• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

All but one conference profitable after CFP playoff

The big picture had pretty well been hashed over with thus discussion. The MWC is at the mercy of the BIG conferences. UM has no control over that.
Now, what does UM have to do to be ready, if and when the MWC comes calling?

Htowngriz said:
Are you folks in the move up crowd content with the fact that UM would never, ever compete for a national championship again once the move was made?
If I were a player I would prefer this over the championship game in Firsco.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25176349/pac-12-mountain-west-discuss-future-bowl-in-australia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NavyBlue said:
Htowngriz said:
Are you folks in the move up crowd content with the fact that UM would never, ever compete for a national championship again once the move was made?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25176349/pac-12-mountain-west-discuss-future-bowl-in-australia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What's most ironic about the inability to "compete for a national championship ever again" if we moved up is that 98% of the PLAYERS on our team, if given the skill and the opportunity, would go play for even a lower level FBS team in a HEARTBEAT. That's why we're constantly competing with the Idahos, CSU's, Wyomings, AFA's, etc. for players. And normally, when they've got an offer from one of those schools, they choose THEM over us...so, apparently it's not all that important of a differentiation to the players....

AZGrizFan said:
NavyBlue said:
Htowngriz said:

What's most ironic about the inability to "compete for a national championship ever again" if we moved up is that 98% of the PLAYERS on our team, if given the skill and the opportunity, would go play for even a lower level FBS team in a HEARTBEAT. That's why we're constantly competing with the Idahos, CSU's, Wyomings, AFA's, etc. for players. And normally, when they've got an offer from one of those schools, they choose THEM over us...so, apparently it's not all that important of a differentiation to the players....

No they wouldn't. In fact, many of them turn down opportunities to play for lower level FBS teams. Idaho offers UM recruits frequently, but has any kid from Montana ever chosen Montana over the Griz? Don't know; just asking the question.

NavyBlue said:
Htowngriz said:

I doubt that any Griz player would chose that over playing in the FCS championship, whether in Frisco or anywhere else.

EverettGriz said:
Let's be honest, HTown. We don't have the opportunity to play for a "national" championship now. We get a chance to play a title game held at a soccer field with kickoff at 10:00 am on ESPNU. 95% of sports fans don't even know the game occurred.

And a move to a better conference is more than about just football. It would give all of UM's sports more opportunities, particularly in basketball, where they DO have a chance to play for a true national championship. Does that mean they'll win it? Of course not. But that's true of the vast, vast majority of DI teams. I just want Montana playing where Montana belongs, and I think we can ALL agree that ain't the bsc.

At this point in time, I like where UM is, and believe the Big Sky is a good conference and a good place. So no, we can't all agree that it ain't the Big Sky. In fact, if you polled the fans at games, I think the majority would agree with me.

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
Let's be honest, HTown. We don't have the opportunity to play for a "national" championship now. We get a chance to play a title game held at a soccer field with kickoff at 10:00 am on ESPNU. 95% of sports fans don't even know the game occurred.

And a move to a better conference is more than about just football. It would give all of UM's sports more opportunities, particularly in basketball, where they DO have a chance to play for a true national championship. Does that mean they'll win it? Of course not. But that's true of the vast, vast majority of DI teams. I just want Montana playing where Montana belongs, and I think we can ALL agree that ain't the bsc.

At this point in time, I like where UM is, and believe the Big Sky is a good conference and a good place. So no, we can't all agree that it ain't the Big Sky. In fact, if you polled the fans at games, I think the majority would agree with me.

First, I disagree with your premise that a majority would prefer to remain in the bsc and play noco than SDSU.

That aside, why are we limiting it to those at the game? As I've noted, part of the reason the move is necessary is to benefit every sport at Montana, as well as to raise the prestige level. So we should be asking all sports fans, community members, supporters, donors, friends and alumni, should we not?

Zootown Rox said:
They have playoffs now, and are expected to expand. So if UM won it's games then they would compete for a national championship. No different than what we have now.

I love this place! The delusion is so entertaining! The Griz haven't won a title in 15 years, yet they'd be competing against the Ohio States and Alabamas, and darn it, just could play for a national title in FBS! :thumb:

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

First, I disagree with your premise that a majority would prefer to remain in the bsc and play noco than SDSU.

That aside, why are we limiting it to those at the game? As I've noted, part of the reason the move is necessary is to benefit every sport at Montana, as well as to raise the prestige level. So we should be asking all sports fans, community members, supporters, donors, friends and alumni, should we not?

So, who is going to pay for not only the 22 additional football scholarships, but also the 22 women's scholarships that go with that, under Title IX? More likely is that track and field gets shut down, and resources will have to go to improve facilities. A $14m football facility may seem like big-time in FCS, but it would be a joke compared to even Boise State. Hell, UM doesn't even have an indoor football practice facility, which puts them behind many MWC programs right off the bat. Good luck getting the elite warm-weather/big-state athletes necessary to compete in FBS to practice outdoors each November and December in Missoula, MT, which may as well be bumblefudge Egypt for players that matter.

Yeah, we've heard it all before.

Thing is, though, no one ever moves down, but plenty move up.

Tough to reconcile. I guess there must be plenty of dough.

NorthwestFresh said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

So, who is going to pay for not only the 22 additional football scholarships, but also the 22 women's scholarships that go with that, under Title IX? More likely is that track and field gets shut down, and resources will have to go to improve facilities. A $14m football facility may seem like big-time in FCS, but it would be a joke compared to even Boise State. Hell, UM doesn't even have an indoor football practice facility, which puts them behind many MWC programs right off the bat. Good luck getting the elite warm-weather/big-state athletes necessary to compete in FBS to practice outdoors each November and December in Missoula, MT, which may as well be bumblefudge Egypt for players that matter.

Actually, rumor is that an indoor practice facility is one of the next items to be built after the academic center and champions center are built.

AZGrizFan said:
I just can't envision a scenario where the Little 5 are the ONLY level that doesn't participate in some form of a playoff--at some point.

So, the argument is that the Griz should move up from FCS, with a national title that apparently doesn't matter (I dare you to say that to Dave Dickenson, Scott Gragg, etc. etc.), so they can compete for a "Little 5" championship that nobody will care about in the grand scheme of things.

OK

get'em_griz said:
Actually, rumor is that an indoor practice facility is one of the next items to be built after the academic center and champions center are built.

You're already having trouble raising the $7m that is supposed to match the Washington boys' donation. I'd be surprised if ground is broken on the Champions Center in the next 3 years, let alone ready for the 2017 season.

EverettGriz said:

It takes money to make money. A big advantage you guys have are the Washingtons. Maybe Kevin or Kyle bonk their head, go a bit crazy, and decide to fund the entire program. Even with that, getting players to Missoula that can consistently play week-in/week-out against other FBS athletes would be difficult.

I see a lot of 4-8/5-7 seasons, donations drying up, and MSU being much better at the FCS level due to in-state players who aren't good enough for the FBS level not going to the Griz. Sure, we'd lose Cat-Griz every year, but so what? On the off-chance that the 'Cats would win a game against the Griz, you'd never hear the end of it.

NorthwestFresh said:
get'em_griz said:

You're already having trouble raising the $7m that is supposed to match the Washington boys' donation. I'd be surprised if ground is broken on the Champions Center in the next 3 years, let alone ready for the 2017 season.

You're so full of shit. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Wait. you're a cat fan. Sorry for the duplicity.

EverettGriz said:

Wanna bet? I do find it sad that a university that is seeing a decline in enrollment is trying to raise $14m for a new weight room, but then again, that's always been the priority in Missoula, hasn't it?

NorthwestFresh said:
EverettGriz said:

Wanna bet? I do find it sad that a university that is seeing a decline in enrollment is trying to raise $14m for a new weight room, but then again, that's always been the priority in Missoula, hasn't it?

Yes! I DO want to bet. However, cat fans never pay off, and since I know I'm going to win, it would be fruitless.

Interesting. I find it sad that we're stuck in a conference with the likes of you and little brother team.

EverettGriz said:
Yes! I DO want to bet. However, cat fans never pay off, and since I know I'm going to win, it would be fruitless.

Interesting. I find it sad that we're stuck in a conference with the likes of you and little brother team.

True or false.

You are less than 50% after 6 months of raising the additional $7m.

NorthwestFresh said:
EverettGriz said:

It takes money to make money. A big advantage you guys have are the Washingtons. Maybe Kevin or Kyle bonk their head, go a bit crazy, and decide to fund the entire program. Even with that, getting players to Missoula that can consistently play week-in/week-out against other FBS athletes would be difficult.I see a lot of 4-8/5-7 seasons, donations drying up, and MSU being much better at the FCS level due to in-state players who aren't good enough for the FBS level not going to the Griz. Sure, we'd lose Cat-Griz every year, but so what? On the off-chance that the 'Cats would win a game against the Griz, you'd never hear the end of it.
Utah State is able to do it in Logan, UT. We are competing pretty well in the MWC. A town considered "Mormonville", with no bars and nightlife hardly to speak of, things that many college age kids like. If USU can do it with its "unique" local culture, why couldn't UM?

NorthwestFresh said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

It can't be done, it can't be done! Don't even try! Honest question how does Utah State do it?

Back