• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Alex Neale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I agree Bigkid, except for the parting you shot you have to take at him in telling everyone to move on. Why does it have to be like that? No wonder a majority of these kids become somewhat disenchanted with college football fan bases.

Really Hav why don't you take a step back. While he plays at UNLV do you really think the sports news will reach my table regarding him in any way shape or form? Hell no! Him making it to the NFL is a long shot at UNLV. So why do you think I will hear about this kid if he isn't a Griz! Parting shot!! :lol: :lol: he chose to move on so should we.

Bigkid, it was a sour grapes shot. No need to deny it. And you didn't say you, you said WE will never hear about him at any level again. Like I said, it was a shot at the kid. People on this board saying and acting the same way you all accused MSU fans and BN posters of acting when Daum flipped.

bigkid said:
Really Hav why don't you take a step back. While he plays at UNLV do you really think the sports news will reach my table regarding him in any way shape or form? Hell no! Him making it to the NFL is a long shot at UNLV. So why do you think I will hear about this kid if he isn't a Griz! Parting shot!! :lol: :lol: he chose to move on so should we.

bigkid, I think it is a longshot for a kid from UM to make the NFL also. Hav's point is that why do some Griz fan's feel so insecure that they have to take shots at any kid that decides to go elsewhere...and he has a point...and you joined the club too.

Well said Grizindabox. I am scared to death of what this board will look like if Jesse Sims announces he's going to MSU in the next couple of days. I may just block myself from this site for a while if that happens.

havgrizfan said:
Intuitive, bottom line, someone on this thread called Neale's character into question. That's BS, and I don't care how hard of a verbal commit he was. It's 100 percent hypocritical to call Neale's character into question, but praise another kid for doing the same thing. I don't care HOW BAD DD wanted to be a Griz (And BTW, I'm damn glad he is. And I know for a fact he's an outstanding young man), but the fact is, he too gave a commitment to a school, a program, a head coach and a full scholarship, and then he changed his mind - JUST LIKE NEALE.

And yeah, here on Egriz, didn't we RIP Cody Kempt for calling out that kid's character?? Pretty sure I read that on here somewhere.

Good post Hav. Playing FBS means a lot to some recruits. Nobody really knows this player's motives. Maybe Neale was waiting for the FBS offer. Remember, a verbal agreement is not binding on either party. This type of stuff happens all of the time. Don't bash the guy......

Wow :shock: Ok I really hope this kid gets straight A's in very class he takes,makes the presidents list every semester, becomes the best lineman to ever play the game, and gets paid the most by any lineman ever! Oh if only he would have become a Griz!! Moving on...

Things are what they are...

If a player picks another school for whatever reason, I say good luck and hope your choice is wise.

This one stings a little, but all I have to say is...

"Whos up next?"

havgrizfan, the real bottom line is that the de-commitments were under DIFFERENT CIRCUMSTANCES.

Daum didn't want msu, he wanted the full-ride. So when his team of choice upped his offer to a full-ride, he took it. NO ONE thinks twice or faults a kid for that! That's an obvious choice.

That is different than Neale committing to a full-ride, then picking a different full-ride. That is what some people question.

And for the record, I don't care when kids change their minds on non-binding verbal commitments. Only pen to paper matters.

I guess i will just agree to disagree, because THE REAL BOTTOM LINE IS, no FAN, no matter how devoted, no matter how much they spend, has a right to question the character of an 18 year old kid, WHO THEY DONT EVEN KNOW BTW, just because that kid didn't pick the school of that fan's liking. It's absolutely absurd and extremely immature IMHO.

havgrizfan said:
I guess i will just agree to disagree, because THE REAL BOTTOM LINE IS, no FAN, no matter how devoted, no matter how much they spend, has a right to question the character of an 18 year old kid, WHO THEY DONT EVEN KNOW BTW, just because that kid didn't pick the school of that fan's liking. It's absolutely absurd and extremely immature IMHO.

Roger that!

Why is it so difficult to wish a kid the best when they don't choose the GRIZ ? Question the decision as you wish. It does not matter. I hope Alex has a great career at UNLV, does well in school, and even makes the NFL.

mtgrizrule said:
Why is it so difficult to wish a kid the best when they don't choose the GRIZ ? Question the decision as you wish. It does not matter. I hope Alex has a great career at UNLV, does well in school, and even makes the NFL.

^^^ this ^^^

we still have a strong class without neale. we do need offensive linemen and hopefully that's who the coaches are looking for. villanueva is the only pure lineman in the class.

My biggest issue with the verbal is that we know, they know, coaches know it is not binding. Now I get the fact that kids may use it as a methodology to gain notoriety and put pressure on desired places they want to play. Can the UofM get played in the process? Of course and it does happen.

However because I see it from the other end that people have way too much access to high school recruits. Logically kids should be allowed to verbal and rescind those verbals when they have a better option and I much prefer they do it in private. I think it is better for the kids to be honest, but they are pushed to get their commitments out there by a lot of people who might not have their best interests in mind. Seen that first hand.

Ena, Neale, Baker, Clark are great finds by the staff early on in the process and got them into the fold, yet for all of those kids they would be dumb not to consider a higher profile scholarship offer. Yes Montana has success at its level, and yes UNLV, New Mexico, Idaho are train wrecks of FBS programs, but they are FBS. So it shouldn't say anything less about their character that they aren't sticking to their verbal when a better offer comes a long. We are a nice car, it runs well, but the FBS at whatever level does have the appearance of being a nicer car regardless of our impression. Either way those kids are getting their school paid for, and if they can parlay one offer into another then more power to them. Those kids are forced because of the market to play their hands as they see them. Sometimes we get lucky with those kids (Sirmon is one, Simis another) where those kids are going to honor their early Verbals even in spite of a lot of attention from schools that are coming in late and hot that would put them in a program that is much higher on the totem than Montana.

Grizfan-24 said:
My biggest issue with the verbal is that we know, they know, coaches know it is not binding. Now I get the fact that kids may use it as a methodology to gain notoriety and put pressure on desired places they want to play. Can the UofM get played in the process? Of course and it does happen.

However because I see it from the other end that people have way too much access to high school recruits. Logically kids should be allowed to verbal and rescind those verbals when they have a better option and I much prefer they do it in private. I think it is better for the kids to be honest, but they are pushed to get their commitments out there by a lot of people who might not have their best interests in mind. Seen that first hand.

Ena, Neale, Baker, Clark are great finds by the staff early on in the process and got them into the fold, yet for all of those kids they would be dumb not to consider a higher profile scholarship offer. Yes Montana has success at its level, and yes UNLV, New Mexico, Idaho are train wrecks of FBS programs, but they are FBS. So it shouldn't say anything less about their character that they aren't sticking to their verbal when a better offer comes a long. We are a nice car, it runs well, but the FBS at whatever level does have the appearance of being a nicer car regardless of our impression. Either way those kids are getting their school paid for, and if they can parlay one offer into another then more power to them. Those kids are forced because of the market to play their hands as they see them. Sometimes we get lucky with those kids (Sirmon is one, Simis another) where those kids are going to honor their early Verbals even in spite of a lot of attention from schools that are coming in late and hot that would put them in a program that is much higher on the totem than Montana.
Good post. Good perspective..... I've posted that I'm disappointed we didn't keep all these guys. However, most of these guys really pumped the program through their social media accounts. I can only think that that itself helps on landing other recruits.

Post Falls Griz said:
Grizfan-24 said:

Good post. Good perspective..... I've posted that I'm disappointed we didn't keep all these guys. However, most of these guys really pumped the program through their social media accounts. I can only think that that itself helps on landing other recruits.

Well said. With 100 of the 120 FCS teams in bowls of one shape or another, (ok, slight exaggeration), but you can't blame anyone for looking for opportunities. Cam Chancellor mentioned in some kind of recent article that Va Tech called the day before commit day and it was his only FBS offer. He was headed to JMU otherwise.

signedbewildered said:
mtgrizrule said:

^^^ this ^^^
+1

grizcountry420 said:
statler & waldorf said:
I think of verbal commits as a measure of the recruits character. Physical attributes can be measured and quantified, but not character, at least not until much later. Being recruited by a high school coach from last year also reflects his judgment.

you mad bro? Christ! Im sure you had it all figured out at that age, didnt ya?

;)

Well, that make two of us. A 17-18 year old, the world kissing their ass for the last four years and telling them they walk on water, parent(s), friends and girlfriends pressuring them one way or another, combined with hormones churning, then in an instant POOF!!! they 'commit' then 'decommit' after one or more of the above seems more important. At any rate, someone at this age is still evolving. The character or judgment issue will have to be evaluated at a later date. Just something to consider. I hope Mr. Neale turns out great, and his decision is right for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back