going to have a LOOOOONG season and JJ is going to have a short season if the o-line doesn't improve fast.

That's some damned fine analysis there...

Copper Griz said:
qwerty15ster said:
Guys, we just lost to an FBS team by 5 points with a BRAND new O-line. Let's chill out a little. We'll get better as the year goes on. There were a lot of positives in this game.

Yes - an FBS team that is very, very poor. The players may improve, but how about the coaching. Three years of scratch your head, what the hell is going on, why did they do that? The damn announcers were even confused as to what the heck was going on in the fourth with use of timeouts and the play calling on the last drive was atrocious. I hope you are correct about improving. The Griz fan base will begin losing their patience if not.
I thought it was a good call to use the time-outs.
It worked.... got the griz the ball and if we had just executed... dropped pass..etc. maybe we pull off a HUGE upset....
Sorry... Nobody really thought we "should" or maybe even "could" beat Wyo....
We'll be fine..

Copper Griz said:
qwerty15ster said:

I really didn't think the play calling was that bad this game. The last series is really more of Van's and Saylor's fault. Van turned around and lost five yards on 1st down. Mitch dropped an easy catch on 2nd. Puts us in third and long. I think you could clearly see JJ didn't like his first reads, so he went with the checkdown instead. There was still 5 minutes left in the game at that point. Trust our defense.

On the timeouts.... When they are taken doesn't seem to matter too much. They save the same amount of time either way. I think they worked well in this instance because we got the ball back after using the first two. Unfortunately the offense couldn't do much with it.

astutegriz said:
A quote that has stuck with me is "there are not a lot of brains in football." Still, Delaney the past few years has done more dumb things I have ... Never... Seen... Before.

The announcers were "befuddled" at some of the coaching decisions. I know it's early, new o-line, etc, etc but it seems like we're picking up right where we left off last year. From the play calling to the tackling and ending up with the coaching decisions. I had Pokes by 8 - but not like this - this was ugly.

We'll be OK on defense - improve angles, tackling, etc. But something on offense needs to change - maybe it will when the o-line gains some experience but it's very frustrating watching the offense work - similar to a few games last year. Maybe I was expecting too much, too early.

Copper Griz said:
qwerty15ster said:

I have to agree with this. This staff just seems over their heads sometimes and makes very quesionable decisions both in play calling and on field decisions. UGH

smarsh said:
some things you can fix, some things you cant. apparently hermanson tackling Rb's with the back of his rib cage is here to stay. HORRIBLE special teams....here to stay. unbelievable head coaching decisions....here to stay.

also, am i missing something, or should it have been our ball with 12 seconds left....? TV said is was 4th down when they downed it.

I also thought there was time on the clock, but I think the game clock on TV was incorrect. I believe there should have only been two seconds left when Wyoming snapped it. They should have just had to step back and take a knee. Doesn't matter. The coaches would have tried to run Van off tackle if there was time left!

also, am i missing something, or should it have been our ball with 12 seconds left....? TV said is was 4th down when they downed it.[/quote]

I was wondering this too. I'm guessing the clock was wrong on the TV.

This is going to be another season where the defense has to bail us out isn't it.

Still, first game of the season with an green O-Line isn't exactly a barometer for how the rest of the year will follow. Let's see how the season unfolds first before we declare the Griz doomed and beg MVD to come to Missoula.

smarsh said:

I thought the same thing, but figured I didn't know something. 2nd and goal was the read option to #8, 3rd and goal was the QB rollout slide, refs reset the clock to 34 seconds, 4th and goal was the kneel with 12ish seconds left.

qwerty15ster said:
We lost to a team a good FCS teams would have beat today.

mtgrizrule said:
I have a feeling this will be a long unpleasant 2 weeks on egriz.

Coaching staff really over thought things on that last possession. The offense had just moved the ball well for a TD in the hurry up. Yet they decide to run the ball on 1st down, and go with shorter plays. Did the staff forget the offense was also at their best last season in a hurry up offense?

I really don't understand this staff at times.

On a positive note. The defense played well after the 1st Wyoming possession, up until they felt they had to stop tackling and go for stripping the ball. I'm really not that worried about the defense.

If you only run the football for 42 yards in a game you will not win. I don't care how bad the team you're playing is. The Griz had a 2.2 yard rushing average vs Wyo. That will not get it done.

pussycatkillerz said:
So Wyo takes a knee on 4th down with 11 seconds left and we don't get the ball with 11 seconds??? Wtf

TV clock was not the same as the game clock

Thanks for coming down to play guys. A close game as many thought it would be.

Good luck in the SKY.

qwerty15ster said:
Copper Griz said:
qwerty15ster said:

I really didn't think the play calling was that bad this game. The last series is really more of Van's and Saylor's fault. Van turned around and lost five yards on 1st down. Mitch dropped an easy catch on 2nd. Puts us in third and long. I think you could clearly see JJ didn't like his first reads, so he went with the checkdown instead. There was still 5 minutes left in the game at that point. Trust our defense.

On the timeouts.... When they are taken doesn't seem to matter too much. They save the same amount of time either way. I think they worked well in this instance because we got the ball back after using the first two. Unfortunately the offense couldn't do much with it.

The only reason I could justify those two timeouts would be playing at such a high altitude and the defense was just gassed. Other than that - defense would likely have stopped them anyway and we would have gotten the ball back with plenty of time and three timeouts left. Taking the time outs allowed Wyoming to collect themselves if anything. Their offensive coordinator made terrible calls as well and we got the ball back only to shoot ourselves in the foot. Blaming Van for losing yards on that play is not sensible. He could have taken a knee and lost two yards less, but the blocks were not there period! By the way - they had not been there the whole damn game!

mtgrizrule said:
I have a feeling this will be a long unpleasant 2 weeks on egriz.

Coaching staff really over thought things on that last possession. The offense had just moved the ball well for a TD in the hurry up. Yet they decide to run the ball on 1st down, and go with shorter plays. Did the staff forget the offense was also at their best last season in a hurry up offense?

I really don't understand this staff at times.

On a positive note. The defense played well after the 1st Wyoming possession, up until they felt they had to stop tackling and go for stripping the ball. I'm really not that worried about the defense.

If you only run the football for 42 yards in a game you will not win. I don't care how bad the team you're playing is. The Griz had a 2.2 yard rushing average vs Wyo. That will not get it done.

CDAGRIZ said:
smarsh said:

I thought the same thing, but figured I didn't know something. 2nd and goal was the read option to #8, 3rd and goal was the QB rollout slide, refs reset the clock to 34 seconds, 4th and goal was the kneel with 12ish seconds left.

After having seen this staff in action over the past two years and in today's game, it wouldn't surprise me if they even knew there were 12 seconds left.

Back