• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Analysis of the MSU Bobcats

Atlanta Griz1 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
I was going to post this in the bobcat thread from last night's game, but after wading through page-after-page discussing such enlightening topics as the Bobcat announcers

Atlanta Griz1 said:
First of all, I only read the last two pages of the bobcat game thread....

I guess I can see two pages being about your maximum.

You lemmings do provide lots of laughter on this site, I will agree to that. It's just that others are laughing AT YOU, not WITH YOU.

pot-kettle.jpg

Atlanta Griz1 said:
I was going to post this in the bobcat thread from last night's game, but after wading through page-after-page discussing such enlightening topics as the Bobcat announcers :sleep: , I decided to give my thoughts on the Cats in a new thread.

This game was very typical for a FCS team moving down to play a Div. II team. It was close for about 1 1/2 quarters, until the Fort Lewis starters got tired, and their subs were not good enough to play with the Cats. Don't be fooled by how bad the Cats looked most of the first half. They are better than that, but not nearly as good as the hype surrounding their team this year.

Here are my thoughts:

1) The Cat offense is not nearly as diverse as they would have you believe. Their O-line is all back, but so what? They were not that good last year, and are not very good this year either. Remember how well we defensed them last season? It will not be different this year.

2) Prokop is a great running QB, similar in ability to the NDSU QB, but not as big. He is a serviceable passer, but nothing special. Could not believe that Fort Lewis did not spy Prokop in the first half, as he was the only weapon the Cats had, and it seemed like he ran the ball about 50% of the plays.

3) You stop Prokop from running, you stop the Cat offense. He will not beat you with his arm, and their backs are very average behind an average O-line.

4) The Cat defense is no better than last season, and maybe not as good. We should be able to score lots of points on them.

5) It will be very difficult for Prokop to stay healthy this season, considering how many times he runs the ball. He is gonna get hit often and hard.

6) In summary, if Gus can stay healthy and play in the Griz/Cat game, we should be able to win yet again in Bozo-land. However, if Gus goes down, it will be a different ball game.
Agreed that they put waaaay too much pressure on Prokop, unless you are Cal Poly or Georgia Tech you can't ask your QB to run that much. Plus....from the sounds of it their offensive line isn't all that it's been hyped up to be.

I will disagree on one point....I think that our depth at QB will be ok this year, especially as the season goes on. I think Stitt is a brilliant HC, OC, and QB coach and can adjust the offense to fit Chalich or Simis's capabilities.

Either case, I think we are hanging 50+ on these guys and keeping them under 20 again.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
You MUST read the game thread feom our resident geniuses to be valid. :lol:

Or, just refrain from talking shit about the game thread before expressing the same ideas expressed therein and then admitting that you didn't read the game thread. :lol:

It is ridiculous trying to get a read on the Cat offense or defense from a game against a lower division team. They had no reason to use or show more "diversity" in a game like that. Truer evaluations can be made when they play better competition.

As for Prukop, I agree. If he has to run as often as last season, he very well could be injured this season. I feel the Cat offense will be about the same as last season. Their defense was uncharacteristically terrible for their standards last season. One would think, they can only improve and progress forward this season.

Now back to talking about the GRIZ.

mtgrizrule said:
It is ridiculous trying to get a read on the Cat offense or defense from a game against a lower division team. They had no reason to use or show more "diversity" in a game like that. Truer evaluations can be made when they play better competition.

As for Prukop, I agree. If he has to run as often as last season, he very well could be injured this season. I feel the Cat offense will be about the same as last season. Their defense was uncharacteristically terrible for their standards last season. One would think, they can only improve and progress forward this season.

I agree to a certain extent. I was surprised, however, how the Ft. Lewis D was able to contain their run for most of the first half. Prukop missed some wide open receivers but I thought Newell would have a better first half than he did and MSU's O-Line would be able to take control sooner.

Htowngriz said:
JBS said:
That long winded analysis could be condensed to 3 words. The bobcats suck.

Dammit! Bears repeating I guess.
Can't be said enough. I think Funk and Wagnels should dedicate a full page to the fact that they suck in every new edition. In both the B book and the S book.

When the cats got a first down last night, did the fans claw frantically at the air and go "rawr"? That shit is hilarious.

Growler, that was a good analysis, but my scout friend tells me Prukop is high up on their board already, mainly because he has no off the field issues. So you might be wrong about him only being "servicable"

mtgrizrule said:

Pretty much summed it up. There's really not much to analyze at this point. The Griz were underrated and the cats seem overrated, as usual.

havgrizfan said:
Growler, that was a good analysis, but my scout friend tells me Prukop is high up on their board already, mainly because he has no off the field issues. So you might be wrong about him only being "servicable"

Give Gus a few games and he'll be higher than Prukop. Book it.

Htowngriz said:
havgrizfan said:

Give Gus a few games and he'll be higher than Prukop. Book it.

Agreed. I'll even go a step further and say that our o-line is actually better than the cats :eek: . People were so hung-up on last year's line going into this. Schmaing, Luke, and a bigger, stronger Reese makes for a very different line.

Gus has a better group of receivers than prukop. He seems to run through his reads well and finds the open guy. This should be fun to watch this unfold. :thumb:

Back