• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

#5 Montana @ Wyoming Game Thread

billings_poke said:
pussycatkillerz said:
So Wyo takes a knee on 4th down with 11 seconds left and we don't get the ball with 11 seconds??? Wtf

TV clock was not the same as the game clock

What did the game clock say at the time of the kneel after the refs set it to 34 seconds and ran it?

bigskyguy said:
qwerty15ster said:
Guys, we just lost to an FBS team by 5 points with a BRAND new O-line. Let's chill out a little. We'll get better as the year goes on. There were a lot of positives in this game.
We lost to a team a good FCS teams would have beat today.

A good FCS team with a brand new O-line??? They will get better. I have a good feeling about this season. This game was much closer than I thought I it would be.

Copper Griz said:
qwerty15ster said:
Copper Griz said:
qwerty15ster said:
Guys, we just lost to an FBS team by 5 points with a BRAND new O-line. Let's chill out a little. We'll get better as the year goes on. There were a lot of positives in this game.

Yes - an FBS team that is very, very poor. The players may improve, but how about the coaching. Three years of scratch your head, what the hell is going on, why did they do that? The damn announcers were even confused as to what the heck was going on in the fourth with use of timeouts and the play calling on the last drive was atrocious. I hope you are correct about improving. The Griz fan base will begin losing their patience if not.

I really didn't think the play calling was that bad this game. The last series is really more of Van's and Saylor's fault. Van turned around and lost five yards on 1st down. Mitch dropped an easy catch on 2nd. Puts us in third and long. I think you could clearly see JJ didn't like his first reads, so he went with the checkdown instead. There was still 5 minutes left in the game at that point. Trust our defense.

On the timeouts.... When they are taken doesn't seem to matter too much. They save the same amount of time either way. I think they worked well in this instance because we got the ball back after using the first two. Unfortunately the offense couldn't do much with it.

The only reason I could justify those two timeouts would be playing at such a high altitude and the defense was just gassed. Other than that - defense would likely have stopped them anyway and we would have gotten the ball back with plenty of time and three timeouts left. Taking the time outs allowed Wyoming to collect themselves if anything. Their offensive coordinator made terrible calls as well and we got the ball back only to shoot ourselves in the foot. Blaming Van for losing yards on that play is not sensible. She could have taken a knee and lost two yards less, but the blocks were not there period! By the way - they had not been there the whole damn game!

Wyoming D line is Thin but before we have any injuries it is pretty damm good with one All MWC player and another who would have been in the hunt for MWC honors had he not gotten hurt early last year.

CV Griz Fan said:
mtgrizrule said:
I have a feeling this will be a long unpleasant 2 weeks on egriz.

Coaching staff really over thought things on that last possession. The offense had just moved the ball well for a TD in the hurry up. Yet they decide to run the ball on 1st down, and go with shorter plays. Did the staff forget the offense was also at their best last season in a hurry up offense?

I really don't understand this staff at times.

On a positive note. The defense played well after the 1st Wyoming possession, up until they felt they had to stop tackling and go for stripping the ball. I'm really not that worried about the defense.

If you only run the football for 42 yards in a game you will not win. I don't care how bad the team you're playing is. The Griz had a 2.2 yard rushing average vs Wyo. That will not get it done.

2.2 yards is exactly what the average was in the scrimmage. The offense has got to run the ball better or it's lights out!

CDAGRIZ said:
billings_poke said:
pussycatkillerz said:
So Wyo takes a knee on 4th down with 11 seconds left and we don't get the ball with 11 seconds??? Wtf

What did the game clock say at the time of the kneel after the refs set it to 34 seconds and ran it?

Don't know. Friend at game said Wyo QB kneeled with only a second or so left in game on the 4th down and last play. I was watching TV.

billings_poke said:
Copper Griz said:
qwerty15ster said:
Copper Griz said:
Yes - an FBS team that is very, very poor. The players may improve, but how about the coaching. Three years of scratch your head, what the hell is going on, why did they do that? The damn announcers were even confused as to what the heck was going on in the fourth with use of timeouts and the play calling on the last drive was atrocious. I hope you are correct about improving. The Griz fan base will begin losing their patience if not.

I really didn't think the play calling was that bad this game. The last series is really more of Van's and Saylor's fault. Van turned around and lost five yards on 1st down. Mitch dropped an easy catch on 2nd. Puts us in third and long. I think you could clearly see JJ didn't like his first reads, so he went with the checkdown instead. There was still 5 minutes left in the game at that point. Trust our defense.

On the timeouts.... When they are taken doesn't seem to matter too much. They save the same amount of time either way. I think they worked well in this instance because we got the ball back after using the first two. Unfortunately the offense couldn't do much with it.

The only reason I could justify those two timeouts would be playing at such a high altitude and the defense was just gassed. Other than that - defense would likely have stopped them anyway and we would have gotten the ball back with plenty of time and three timeouts left. Taking the time outs allowed Wyoming to collect themselves if anything. Their offensive coordinator made terrible calls as well and we got the ball back only to shoot ourselves in the foot. Blaming Van for losing yards on that play is not sensible. She could have taken a knee and lost two yards less, but the blocks were not there period! By the way - they had not been there the whole damn game!

Wyoming D line is Thin but before we have any injuries it is pretty damm good with one All MWC player and another who would have been in the hunt had he not gotten hurt last year.

I don't disagree with you Poke, but why call a play that has not worked all damn day long. Go at the strength of your opponent - with your greatest weakness being the O Line. I just can't make any sense of that call.

billings_poke said:
CDAGRIZ said:
billings_poke said:
pussycatkillerz said:

Don't know. Friend at game said Wyo QB kneeled with only a second or so left in game on the 4th down and last play. I was watching TV.

Got it. Thanks. I guess that confirms that we should have been allowed to run a play.

Copper Griz said:
billings_poke said:
Copper Griz said:
qwerty15ster said:

Wyoming D line is Thin but before we have any injuries it is pretty damm good with one All MWC player and another who would have been in the hunt had he not gotten hurt last year.

I don't disagree with you Poke, but why call a play that has not worked all damn day long. Go at the strength of your opponent - with your greatest weakness being the O Line. I just can't make any sense of that call.

Won't disagree. Wyo big Worry was our O line and QB play and that really showed. Although I think the Two wyo RBs were able to find some holes and Wicks is a load to bring down and fast for a big guy. You won't see many like him again this year.

NDSU will have better oline and QB play then Wyo does but our RB's are better. Good Luck.

NorthwestFresh said:
albinogriz said:
Sorry... Nobody really thought we "should" or maybe even "could" beat Wyo....
We'll be fine..

Sorry, but NDSU would have beat the Pokes by 40 points. 9/20/14 could be ugly. :shock:

Yea they said that would happen the last time we played them too. oops

I never draw too many conclusions from one game.

CDAGRIZ said:
NorthwestFresh said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Got it. Thanks. I guess that confirms that we should have been allowed to run a play.

It was actually 3rd down.

Crazy! ESPN has it wrong too then.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=400548179&period=4

And ESPN had to put in a drive for UM at the end of the game to make the drive chart make sense.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/drivechart?gameId=400548179

I don't think I have ever seen that one

Oh yea name a damn kicker and quit the horse crap...we scored two touchdowns and ended with 12 points. This kicking fiasco has got to stop!

Dunno, I'm not near as devastated as some of you seem to be. I was expecting worse and I'm an optimist. <<< Does that make sense. NDSU, yes likely we are screwed but I see us doing good things this season including giving EWU a good game.

Cheers

billings_poke said:
CDAGRIZ said:
NorthwestFresh said:
CDAGRIZ said:

It was actually 3rd down.

Crazy! ESPN has it wrong too then.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=400548179&period=4

And ESPN had to put in a drive for UM at the end of the game to make the drive chart make sense.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/drivechart?gameId=400548179

I don't think I have ever seen that one

I think it's because a turnover on downs with time remaining usually stops the clock, but maybe I'm wrong. NWFresh says it was actually third down, though, so . . .

signedbewildered said:
Dunno, I'm not near as devastated as some of you seem to be. I was expecting worse and I'm an optimist. <<< Does that make sense. NDSU, yes likely we are screwed but I see us doing good things this season including giving EWU a good game.

Cheers

I agree. The Griz played fairly well on both sides of the ball for the first game of the year. The offense (especially the OL) has quite a bit to work on, but as I said earlier, the defense is more than 1/2 way there. The Griz D looked tough more often than not tonight and I only see improvement from here.
Take it week by week, and get better from here on out.
Go Griz!

Back