• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

AD Opening at USU: Kent Haslam?

It is now being said that our biggest booster doesn't want a Mormon. If that is true, I don't think you have to worry about losing Kent.

NavyBlue said:
statler & waldorf said:
I just don't see them going after a unproven candidate. UM they are not. If, for some reason, they do offer him the job, he's gone. The BYU angle is peculiarly Utahan. I lived in that sphere a long time and still don't truely understand it. USU and UU have fair rivalry but both séem to HATE BYU.

You have a pretty good grasp of the situation, UU and USU don't like each other much but both DESPISE BYU even more. Since Utah was admitted into the PAC some of thier fans have gotten pretty full of themselves though.

Yeah I didn't fully understand that dynamic until recently. Living in Southern Idaho the cult of BYU is strong and the elitist attitude surrounding BYU is mind boggling. Always got the impression from BYU alums and fans that Logan was some hick school in the sticks. I get now after spending some time in Logan the past two summers, that A) it isn't a hick school and B) culture wise it is preferable to Provo in every possible way. Yet the BYU pull is strong even in Logan. They don't get the home town discount in recruiting for football for sure.

As good as Logan High has been in recent years, and listening to coach Favero, Utah State has had significant difficulty (until recently) in getting those kids to stay home and play in Logan. I get the dislike, especially from the football end where BYU has been beyond mediocre over the past decade, and where both UU and USU have seen success. The force is strong with BYU and they know it.

Grizfan-24, you are spot on! I never cease to be amazed at the superiority complex that BYU fans and alums have. They are intollerable, I wouldn't want to stay in Utah and work with them or around them. But it used to be if BYU offered kids would go there, things are getting better for sure for USU.

I want Kent to stay.
He and I visit many times during the year and we don't drink together but many of my friends don't drink and we seem to stay alive. I want all of our UM people to get ahead as I think that is what it's all about. I would want all of our coaches to stay but lets face the truth. If they get a new offer of double-triple salary etc. why the hell should they stay at the U?
My point above is that more "new" people are available and will be ready to step in and do the job. I will whine and cry with the rest of you but it is a simple fact of life as we move on.
Be glad and happy for these young people. Robin Selvig has stayed and I love him for that but he his among the few.
I hope Kent stays...

Pitt took four and a half months to fill their AD position, so calm down and take a breath. Try looking at the situation form the USU position. Haslam is still filling out the blanks on his resume. His time will come, but not just now. And, he's from BYU. :D

Of course, if Montana moved to the conference in which they belong, this wouldn't even be a conversation point.

Just sayin.

NavyBlue said:
Grizfan-24, you are spot on! I never cease to be amazed at the superiority complex that BYU fans and alums have. They are intollerable, I wouldn't want to stay in Utah and work with them or around them. But it used to be if BYU offered kids would go there, things are getting better for sure for USU.

Utah State was on the rise because Gary Anderson turned that place around. A great Ex-Ute
Coach. I'd like to see him back with Utes if Kyle ever splits. And it was close earlier this year. I love Whit but he is an Ex-Cougar......Can you fully trust a BYU alum?

EverettGriz said:
Of course, if Montana moved to the conference in which they belong, this wouldn't even be a conversation point.

Just sayin.
And that conference is what? And who is inviting UM where???

CV Griz Fan said:
NavyBlue said:

Utah State was on the rise because Gary Anderson turned that place around. A great Ex-Ute
Coach. I'd like to see him back with Utes if Kyle ever splits. And it was close earlier this year. I love Whit but he is an Ex-Cougar......Can you fully trust a BYU alum?

Gary Andersen was a big part of the turn around for sure, but so was Pres. Albrecht who sees the value in athletics, something USU hadn't had in a VERY long time, and AD Barnes who's fundraising led to many facilities improvements that helped get into the MWC. Without those three people we would be int he same position as Idaho and New Mexico State.

I get what you say about BYU alums, but Albrecht is one, and probably the best president that USU has had in my lifetime. The Utah schools do seem do pass around football coaches, LaVell Edwards is a USU alum.

'68griz said:
EverettGriz said:

Just sayin.
And that conference is what? And who is inviting UM where???
I realize that the Griz don't currently have an invitation, but I would love for them to be part of the MWC some day. Just my opinion.

Kent's not going anywhere....yet. Someday yes. But not this year and most likely not until the Champion's Center is up and running in the fall of 2017. 2018 and beyond is the most likely scenario.

This article says that Haslam hasn't talked to USU.

http://ravallirepublic.com/missoula/sports/college/montana/article_a5e9c8b1-289a-579f-a689-1fda82437e7c.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NavyBlue said:
This article says that Haslam hasn't talked to USU.

http://ravallirepublic.com/missoula/sports/college/montana/article_a5e9c8b1-289a-579f-a689-1fda82437e7c.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Uh oh. That's the kiss o' death.

Back