• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

AD Opening at USU: Kent Haslam?

kemajic said:
Willie said:
I think he likes UM too much.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Let's see; work for Engstrom in Left City or work for anyone else at 3X the salary in home territory. A real tough decision for him if the offer comes.

Excellent. A good way to wash away the Engstrom stain/taint on his resume.

bgbigdog said:
So if he takes an offer, is his replacement on the current AD team?
Sundberg and Gee would be discussed. We're not out of the woods yet; we could benefit from someone with more experience.

kemajic said:
bgbigdog said:
Sundberg and Gee would be discussed. We're not out of the woods yet; we could benefit from someone with more experience.

Sundberg - an emphatic "yes"
Gee - an emphatic "no"

NavyBlue said:
USU's AD was just hired away By Pitt of the ACC. Scott Barnes no doubt, did more than any USU AD ever has, so he will be hard to replace. I thought it was interesting that a couple of people on the USU board mentioned Kent Haslam, as a possible replacement. What is the general thought of AD Haslam among UM fans?

http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In my mind, Haslam has been far and away the best AD UM has had in many, many years. I pray usu hires someone else.

EverettGriz said:
NavyBlue said:
USU's AD was just hired away By Pitt of the ACC. Scott Barnes no doubt, did more than any USU AD ever has, so he will be hard to replace. I thought it was interesting that a couple of people on the USU board mentioned Kent Haslam, as a possible replacement. What is the general thought of AD Haslam among UM fans?

http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In my mind, Haslam has been far and away the best AD UM has had in many, many years. I pray usu hires someone else.
What in the world do you have to base that on?

WaGriz4life said:
EverettGriz said:
NavyBlue said:

I could probably create a list pages long. But I'll just go wih the obvious:

Stitt hire.
TDC hire
Started a softball program from the ground up
Built a beautiful softball facility.
Pinkerton hire
Academic Center nearing completion.
Best in class weight rooms and locker rooms to be completed in 2 years
Better scheduling in football and basketball
High GPA rates
Low arrest rates

Again, there's plenty more. But that list alone is plenty to cement him as the best AD UM has had in a long time.

WaGriz4life said:
EverettGriz said:
NavyBlue said:

He has made excellent hires in softball, men's basketball, football (I don't know enuf about the volley ball hire to have an opinion).
He has been the point man in getting the academic center, softball stadium, football lights done. He was working hard on these while still at GSA. He obviously has a hand in the Champions Center project.
He has been at the helm of the Department thru a trying time and we have remained competitive.
He is a likable and approachable guy, who will just sit down and talk. I have known every AD since Wally Swank. While I don't dislike any of these guys. Kent doing as good a job as any of them.

I was and still and am upset when O'Day was screwed over by being let go. Nonetheless, I have to admit, Kent has done a marvelous job. The progress made in facility upgrades and funding are certainly momentous. I also applaud him for his hires with DeCuire, Pinkerton, and Stitt.

Unlike some, I don't believe he is Engstrom's puppet. However, he likely honored Engstrom's non support of hiring Hauck back. As it turns out, whatever the reasons for Stitt's hire, to date it appears to be a great hire. I like the fact that Haslam had the fortitude and confidence to go outside of the security of hiring within. I also like how well he grasped onto what the fans would like to see in our new football coach. Many of us complained here, and I am sure via email or in person on having a better offensive minded coach. As it turned out, Stitt was the best offensive mind within our reach. I honestly believe the Stitt hiring will be among the best hires in GRIZ history for what this program needed at this time. The only concern I have now of Stitt's hiring, is if he quickly returns GRIZ football to being a national title contender, can we keep him longer than 3 years? Yes, I know he is loyal and particular in what he wants in a head coaching position. The fact is, over the next 3 years, there will be a lot more coaching turnovers in BCS football. Just never know if 1 of those vacancies will be 1 he would fit his criteria, or not?

The DeCuire hire is looking to be great too. At worse, DeCuire's hiring is and will be historic. It is the hire that means Montana has finally caught up to the times in college athletics. Meaning the GRIZ finally hiring a minority as head coach. Amazing enough, our fan base also supported DeCuire's hire so well. Amazing what DeCuire did in year 1 as head coach. Imagine how well he can do when he has all his own players in place and can play a style he wants to. Also amazing is the GRIZ landing Michael Oguinne. DeCuire is not afraid of the big boys and will not back down to them when it comes to recruiting. The caliber of players he is offering is amazing. He is more than capable of landing 1 3 star recruit or better every year. Oguinne is rate among the top 25 PG's in nation!!!

Then there is GRIZ softball. He got a great coach in Pinkerton. To top that off, look at the softball facility the program already has. That is a top notch facility. Hard to believe that facility is for a 1st year program.

O'day laid the foundation for many of these things and got the wheels turning. Haslam fine tuned everything and closed the deals in all these things. As we see it now, the transition from O'day to Haslam went as smoothly as possible. New AD hires normally cause much more turmoil and shake up within the various programs and athletic department. Very seldom does a transition go as smooth as this one did.

If, Haslam has hit a grand slam with Stitt, the question is can the GRIZ find another great AD to keep building what Haslam now has in place? How much longer will he be at Montana? It sounds to me that USU would be a terrific fit for him, personally and professionally.

bgbigdog said:
You guys wheel Guffey out of retirement and let him add to his state retirement. :clap:

Kem, Do you think our school will be in the Big Sky Conference forever? I would rather be playing Utah State than Southern Utah. I remember when we were in the same conference and Utah State played at Dornblaser (old). The answer is we probably will be in the Big Sky forever.

Spanky said:
Kem, Do you think our school will be in the Big Sky Conference forever? I would rather be playing Utah State than Southern Utah. I remember when we were in the same conference and Utah State played at Dornblaser (old). The answer is we probably will be in the Big Sky forever.
Even when it becomes DII again...

mtgrizrule said:
The DeCuire hire is looking to be great too. At worse, DeCuire's hiring is and will be historic. It is the hire that means Montana has finally caught up to the times in college athletics. Meaning the GRIZ finally hiring a minority as head coach. Amazing enough, our fan base also supported DeCuire's hire so well. Amazing what DeCuire did in year 1 as head coach. Imagine how well he can do when he has all his own players in place and can play a style he wants to. Also amazing is the GRIZ landing Michael Oguinne. DeCuire is not afraid of the big boys and will not back down to them when it comes to recruiting. The caliber of players he is offering is amazing. He is more than capable of landing 1 3 star recruit or better every year. Oguinne is rate among the top 25 PG's in nation!!!
The first task at hand for the new AD at USU is to hire a new Bball coach. If it's Haslam he could again turn to DeCuire. USU could be sold on a Bball coach from Montana.

kemajic said:
mtgrizrule said:
The first task at hand for the new AD at USU is to hire a new Bball coach. If it's Haslam he could again turn to DeCuire. USU could be sold on a Bball coach from Montana.

Tim Duryea was hired as BB Coach at USU March 30.

Kent is from Logan so a pretty strong relationship. Also the old AD Barnes was the AD at Eastern Washington before USU. I can see Kent as a front runner.

Haslam has been AD for two and a half years, half of what Barnes had at EWU. Moos had five years at UM before Oregon. Morrill had many years HC experience including seven at CSU before coming to USU. Dennehey had four years at UM before jumping to USU, and it didn't work out. Look at MSU, Lindemann, Fullerton, Fields, all long term. He may be from Logan, but he's a BYU boy. Utahans are rather viceral about BYU, they either love 'em or hate 'em. Three or four years from now, maybe he's a candidate. Not now.

statler & waldorf said:
Haslam has been AD for two and a half years, half of what Barnes had at EWU. Moos had five years at UM before Oregon. Morrill had many years HC experience including seven at CSU before coming to USU. Dennehey had four years at UM before jumping to USU, and it didn't work out. Look at MSU, Lindemann, Fullerton, Fields, all long term. He may be from Logan, but he's a BYU boy. Utahans are rather viceral about BYU, they either love 'em or hate 'em. Three or four years from now, maybe he's a candidate. Not now.

But...as we all know $$$$$ talks. :D

My point of reference was Ut state hired an AD from a lower division football in the Big Sky to Ut state. Haslam is an AD at a lower division football program in the Big Sky as well except that Mont. is the cream of the Big Sky. No reason they cannot do it again especially with Haslam's ties to Ut. The BYU thing I don't think necessarily hurts him but it is also not a huge positive. He could shake the pockets of a lot of wealthy Ut State mormon alums and continue the fund raising that Barnes has been pretty successful at who is not of the LDS faith.

Back